E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW Strut Brace vs. Cross Strut Brace

02-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
BMW Strut Brace vs. Cross Strut Brace

I have a 2008 335xi, E90, sport package, and wheel upgrade. i had read that some w/ a BMW (335, i or xi) have used BMW performance CF strut brace,
and were able to make it work. so i gave it a shot. after spending $900 and change i had that sharp looking CF brace in my hands. this is one sharp looking
brace to display under your hood. so i remover inner most bolt on each tower then the nut that holds the rear strut bar that attaches to the fire wall. easy enough.
did this to both sides, and mounted the brace in place. piece of cake, right. because of the location of the air filter box on the 335's, the brace pushes down on the
outside upper corner of the filter cover. ok, not a big deal, easy enough to remove the brace to replace the filter. thats why those BMW owners, w/
the dual cone filters, and the other replacement air filters set ups, this is a moot point. now because of the " ) ,rounded" shape of this strut brace, looks similar to a long bow
(sorry no pix) it comes to a high rounded point above engine. so i placed some chalk dust on the top of the brace, about a foot long in the center,
thennnnn carefully closed the hood fully. i started her up w/ a few revs of the engine, then shut her back down and popped the hood. and i do mean "pop" .
the hood popped up quicker and as higher as the stops on the safety latch would let it. i belive the brace pushed up on the hood to make it do this.
when i looked under the hood ALL the caulk dust had transfered to the hood fiber insulation pad. after taking some SWAG measurements, i believe the highest
point of the strut brace comes w/in 1/2 inch of touching the underside sheet metal, w/ the engine off, if the engine torques some it might become closer.
this is TO close for me, and the brace came off.

i then placed an order w/ Helix, for the "Cross" aluminum strut brace, only $ 288. they do make a CF brace a few time a year. sells for $388, and not always in stock.
i was told the next production of CF was the end of April to May. so i went w/ the aluminum strut brace by "Cross". in stock.

2 days later the brace is in my hands, Helix is in PA., and i'm in MD. this beefy brace attaches to ALL 3 of the mounting bolt of the strut tower.
i had to loosen the nut holding down the rear brace that attaches to the fire wall on both sides. the tolerances of the Cross are perfect.
any flexing of either tower, and this brace goes to work. the Cross brace is more " [ " shaped, so it easily clears the air filter box, and has no peak
to impact the sheet metal under the hood. i guess i'll sleep better at night, knowing this.

does the brace help the car turn tighter? well i have no training as a racetrack driver, but my credentials include over 20 years teaching of new,
and retraining public safety officers on a 2.5 mile track for police in Sykesville, MD. so i feel i can at least feel the limitation of how my car drives.

so i took my car out and put her through some hard cornering paces. i concluded that i could only feel the car turning tighter during hard cornering.
i tribute this to the way BMW makes these cars drive right f/ the factory. so maybe it's 60% bling, and 40% performance. depending how you drive.

take a look at the pix, w/ special attention to those 3 bolts that hold this puppy in place over the towers. you are adding about 3 to 4 lbs. to your car.

so chalk one up for the shade tree mechanics, you only need some some metric, and standard size wrenches, to complete the mod. good luck.
if i can do it, anyone can. feel free to ask questions about the install.

Last edited by Spydeputy; 05-05-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Great mod! I was thinking about doing this mod on my car. I already have the JIC Cross coil-overs and wanted to tighten up the front end for the track.

Where is Helix? I'm in PA.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW325xi View Post
Great mod! I was thinking about doing this mod on my car. I already have the JIC Cross coil-overs and wanted to tighten up the front end for the track.

Where is Helix? I'm in PA.
They're in Philly

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thats funny I just ordered one yestereday from Helix the same brace...I didn't like the OEM one at all the way it mounts...I just didn't like the shape of it looking like a bow either, but loved the JLC ones because of shape and some pics the vendor had..I guess I made the right decision..Getting mine in the mail today! Thats for a review, but I guess I already made the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
First off, I'm glad you like the brace.
The only thing that I don't like about this cross brace is that the way it is connected to the mounts.
From what I understand, since the brace is not fixed to the mounts, then this allows the brace to pivot in the direction of the arrows making a "spring affect".

This might look better than the BMW Performance brace, but I'm thinking that the the BMW brace may be a bit better on the performance side.
Attached Images

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
The only thing that I don't like about this cross brace is that the way it is connected to the mounts.
From what I understand, since the brace is not fixed to the mounts, then this allows the brace to pivot in the direction of the arrows making a "spring affect".

This might look better than the BMW Performance brace, but I'm thinking that the the BMW brace may be a bit better on the performance side.
I just got the brace shipped and unpacked it...The bracket that connects to the tower is pretty thick and if it was to bend it would take alot of play...Is there really that much play or force when cornering to actually bend the brace? I see what you mean with your diagram and the arrows, but if it does flex, I think it would bend permanently instead of flexing...I guess I would have to see and let you guys know if this is happening...Overall look of the brace is actually quality made and I like the design overall the one that BMW offers....I seen a video of the OEM one in the engine bay and it just looks awkward because of the bow shape to it....doesn't look clean IMO...
I agree with the OP that started this thread, that it would bother me that the brace is so close to the hood once its closed!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
I have a 2008 335xi, E90, sport package, and wheel upgrade. i had read that some w/ a BMW (335, i or xi) have used BMW performance CF strut brace, and were able to make it work. so i gave it a shot. after spending $900 and change i had that sharp looking CF brace in my hands. this is one sharp looking brace to display under your hood. so i remover inner most bolt on each tower then the nut that holds the rear strut bar that attaches to the fire wall. easy enough. did this to both sides, and mounted the brace in place. piece of cake, right. because of the location of the air filter box on the 335's, the brace pushes down on th outside upper corner of the filter cover. ok, not a big deal, easy enough to remove the brace to replace the filter. thats why those BMW owners, w/ the dual cone filters, and the other replacement air filters set ups, this is a moot point. now because of the " ) ,rounded" shape of this strut brace, looks similar to a long bow (sorry no pix) it comes to a high rounded point above engine. so i placed some chalk dust on the top of the brace, about a foot long in the center, thennnnn carefully closed the hood fully. i started her up w/ a few revs of the engine, then shut her back down and popped the hood. and i do mean "pop" . the hood popped up quicker and as higher as the stops on the safety latch would let it. i belive the brace pushed up on the hood to make it do this. when i looked under the hood ALL the caulk dust had transfered to the hood fiber insulation pad. after taking some SWAG measurements, i believe the highest point of the strut brace comes w/in 1/2 inch of touching the underside sheet metal, w/ the engine off, if the engine torques some it might become closer. this is TO close for me, and the brace came off.

i then placed an order w/ Helix, for the "Cross" aluminum strut brace, only $ 288. they do make a CF brace a few time a year. sells for $388, and not always in stock. i was told the next production of CF was the end of April to May. so i went w/ the aluminum strut brace by "Cross". in stock.

2 days later the brace is in my hands, Helix is in PA., and i'm in MD. this beefy brace attaches to ALL 3 of the mounting bolt of the strut tower. i had to loosen the nut holding down the rear brace that attaches to the fire wall on both sides. the tolerances of the Cross are perfect. any flexing of either tower, and this brace goes to work. the Cross brace is more " [ " shaped, so it easily clears the air filter box, and has no peak to impact the sheet metal under the hood. i guess i'll sleep better at night, knowing this.

does the brace help the car turn tighter? well i have no training as a racetrack driver, but my credentials include over 20 years teaching of new, and retraining public safety officers on a 2.5 mile track for police in Sykesville, MD. so i feel i can at least feel the limitation of how my car drives.

so i took my car out and put her through some hard cornering paces. i concluded that i could only feel the car turning tighter during hard cornering. i tribute this to the way BMW makes these cars drive right f/ the factory. so maybe it's 60% bling, and 40% performance. depending how you drive.

take a look at the pix, w/ special attention to those 3 bolts that hold this puppy in place over the towers. you are adding about 3 to 4 lbs. to your car.

so chalk one up for the shade tree mechanics, you only need some some metric, and standard size wrenches, to complete the mod. good luck. if i can do it, anyone can. feel free to ask questions about the install.
THe OEM one cost 900 dollars??? I thought it cost somewhere around 300 hundred or so that was made for a 328...Is the M3 struct bar the one you are describing?? But anyhow 900 dollars is steep!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
THe OEM one cost 900 dollars??? I thought it cost somewhere around 300 hundred or so that was made for a 328...Is the M3 struct bar the one you are describing?? But anyhow 900 dollars is steep!
The $900 one is the very special BMW CF Performance Strut Bar.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
DC516
Counts Beans
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The Past  [0.00]
2006 Yamaha R6s  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree, that's why eventually I will be purchasing a solid, not "hinged" brace, like the dinan or oem bmw (cf is like $900, non cf is low $200 on ebay, ive seen a few from dealers).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories
E90 TiAg/Black 6MT |Hamann Style Diffuser|Quad Magnaflow Exhaust|Dinan Strut Brace|Eibach Pro Kit|19" Iconz 930z|F1 Pinnacle 15%|OEM Splitters|MTech Spoiler|Debadged|Mtec Cosmos Fogs|Transmissive Polarizer Mod|Silver CF Amber-Gone|MTech Dead + ACS Pedals|
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC516 View Post
I agree, that's why eventually I will be purchasing a solid, not "hinged" brace, like the dinan or oem bmw (cf is like $900, non cf is low $200 on ebay, ive seen a few from dealers).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories
Yes this brace has hindges but for your suspension GURUs out there, is there that much flex that happens with these struct braces under hard cornering conditions? The brace from my visual inspection looks really stiff and I hope it doesn't bend, but I would think Cross has done some kind of R&D before selling this item
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I just got the brace shipped and unpacked it...The bracket that connects to the tower is pretty thick and if it was to bend it would take alot of play...Is there really that much play or force when cornering to actually bend the brace? I see what you mean with your diagram and the arrows, but if it does flex, I think it would bend permanently instead of flexing...I guess I would have to see and let you guys know if this is happening...Overall look of the brace is actually quality made and I like the design overall the one that BMW offers....I seen a video of the OEM one in the engine bay and it just looks awkward because of the bow shape to it....doesn't look clean IMO...
I agree with the OP that started this thread, that it would bother me that the brace is so close to the hood once its closed!
I'm not talking about the brace bending.
I'm talking about how the way the bar connects to the mount.
It looks like it's acting like a hinge; for example, if one side is connected, could you swivle the bar up and down?
This is what I'm talking about.
If it is truly a hinge design then the bar in the middle will act as a spring instead of a support.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
i have this brace too...and it CAN NOT swivel up and down. Just think about it, it doesn't make sense. It's only mounted that way so you can easily take the brace off for oil change or adding oils.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #13
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj335i View Post
The $900 one is the very special BMW CF Performance Strut Bar.
Damn 900 for a strut bar! Whats this bar made of platinum!! lol BMW has balls to charge that price...I don't care how special, I would never purchase something like this, but the said part is there are alot of people that would.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
DC516
Counts Beans
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The Past  [0.00]
2006 Yamaha R6s  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_E92 View Post
i have this brace too...and it CAN NOT swivel up and down. Just think about it, it doesn't make sense. It's only mounted that way so you can easily take the brace off for oil change or adding oils.
http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...Category_Code=

This is what we're talking about...but I don't think 99% of ppl would be able to notice between hinged and non-hinged. BMW is not the only one that charge a pretty penny =)
E90 TiAg/Black 6MT |Hamann Style Diffuser|Quad Magnaflow Exhaust|Dinan Strut Brace|Eibach Pro Kit|19" Iconz 930z|F1 Pinnacle 15%|OEM Splitters|MTech Spoiler|Debadged|Mtec Cosmos Fogs|Transmissive Polarizer Mod|Silver CF Amber-Gone|MTech Dead + ACS Pedals|
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

I just installed the Cross brace on my car, I don't know what you guys mean that it doesn't restrict the hood from closing...I have to pressed the hood down firmly to close it, and when I pop the hood, it pops!! My hood never had a problem closing at all... Maybe the hood insulation needs to adjust and form a compression to the strut bar..For the guys that have this bar installed, did you encounter this in the beginning after closing the hood? After installing it, I am very satisfied with the look of it compared to OEM brace that I was going to buy..As for performance wise, I hope its not what MR.5 describes and works like it is intended to, or I would be disappointed to say the least..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #16
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
that popping of the hood when released will go away in about a day. after the hood is closed a day the hood insulation will get a memory to it and no longer make the hood pop.
after i installed the brace and was done popping the hood open to admire the new strut brace, two days later i showed it to a friend and the hood opened like it use to.

let us know how u made out since yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

I drove the car this morning to work and I haven't opened the hood yet, I hope when I get home later, this popping of the hood is no longer there!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
don't think I had the hood popping issue when I installed mine.

btw I think it's a good idea to use locktite when tightening the bolts because cornering force can potentially loosen them! last time my dealer told me how the bolts were loose and had to retighten them with locktite for me...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
don't think I had the hood popping issue when I installed mine.

btw I think it's a good idea to use locktite when tightening the bolts because cornering force can potentially loosen them! last time my dealer told me how the bolts were loose and had to retighten them with locktite for me...
thanks for the headsup....the oem screws compared to before are not screw in as much beecause of the brace...in fact the shock tower nut only screws into the the screw about little less than flush.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #20
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Maybe you should think about it a little more because it really does make sense. Just because you can't move it with your hands doesn't mean that it's not moving when you're driving.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #21
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Maybe you should think about it a little more because it really does make sense. Just because you can't move it with your hands doesn't mean that it's not moving when you're driving.
should have added "IMO" there...i think the fact and the brace is curved slightly gives the impression that it's possible to move up and down. In order for it to move up, both ends have to move in, but the ends are secured obviously. Probly doesn't work as well as the M3 one, but i never expect much from a strut bar anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #22
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
should have added "IMO" there...i think the fact and the brace is curved slightly gives the impression that it's possible to move up and down. In order for it to move up, both ends have to move in, but the ends are secured obviously. Probly doesn't work as well as the M3 one, but i never expect much from a strut bar anyway.
I'm not thinking about the curve at all.
On a simplistic level, take an assembled strut brace that is hinged and put the driver's side in your left hand and the other side in your right hand.
Now move your left hand down and keep your right hand still.
The hinges will let the bar move while the mounts are still perfectly flat in your hand.
This cannot be done with a fixed and solid mount.

In real world conditions:

You have hinges on each side of the car.
When rounding a corner, the car typicaly sways to some degree making one side of the car higher than the other.
If one side of the car is higher than the other then the hinges will let the lower side travel since it is hinged.
If the bar did not incorporate hinges and was fixed then the bar would do better job of keeping both mounts at an equilibrium.

I'm not saying that a solid mounted sway bar will keep the car from not swaying or keeping both sides of the car at an equilibrium, but I'm just saying that it will do a better job than a hinged design.

Appreciate 0