E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 Launch Weekend

02-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
F30 Launch Weekend

Prob better on the F30 forum,but I thought this would ok from a UK perspective.

Did anyone go to their local dealer for a look? I was up getting a few bits and bobs sorted only car and had a peek at a highly specked SE and a Luxury model. The SE was the 328i and the Lux a 320d. First impressions are that it's very nice. Very similar I felt to the 1 series courtesy car that I had a few weeks ago. One thing I picked up on though that I really didn't like.

The shape of the door mirrors! Wtf, they're like land rover mirrors! Massive! The I-drive screen sticking up out of the dash doesn't do it for me either I must admit. Much preferred the binnacle in the E9x.

On a separate note, I played with the auto closing boot lid on the M5 in there and had a play with a new 5 series touring M sport. Love the luggage cover that auto opens and closes on the touring!
      02-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Prob better on the F30 forum,but I thought this would ok from a UK perspective.

Did anyone go to their local dealer for a look? I was up getting a few bits and bobs sorted only car and had a peek at a highly specked SE and a Luxury model. The SE was the 328i and the Lux a 320d. First impressions are that it's very nice. Very similar I felt to the 1 series courtesy car that I had a few weeks ago. One thing I picked up on though that I really didn't like.

The shape of the door mirrors! Wtf, they're like land rover mirrors! Massive! The I-drive screen sticking up out of the dash doesn't do it for me either I must admit. Much preferred the binnacle in the E9x.

On a separate note, I played with the auto closing boot lid on the M5 in there and had a play with a new 5 series touring M sport. Love the luggage cover that auto opens and closes on the touring!
You mention the I Drive screen sticking out the dash....does that not fold away?
      02-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It didn't on the 1er and it was sticking up on the F30 just the same. I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
      02-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
It didn't on the 1er and it was sticking up on the F30 just the same. I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
To be honest...it looks like an after market part to me from the pictures I have seen, looks like someone just stuck it on and said 'that'll do'. I am not mad about the car at all.
      02-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport

I posted this in another thread:-
Well i've just come back from a trip out to my local dealership (Sytners Sutton Coldfield), after being invited via a posted invite.

I arrived there about 3 o'clock, walked through the main dealership doors, failed to be greeted or acknowledged by the two reception staff. They had a 328i Sport and a 320i Modern I think it was on display. Myself, girlfriend and in-laws walked around the two 3 series on display separately and over a 15minute period not a single member of staff bothered to acknowledge any of us... was this really a launch event? I was kind of expecting some sort hospitality? the dealership was by no means heaving... dead if anything.

So after 15mins gave up and left by the same doors that id entered and still the 2 dreary reception staff gave no sign of any acknowledgement. Based on my previous experiences with the service department and warranty issues i'm not at all surprised by this unwelcoming experience.

The car itself... nice not overwhelming but a evolution of the current E90. I drive a 330d for which there is currently no direct replacement. I wanted to find out off the dealership staff as to when or if there will be a replacement... but being as I wasn't acknowledged I really couldn't be bothered.

To round off the whole experience I grabbed this photo of the immaculately presented showroom cars:-

Impressive!
F30 - 7/10
Sytners Sutton Coldfield - 0/10
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
To be fair, my local dealer (Sycamore) wasn't much better, but then I wasn't paying too much attention at first to the F30. Their cars were clean though!

I was offered a canapé and a sandwich at one point but nobody came over to ask if I wanted to buy the car! That said, I'm sort of known in the dealership and the only salesman I deal with was busy. I wasn't actually there for the launch, despite the invite.

Sycamore had previously sent out an invite for a VIP launch about 2 weeks ago that I didn't go to, but that one was meant to be much more exclusive with videos and presentations and free booze! I think this weekend was more just, come and have a look at this car and if you've got any questions, please ask...
      02-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M Sport LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
To be honest...it looks like an after market part to me from the pictures I have seen, looks like someone just stuck it on and said 'that'll do'. I am not mad about the car at all.
Got a lift from one of the fit birds in Sytner Nottingham the other day in their customer transfer car, the girl/chauffeur seems very knowledgeable about the up and coming F30 model. Told her i'm not a big fan of the new idrive look. She told me that BMW is moving towards the "aftermarket" idrive screen look as in the future this will be a docking station for iPad...not sure how true this is but it makes logical sense
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Went to the event at Halliwell Jones Llandudno this weekend and experienced very similar treatment to everyone else.

Walked in past reception without a greeting, took a look at the cars, Lux 328i and the basic one (urban? metro?) and was really disappointed.
I noticed a serious drop in interior quality, felt like something I'd expect from a Vauxhall. The Renault style sat-nav is tragic and the armrest felt really cheap. The basic seats are an improvement over the previous SE seats but everything is pure cost-cutting.

Asked about a test drive and they just fobbed me off saying I needed to book. There was no mention of booking on the invite they sent.

While perving over a very nice E92 330d in a very vibrant individual blue paint job I overheard the sales team having a prep talk. They were actually discussing which people they could press sales out and which they shouldn't bother with!

I had exactly the same problem when buying my car, every BMW dealership was just rammed with utter pricks. I actually walked into one dealership cashed up ready to buy a car I found on their website and walked out 20 minutes later after being completely ignored.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Car is not bad not sure about that stupid shutline on the bonnet car woudl have looked much better if the bonnet went to the end as on e90. Apart from that nice place to be in.

For some reason though when inside the dash and everything seems a lot tighter round the driver you do feel more cocooned than in e90. Which aint bad as thigns are easier to reach. Though not fan of the cup holders having to faf around with a cover lid first. The cream interior with bumpy wood trim on modern definitely not my cup of tea. I like the fact the boot is finally black inside instead of grey carpet far more use friendly.

Have to agree about the low key launch local dealer had 4 two out for test drives a 328i and 320D and two inside SE and modern. Very low key, now maybe as it was Sunday and main event took place on Sat but still you expect something. Still was nice to look at the car in flesh now bring on the M Sport and touring as seems its going to have to be the one
      02-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I like a bit of beige in my car but the sea of cream in the Modern line makes me want to vomit!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Went to the launch on Saturday at Rybrook in Warwick. Met by the receptionists and one of them went to get me a coffee. Nice.

Then had some grub whilst looking round the cars and was offered a test drive if I wanted one. Had no intention of buying, so declined.

The F30 looks considerably nicer in the metal than it does in the pics. I too, dislike the nose treatment where the bumper meets the bonnet. It's down to EU regulations on crash protection for pedestrians. Still looks unresolved. Overall, the interior is a nice place to sit, but the grainy leather is a bit naff and the standard seats very flat with no lateral support.

Most significant disappointment for me is no 300i or 330d yet. There will be no 330i, which is a travesty, but imagine that the 330d will be along later this year. Looking forward to seeing the M Sport too.

Have to admit to spending more time looking at the F10 M5 in the showroom to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I’m going to reserve judgment until I drive it. How many times have you not liked the look of a car too much and then driven it – liked it, bought it and never looked back?

If its drives as well as the journo’s and car testers are raving on about – then it should be a very good car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

I liked the car, not as nice from the front I don't think, those lights just don't work for me. Strangely though I did like the textured woodtrim a lot, the sales guy seemed surprised when I said that too lol
      02-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang
I like a bit of beige in my car but the sea of cream in the Modern line makes me want to vomit!
I'll have to eat my words: I'm sitting in an F30 335i Modern right now in it looks amazing !!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I’m going to reserve judgment until I drive it. How many times have you not liked the look of a car too much and then driven it – liked it, bought it and never looked back?

If its drives as well as the journo’s and car testers are raving on about – then it should be a very good car to drive.
But why can't it look good as well? There are some great looking cars, many much cheaper than the f30 eg new Astra. If they can do it..........
Appreciate 0