E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Things to do in Vancouver (7/23/14 to 7/27/14)

07-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 MSport

Things to do in Vancouver (7/23/14 to 7/27/14)

So my wife and I are thinking about extending our west coast trip to go visit Vancouver for the first time. We are hoping to make a decision this week and change our flights soon after but we need some help from people who live there or has visited there and can give some feedback on their experience there and if it is worth the trip.

I would love to hear what there is to do there that would be fun and a "don't miss" type of thing for Vancouver.

Your input would be great!

Thank you!

WIL
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
| 1998 Acura Integra (Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
kaede
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

There will be an Annual Firework show that will be happening on July 26th by downtown waterfront (English Bay) area. Massive amounts of people will gather and will be a huge event.

Whistler is just a "short" 2 hour'ish scenic drive away. The Sea to Sky highway is an awesome drive to and from Whistler. Many things to do in Whistler - Water sports, Spa, Hot springs, Zip-linging through the pacific west cost forests, the famous Gondola (worlds tallest i believe), horseback riding, etc.

Good Luck and have fun researching!
08' E90 M3 6MT - DD
13' W212 E63 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Mr&Mrs323i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i TiAg

If you like to go fast Olympic style there's this:

http://www.whistlerslidingcentre.com/

Also if you like kayaking there's the Pasley Island tour. I did this tour several years ago. It's great if you want to get really close to nature.

http://www.bowenislandkayaking.com/p...and-tours.html

Last edited by Mr&Mrs323i; 07-02-2014 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #4
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Are you into outdoorsy stuff, beaches or sports, or shopping or food or history??? I can give suggestions based on what kind of travellers you are.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
dtea604
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i

English bay, stanley park, queen elizabeth park, canada place, downtown vancouver in general. Van dusen garden vancouver aquriam fly over canada at canada place. Granville island, kitsalano beach, head up to whistler if you can to. Forgot to mention yale town and gas town to. Roads are not to nice in gas town in you have an aftermarket suspension set up.
As for food wise you could always use yelp.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Shearer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
You can always use these guys for free walking tours in downtown area:
http://www.tourguys.ca/#!vancouver/c55x
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Are you into outdoorsy stuff, beaches or sports, or shopping or food or history??? I can give suggestions based on what kind of travellers you are.
We love beaches, shopping and food. Unfortunately never been a history type of guy.

And for all those suggesting Whistler, that sounds like a great option!

Keep them coming. And any suggestions of cheap flights from San Francisco and San Diego?
2011 BMW 550i M-Sport (Jet Black/Cinnamon Brown) - 4/30/14 | 2007 BMW 328xi e92 (Jet Black/Coral Red) - PAST | 2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (Ivory White/Stone) - PAST | 2005 Acura TSX (Obsidian Black/Black) - PAST
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong
Quote:
We love beaches, shopping and food. Unfortunately never been a history type of guy.

And for all those suggesting Whistler, that sounds like a great option!

Keep them coming. And any suggestions of cheap flights from San Francisco and San Diego?
Look into flying Allegiant or Alaska into Bellingham and getting a rental car and drive to Vancouver about an hour and ten minutes away. Will come back with tourist destinations later.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

There is a bike rental store on the corner of georgia and denman.
6 bucks an hour and the seawalk is across the street. Takes about an hour on bike, but I really take my time. Its very romantic and very scenic. Bikes have a basket if you wanna pack a picnic lunch. Dont forget your camera when your under the lions gate bridge.

There is also a beach called ambleside in west vancouver. There is a outdoor festival that happen once a year with food and wine, concert included. You can reserve a table with seats. Dont forget a blanket for night time.

North vancouver every friday nights has a shipyards night market. Food trucks parked in one corner, local arts and crafts, amazing marina view, live entertainment. The lonsdale quay is there and its pretty much like a smaller version of granville island

Explore downtown for shopping and eats. Canada place area, gastown, robson street, davie street, denman street leads to english bay (beach)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Shearer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/07/v...nts-july-2014/
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
CaptChaos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Grey

Definitely come visit. Lots of things to do. Some random suggestions:

Grouse Grind

https://www.grousemountain.com/grousegrind

Richmond Night Market

http://richmondnightmarket.com/

Bard on the Beach

http://www.bardonthebeach.org/2014/dream

Get to the CHOPPAA!

http://www.helijet.com/charter-servi...er-sightseeing
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:07 AM   #12
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackturbo View Post
There is a bike rental store on the corner of georgia and denman.
6 bucks an hour and the seawalk is across the street. Takes about an hour on bike, but I really take my time. Its very romantic and very scenic. Bikes have a basket if you wanna pack a picnic lunch. Dont forget your camera when your under the lions gate bridge.

There is also a beach called ambleside in west vancouver. There is a outdoor festival that happen once a year with food and wine, concert included. You can reserve a table with seats. Dont forget a blanket for night time.

North vancouver every friday nights has a shipyards night market. Food trucks parked in one corner, local arts and crafts, amazing marina view, live entertainment. The lonsdale quay is there and its pretty much like a smaller version of granville island

Explore downtown for shopping and eats. Canada place area, gastown, robson street, davie street, denman street leads to english bay (beach)
The shipyards night market is exactly up our alley!

I really hope we can work this out as I hear that Vancouver is gorgeous during this time.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #13
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Look into flying Allegiant or Alaska into Bellingham and getting a rental car and drive to Vancouver about an hour and ten minutes away. Will come back with tourist destinations later.
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I just checked prices and it is cheaper to do this than to fly to Vancouver.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #14
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
The shipyards night market is exactly up our alley!

I really hope we can work this out as I hear that Vancouver is gorgeous during this time.
If thats the case,

Pack a great lunch a do the grouse grind up grouse mountain. Amazing view of vancouver.

reservations for fine dining west coast style in west vancouver. Up in the peaks of the british properties theres a restaurant called fraiche. The view will take your breath away. Make resos around 8 and watch the sun set and bring your camera of course.

capilano suspension bridge, not sure if your significant other is afraid of heights but as long as you hold her hand she should be alright
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
academic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d and Cervelo

Quote:
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I just checked prices and it is cheaper to do this than to fly to Vancouver.

One important thing to consider is that your rental car options will probably be very limited if you fly into Bellingham. Seattle will give you much better rental car options.

Although flying directly into Vancouver may be slightly costlier, it will save you time to explore more and United and AC has 9ish direct flights from SFO to YVR if you are already there. This is what I would do to save time and trouble of going to and from SEA or Bellingham. Also, wait times at the airport are much shorter if you don't have NEXUS/Global Entry/Pass ID. If you do, the airport(s) will also be quicker on your way home and even if you don't, you will cross US customs inside the Vancouver airport and your flight home will be considered domestic afterwards.

If you are flying out of Logan (BOS) and still want to fly US Domestic, I would still fly United to SFO if that is one of your stops for your vacation. SFO-SEA using United is ideal since there should be around 9 flights a day to SEA.

SFO is the probably the second largest United Hub in the US so you have a lot of options in flight times (I fly United/AC/Star Alliance Carriers for both business and vacation and like their service and flight options). SFO is also Virgin America's hub.

Then rent the car at SEA and take the drive to Vancouver if choosing this method.

Another thing to consider is how are you returning to BOS (i.e. via SEA is much easier than Bellingham with over 10 flights per day back to BOS. However, you will likely have to stop at IAD, IAH, EWR, ORD or somewhere else on your way home but you at least have flexible flight times.

You can also try Virgin America as well for BOS, SFO and SEA.

I posted some tips on what to do, where to stay in Vancouver (and Portland) for another guy from Boston a few years ago. There is also another Fairmont (Pacific Rim) that has a direct view of the water and mountains.

You may want to review these posts, the second one is from him that has nice images from his trip:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=15

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451580

BTW, Boston is one of my favourite cities (Copley Square, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, North End, etc).

Last edited by academic; 07-04-2014 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #16
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by academic View Post
One important thing to consider is that your rental car options will probably be very limited if you fly into Bellingham. Seattle will give you much better rental car options.

Although flying directly into Vancouver may be slightly costlier, it will save you time to explore more and United and AC has 9ish direct flights from SFO to YVR if you are already there. This is what I would do to save time and trouble of going to and from SEA or Bellingham. Also, wait times at the airport are much shorter if you don't have NEXUS/Global Entry/Pass ID. If you do, the airport(s) will also be quicker on your way home and even if you don't, you will cross US customs inside the Vancouver airport and your flight home will be considered domestic afterwards.

If you are flying out of Logan (BOS) and still want to fly US Domestic, I would still fly United to SFO if that is one of your stops for your vacation. SFO-SEA using United is ideal since there should be around 9 flights a day to SEA.

SFO is the probably the second largest United Hub in the US so you have a lot of options in flight times (I fly United/AC/Star Alliance Carriers for both business and vacation and like their service and flight options). SFO is also Virgin America's hub.

Then rent the car at SEA and take the drive to Vancouver if choosing this method.

Another thing to consider is how are you returning to BOS (i.e. via SEA is much easier than Bellingham with over 10 flights per day back to BOS. However, you will likely have to stop at IAD, IAH, EWR, ORD or somewhere else on your way home but you at least have flexible flight times.

You can also try Virgin America as well for BOS, SFO and SEA.

I posted some tips on what to do, where to stay in Vancouver (and Portland) for another guy from Boston a few years ago. There is also another Fairmont (Pacific Rim) that has a direct view of the water and mountains.

You may want to review these posts, the second one is from him that has nice images from his trip:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=15

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451580

BTW, Boston is one of my favourite cities (Copley Square, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, North End, etc).
Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #17
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Definitely go to Kitsilano beach and also rent bikes and ride around the Stanley park seawall.
Shop on Robson street and wander around Gastown. Eat Asian food at the Richmond Night Market.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #18
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette
Definitely go to Kitsilano beach and also rent bikes and ride around the Stanley park seawall.
Shop on Robson street and wander around Gastown. Eat Asian food at the Richmond Night Market.
Just reserved the hotel for Thursday and Friday night!

We will be driving from Seattle. Hopefully crossing the boarder won't be too bad. We will be staying at the Century Hotel & Plaza. It's right in the thick of things so I hope it works out.

Any suggestions for lounges to go to at night for cocktails? Good music would be great too.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #19
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - SOLD

When driving up, make sure you fuel up BEFORE you cross the border. Fuel in Vancouver can be between $5 and $6 per gallon.

There are a few nice waterfront outdoor bars on Granville Island or outdoor at the tap and barrel restaurant in Olympic Village. Others will have to suggest nightclubs or lounges.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:33 AM   #20
academic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d and Cervelo

Quote:

We will be driving from Seattle. Hopefully crossing the boarder won't be too bad. We will be staying at the Century Hotel & Plaza. It's right in the thick of things so I hope it works out.

Any suggestions for lounges to go to at night for cocktails? Good music would be great too.
I’m glad to hear you have a plan.

Regarding your rental, you should confirm you are able to drive the rental into Canada. I know some car rentals and companies restrict you from crossing the border or going out of state. I always book from Hertz and they have a very good rental policy (you can drive across states/provinces, border, unlimited mileage, etc) but I highly recommend you call your rental agency and confirm this detail. If in the unlikely event something happens, you would not be covered.

Lounges. The Fairmont Pacific Rim has a nice lobby lounge with live music.

http://www.fairmont.com/pacific-rim-...ngeandterrace/

You may also want to check some of the revolving restaurants in the city for drinks (I think they have lounges also). Top of Vancouver (Harbour Centre) and Cloud 9 comes to mind. It would be best to go there during daylight or sunset for the best views (or evening I suppose). I think the restaurants and lounges there may only be so so (it’s been a long time for me) so if you want to go just for the view, you can probably just go to the viewing deck of the Harbour Centre. There is also a beer hall and some nice places with patios for drinks at Olympic Village but this is just outside downtown.

Just as a comparison with something you may be familiar with, I think the above places (revolving restaurants) have a nicer view than the Top of the Hub at the Prudential Tower in Boston but the food in at the Hub is better.

You can walk from your hotel, head north on Burrard and go to Robson, Coal Harbour, Stanley Park, etc.

You can also walk to English Bay and take the water taxi (I think it’s only ~$5) to Granville Island and can take it back to downtown as well. Granville Island is similar to Faneuil Hall in Boston except more focus on fresh seafood and crafts and less restaurants and stores. The whole area is much larger than Faneuil Hall as well.

Not sure if you can extend your trip but you may be missing this fireworks event(s) by a day or so:

http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/

By the way, the food in Vancouver (especially seafood, asian and fusion foods, gelato, pastries, etc) is very good.

Are you still going to SF? If you are, you should try to stay at the Westin St Francis, which is right at Union Square and has outstanding views of the city if you request a tower room. Even if you are not staying there, you can take the glass elevator up and down and see the view of the city/bay.

If you have any questions, you can post them here or feel free to PM me. I will be more than happy to help with any other tips.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #21
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualbong
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette

That hotel is in a good location. I used to go to the spa there. I think it has since changed, but tell your wife if she likes spas, it was where the big celebrities used to go when in town.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #22
virtualbong
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike View Post
When driving up, make sure you fuel up BEFORE you cross the border. Fuel in Vancouver can be between $5 and $6 per gallon.

There are a few nice waterfront outdoor bars on Granville Island or outdoor at the tap and barrel restaurant in Olympic Village. Others will have to suggest nightclubs or lounges.
Great point! I will definitely fuel up a little before the border.

Waterfront outdoor bars is right up my alley so we will definitely have to go take a trip to Granville Island.

Thanks Mike!
Appreciate 0