E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mob17's E92 335d - 422bhp - 1M BUMPER

11-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #155
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

His failure method of the brakes is quite unusual though.

You usually either boil the brake fluid, resulting in a mushy pedal, or overheat the pads resulting in a solid pedal and minimal retardation.

Big vibrations sounds like "warped" disks or sticking/binding calipers.

Talking of brake cooling, my 330d already has brake ducts as standard, surely yours does too? Cant see them removing the ducts from higher spec car!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #156
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
It could have been your rears that were overheating? Especially if its on stock rear pads.
I have yellowstuff all round. It might have just been the conditions, it was very very slippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwh85 View Post
I take it mo that you won't be selling it anytime soon?
Haha don't think so, hopefully not

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Glad you had fun. It can get very addictive for sure as the adrenalin kicks when you feel the back squirming lol. So when's the next venture out?

As for brakes, it's a tricky one tbh. I've tried loads of different combinations and none of them have been able to perform on both road and track combined as one will always have to be a compromise. Getting a good 7 ish laps out in one go is good for road/track pads etc.
Yes very addictive, adrenalin was pumping! Not sure when i'll next be going tbh, perhaps sometime in the Spring.

I guess the yellowstuff were ok then considering what you guys are saying, maybe i was too harsh and expected too much from them...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #157
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

You usually either boil the brake fluid, resulting in a mushy pedal, or overheat the pads resulting in a solid pedal and minimal retardation.

Talking of brake cooling, my 330d already has brake ducts as standard, surely yours does too? Cant see them removing the ducts from higher spec car!
Safe to say brake fluid was fine, pedal stayed nice and firm throughout.

I'm sure the pads overheated and uneven deposits were put on the discs which gave the juddering earthquake feeling. Its quite a common symptom using road pads on track, so i was told. I probably experienced brake fade too but was too distracted by my body being shaken to its core to realise

Yes i do have brake cooling, but the duct ends at the wheel arch liner. I'm thinking of channeling the air right into the middle of the discs. Not sure how much additional cooling that will offer, but no harm in trying, as some track guys run this ducting.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #158
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

Motocross can be extreme on the braking system, especially when you need to do a lot of accelerating and braking at the same time to force the suspension down and keep wheel traction over rough terrain. With a car it’s obviously the weight and G forces and distances between heavy braking. It’s incredible really that such a small surface area can deal with the horrific forces involved in braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #159
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Theres a novice full track day at Oulton Park on Saturday 20th Feb for only £100.

So tempted to book it. Gives me enough time to get new rears and a new set of pads. Also good to know that i will be sharing the track with novices, should make it less nerve racking.

Anyone been Oulton park? It looks like a very nice lively track.

Edit: can a novice day actually be worse as all drivers will be new and might not know what they're doing?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #160
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Theres a novice full track day at Oulton Park on Saturday 20th Feb for only £100.

So tempted to book it. Gives me enough time to get new rears and a new set of pads. Also good to know that i will be sharing the track with novices, should make it less nerve racking.

Anyone been Oulton park? It looks like a very nice lively track.

Edit: can a novice day actually be worse as all drivers will be new and might not know what they're doing?
That's not bad tbf.

However, as you have mentioned it doesn't really mean it will be any less nerve racking as they are novices as potentially there is more likelihood of losing it. But tbh an experienced track dare may be pushing it too much and lose it too.
      11-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #161
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
That's not bad tbf.

However, as you have mentioned it doesn't really mean it will be any less nerve racking as they are novices as potentially there is more likelihood of losing it. But tbh an experienced track dare may be pushing it too much and lose it too.
Yeah i'm not sure if im ready for a full track day yet, need some hours/confidence under my belt. The drivers on the full track day at Rockingham were driving pretty close to each other.

I just don't know if Oulton Park is a good track for first timers like me. I've watched some youtube videos and it looks like a proper track. Armco, red and white rumble strips, grass, dips and hills. Guess there's more risk than somewhere like Bedford, but i bet it feels much better to drive on compared to flat concrete. If Bedford did a novice day i would go there first.

I'm tempted to finally install my solid rear subframe bushes, front and rear M3 arms before i go out on track next. That would probably be a total of £700 incl the arms and labour/alignment. But then im thinking its probably much much better to get a set of race compound brake pads instead...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #162
AndyS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i touring pre lci.

Beware of Oulton Park! It is very slippery if the conditions are not perfect. I wrote off a track prepped Sierra cosworth there and although I'm not exactly an expert I have done dozens of track days in this country and abroad in some fairly quick hardware. There are areas with very little run off at Oulton and a minor mistake can be costly.

Although not as exciting a track I would highly recommend Bedford Autodrome as there is plenty of run off and even a massive loss of talent generally only ends up in a spin across the grass. There are enough interesting corners to have fun and the straight is long enough to hit some impressive speeds.

Good luck :-)

Andy
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #163
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Beware of Oulton Park! It is very slippery if the conditions are not perfect. I wrote off a track prepped Sierra cosworth there and although I'm not exactly an expert I have done dozens of track days in this country and abroad in some fairly quick hardware. There are areas with very little run off at Oulton and a minor mistake can be costly.

Although not as exciting a track I would highly recommend Bedford Autodrome as there is plenty of run off and even a massive loss of talent generally only ends up in a spin across the grass. There are enough interesting corners to have fun and the straight is long enough to hit some impressive speeds.

Good luck :-)

Andy
Hey appreciate the advice even though its a bit scary!

So you'd recommend a "normal" car track day at Bedford rather than a novice one at Oulton Park? There is a trackday at Bedford SEN track in Feb for £120 or the full GT track for £99...which seems like excellent value.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #164
AndyS
Private First Class
Rep

I should also mention that novice days will usually have inexperienced drivers in less valuable vehicles. This can make it a more risky event as there is much less at stake for the drivers. It's one thing smashing up a 2 grand Renault clio sport and quite another smashing up a 70 grand Porsche gt3 rs!

I never felt intimidated even on my first track day and I have never driven a novice day as the guys I was going with already had some time under their belts. Simply indicate to the right and keep as far over to the right as you can and all will be good.

Once again good luck and have fun!

Andy
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #165
AndyS
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry. Posts crossed. Definitely do the gt day at Bedford. If it's open pit lane then even better. You can go on and off track as you please. This is way better than session days because if you scare yourself or just want a rest, you're not wasting track time.

The whole track day thing is about having fun. It doesn't matter how quick or slow you are. I have only seen one car properly smashed up and that was mine (not counting the Nurburgring) in all the years I have been doing this. Guys with expensive cars simply don't want to crash them.

My E91 335 although properly fast is not an ideal track car and all this talk is tempting me back :-).

Andy
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #166
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

^ plus race prepared M3's and I think now also M4's with tuition or drive your own.

Edit, I love that spurt of acceleration coming out the corner at 32 seconds, Insanely aggressive.

Last edited by Ao1; 11-13-2015 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #167
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
I remember the first time I boiled the brake fluid on my motocross bike. The brakes stopped working without notice. I thought it was a brake fluid leak as I could fully depress the brake levers and nothing happened. Once the fluid cooled down they worked as normal.

The weight of a car and braking forces involved on a track, without giving the disks/ pads chance to cool down are going to test any braking system.

AWSAWS – I have the same disks, but green stuff pads. I have not noticed them being noisy.
It's funny. Mine were noisy for months but I've just realised they haven't been noisy in the last 6 months, maybe longer. Squealing under braking that is.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #168
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry. Posts crossed. Definitely do the gt day at Bedford. If it's open pit lane then even better. You can go on and off track as you please. This is way better than session days because if you scare yourself or just want a rest, you're not wasting track time.

The whole track day thing is about having fun. It doesn't matter how quick or slow you are. I have only seen one car properly smashed up and that was mine (not counting the Nurburgring) in all the years I have been doing this. Guys with expensive cars simply don't want to crash them.

My E91 335 although properly fast is not an ideal track car and all this talk is tempting me back :-).

Andy
Thanks for all your tips Andy, you hae convinced me to go to Bedford instead.

There are two track days, one at end of Feb with Javelin on the GT track, and on in mid March with MSV on GT track. Really want to book one of them, will probably book the Javeline one. You have nay experience with Javelin or MSV? Also i hope it doesn't rain, really want to test myself out in the dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
It's funny. Mine were noisy for months but I've just realised they haven't been noisy in the last 6 months, maybe longer. Squealing under braking that is.
I have the EBC slotted discs with yellowstuff pads, they have never squealed since i have fitted them. That's thing i like about the yellows, as well as the stopping power. On track i will be changing the pads for Carbotechs.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #169
Ao1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
The pads have a soft lining to bed them in. I noticed this clogged the grooves/ dimples on the disk as they bedded in. Maybe that was the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 02:54 AM   #170
AndyS
Private First Class
Rep

No problem mate. Track days are the best way to enjoy your car with no fear of reprisals. The marshals keep an eye on people's behaviour and will not allow mental/dangerous driving or driving beyond ones ability.

I don't have any experience with either of those organisers but Javelin looks good. Give them a call and see if it is an open pit lane or session day.

Don't worry too much about rain as it is just as much fun and tests your skill even more than a dry day.

Andy
E91 335i. 220 wheels. Active Autowerkes intercooler. Custom Performance Engineering charge pipe. Tial bov. Bms dci. Bilstein b14 coilovers. Roof rail delete. Secondary cat delete. Custom remap. 420 bhp
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #171
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

i have EBC USR discs,Brembo HP2000 pads,BF goodrich stainless lines and ATE Gold fluid ,i get vibration under track conditions from the brakes,never ever fade or get soft pedal but i have heard a lot of people with 335's saying they get the vibration so it must be a common issue
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 08:56 AM   #172
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No problem mate. Track days are the best way to enjoy your car with no fear of reprisals. The marshals keep an eye on people's behaviour and will not allow mental/dangerous driving or driving beyond ones ability.

I don't have any experience with either of those organisers but Javelin looks good. Give them a call and see if it is an open pit lane or session day.

Don't worry too much about rain as it is just as much fun and tests your skill even more than a dry day.

Andy
Ok mate will give them a ring and find out. I'm not too worried about rain, it's just that in the dry i should be able to let the car open up a bit more. But i think i'm just going to book it in Feb and see what happens, maybe i'll have an LSD by then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknjayne View Post
i have EBC USR discs,Brembo HP2000 pads,BF goodrich stainless lines and ATE Gold fluid ,i get vibration under track conditions from the brakes,never ever fade or get soft pedal but i have heard a lot of people with 335's saying they get the vibration so it must be a common issue
Hey, i also have EBC USR discs, but yellowstuff pads, goodridge steel lines, and ATE blue fluid. I never got a soft pedal but like yourself i did get the vibration.

I wish i kept a note of what lap i started getting the vibration. However next time i'll be using a dedicated track pad, will be interesting to see the difference they make.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #173
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:

Hey, i also have EBC USR discs, but yellowstuff pads, goodridge steel lines, and ATE blue fluid. I never got a soft pedal but like yourself i did get the vibration.
i only get the vibration (but only when the brakes are very hot),no soft pedal
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #174
tomwh85
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335d

I only ask because last weekend someone had taken my baby away from me
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #175
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwh85 View Post
I only ask because last weekend someone had taken my baby away from me
Oh no man. What happened??
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #176
tomwh85
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335d

Quote:
Oh no man. What happened??
Coming home from London last Sunday somone side swiped me into the crash barrier smashing my girl to bits. So i'm in the market looking for one.
Appreciate 0