E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How to make M3 style rear toe arms.

09-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

How to make M3 style rear toe arms.

Got round to building some rear toe arms with rose/heim/ball joints.

Just get a standard rear toe arm and press out the rubber bushes. The bushes are tight in there I used a hydraulic press. You need a 44mm sleeve to push them out. It can be done with a push pull kit which is what I use to put the new bushes in with. The rubber bushes are in a metal casing.

The following ball/heim/rose joint fits as a direct replacement:

Lemforder Control Arm Bush - 3067901

It's easier to put them in the freeze overnight. I also used bearing locking compound for safety.

If you decide to repaint the arms do it after you replace the bushes.

I found this info really difficult to find so I hope it helps some of you out.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2022, 03:08 PM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
There is more to the M3 arms than just the bushings though? The M3 arms are a solid aluminum arm vs. stamped metal. Also IRC the M3 arm is actually shorter giving more camber on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:37 AM   #3
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
There is more to the M3 arms than just the bushings though? The M3 arms are a solid aluminum arm vs. stamped metal. Also IRC the M3 arm is actually shorter giving more camber on the rear.
This thread should give all of the information anyone can want on rear control arms for the M3 vs 135/335:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1079383

Summary: The M3 rear toe arm is shorter and not useable with the 335 suspension without a full swap of the subframe and spindle (both the subframe and spindle have different offsets than the 335 versions).

The other M3 components can be used. There are also several aftermarket adjustable toe arms out there for reasonable prices.

-Rich
      09-10-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryantaz View Post
Quote:
This thread should give all of the information anyone can want on rear control arms for the M3 vs 135/335:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1079383

Summary: The M3 rear toe arm is shorter and not useable with the 335 suspension without a full swap of the subframe and spindle (both the subframe and spindle have different offsets than the 335 versions).

The other M3 components can be used. There are also several aftermarket adjustable toe arms out there for reasonable prices.

-Rich
Thanks rich, I think that's where I found some of the info on what bearings to use. I just couldn't find anyone that had actually done it.

There a guy on e90 fb group but doesn't seem to share info as he is selling them as kits.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The title has the word "style" in it.

You must be mistaken for the front lower control arm which gives you some more negative camber. Non of the rear M3 arms that can be fitted easily change camber.. Especially the toe arm which can only change …toe
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 07:54 AM   #6
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Compared to the M3 toe arm these keeps the stamped steel e9x arms. M3 toe arm is solid aluminum and slightly lighter. Because the subframe is different bmw would have had to design a new toe arm for the M3 that is a different length.
The material it is made from is irrelevant regarding strength neither would flex in any driving scenario it is the bushes that flex. This has been tested/measured on 1addicts.
So if you want toe arms that have less play so the toe does not change with lateral load you can go aftermarket toe arms or put these bearings in.
The problem with aftermarket toe arms is they are not sealed and often have a metal on metal bearing service with grease. The lemforder bushes is a bmw part that is used on the other arms in the m3 and e9x arms. It has type of plastic on one of its bearing surfaces to extend life span and is sealed.

The bearings are way cheaper than aftermarket and will last longer they can't adjust as much for people who lower their cars. They will offer the same benefits of the M3 arm in regard to handling.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #7
Maxmax73
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbl View Post
Compared to the M3 toe arm these keeps the stamped steel e9x arms. M3 toe arm is solid aluminum and slightly lighter. Because the subframe is different bmw would have had to design a new toe arm for the M3 that is a different length.
The material it is made from is irrelevant regarding strength neither would flex in any driving scenario it is the bushes that flex. This has been tested/measured on 1addicts.
So if you want toe arms that have less play so the toe does not change with lateral load you can go aftermarket toe arms or put these bearings in.
The problem with aftermarket toe arms is they are not sealed and often have a metal on metal bearing service with grease. The lemforder bushes is a bmw part that is used on the other arms in the m3 and e9x arms. It has type of plastic on one of its bearing surfaces to extend life span and is sealed.

The bearings are way cheaper than aftermarket and will last longer they can't adjust as much for people who lower their cars. They will offer the same benefits of the M3 arm in regard to handling.
To be exact, BMW intentionally redesigned toe arms (lengthwise) to improve suspension geometry.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #8
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmax73 View Post
Quote:

To be exact, BMW intentionally redesigned toe arms (lengthwise) to improve suspension geometry.
Do you know what they improved specifically?

I suspect bump steer or roll centre as the ride height is different. The non m3 e9x toes in under compress and toes out when extending.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:31 PM   #9
bigsurge
Private
Rep
Drives: none

I dont mean to revive an old thread but I am currently collecting parts to do the e90 m3 subframe swap in to an 335i, only thing is I want to keep the stock rear brakes and spindles

now I know all the arms (and if you have m3 shocks and springs) will bolt up but I'm not sure if the toe arm length difference comes from the subframe mount or in the spindle mount So if I have the m3 subframe with the 335 spindle will the toe arm fit or do I need an aftermarket toe arm
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 01:06 PM   #10
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
The m3 subframe toe arm mount is definitely in a different place. I am not sure I'd the spindle is also different or not.

I think they are both different. I ended up using all m3 suspension parts on my swap into my 335i. I have m3 rear brakes and remember that I would have needed an adjustable toe arm if I had kept the 335i subframe so I think they might both be different but it was a while ago so my memory is fading...

-Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 01-06-2024 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 05:06 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Do you know what they improved specifically?

I suspect bump steer or roll centre as the ride height is different. The non m3 e9x toes in under compress and toes out when extending.
Bump steer. Toe arm doesn't significantly affect anything else.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 05:07 AM   #12
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurge View Post
I dont mean to revive an old thread but I am currently collecting parts to do the e90 m3 subframe swap in to an 335i, only thing is I want to keep the stock rear brakes and spindles

now I know all the arms (and if you have m3 shocks and springs) will bolt up but I'm not sure if the toe arm length difference comes from the subframe mount or in the spindle mount So if I have the m3 subframe with the 335 spindle will the toe arm fit or do I need an aftermarket toe arm
Both different. So if you want to run only the M3 subframe and keep non-M spindle, you'll need custom or adjustable toe arms.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 08:05 AM   #13
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Bump steer. Toe arm doesn't significantly affect anything else.
As I suspected
Appreciate 0