E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dealership put 200 miles on my car during a radio repair!!

Closed Thread

12-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #23
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
One of my Cayennes went for service they left a nice jumper battery box in the trunk that was my gift for them damaging my 8k worth of wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
RMG
RMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
So many of these stories. What the hell are they doing with our cars?
...this is what I am asking myself after each visit to the dealership. We all know the answer..BMW NA - you guys should start and do something about this.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #25
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

You guys just reminded me, I didn't even check my mileage when my car was in on Monday. But I did notice the gas was still full--last time it came back 3/4 empty when they got it full. Maybe it's ok to not know/care, 100, 200, sometimes it's the price we pay to own a fine German automobile.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #26
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
You guys just reminded me, I didn't even check my mileage when my car was in on Monday. But I did notice the gas was still full--last time it came back 3/4 empty when they got it full. Maybe it's ok to not know/care, 100, 200, sometimes it's the price we pay to own a fine German automobile.
Why do you seem happy about them using your gas and racking up hundreds of miles? That is not the price we pay. The price we pay comes in an envelope from BMW Financial Services every 30 days to your door. You're weird man.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #27
GmoBmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Why do you seem happy about them using your gas and racking up hundreds of miles? That is not the price we pay. The price we pay comes in an envelope from BMW Financial Services every 30 days to your door. You're weird man.
Ya we pay for the right to drive them, Not for someone else to abuse the cars we care and take pride in.
      12-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmoBmw View Post
Ya we pay for the right to drive them, Not for someone else to abuse the cars we care and take pride in.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #29
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Punctuation and structure how do they work...

I see a wall of text.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #30
krayzie089
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 3351 coupe

Next time take it to the dealer in Silver Spring off of Briggs Chaney rd. Totally different expirence, and great customer service. VOB runs that place like an assembly line, quantity over quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #31
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
I haven't had any envelope come to me every 30 days for about 2 1/2 years, I don't pay anything, maybe that's why I'm not so uptight. For people who lease, it's understandable because that 200 miles they put on your car could cost you when you run out of rental miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #32
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
They must have turn your car for a temp loader
What's a "temp loader"? My minds draws me a picture of a forklift, but I don't see how it might apply.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #33
Beyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
2010 VW GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
What's a "temp loader"? My minds draws me a picture of a forklift, but I don't see how it might apply.
Maybe he was saying loaner.
      12-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #34
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

He was checking the reception.lol
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #35
Hada325isedan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Had a 325i Sedan Steptronic.

Attorney

I know in the internet world resurrecting a old thread is not seen as choice but this one seems like a sticky thread. Because this is a growing problem throughout the U.S.A. for all makes and models.

I read all the responses and though good advice none can truly hit a dealership where it hurts. Better Business Bureau complaints can be challenged, claims can be denied and frankly, if they joy ride in your car then they won't think twice before they tell a lie off the top of their head to their Supervisor. The Supervisor can give you the "yeah, yeah, sorry" routine etc.

The reason I posted this is because BMW buyers can create change, we have the money and the means, here is what I will do:

A. Locate a lawyer in my area by Google: Auto Dealer Fraud Attorney. Or just a general Attorney in the area. If they are willing to help me in the future, I will pay a consultation fee to ask them questions. I will ask him/her what to do if I get to my car while it is on the lot and see there are additional miles not accounted for on the paperwork. When they tell me to go to the Manager, I will ask what to do if the employees lie and they don't give any help from Management. I want an Attorney who will utilize my data logger information. Don't be afraid to tell them this is how far you are willing to go, because you want to make sure they're with you 100%.

Remember Attorneys are not mechanically minded (most anyway) and may not recognize the big deal with additional miles. Tell them that you're afraid they didn't just drive it, but that they sped, quick shifted the car, revved it to high rpm's. Now, in an Attorney's mind, this will ring "damages" however most joy rides may not cause initial damage, you have to prove it. This is when you ask them about wear and tear on the vehicle, things like transmission and valve spring wear, you may have to get an expert.

Here is what I'm going to do:

1. Make sure the Technician writes down the correct mileage that I took the vehicle in with. I might use a camera while I'm at it.
2. Buy a data logger. I will Google "data logger" and buy one. The best ones will catalog date, time, rpm, gear and speed as well as other dynamics of my vehicle. This bypasses State laws which say I cannot video tape or record the public without their knowledge, permission etc.
3. Take my paper work in my hand and walk out to my car and check my odometer with what the mileage "In" and "Out" was. If there is a discrepancy, then I have a legal case!!
4. Then follow the advice of my Attorney.
5. Just the discrepancy on the paper work may help but a data logger could prove essential in the 21st century.

Remember, you want to cause the Dealer or Mechanic fear that their business reputation will be tarnished and they could suffer heavy monetary loss for compensating you.

According to what I'm hearing, everything from fraud, breech of contract and criminal charges as well as damages can be calculated. Dealership may even settle for free perks. It is up to you how far you want to take it.

Personally, I had a 325i Sedan that a shop who was doing carpet cleaning work put 60 miles on it and my parents who bought the service as a gift decided not to tell me until after I sold the car! They had a friend of the business that they did not want to cause any tension with. Oh well, I learned my lesson on that one. One don't have your parents send your car to the shop for you. Two, a data logger would have sent them right to court.

Most recently, I had 10 miles put on my truck and didn't notice until I drove off the lot. That is one thing, if they lie and say "you drove off the lot so we can't say how far you drove"...on and on it goes. Stay on the lot, have a a data logger at most, at least your paperwork, and additional camera, cell phone, because when they scoff and they probably will. That is when you tell them you have an Attorney and a data logger and you get to enjoy the look on their faces. If you have a really good Attorney you can just tell them verbatim what your Attorney told you. Practice saying what they told you like a script if you have to. Because you want them to start offering you compensation.

With regards to my BMW, I had a guy not put in spark plugs and I had to tell him in conversation "...because this is a small claims court case for you." when he was arguing with me, then all of a sudden he not only admits what he did but then wanted a "second chance." Isn't that something? People these days.

No more mercy from me, three strikes already and the fourth event I'm taking them to court. Take care.

Last edited by Hada325isedan; 06-24-2015 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #36
ethanjoon
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6MT, E90 330i 6MT

I think a fair compensation would be to have the scratches repaired at no cost to you, in addition to $181. I based that off of KBB's True Cost to Own that says a brand new 3 series would cost you approximately $56k (with tax, registration, insurance, gas, etc.) over 5 years and 60k miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #37
WiL335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe Alpine White

Maybe I scrolled down too fast reading but I didn't see anywhere here that you mentioned the name of the dealership, location, and the person you dealt with. Please tell us so people in that area can avoid buying and getting their cars serviced there.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #38
Hada325isedan
Banned
Rep

Compensation

There is no telling what kind of 200 miles they put on it. Redlining the engine, drag racing, speeding, breaking traction. All of that is 200 miles of wear and tare that you would have never did yourself.

How can you put a price on that or what could have happened? I would sue them for a new car. At the least, I would sue them for a new paint job, and look for something lifetime for free.

The data logger though, now that would have hit them where it hurts. Just imagine: date stamped, time, speed, rpms, gears used and it would coincide with their own paperwork that shows plainly the car was in their hands. They would be done for. Your attorney would show them the copy and Management would collapse under the pressure of a lawsuit and bad press!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #39
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

The OP was in 2011...Thread is almost 4 years old. Not sure why it was bumped for that useless post.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #40
Hada325isedan
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewnel22 View Post
The OP was in 2011...Thread is almost 4 years old. Not sure why it was bumped for that useless post.
I always hear the above, why then do they allow you to post on threads over a certain amount of years?

Why is it useless to discuss legal strategy for keeping peoples cars from being absue. What happened in 2011 still happens today, happened in the 80's too. Now that tech exists to stop it, why is it useless?

Next time I hand my car over I'll tell them to give you a call when they want a joy ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #41
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hada325isedan View Post
I always hear the above, why then do they allow you to post on threads over a certain amount of years?

Why is it useless to discuss legal strategy for keeping peoples cars from being absue. What happened in 2011 still happens today, happened in the 80's too. Now that tech exists to stop it, why is it useless?

Next time I hand my car over I'll tell them to give you a call when they want a joy ride.
You are the reason for this
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142679
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #42
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hada325isedan View Post
There is no telling what kind of 200 miles they put on it. Redlining the engine, drag racing, speeding, breaking traction. All of that is 200 miles of wear and tare that you would have never did yourself.

How can you put a price on that or what could have happened? I would sue them for a new car. At the least, I would sue them for a new paint job, and look for something lifetime for free.

The data logger though, now that would have hit them where it hurts. Just imagine: date stamped, time, speed, rpms, gears used and it would coincide with their own paperwork that shows plainly the car was in their hands. They would be done for. Your attorney would show them the copy and Management would collapse under the pressure of a lawsuit and bad press!
All of your posts are screaming scammy. I've seen the crap where random "new members" jump into an old thread saying "Let's lawyer up!", oh.. By the way, I know a great Lawyer!" exactly like your posts on other threads, and forums.

If i'm wrong, so be it, but good luck suing for a new car, and everything else you're dreaming of.
      06-24-2015, 11:05 PM   #43
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Time to lawyer up. You can probably sue them for punitive damages. Look up the tort called "trespass to chattels." Get your attorney to request a jury trial, and they'll probably offer you a few thousand bucks to go away.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:28 AM   #44
Vitalität
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 & X5

Garage List
2015 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5 48i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2004 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Suck it up and move on. They put 125 miles on mine and the tech left Taylor Swift CD in my system so that compensate it I guess. Dealers does it all the time. When they what to buy a burger, run errands or whatever. As long as your car is working fine and in your case, will fix the scratches, move on and dont worry too much. Life is short and enjoy each day of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilobag View Post
So today was terrible for me. I went to pick up my bmw 328ci from the dealership after 7 days to get the radio and seatbelt arm repaired. When I got in the car I noticed that the odometer read 181 miles more than when I left it there. I even have a picture of my dashboard right when I dropped off the car. So even after this hard evidence, they claim that it could be the digital key reading the mileage incorrectly which is bs because I have a picture of the odometer and their paperwork also matches the mileage from my picture. The district manager even came in with a piece of paper with the mileage in kilometers and incorrectly converted it to miles to show that the mileage wasn't that high. After i used my iphone to convert it correctly and even did it on google, he finally stopped trying to treat me like a fool. On top of that I noticed scratches on the front bumper that were definitely not there when i dropped it off. I can't stand that dealerships won't treat their customers correctly. So now they have agreed to fix the scratches but they offered me $1000 towards the purchase of an extended warranty. Why the hell would I want to give them more money to purchase an extended warranty that I'm not interested in purchasing. I would much rather have either cash or have them give me the warranty instead of forcing me to spend money to buy one. All I really want is for them to admit that it actually happened and to compensate me fairly for it. The thing that pisses me off the most is that they keep denying it and claiming that they are offering me the fix and warranty discount in "good faith" since i am a "loyal customer". I am a fair and reasonable person, but this is just ridiculous and they need to treat their customers appropriately. These car dealers are such d-bags and I think they should get whats coming to them. I have no power to do anything so I'm hoping this story will at least help people prevent this from happening and to hurt the reputation of one of the worst dealerships I've ever used. I know many people have said it before but VOB BMW in Rockville MD is the worst dealership around!! Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do? What to ask for compensation? Should I contact a lawyer? I may even contact the police because it seems like a crime to me.

Garage: BMW i3 Giga World BEV | BMW E70 X5
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread