E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > New York speeding ticket question

07-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
krapnoj
IG: krapm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Prius

Question New York speeding ticket question

I was pulled over in upstate new york :mad: (im from PA) FOR GOING 63 in 45 mph zone..... the trooper was driving opposite direction but his radar must have picked up my speed while he was moving.. In PA, cops can only radar you down if they are stationary, so this is all NEW to me..
I can't deny I was speeding but I was really moving with the flow of traffic. so anyways, he gives me a ticket and tells me "just plead not guilty and mail it in, you don't have to show up in court. just watch your speed". and then he just books on out without giving me a chance to talk to him.

did he give me a break or will I end up receiving a fine and/or letter to show up in court in the mail later? he sounded understanding since I wasn't driving obnoxiouly and didn't deny my speed.

the ticket states I was in violation of "NYS V AND T LAW". The ticket has no space to explain y situation so I am confused as to why the officer told me to plead not guilt with no explanation.

if I do end up guilty, are any associated points from this ny ticket transferrable to my state in PA? I mean even if I pay the fine... do the points transfer?

2010 E90 SSII M3 -ZPP/ZTT/6MT-Found: 5/2012
Turner Testpipes/Stage 2 - Corsa Exhaust - Bilstein B16 - BBS LM - BBK - AutoSolutions SSK
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
orclean1
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapnoj View Post
I was pulled over in upstate new york :mad: (im from PA) FOR GOING 63 in 45 mph zone..... the trooper was driving opposite direction but his radar must have picked up my speed while he was moving.. In PA, cops can only radar you down if they are stationary, so this is all NEW to me..
I can't deny I was speeding but I was really moving with the flow of traffic. so anyways, he gives me a ticket and tells me "just plead not guilty and mail it in, you don't have to show up in court. just watch your speed". and then he just books on out without giving me a chance to talk to him.

did he give me a break or will I end up receiving a fine and/or letter to show up in court in the mail later? he sounded understanding since I wasn't driving obnoxiouly and didn't deny my speed.

the ticket states I was in violation of "NYS V AND T LAW". The ticket has no space to explain y situation so I am confused as to why the officer told me to plead not guilt with no explanation.

if I do end up guilty, are any associated points from this ny ticket transferrable to my state in PA? I mean even if I pay the fine... do the points transfer?

plead not guilty and state that you were doing the speed limit period. if they make you come to court ask them how could they pick you out when you were driving in a cluster of moving cars. It wasn't you that was speeding. I pleaded not quilty when i was picked up on radar and had the charge reduce to a improper lane change.
      07-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

points do not transfer from NY to PA. Pay the fine, don't bother doing anything else
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
keba330
House2Go
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

Just pay the fine and stick a fork in it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
markis64
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Alpine White 330xi

Garage List
3006 e90 330xi  [0.00]
yeah what they said
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
jordanko
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe EVERY opt but active

I would just pay it

I am from NYC, went to college in Rochester, and always drove through Pennsylvania. I have been pulled over so many times that I can't keep count, and I have received countless tickets. In my opinion, I would just pay the ticket because it is far less of a hassle than anything else. See if you can plead nolo-contendre. In short, that means that you will accept the punishment without admitting guilt.

If you need any more personal advice, private message me. After my speeding ticket days I went to law school.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:

NYS points are only awarded to NYS drivers.

If you show up, your ticket will most likely be reduced
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
krapnoj
United_States
Rep

thx guys for the input..

from wat i hear, NY points can transfer to another state within the tri-state area.. So i signed "not-guilty" just like the officer told me to do and sent it in the other day.. There is no way i can drive up 3 hrs to goto court, so i will have to settle everything over the phone..

Turner Testpipes/Stage 2 - Corsa Exhaust - Bilstein B16 - BBS LM - BBK - AutoSolutions SSK
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
krapnoj
United_States
Rep

hey guys just wanted to update..

i wrote a letter to the judge explaining that i can't make it to court due to work and school circumstances & asked that they accept a non-guilty plea thru the letter..

just got a letter back from the judge that he switched the offense to a non-moving violation with no points.. I just have to pay the 100 dollar fine and its all put thrown away.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

translation: we just wanted your money, thanks for choosing giving us money over getting raped by insurance.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
kablaam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by orclean1 View Post
plead not guilty and state that you were doing the speed limit period. if they make you come to court ask them how could they pick you out when you were driving in a cluster of moving cars. It wasn't you that was speeding. I pleaded not quilty when i was picked up on radar and had the charge reduce to a improper lane change.
Ehh, hmm he just said he WAS speeding and you want him to lie under oath.

I can see where this will lead......

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

2005 Honda Odyssey EX
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #12
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablaam View Post
Ehh, hmm he just said he WAS speeding and you want him to lie under oath.

I can see where this will lead......
I heard the Pennsylvania prison system is packed with people who commited perjury in traffic court.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 06:24 AM   #13
Eazyrock
Major
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 08' Helix 335i E93

Quote:
hey guys just wanted to update..

i wrote a letter to the judge explaining that i can't make it to court due to work and school circumstances & asked that they accept a non-guilty plea thru the letter..

just got a letter back from the judge that he switched the offense to a non-moving violation with no points.. I just have to pay the 100 dollar fine and its all put thrown away.
Good to hear it worked out for you.. Sucks you got a ticket in the first place. I once recieved a ticket for doing 66 in a 65. Talk about bullshit. It was in upstate NY so I'm pretty sure they just wanted the money knowing I wouldn't contest it from NJ.
      09-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

if my plates are from ny... and i get a speeding ticket in nj... how does that work?

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
3pete3the5greekI
The GrEeK
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi M EBII

pay for it and thast it..u got lucky just that points dnt transfer from the state in or out...!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #16
Bogo Shipyo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

what happen is,

u will get points deducted but the points only stay in nyc, if u exceed more then 12 points in the future before a 18 months then you will then have to go to court and pay a fine ( its a fine where if u exceed 6 points over 18 months period)

other then that you are good, no points will transfer through your pa insurance unless u exceed a certain amount of points

correct me if im wrongs guys ? i went through this proceed about a year ago
Appreciate 0