E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Minneapolis Dinan Stage 2 Users

01-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
ajvee
Major
Rep
Drives: None

Minneapolis Dinan Stage 2 Users

Guys,

I hope all is well. I am considering this tune for my car and was wondering if anyone is running it in the twin cities. If so, it would be great if I could get a ride in one your cars to get a feel for the tune. I appreciate the time and look forward to hearing.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
Darkcyd_Turbo
"Booty Hole Bandit"
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego E92 335xi

curious....why dinan versus jb3, procede, giac? aside from dinan's warranty thingy, their stg 2 is rediculous expensive for the type of gains you are looking at. You'll get more powa for the $ with the other choices I mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcyd_Turbo View Post
curious....why dinan versus jb3, procede, giac? aside from dinan's warranty thingy, their stg 2 is rediculous expensive for the type of gains you are looking at. You'll get more powa for the $ with the other choices I mentioned.

Appreciate the response. Good question. Well, I am essentially weighing up Dinan or GIAC as I prefer a flash tune in that I would like to install it and forget about it. Also, power delivery is really important to me and based on what I've read, it seems like the flash tunes are better in this regard. The warranty is an added bonus with Dinan.

I would really like to go GIAC, but I don't have any dealers close to me and shipping my ECU is not practical for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
DINAN FTW. drive out to chicago and ill take u around town
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
DINAN FTW. drive out to chicago and ill take u around town

Great! Might take you up on that if I am ever in town. How do you like your Dinan tune so far? How does it compare to the stock power delivery?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
i love it and it feels like a freight train. people will piss and moan that too much money not enough power blah blah blah. its no dyno queen but has more than enough power to keep u smiling for years. and your not going to get "walked" when going up against a jb3 or procede. u may lose but its not like youll be going in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
Great! Might take you up on that if I am ever in town. How do you like your Dinan tune so far? How does it compare to the stock power delivery?

Cheers.
Motorwerks in Bloomington used to be a Dinan dealer, pretty sure they still are. I haven't checked in a while.
      01-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN BMW View Post
Motorwerks in Bloomington used to be a Dinan dealer, pretty sure they still are. I haven't checked in a while.

Yup, Motorwerks is a Dinan dealer and I should probably check if they have a dinan stage 2 car that I can take for a spin.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
airwolf878
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I was thinking about getting this in the spring also, but last time I checked with Motorwerks the price is now up to like $2400 for the software + installation. That's pretty ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf878 View Post
I was thinking about getting this in the spring also, but last time I checked with Motorwerks the price is now up to like $2400 for the software + installation. That's pretty ridiculous.
$2400! That is ridiculous! BTW, your car is awesome, do you have any more pictures?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
yea i got mine for 2k out the door.they had a sale
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Subscribed - let me know if you can find a car to test drive. I was thinking of looking into Dinan after the winter is over...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
ajvee
Major
Rep

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
Subscribed - let me know if you can find a car to test drive. I was thinking of looking into Dinan after the winter is over...
I just confirmed that Motorwerks is a Dinan dealership, but they do not have a car that is outfitted with any of the software stages for a test drive. I think the $2400 price is accurate and they don't have any deals going on right now, but they might have some in the spring.

On a side note, they do offer the performance power kit as a retro-fit if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
Try to talk them down a little bit maybe get a couple hundo off
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
MN BMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Montego 328

Quote:

On a side note, they do offer the performance power kit as a retro-fit if anyone is interested.
I hate to ask, but what is the performance power kit?
      01-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #16
IRL-MN
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 | E30 | E28 | E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN BMW View Post
I hate to ask, but what is the performance power kit?
It's a kit for the N54 engine, part of the BMW Performance line. I think the power increase is around 20hp and there are some changes to the cooling system too. It's expensive though, as in more than $2k...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
okay here is my two cents on the dinan software. I have had the dinan stage 2 and had also jb3 and have to say that dinan is way too much for little gains. I have done a lot of research and from what it looks like dinan just really messes with throttle response and what not. I have noticed that when I took dinan off the car idled better and drove some much better (6speed MT trans) but it may be different on a AT.

Just make sure you make a right decision. Also you will have to understand that when you go Dinan you can not extend your warranty. Unless you go with a 3rd party but that is something that I have not looked into. feel free to talk to Cuban or myself because we both have extensive experience with Dinan.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #18
ajvee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
okay here is my two cents on the dinan software. I have had the dinan stage 2 and had also jb3 and have to say that dinan is way too much for little gains. I have done a lot of research and from what it looks like dinan just really messes with throttle response and what not. I have noticed that when I took dinan off the car idled better and drove some much better (6speed MT trans) but it may be different on a AT.

Just make sure you make a right decision. Also you will have to understand that when you go Dinan you can not extend your warranty. Unless you go with a 3rd party but that is something that I have not looked into. feel free to talk to Cuban or myself because we both have extensive experience with Dinan.

Good Luck
mkPOTO,

This is exactly the type of feedback that I am looking for. I am not really interested in the amount of power, but more interested in the way it is delivered. I think the stock power delivery is great, and I would like a tune to replicate that. I am reluctant about the JB3 in this regard, because from what I've read it is a more explosive tune, which to me translates into not as smooth as stock.

Would you agree with this based on your experience? It would be great if you could speak a little about how the power delivery compares between the two tunes.

Cuban,

Given that you still run the Dinan tune, I was hoping you could talk a little about the smoothness of the power delivery.

I appreciate both of your inputs.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
mkPOTO,

This is exactly the type of feedback that I am looking for. I am not really interested in the amount of power, but more interested in the way it is delivered. I think the stock power delivery is great, and I would like a tune to replicate that. I am reluctant about the JB3 in this regard, because from what I've read it is a more explosive tune, which to me translates into not as smooth as stock.

Would you agree with this based on your experience? It would be great if you could speak a little about how the power delivery compares between the two tunes.

Cuban,

Given that you still run the Dinan tune, I was hoping you could talk a little about the smoothness of the power delivery.

I appreciate both of your inputs.
What trans are you running?
The thing that attracted me to the JB3 is the fact that you can switch the maps with mods and what suits you and yours needs. I think that the Dinan software is basic and does not allow for much play. What I would recommend is get a ride in a Dinan chipped car. Delivery is pretty sweet, but from what I have been reading and how Dinan has been doing there chip it is not worth the amount of money for the way it is done
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #20
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
It comes on smooth literally like a frieght train. It reminds me of stock just on steroids. But when u mash it from zero mph it's just raw. I think it has great delivery. If I didn't care about warranty I'd get procede. It reminds me of dinan just more power up top. It pulls and pulls and pulls. Plus I like the tuneable aspect. I don't want to gave to hide my tune abd duck/dodge the dealer when something goes wrong. Every makes it seem like jb3 or procede is gonna crush dinan when it's not true. I'll drag whoever with whatever tune in the summer at great lakes dragway to get a comparo going. Let's get some facts going
ps I have an auto. I will admit the throttle at low speeds can sometimes be sensitive/jump
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
And I still haven't figured out the whole after warranty thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #22
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a man late for work

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
So as not to piss on your thread, I will stay out of the whole this tune blows, this one is better thing. Or try to anyway. Really, I only have first hand experience with one and it isn't Dinan.

My contribution will stem from my decision making process. Really it came down to cost benefit. Let's assume for a minute that Dinan has the smoothest power delivery, which is your concern. Is it $1700 better? I doubt it.

IMO, the only legitimate reason to pay for Dinan is for peace of mind due to Dinan's warranty.

As Los' point about the track, I wouldn't doubt that. However, I suspect that would be more because Los is a skilled driver than because of his tune.