E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - MTech E92 Front Bumper retrofit guide

04-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #23
JRZM3_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan@Tischer View Post
Nice DIY post!!!

We also recommend getting the full retrofit kit so you get everything required. We run them on special here!
Pointless and unnecessary...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #24
djdav
France
Rep
Drives: 335I E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKIMPACT View Post
This is a great write up and used it for my M-Sport bumper retrofit. You should all know that it is completely unnecessary to purchase and install the following parts:

51-74-8-045-348 AIR DUCT FRONT (OIL COOLER)
51-74-8-045-363 FRONT LEFT BRAKE DUCT
51-74-8-045-364 FRONT RIGHT BRAKE DUCT
51-75-8-046-333 UNDERHOOD SHIELD
51-71-8-045-399 COVER, BOTTOM L
51-71-8-045-400 COVER, BOTTOM R

Please save yourselves the trouble and money!! Unless you are using your car on a track where your car must have superior oil and brake cooling, then you don't need this!
Hi BLACKIMPACT, I'm very interested about our response
because I will do the same work on few weeks.

Did you cut original UNDERHOOD SHIELD (plastic under the engine) or did you have to adjust something ?
Do you have pics about this (under the car)
It's diffucult?

thanks for your help
      04-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #25
JRZM3_
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdav View Post
Hi BLACKIMPACT, I'm very interested about our response
because I will do the same work on few weeks.

Did you cut original UNDERHOOD SHIELD (plastic under the engine) or did you have to adjust something ?
Do you have pics about this (under the car)
It's diffucult?

thanks for your help
It's a direct bolt on. No cutting necessary. Take your old bumper off and put the new one on. It's that simple.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #26
djdav
France
Rep

Quote:
It's a direct bolt on. No cutting necessary. Take your old bumper off and put the new one on. It's that simple.
Ok
It's strange because on first pics ot the topic , we see OEM and M plastic Engine shield.
And it's not the same.

04-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #27
JRZM3_
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok
It's strange because on first pics ot the topic , we see OEM and M plastic Engine shield.
And it's not the same.
You're absolutely right. It is very misleading. However, if you take a very good look at where the screws go (the little silver squares with the holes in the middle) you'll see that they match up with the OEM shield.

The unnecessary parts listed above retail close to $400! Try fitting the M-Sport bumper first. If you're not convinced, then waste, (I mean), invest your money in the retrofit parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
Castel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue '13 E92 M3

Quote:
You're absolutely right. It is very misleading. However, if you take a very good look at where the screws go (the little silver squares with the holes in the middle) you'll see that they match up with the OEM shield.

The unnecessary parts listed above retail close to $400! Try fitting the M-Sport bumper first. If you're not convinced, then waste, (I mean), invest your money in the retrofit parts.
I think that's good advice, I mentioned it on post #14 to just try it. I tried it and didn't like the fit and wanted the air ducts to the oil radiator and brakes but I think for peace of mind you should order the kit without the "extra" parts and try it for yourself. If you are satisfied then you're good and saved $400, if not then you can always go ahead and order the rest of the parts.

The engine shields look different mostly because the MSport fender covers have the missing plastic piece attached, that makes it similar to the OEM shield.

Whatever you do report back and let us know! So that other people looking into the retrofit can learn from your experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #29
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

Mtech install in a few days!

hi guys. im intalling my new mtech bumper in a few days. i got all the parts need to complete the instal. now im interested in doing a Fog light Delete and putting Air ducts in place. does any body have any experience with this and part numb for the Air Ducts replacing the fogs. thank you
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 04:20 AM   #30
SIKH335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [1.00]
Hey guys if we just want the new Mtech brake ducts for the Mtech bumper will those fit with the stock fender liners and under car engine cover. I'm planning on doi. The Mtech front bumper but am deleting the fogs and just want the brake ducts. I don't have an oil cooler.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #31
djdav
France
Rep

Hi

I installed my oem m-tech front bumper.
and all is right with original (no-M) engine shield cover and wheel cover.

I changed only the 3 air duc (for brake and oil)

and I put this adaptator: 51758044389 between engine cover and bumper
      06-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #32
matrix607
Rep
Drives: 2010 SGM 335i

I had a shop put on an M-Tech kit for me that I got from Tischer. They said that my car already had all of the right pieces, and that I didnt need all the ducting. However, I am pretty anal and I want to validate their claim. My car is a 2010 335i with Sport package.

Does anyone have any close up pictures of the ducts on the passenger side? Or have any suggestions (short of taking the bumper off) in verifying that the pieces are indeed the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #33
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Hi

I installed my oem m-tech front bumper.
and all is right with original (no-M) engine shield cover and wheel cover.

I changed only the 3 air duc (for brake and oil)

and I put this adaptator: 51758044389 between engine cover and bumper
What exactly does this part#(51758044389) serve? Is it necessary to connect bottom bumper to the undertray? Can the M bumper be mounted without it?
      11-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #34
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nothing else is need. Just bumper and foglight and mesh middle, left and right. That's it. I also followed this ANSI end up shipping everything else back to tischer cus I didn't need it. So just the bumped and the mesh that's all.
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #35
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bumper

Nothing else is need. Just bumper and foglight and mesh middle, left and right. That's it. I also followed this AND I end up shipping everything else back to tischer cus I didn't need it. So just the bumped and the mesh that's all.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #36
djdav
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKLYZ View Post
What exactly does this part#(51758044389) serve? Is it necessary to connect bottom bumper to the undertray? Can the M bumper be mounted without it?
yes the adaptator is connected between bumper and undertray
and yes the m bumper can be mounted without this adaptator.
but it's better, because the bottom of M bumper is more larger.
you can fit without it, but you need to twist the M bottom.

ttbmer,
yes, you can change only the fog, but your original air duc are blocked. And I think is it not good, otherwise why bmw made them ?
      11-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #37
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree with u but the ducts r half blocked anyways with the fogs in place. I on the other hand didn't get fogs I got LCI duct on my Pre LCI Mtech bumper and even tho they don't got perfectly in place they fit, it looks like m3 air ducts just to give u a pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 04:12 AM   #38
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
yes the adaptator is connected between bumper and undertray
and yes the m bumper can be mounted without this adaptator.
but it's better, because the bottom of M bumper is more larger.
you can fit without it, but you need to twist the M bottom.

ttbmer,
yes, you can change only the fog, but your original air duc are blocked. And I think is it not good, otherwise why bmw made them ?
Thanks for the info. I ordered that adapter yesterday. I plan on installing the Msport front bumper this Saturday.
      11-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #39
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have a question tho. If I looking at my bumper I can see a small gap between the bumper and the hook almost like a is not a perfect fit, do I need to move the hood around and play it until it fits perfectly or is this normal?? I bought my bumper from tischer so I know is good. I have pics if u guys need to see one in order to help me fix this lines.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #40
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbmer View Post
I have a question tho. If I looking at my bumper I can see a small gap between the bumper and the hook almost like a is not a perfect fit, do I need to move the hood around and play it until it fits perfectly or is this normal?? I bought my bumper from tischer so I know is good. I have pics if u guys need to see one in order to help me fix this lines.
Post pics..
      02-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #41
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

First, thanks for the very detailed DIY. It helped immensely.

Now, onto feedback and questions. The comment regarding the headlight washer covers... I just assumed I had them. So, I used my pry tool. After snapping the backing off one of the covers, I realized it is just a cosmetic cover on my car and not a washer jet. A little Krazy glue solved the problem. Think you should put a cautionary note just in case someone DOESN'T have the washers.

Now for the question and pictures. I question how the bumper bottom looks. It the center supposed to bow towards the ground? This is caused by the adaptor (51758044389). Perhaps I'm using it wrong. Does this look right to you? This is before fixing the covers.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #42
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
[QUOTE=dsbj;11277277]First, thanks for the very detailed DIY. It helped immensely.

Now, onto feedback and questions. The comment regarding the headlight washer covers... I just assumed I had them. So, I used my pry tool. After snapping the backing off one of the covers, I realized it is just a cosmetic cover on my car and not a washer jet. A little Krazy glue solved the problem. Think you should put a cautionary note just in case someone DOESN'T have the washers.

Now for the question and pictures. I question how the bumper bottom looks. It the center supposed to bow towards the ground? This is caused by the adaptor (51758044389). Perhaps I'm using it wrong. Does this look right to you? This is before fixing the covers.

[quote=BLKLYZ] I ordered that same adapter, but when I was installing everything seemed to bolt up just fine without the adapter. If you can only see the bulge from that angle, I would just leave it as is.
      02-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #43
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKLYZ View Post
(BLKLYZ)I ordered that same adapter, but when I was installing everything seemed to bolt up just fine without the adapter. If you can only see the bulge from that angle, I would just leave it as is.
If you look at the last pic, it protrudes pretty far down and at a slight angle. Granted I never get close to parking curbs but if I did manage to accidentally snag something in reverse, I'd be worried I'll rip my bumper off.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #44
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
If you look at the last pic, it protrudes pretty far down and at a slight angle. Granted I never get close to parking curbs but if I did manage to accidentally snag something in reverse, I'd be worried I'll rip my bumper off.
Then I would suggest you remove it. It will bolt up securely without it.