E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Bad fuel epidemic killing injectors...

01-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

A little water isn't the end all but dirt is a problem. I wonder if the customers who use this shop were burning "red" diesel out of some old tanks. I addition you have to wonder how the sediment is getting ng past the filter. It should be physically impossible unless that pump has a bypass feature. I suspect there's more to the story.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #24
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
A little water isn't the end all but dirt is a problem. I wonder if the customers who use this shop were burning "red" diesel out of some old tanks. I addition you have to wonder how the sediment is getting ng past the filter. It should be physically impossible unless that pump has a bypass feature. I suspect there's more to the story.
While tank sediment is certainly a real issue esp if a UST is allowed to run near dry, it is my understanding he is speaking more to the issue of higher concentrations of water being found in the fuel for the exact same reason - tanks being allowed to run near empty exposing the "water bottom." Fuel/water seperators that become prematurely clogged/dirty will prove to be ineffective at keeping higher concentrations of water from passing the filter. Certain MY Powerstroke diesel injectors were more sensative to higher concentrations of water, but irrespective of that fact, it does not negate the potential issues high concentractions of water poses for other diesel owners.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So could this bad batch just be lack of maintenance. This thread is by no means an all hands on deck sky is falling scenario which all diesel owners should worry about. 22k mile interval for FF changes seems prudent.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So could this bad batch just be lack of maintenance. This thread is by no means an all hands on deck sky is falling scenario which all diesel owners should worry about. 22k mile interval for FF changes seems prudent.
It could be a combination of things to include lack of maintenance by filling stations and or owners. However, the indication is that it is more than that. Owners did not just wake up one day and decide they were going to stop performing maintenance. There have already been numerous reports of injector failures on 335d's. Could these cases be from lack of maintenance? Not likely considering most occured while under warranty and within the free service period.

This thread is about awareness. We can hypothosize all day long as to reasons for the spike in injector failures this shop has experienced. The shop foreman/owner gave his opinion, which sounds logical to me, so it is up to you decide, take it or leave it.

Last edited by cssnms; 01-29-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
It could be a combination of things to include lack of maintenance by filling stations and or owners. However, the indication is that it is more than that. Owners did not just wake up one day and decide they were going to stop performing maintenance. There have already been numerous reports of injector failures on 335d's. Could these cases be from lack of maintenance? Not likely considering most occured while under warranty and within the free service period.

This thread is about awareness. We can hypothosize all day long as to reasons for the spike in injector failures this shop has experienced. The shop foreman/owner gave his opinion, which sounds logical to me, so it is up to you decide, take it or leave it.
Awareness that bad fuel happens? I agree but to take it further as meaning we all need to spend $$ on additional filtration because BMW didn't plan for this contingency is a bit of a stretch. Happens all the time on the internet. One random event is transformed into an everday occurance which must.be dealt with. Ranks up with the BMW engines sludge up.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awareness that bad fuel happens? I agree but to take it further as meaning we all need to spend $$ on additional filtration because BMW didn't plan for this contingency is a bit of a stretch. Happens all the time on the internet. One random event is transformed into an everday occurance which must.be dealt with. Ranks up with the BMW engines sludge up.
Okay.
Appreciate 0