E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > anyone else getting decreased gas mileage now that the weather is cold?

01-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
markus037
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2010 328Xi

anyone else getting decreased gas mileage now that the weather is cold?

I have been noticing ever since the weather has gotten colder my car is getting about 80 miles on a 1/4 tank or so. anyone esle have a similar decrease in fuel economy?
      01-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Are you using your heated seats and heated steering wheel? If so, they draw a lot of current from the alternator which means worst gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
markus037
Lieutenant
Rep

i use my heated seats everyday.
      01-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
MTTH
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 328xi |'18 440xi GranCoupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure
Are you using your heated seats and heated steering wheel? If so, they draw a lot of current from the alternator which means worst gas mileage.
Wow I had no idea
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037 View Post
i use my heated seats everyday.
Depending on what heat setting and if both seats are on, it could add up to about 1-4 mpg difference. I typically see 2 mpg less and I use both the heated seat and steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
peterparker
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It's winter gas. It has more oxygen molecules to help warm up your car faster!

Also the cold denser air doesn't really help gas milage either.

Snippet from: http://newsroom.aaa.com/2013/06/what...lend-gasoline/
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer. However, the summer-blend is also more expensive to produce, and that cost is passed on to the motorist.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I seem to remember reading that here in Oregon there is typically a higher percentage of ethanol added in the winter for emissions reasons. Since ethanol has a lower overall energy potential than standard gasoline (I'm sure my terminology is incorrect but the idea is the same so no need to jump all over me if you're a pro ethanol guy) it does effect mpgs. I've been able to find a few stations in town that sell ethanol free gasoline and it makes a big difference in both of my bimmers. So combine this with increased electronics usage as mentioned above as well as possibly lower tire pressure due to colder denser air and you could be losing quite a bit of the course of one tank. Not sure if the ethanol issue is true in all states so you may want to check your with your local stations.

Btw, ethanol free gasoline is typically more expensive so I did a quick comparison based on fuel mileage and actually found that paying extra for the ethanol free pays for itself in increased fuel mileage. I run it year round now. The station attendants all know me and my cars and have mentioned that they do have a dedicated group of customers who will put nothing else into their cars.
      01-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Oh and not to state the obvious but hopefully you're not letting your car warm up for 15 minutes every morning before driving... Biggest waste of gas there is.

Ever notice that the people who complain about gas prices being too high or food prices being too high, etc etc are the people who are the most wasteful? I went grocery shopping the other day and this fat dirty couple were sitting in their car with the windows down complaining about some financial thing... The cost of groceries or something. Naturally, the car is running with the windows down and heater on. When I come out 15 minutes later they are still there, still arguing, car still running, windows still rolled down. The money they wasted on gas probably would have paid for the ho hos he wanted and of course if they'd stood up and walked around to actually pump some blood and burn some calories they wouldn't have needed to have the car running and might have discovered how good exercise felt. Sorry for the rant, here in Central Oregon it gets frustrating being surrounded by so many people with absolutely no aspirations in life or sense of responsibility... Gimme gimme gimme. Ugh. Okay, end of rant.
      01-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
markus037
Lieutenant
Rep

i never let my car idle, maybe 30 seconds til the idle drops below 1,000 rpms. i usually just hop in and go. i know this warms the car up faster and uses less gas.
      01-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
iDriveanXi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Yup hop in and go. I keep it 3k or under until the oil temp needle moves to about 180 then I Rev it more.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #11
critical05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi 6 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
I seem to remember reading that here in Oregon there is typically a higher percentage of ethanol added in the winter for emissions reasons. Since ethanol has a lower overall energy potential than standard gasoline (I'm sure my terminology is incorrect but the idea is the same so no need to jump all over me if you're a pro ethanol guy) it does effect mpgs. I've been able to find a few stations in town that sell ethanol free gasoline and it makes a big difference in both of my bimmers. So combine this with increased electronics usage as mentioned above as well as possibly lower tire pressure due to colder denser air and you could be losing quite a bit of the course of one tank. Not sure if the ethanol issue is true in all states so you may want to check your with your local stations.

Btw, ethanol free gasoline is typically more expensive so I did a quick comparison based on fuel mileage and actually found that paying extra for the ethanol free pays for itself in increased fuel mileage. I run it year round now. The station attendants all know me and my cars and have mentioned that they do have a dedicated group of customers who will put nothing else into their cars.
It's not ethanol, it's butane that used in winter gas. It also makes winter gas slightly cheaper than summer gas since butane is inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post

It's not ethanol, it's butane that used in winter gas. It also makes winter gas slightly cheaper than summer gas since butane is inexpensive.
Oh... You're right. My bad.

I still like to stick with the ethanol free whenever possible due to it's higher energy and lower corrosive effects on the fuel system. I'd encourage anyone who hasn't already to read about gasoline additives, summer and winter blends and the effects of ethanol. Really interesting stuff.
      01-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #13
blown07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure View Post
Depending on what heat setting and if both seats are on, it could add up to about 1-4 mpg difference. I typically see 2 mpg less and I use both the heated seat and steering wheel.
heated seats are about 50 watts each or less than 1/10 of a hp each so I doubt your're gonna see any diff in mpg

335xi FBO,Meth,JB4,Sutphin flash,VTT stage1 11.38 1/4 - 7.30 1/8th - 3.35 0 to 60 @ 0C
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
E94
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Yep, I have also noticed a decreased mpg in the winter.

I am getting around 18-19 in the winter and around 20-22 in the summer.

Mainly city driving.

I have noticed in the winter you are also braking a lot more and not driving as steadily as you would in more clear weather.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #15
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

I have noticed a decrease in mileage as well. I always thought it was just due to the cold air...im prolly getting about 17-19mpg on average right now
      02-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #16
'02onthebrain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi; '00 911 C4

I am getting less mpg as well. I suspect winter gas and I can feel my car in AWD more often with the bad weather.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #17
anthony.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i e92xdrive lemans blue

i see you are ASE certified. i myself am a master tech, and am surprised you have came here with question which you should already know the answer too.. (not trying to be rude)

winter blend gas, colder air.. more fuel...

colder air =lower tire PSI,
denser air= more aero drag..
etc..

as far as heated seat/steering. that barely affects gas mileage. does put more on the alternator but nothing where even you should notice a .1-2 mpg difference.

and no, using the heater does not affect gas mileage. A/C is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #18
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony. View Post

as far as heated seat/steering. that barely affects gas mileage. does put more on the alternator but nothing where even you should notice a .1-2 mpg difference.
I really thought the heated seats used much more than 45 watts, so my estimation on gas mileage was way off. So yes you are correct that you might not really see much of a hit on your gas mileage from using them. But I wanted to make sure everyone knows that the more current you pull, the more gas you will burn. This is why the new BMW's now charges the batteries when you are braking.
Appreciate 0