E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > xpost from general forum regarding how 328 handles in snow around DC area.

07-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
DDL24
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 S4

xpost from general forum regarding how 328 handles in snow around DC area.

Hi folks,

First post here. Have been an Audi man for the past 7 years and currently have a B6 S4. I am thinking about switching to a car that represents the best of BMW, light real-wheel drive, NA inline 6. I test drove a 328 last December and throughly enjoyed the car, light, atheletic and responsive. Just Fun. and I also got a taste of rear wheel drive feel and it stuck in my mind.

Just want to hear from someone who has an NON-XI 328 in Mid-Atlantic region how does it handle in the snow.

My question is if I put a set a winter tire on the 328, for the limited amount of snow we got in DC area, do you feel comfortable/safe driving in the snow?

you may wonder why not getting an XI or 335 especially I am driving a V8 S4? If I want an all wheel drive, I would have stayed with Audi. as for 335, I don't want that much power. Temptation is too great to put those power to use. I suffer too much from the tremdous restraints needed.

Thanks.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Rich - I know lots of e90post guys in the DC area, and can't think of any offhand that have the xi. Nearly all of us drive the RWD version of the E9x.

Several people here went with all season tires only last winter, but a large number of us got winter tires. IMO if you're swapping out tires anyway, you might as well get winter tires. Modern "performance winter" tires work well in the rain and cold and dry as well as the snow, and are much, much grippier than the "snow tires" of the old days. You probably are familiar with this concept already, coming from an S4, but I was pretty amazed at how good they are.

I had Dunlop M3 DSST tires width 225 all around on 17" rims last year (my summers are the 18" OEM staggered). The car drove very well in the snow. I live on a slight hill and my street is always the last to be plowed. The 330i made it up the hill with unplowed snow when my old FWD Civic definitely would not have made it. Still, it was a bit of a struggle and 4WD/AWD would have been better. Nevertheless, the 330i with winter tires was definitely good enough for DC, probably overkill, in fact.

I delayed putting my summer tires back on until I fixed the rims, so I ended up driving on the winter tires until like May. I have to say, I remain extremely impressed by how far tire technology has come. Dunlop M3 DSST is a RFT winter tire and it has a fairly aggressive tread, yet they were quiet on the road and felt confident in turns (up to a point). In any case, it is no BS – "winter performance" tire is not a contradiction in terms like I thought it would be. I would not hesitate to recommend the Dunlop M3's to anybody.

In short - I think you will have no regrets getting the 328i instead of xi.
      07-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
DDL24
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 S4

Thanks BK. That's very helpful. I think it's better to pay for the extra set of winter tires than paying for the XI which is a liability most of the time.

Too bad they don't make 330 anymore, I think that's the best BMW engine there is.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
sixspeedsam
I'd Rather Be Apexing...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Rich - was an Audi guy for several years before I bought the 330. I have a set of dedicated winter tires for the BMW - and it works fine. Granted, doesn't have the bite of the Quattro that we knew and loved, but feather the throttle and you shouldn't have any issues getting around town.

The tires make all the difference in the world. Summers + snow = ice skates.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I went through last winter on the stock all season Bridgestone EL42s, and I have to tell you, there were hairy instances All I can say is that I gave the DSC/DTC/ABS a good work out, but with prudent driving I made it through the worst of the season safely(daily commutes and all). I have to agree with BK and sixspeedsam, an investment in dedicated winter tires will go a long way to reduce stress. Safety first, right? I might just do that soon...

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
ettil
ugh
Rep
Drives: broken 328ix

Ok so it looks like I'm the one DC Metro member who went w/xi.

I've driven RWD in the snow (cars & my former F-150) and not always had the best results. My 996 is a C4 and handles decently (no, not great but driveable) in the snow w/performance tires. I pretty much just scrape down the snow behind the car & back out while watching next door have to go to bare payment & push to get their SUV out It's not uncommon for me to be in DC late at night and drive home to an inch or two at my house. My neighborhood street isn't plowed well nor are the streets I'm on in DC so 4wd is a nice comfort for me. The BMW replaced my truck & I liked the 4wd on the porsche so... One day when I have a garage I'll have multiple sets of tires and maybe a lift kit on the porsche

Guess it's all about where exactly you are and where you have to go
      07-10-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDL24 View Post
Just want to hear from someone who has an NON-XI 328 in Mid-Atlantic region how does it handle in the snow.

My question is if I put a set a winter tire on the 328, for the limited amount of snow we got in DC area, do you feel comfortable/safe driving in the snow?
Thanks.

Rich
I've been using a separate winter set too Rich. I havent got stuck yet, but of crse I dont drive thru snow banks. You'll be fine
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Biggins
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 318i

Buy some Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50s and you can go anywhere in the snow. I don't have an E90, but my E36 (RWD, no LSD) has been indestructible making it to and from the slopes in PA, MD, WV with the Blizzaks.

I only had problems once this year when we had 8+ inches while in Hagerstown because my car is lowered and the plow hadn't been through. With the Blizzaks, my car handled predictably and as it does in the dry.
Appreciate 0