E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Kinda disappointing 1/8 mile results

03-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
^Its all about driving YOUR car. YOUR car is a diesel and the optimal shift point for most gears is a little above 4,000rpm. Rotory guys always complain about having no power below 4krpm, but this is because the power band is roughly 4200 to 9000rpm. Shift at 8800 on an rx8 and you'll be in heaven.

To OP, why do you need bmw approved tires/wheels, but its ok to run your car at a drag strip? Why not just change the wheels for e event then change back?

Btw, your transam weird roughly 3500lbs (vs 3800) and had 275s (non-rft) in the back on 17s which were probably lighter than your 3s wheels. Probably had a five-speed as well, thus (assuming you are launching in second) you are probably about even there. Power/weight and traction are some good places to start, but most of all, practice. I expect poor times my first time out...never been a drag-racer, but I'm always willing to humbly learn.
I thought about switching out wheels, but I figure I'd like be just as fast on the street as on the track. Plus, I'm lazy. Haha

Good point on the Trans Am. It was almost 3600 when I weighed it now that I think about it. So that's a couple tenths I suppose.

I also guess I will see if I can shift a little earlier. These are are all awesome ideas I didn't think of. Thanks everyone for your help.

I am still a little curious about the launch thing, but I guess I'll look into a LSD for now. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Ok Amigos for those who request my drag times I DONT HAVE or PLAN to do any I dont like dragging its not me never liked it anyway!!!

hrc read correctly I am not implying one is better than the other its is my personal matter that I like RENNtech more so than JBD cause I HAVE UESD it for 10 years w/o problems NO LIMP MODE or GRADUATE the percentages.

jan31 will be in the island and i will give him a RIDE on my car and he will attest to the performance of it. If 310 WHP doesnt mean much to you then convert the approx torque figures which I pressume is somewhere around 450 lbs/torque more or less. I care less but my car runs great, so stop asking me about drag times I feel like a drag queen NOW!! LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Buy Mustang or some other big bored V8 iif you're interested in drag racing.
Something with this on the grill (but they are not cheap):
Attached Images

Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Or if you're gonna spend money...this with a supercharger....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
I'm not a fan of white cars but man is that ever done right.

Sick.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #28
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Ok Amigos for those who request my drag times I DONT HAVE or PLAN to do any I dont like dragging its not me never liked it anyway!!!

hrc read correctly I am not implying one is better than the other its is my personal matter that I like RENNtech more so than JBD cause I HAVE UESD it for 10 years w/o problems NO LIMP MODE or GRADUATE the percentages.

jan31 will be in the island and i will give him a RIDE on my car and he will attest to the performance of it. If 310 WHP doesnt mean much to you then convert the approx torque figures which I pressume is somewhere around 450 lbs/torque more or less. I care less but my car runs great, so stop asking me about drag times I feel like a drag queen NOW!! LOL
You've made your stance very clear about RENNtech, on more threads than I even care to count. JBD did 308RWHP when I first had it installed on my car, and that was a pre-release version (feel free to check BMS' site, as the dyno they show is from my car).

If I'm being honest, for the trouble it takes to do an ECU tune, and the yields gained (based on your #'s), the JBD is a better option and is more flexible, as it doesn't require the removal of the ECU to be changed, and the ECU doesn't have to be reflashed if the dealership has to do a software update.

There is a line between recommendation and being overzealous. I'm afraid you've crossed that line a long, long time ago.

Give it a rest.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #29
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

I see your plight Ronin but I try to be fair and unbiased here in this forum and others I am in, Im glad JBD has given you the power needed for your car and glad your happy with your product, I for one respond to what has been performed on my car and since RENNtech has been my tuner for over 10 years and I DONT get ANY kick offs I merely suggest am I being overzealous? I beleive not, but you like me will say the same with your tuner, that said, its our opinions and suggestions, for me I have yet to go on LIMP MODE ala JBD the only time I went LIMP MODE because I had not used DIESEL CLEANER in a month and then when i added it while running it went that way, turned car off and then back on and ran the car twice on the half mille race and the car was lose as a goose. I say what I say cause Im experiencing the product. I always suggest that ANYONE look into products before they buy, I have an assortement of features MOST here do not have in their cars and by me giving the inside SCOOP on things does not make me overzealous, I have critized EXECUHITCH for one and at the same time praised their product, on RENNtech the ONLY downside is the bench flash. and i dont have to remove it (any piggyback)

yes for the bang for your buc JBD is better I have never condoned it but many have claimed issues with it, some cars work excellently with it some DONT!! but frankly its my opinion I respect yours but I will not let it rest cause this is an open forum and you and I can say what can be the best in each ones perspective.

I have had many people contact me via PM on various forums and give them my perspectives as to what they want to hear or not I merely give suggestions and also give insight on a product i have installed on my car not anyone else's.I have been into Terry's website and as a matter of fact I almost bought the JBD but I was not to happy to speak via EMAIL!! I wanted to speak to the man and then i found out that RENNtech had made a program for the DIESEL and iwas able to SPEAK to someone that alone convinced me besides I had previous experience with them, so to say the least think what you want, say what you want as long its in good Karma I will be more than happy to keep on posting what I feel is correct. Gracias!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #30
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

Sounds pretty good timing wise to me.

My concern would be the gearbox. The 335d engine management limits torque to the gearbox in the first two gears as it can't handle the torque. This is to protect it. I would assume that your wierd rev dropping is this. If you remove this protection you will have a very expensive run.

Diesels are never brilliant off the mark and are better suited to mid range punch. I would think that on a longer run you will gain a better time as once you are out of second the car will give you full power. You will also probable gain time by short shifting and keeping the engine in the torque band rather than going up to the red line. Change at 4000-4300 rather than 4800-5000rpm

J
      03-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #31
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman View Post
Sounds pretty good timing wise to me.

My concern would be the gearbox. The 335d engine management limits torque to the gearbox in the first two gears as it can't handle the torque. This is to protect it. I would assume that your wierd rev dropping is this. If you remove this protection you will have a very expensive run.

Diesels are never brilliant off the mark and are better suited to mid range punch. I would think that on a longer run you will gain a better time as once you are out of second the car will give you full power. You will also probable gain time by short shifting and keeping the engine in the torque band rather than going up to the red line. Change at 4000-4300 rather than 4800-5000rpm

J
Good advice. I will be hitting the 1/4 mile track in the next couple weeks and will see if these things help.

So what is your opinion of launching in sport mode M2 @ 2000 RPM? Any other recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #32
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

If you launch om M2 make sure DSCis completely OFF! U can brake boost or do like I do start of wildly!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #33
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

Most drag strips apply a glue like substance to give extra grip. With traction off you would get far more grip then on a normal road.

Just go easy on that gearbox.
      03-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #34
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
Thanks for the good info. I browse around here a lot trying to get a good idea of what options I have. I am pretty impressed with TDIwyse's setup, but every time I try to duplicate others results, I seem to do worse. I do hear good things about the Evolve tune though. I don't know anyone besides you with the RENNtech tune, but I will research.
I dont know if you are speaking of BMW in general or just the 335d cars, but there are lots of bimmer's that are RENNtech tuned. a 1M, 135i, X6, X5, 335i, and the 335is . There is about 3-4 of use that come to these forums, others just dont care to waist their time until you meet them on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrc630 View Post
RENNtech again !
Puerto Rican 335d, what is your time at the drag to write that... ?
From now, we have no evidence that the RENNtech produce more power than the JBD.
Would you like to use me as an example of RENNtech's tuning ? I have not met a BMS OTS tune to pull on me yet, and yes they were on Map 6 or 7 and where more FBO than I am with Meth. I am sure the 335d tuning will do the same to any of the BMS OTS maps unless Terry does customized tuning for that specific 335d

Quote:
PR, honestly, I a dying to know because it will weigh into a decision which I have coming down the pipeline...what kind of 1/4 times are you seeing with the RENNtech tune?

Thanks!
I am dieing to know myself, wish I was the driver also

anyhow everyone my apologies if I offended anyone but just shining some light to show that PR is not alone
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #35
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I dont know if you are speaking of BMW in general or just the 335d cars, but there are lots of bimmer's that are RENNtech tuned. a 1M, 135i, X6, X5, 335i, and the 335is . There is about 3-4 of use that come to these forums, others just dont care to waist their time until you meet them on the road.
I was talking about 335d's only as a RENNtech tuned 135i or 335i wouldn't help my research at all since I have a 335d. I wasn't putting down his tune either, just saying that I hadn't seen that many 335d's using that tune yet. I am open to any tune, but I believe that Evolve had the best dyno numbers I have seen on this forum (at 327bwhp) and TDIwyse's 335d is running 12.6's with the Evolve tune, a modded JBD, and meth.

I think people keep asking for Puerto Rican 335d's numbers because he is on here a lot and promotes RENNtech pretty well. I think it's logical for people to want to know exactly how fast a tune makes a car so everyone is just curious of the times a 335d with a RENNtech tune would run. That way you could compare results and then make a choice as I am trying to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #36
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
I was talking about 335d's only as a RENNtech tuned 135i or 335i wouldn't help my research at all since I have a 335d. I wasn't putting down his tune either, just saying that I hadn't seen that many 335d's using that tune yet. I am open to any tune, but I believe that Evolve had the best dyno numbers I have seen on this forum (at 327bwhp) and TDIwyse's 335d is running 12.6's with the Evolve tune, a modded JBD, and meth.

I think people keep asking for Puerto Rican 335d's numbers because he is on here a lot and promotes RENNtech pretty well. I think it's logical for people to want to know exactly how fast a tune makes a car so everyone is just curious of the times a 335d with a RENNtech tune would run. That way you could compare results and then make a choice as I am trying to do.
Ok now thats clear, however there is alot more than dynos, 1/4 miles runs. Yes of course they are a starter and I do agree that their should be some sort of solid facts available about boost, timing, and AFRs etc

I can get a dyno for you for starters if PR is not able to get one, and logs. I have requested them directly from RENNtech.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #37
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Gracias Buraq for looking out for me, my car dynoed 300 whp with the ECU flash then Lenny reprogrammed it so i got 306.69. I can have more power throughout the band, then I installed the WAGNER IC and got some more ponies 311.69 but was ran on a hotter day so suffice to say I can outrun many cars I have the dyno tuns on my cell if you want it PM me DD has ALL the fact about my car,if EVOLVE is better I dont know but like stated I DONT see many EVOLVE people either LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #38
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
If you give me a good discount (wink wink, nudge, nudge) , I'll retune with RENNtech then dyno and do some 1/4 mile runs. Would RENNtech do a custom tune to eliminate DPF and EGR? If so, I think we can expand your market share quite significantly.

With a really good discount, I'll even buy some slicks to give you the best possible results With an extraordinary discount, I'll toss in a snow meth kit to boot

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #39
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you give me a good discount (wink wink, nudge, nudge) , I'll retune with RENNtech then dyno and do some 1/4 mile runs. Would RENNtech do a custom tune to eliminate DPF and EGR? If so, I think we can expand your market share quite significantly.

With a really good discount, I'll even buy some slicks to give you the best possible results With an extraordinary discount, I'll toss in a snow meth kit to boot
Once you flash with RENNtech it illiminates all that and you dont need meth if you have a "good quality" upgraded intercooler andnot the first cheap thing you can find in the online flea market

A 335d is being brought down this week to be flashed and dyno...I requested logs also. What you are going to see are non adaptive numbers which means more potential power after the DME fully adapts "naturally" after 100-200 miles driven which is typical with flash only tunes

One thing people have to keep in mind is just because someone dyno claim is330 whp , you have to look at what type of dyno it was done one:

Dynojet - notorious for reading high output number (very easy to find)

Mustang Dyno - notorious for reading low output numbers (some what easy to find)

Dynapack - most accurate in reading output numbers (very hard to find)

Another thing you need to find out is if your tubros are running within their efficiency range

If your leasing your 335d then go ahead with the JBD if you want to beat the hell out of it since your not keeping the car and you can resell the JBD later

If you own your car and want performance, consistency, balance, and efficiency then RENNtech is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #40
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
The majority of the truck guys I know run water/meth with or without tune for the sake of mpg & some added power. Why not couple it with the RENNtech tune (or Evolve/JBD/stock) for similar results?

When you say "non-adaptive numbers", is this to say that the output will increase after this period, decrease, or possibly either?

Most Dynos (RENNtech, evolve, JBD, etc) that I've seen are putting out similar peak numbers. There are some differences in the distribution over the rpm band and, obviously, the method of getting there can have associated positives or negatives.

I look forward to your input.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #41
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
^ I would love to see before and after dyno, Assuming they will do stock run and then another with the flash.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #42
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
^ I would love to see before and after dyno, Assuming they will do stock run and then another with the flash.
They have a dyno posted on their site (image 2), but I'm not sure from where it came.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #43
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Ok amigos Lenny clld me a board member did his Renntech flash and the numbers were 306whp and 445 lbs of torque on the wheels he also sent me pics w the connection to read the torque which I fwded to DD to post since I'm traveling. He told me members name but I can't remember who he is but one thing he did mention was that the guy was from Atlanta and he mentioned my name a lot!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #44
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The majority of the truck guys I know run water/meth with or without tune for the sake of mpg & some added power. Why not couple it with the RENNtech tune (or Evolve/JBD/stock) for similar results?

When you say "non-adaptive numbers", is this to say that the output will increase after this period, decrease, or possibly either?

Most Dynos (RENNtech, evolve, JBD, etc) that I've seen are putting out similar peak numbers. There are some differences in the distribution over the rpm band and, obviously, the method of getting there can have associated positives or negatives.

I look forward to your input.
Sorry about the delay in reply I wasnt referenced. Had to come browsning in here manually

I would go with a water to air intercooler anytime over using meth. Again this is preference. Meth is something that need to be tuned for to take full advantage of it. Water to Air cooling you dont and it will help with better timing and AFRs. Meth can do the same thing and alows you to increase boost, however, I dont trust meth. I have seen one guy get water logged from using meth, and too many cars catch on fire due to some freak accident leak.

It is a proven fact that after tuning a car and throwing it on a dyno same day, the dumbers you get that day are worse case number where the DME has not fully adapted yet

You can see anywhere up to a 5% increase. I have seena guy dyno his car on a car that was already settled on a tune and when he reset the adaptation and dyno again his dyno results was significanly less

You will only see a decrease if something adaptive related to performance is reset. Then ya got to start building it back up again.
Appreciate 0