E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > STETT Performance Stage 2 Oil Cooler Kit w/ 180F Thermostat **EXTENSIVE REVIEW/DIY**

12-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #111
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: FAST

Hey guys/gals.. we have launched a group buy for the oil coolers both with the thermostat options and without

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...45#post8457545
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #112
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Just a quick response to Aridk's post... you can absolutely increase the effectiveness of the kit with a larger air opening, ie. removing fog lights. On most bumpers, removing the fog lights doubles the size of the opening
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #113
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aridk View Post
Another extensive and perfect illustrated DIY from Fb again
I realy injoy reading your reviews and they have been great help for me, thank you keep it up
I have a request would it be possible to post direct links to all your DIY/reviews at the buttom of your post where people normaly have all their mod listed, would great.

I´ve been considering mounting an extra oilcooler myself but seeing the size of that core one should do.

Just a thought have you looked into Marcal B thread about foglights delets he installed the ducts from the 335is, I now you have the standart bumper where as he has the m-kit I think it could be able to fit with a bit of trimming getting more of the core exposed to air should help it perform even better.
With your knowhow and expertise you could proberbly find a good looking mesh grill to cover the hole.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=ducts
Aridk, I really appreciate the kind words. These reviews do take a lot of time and it is nice when people appreciate them so much. I am not sure there is enough signature space for all my reviews? I think I may have topped about 30-40 at this point. Does anyone know how many characters you can put in a sig?

I am not sure the foglight delete is needed at this point since my oil temps appear to be well in check. If they do get too high in the summer, then I will absolutely consider that option. STETT suggests that if you want more cooling, but I feel right now I am very pleased with the results.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #114
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Aridk, I really appreciate the kind words. These reviews do take a lot of time and it is nice when people appreciate them so much. I am not sure there is enough signature space for all my reviews? I think I may have topped about 30-40 at this point. Does anyone know how many characters you can put in a sig?

I am not sure the foglight delete is needed at this point since my oil temps appear to be well in check. If they do get too high in the summer, then I will absolutely consider that option. STETT suggests that if you want more cooling, but I feel right now I am very pleased with the results.
Fog light delete is definitely not necessary, just an option for those who want even more air to the cooler. This was with our Stage 2 (no thermostat) and foglight still in place after 20 minutes of stop and go traffic coupled with some frequent spirited driving

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #115
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

this by far the best oil cooler kit that I have seen, I saw the dinan oil cooler in person on and off the car and this kit is a lot better. Plus the fact the you can get a lower temp thermostat is the thing. Can you buy this kit as of now. I want one.

One more question, if you decide to opt out on the thermostat does the kit run with out a thermostat (so the system has no thermostat) cause I like that I idea here in Cali we never see freezing temp so I would not need one.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #116
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Who cares if he gets this stuff for free, gets paid for it or gets it discounted... The point is its a great review, I'd assume he wouldn't review a product from a company that didn't put out a good product. With the money and effort Former puts into his vehicle I seriously doubt he'd stack parts on his car if he honestly didn't feel the parts were quality. Risking your car over a couple free or discounted parts? Not a chance. I hope not. As an ex owner of thier V1 CAI I can say I had a couple remarks or suggestions for their part, however can say I was satisfied overall as well. Thanks for the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 05:36 AM   #117
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
this by far the best oil cooler kit that I have seen, I saw the dinan oil cooler in person on and off the car and this kit is a lot better. Plus the fact the you can get a lower temp thermostat is the thing. Can you buy this kit as of now. I want one.

One more question, if you decide to opt out on the thermostat does the kit run with out a thermostat (so the system has no thermostat) cause I like that I idea here in Cali we never see freezing temp so I would not need one.
tlrid3r, I am with you... I cannot imagine there is a better or higher quality kit on the market. STETT really did their homework on the oil cooler and their final product really shows.

How cold do your temps ever go?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #118
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the compliments

YES you can get the kit, in fact we have a group buy going over here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=1#post8533686

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #119
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
tlrid3r, I am with you... I cannot imagine there is a better or higher quality kit on the market. STETT really did their homework on the oil cooler and their final product really shows.

How cold do your temps ever go?
Hey thanks for the response. The coolest I have ever seen around here was 38F.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #120
roamer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Can the factory thermostat be removed from the housing? If so, you could then install an in-line thermostat by splicing it into the factory lines.
http://www.proracestore.com/index.ph...sourceid=GPPRS

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #121
roamer
Private
Rep

. . . or simply see if you can get a different thermostat that fits into the factory housing?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #122
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hey thanks for the response. The coolest I have ever seen around here was 38F.
tlrid3r, 38F is still pretty chilly. I personally think that road cars should still go with the 180F thermostat, but that is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #123
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

thanks

Quote:
tlrid3r, 38F is still pretty chilly. I personally think that road cars should still go with the 180F thermostat, but that is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #124
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Neither guys.. that's why we have an entire kit. Manufacturing a replacement OEM thermostat is so costly that it is prohibitive, plus you would then still have the less efficient factory cooler and nowhere near the quality of other components (ie hoses and fittings)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Can the factory thermostat be removed from the housing? If so, you could then install an in-line thermostat by splicing it into the factory lines.
http://www.proracestore.com/index.ph...sourceid=GPPRS

Thoughts?
Quote:
. . . or simply see if you can get a different thermostat that fits into the factory housing?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #125
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

Do you need to have a factory oilcooler for this kit???
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #126
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Negative! Our kits do NOT require you to purchase the entire BMW retrofit kit (this will save you hundreds of dollars). You ONLY need the appropriate oil filter housing which we have available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth-twntrbo View Post
Do you need to have a factory oilcooler for this kit???
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #127
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks to a much larger participant turn out, the group buy pricing just dropped!

For those who have not jumped on the group buy do so now! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462868
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #128
roamer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STETT Performance View Post
Neither guys.. that's why we have an entire kit. Manufacturing a replacement OEM thermostat is so costly that it is prohibitive, plus you would then still have the less efficient factory cooler and nowhere near the quality of other components (ie hoses and fittings)
Sorry, I just don't buy it. The factory thermostat acts as a control valve. If you remove the control, the oil should flow freely. There is also no reason why you can't splice an aftermarket thermostat into the factory lines. While I appreciate the engineering behind your product, there are many of us here who don't need the extra cooling and simply altering when oil hits the factory cooler may serve their purposes.

As for attacking the quality of the BMW factory components, c'mon. They may not have properly anticipated the cooling needs of the car, but there is nothing in the factory system that is of poor quality.

Last edited by roamer; 12-22-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #129
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As for attacking the quality of the BMW factory components, c'mon. They may not have properly anticipated the cooling needs of the car, but there is nothing in the factory system that is of poor quality.
roamer, while I appreciate you opinion, I couldn't disagree with it more. BMW has a ton of horribly designed parts on this car. It is almost comical how bad the stock intercooler is n the N54. It is the worst performing intercooler I have ever tested. The HPFP is an absolute piece of garbage. The injectors fail all the time. The VANOS solenoids chronically fail. BMW did a lot right with this car, but they did a lot wrong too.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #130
roamer
Private
Rep

Quote:
roamer, while I appreciate you opinion, I couldn't disagree with it more. BMW has a ton of horribly designed parts on this car. It is almost comical how bad the stock intercooler is n the N54. It is the worst performing intercooler I have ever tested. The HPFP is an absolute piece of garbage. The injectors fail all the time. The VANOS solenoids chronically fail. BMW did a lot right with this car, but they did a lot wrong too.
I was just referring to the quality of the hoses and componentry in the oil cooling system. I agree with you on the other items.

The STETT product is really nice, I just think they are missing out on the large majority of us who could solve their oil temp problem with a simpler and more cost-effective solution. If you track your car in high temps, I think you have to go with the larger cooler option. But, if you don't, a thermostat-only option would work great. Quite frankly, STETT's own product lineup has all the parts. Take the thermostat delete, add the aftermarket exterior thermostat, clip the factory ends off the oil lines and viola. This could probably be sold at ~$200 and still give these guys a nice margin. Then, if you find that this is not enough, spend the extra dough on the larger cooler.

I am not entirely confident of what will happen if you pull out the thermostat from the factory housing which is the reason why I have not simply fabricated something myself. That's also why I would not mind paying for someone's engineering . . .
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #131
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep

roamer,

Opinions are always welcomed. We are not "attacking" the quality of BMW's factory components. There are, however, numerous areas in which BMW slacked in many people's eyes. It happens with more manufacturers than just BMW. This is one of the big reasons there is an aftermarket industry.

Now, simply splicing a thermostat into the factory lines is not as simple as you might think. First off, what are you going to do with the factory thermostat? Secondly, the non-standard design of the factory lines aren't compatible with commonly available parts. Thirdly, just because you allow flow to the factory cooler sooner doesn't mean you're going to drop the operating temperatures to an ideal range whether you're pushing the car or just cruising around town. The thermostat option we have is only needed in cooler climates where you need help getting the oil to operating temp due to ambient temperatures, it does not reduce the operating temperature of the oil. Once the oil is to operating temperature the thermostat becomes useless. The achievements we have made with our kits are based on the kit as a whole.

There are engineering and performance reasons we have an entire kit. If you or anyone else want to try hacking something together on your BMW then by all means you are entitled to do so. There's no one product out there that is for everyone including ours. If you feel you do not need it then you don't have to purchase it

Quote:
Sorry, I just don't buy it. The factory thermostat acts as a control valve. If you remove the control, the oil should flow freely. There is also no reason why you can't splice an aftermarket thermostat into the factory lines. While I appreciate the engineering behind your product, there are many of us here who don't need the extra cooling and simply altering when oil hits the factory cooler may serve their purposes.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #132
STETT Performance
Banned
United_States
Rep

No disrespect at ALL but $200 wouldn't even come close to covering the cost of all the parts you've spoken of. The parts we have in our lineup will NOT attach to the rest of your factory components.

Quote:
I was just referring to the quality of the hoses and componentry in the oil cooling system. I agree with you on the other items.

The STETT product is really nice, I just think they are missing out on the large majority of us who could solve their oil temp problem with a simpler and more cost-effective solution. If you track your car in high temps, I think you have to go with the larger cooler option. But, if you don't, a thermostat-only option would work great. Quite frankly, STETT's own product lineup has all the parts. Take the thermostat delete, add the aftermarket exterior thermostat, clip the factory ends off the oil lines and viola. This could probably be sold at ~$200 and still give these guys a nice margin. Then, if you find that this is not enough, spend the extra dough on the larger cooler.

I am not entirely confident of what will happen if you pull out the thermostat from the factory housing which is the reason why I have not simply fabricated something myself. That's also why I would not mind paying for someone's engineering . . .
Appreciate 0