E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > So apparently Tischer/BMW Silver Spring isn't so mod friendly after all

01-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

So apparently Tischer/BMW Silver Spring isn't so mod friendly after all

I took my car in there for some repair work. I had a foglight out and an emergency brake light out where I replaced both bulbs with brand new bulbs and they both still wouldn't come on again. So, I took my car to Tischer to get it diagnosed and have them fix it. I am well modded, but also well out of warranty (111k miles+), so I didn't think there was any issue as I wasn't asking for them to pay for anything. I was prepared to pay for the repair. Tischer gets the car Monday 1/7... they are diagnosing, diagnosing... We were in communication every day until Wednesday. Thursday, I call them, can't get through to my SA as "he is busy with something." Friday, I get a call at maybe 2 pm. "You're car is ready for pick up." Great, I think! "But, it's not repaired. My "Shop foreman Doug" said we can't work on the car because it's modded." They said they can't get the computer to talk to the car. I tell him that this hasn't been an issue in the past, but I can turn off the JB4 and you can try again. He says that his foreman doesn't want to touch the car because they are afraid they will break something and they will be liable, end of story. I'm thinking, then why are they working on any cars if they are afraid they will break something????

This is weird to me because the car has been in there plenty before and there have been no issues, especially considering the car was in for a software update at some point (while in it's current state of mods). Anyways, SA was nice enough to let me know what he thinks is wrong with the car (FRM-2 failure).

$400 and a week later, of course I'm frustrated, but now that I've had a couple of days to cool off, I've realized it's probably for the best. I need to make use of my networks for all the car stuff or just do it myself and should not be in the dealership at all anymore with this car. When I got off the phone with the SA on Friday, I googled FRM-2, and of course a bunch of threads about it show up on e90post. So, that is also a reminder for me to always check here first (as I've done in the past). For some reason I just brain farted on this one and didn't check here.

Moral: Even if you're out of warranty, dealers don't like modded cars.... and use all resources before you go to the dealer.

Anyways, I can get the part. Is there anyone local that can do the coding for me? Send me a PM. If you have a hook up on the part as well, let me know and we can work something out. Lastly, should I just go ahead and upgrade to FRM-3 now? I don't intend on getting any LCI parts, but the FRM-3 seems to have more capabilities, etc.
      01-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

If you can't find anyone, take your car to Sigy's.

http://www.sigysbmw.com/about.html
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Who was the SA and tech?

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

I think it's not that they don't want to but they can't ..... Those bmw tools are quite strict during the inspection phase when hooking the car to the tools.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Clem
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/FR ESS VT2

Charles, did you lose my number? The moment you ran into trouble there you should have called.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto
Who was the SA and tech?
SA was Thomas and Tech was Ming.
      01-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Bean_Bun
I think it's not that they don't want to but they can't ..... Those bmw tools are quite strict during the inspection phase when hooking the car to the tools.
I don't think that's the problem. They have done software updates and other recalls/coding to the car in the past, so I'm not sure what was up.
      01-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem
Charles, did you lose my number? The moment you ran into trouble there you should have called.
Haha, I guess I wasn't thinking. I also need a clutch/flywheel installed, so I'll send you a PM!
      01-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Fact - Tischer sucks...
      01-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
zeel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i

Garage List
Fact - Adam is the man.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
cityazndan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [7.34]
Fact: ^ Fact.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

Let's make this point clear: there's NO such thing as a 'mod-friendly' dealership.

There maybe a few SAs/techs that will look the other way regarding mods, but most won't. My suggestion is to be as friendly as possible with your SA because if you ever need him/her on your side when dealing with BMWNA, they may go to bat for you.

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0