E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Navigation Retrofit!

04-23-2008, 03:43 AM   #67
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Can bus can be joined anywhere.

Can the CCC be programmed for any country??

To make you feel better my nav gives me audio as soon as a I plug it in, I have not however checked the phone, I guess if it came from a car with phone hooked up I will be alright, if it didn't then it will need to be coded to work.

Would it not be better/easier to buy a CCC from the states that has is already coded for north america? Or are there none around??
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 04:21 AM   #68
steaman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i3S - 2019 X3 3.0d F25 - 2011

The Radio (CCC) is configured differently in different parts of the world. You need to configure the CCC to get the radio to work correctly.
Read this thread, I think you have a similar problem:

http://_immer_oard.net/forums/posts/343861

(I don't know if itīs allowed to link to another forum)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #69
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I you for the work and R&D that you have done so far. Hope you'll be able to accomplish what you have set out to do.

From what I've read/seen so far, you're on the right track.

GL and subscribed.

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #70
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 335xi

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Impressive.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #71
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Question

Researching this antenna thing has been frustrating. The shark fin has outputs that all seem to go to the TCU in the trunk for the BMW assist. Thats it. Even the blue output goes into the module.

Looking at the WDS indicates that connector x13393 (the blue GPS antenna lead/ariel) is not used on the TCU when navigation is installed. Oddly enough, DSC (stability control) is also plugged into the TCU, except when Navigation is installed. Have any ideas on this?

I'm thinking then of just unplugging gps antenna from TCU and running extension lead to CCC. But then how does bmw assist get its location - from the navigation system? Hmmm....this doesn't seem right.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #72
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

Is it possible that the TCU gets the GPS data (which I am assuming is connected to the bus) from the nav over the bus? It kinda makes sense that they would do something like that to keep costs down.

Where does DSC plug in if there is navigation?
      04-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #73
steaman
Enlisted Member
Rep

I second Desis conclusion. With Navi the GPS antenna and the DSC connection is removed from the TCU, but no connection between the CCC and TCU is added. Positioning data must be retrieved from the CCC on the bus.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #74
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
I do still have it all apart. I'll take a closer look at the CD player/DVD player in the morning. I guess I'd have to ask why someone would want to swap the CD player for a DVD player...for more songs on an MP3 DVD-ROM? I seriously doubt its on any kind of IDE/SATA standard, but I'll look closer in the morning...
Yes, for 10x more songs.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #75
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by steaman View Post
What do you base your statement on? Until you convinced me on the opposite I am convinced that there is the same HW and SW but different parameter settings.
just info a master tech and my SA and CA told me when i asked if the idrive could be retro fitted even though i had it on order at the time!!! this was about a year ago so unless bmw changed something or the mastertech and my CA and SA were wrong it is different!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #76
steaman
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have absolutely no confidence in statements on retrofit made by BMW rep's
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #77
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Is it possible that the TCU gets the GPS data (which I am assuming is connected to the bus) from the nav over the bus? It kinda makes sense that they would do something like that to keep costs down.

Where does DSC plug in if there is navigation?
That's how the E46 Nav and TCU communicated to each other even using the OEM Nav Retrofit; no Nav antenna was required for the TCU if the OEM Nav was present as the TCU was suddenly a "slave" of the Nav system. For this to work the E46 must had to be coded to add the new OEM Nav to the car feature list.

I bet that in the E9x this OEM Nav/TCU GPS relationship is exactly the same, so programming to recognize the new OEM Nav and for the TCU to be its "slave" must be required..

As for the problems of audio and channel spacing/AM tuning, there are two issues here: the CCC is coded for non-USA and the audio is digital over MOST to the Logic7 amp. This also could mean that the CCC, in addition to be coded for USA it must be coded for Logic7 as it could be coded as well for analog outputs (HiFi), so no digital outputs are even available.

Last edited by Technic; 04-24-2008 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #78
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
just info a master tech and my SA and CA told me when i asked if the idrive could be retro fitted even though i had it on order at the time!!! this was about a year ago so unless bmw changed something or the mastertech and my CA and SA were wrong it is different!!!
Well, pretty much EVERYONE will tell you that this is an impossible task - likely cause no one wants to do it and/or knows what is involved to it - not that BMW is any help on this. Ironically, when I was calling around for parts, the local salvage yard quoted me $9,000 - - YES, $9,000.00 for the parts to do the retrofit (they tried to say it included all the harnesses, etc...) You can guess my response.

It seems that the e90 system is built similarly to the e60 system, and now Technic is saying e46 also.. this would make sense. I'm pretty positive that all of this is going to require coding and programming to make any of it work. My CCC as it was didn't recognize any telephonic functions, even though I have the whole BMW assist/bluetooth factory installed.

I've searched high and low for "fakra" coaxial cables...thats the special type of clip-on connector on all of the antennas and back of CCC. I know I need a female end for the back of the CCC, but I'll have to go look again and see whats hooked to the TCU - I imagine I'll just need an extension to hook in the from antenna line plugged into the TCU to head up to the back of the CCC. I'm thinking this can be done either though the center console hump or via the driver's side rocker panel.
Does anyone know how to read that page on realoem.com or on:
http://bmwfans.info/original/E90/Lim...5/ill-65_1534/
regarding antenna/ariel cables? I can figure out the length thing, but are they all fakra cables with the various ends shown? This is by far the cheapest way to get a cable, assuming I can find the right one. On the other hand, for $20, there is a fakra GPS antenna (Terk, I think) that will plug right in. Ideally, I want to use the sharkfin just like OEM.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #79
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I would just buy a normal sirfIII antenna with a mini smb plug on it and it will plug straight in, it will also get full signal from through the dash.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #80
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Would you do me a favour and see what happens when you hook it up but without the optical cables in the harness??

I am trying to figure out what the optical sends the unit? I know it speakes to the amp, cd changer, ipod and bluetooth, but speed pulse and everything else needed for the nav is over can bus.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #81
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Well, pretty much EVERYONE will tell you that this is an impossible task - likely cause no one wants to do it and/or knows what is involved to it - not that BMW is any help on this. Ironically, when I was calling around for parts, the local salvage yard quoted me $9,000 - - YES, $9,000.00 for the parts to do the retrofit (they tried to say it included all the harnesses, etc...) You can guess my response.

It seems that the e90 system is built similarly to the e60 system, and now Technic is saying e46 also.. this would make sense. I'm pretty positive that all of this is going to require coding and programming to make any of it work. My CCC as it was didn't recognize any telephonic functions, even though I have the whole BMW assist/bluetooth factory installed.

I've searched high and low for "fakra" coaxial cables...thats the special type of clip-on connector on all of the antennas and back of CCC. I know I need a female end for the back of the CCC, but I'll have to go look again and see whats hooked to the TCU - I imagine I'll just need an extension to hook in the from antenna line plugged into the TCU to head up to the back of the CCC. I'm thinking this can be done either though the center console hump or via the driver's side rocker panel.
Does anyone know how to read that page on realoem.com or on:
http://bmwfans.info/original/E90/Lim...5/ill-65_1534/
regarding antenna/ariel cables? I can figure out the length thing, but are they all fakra cables with the various ends shown? This is by far the cheapest way to get a cable, assuming I can find the right one. On the other hand, for $20, there is a fakra GPS antenna (Terk, I think) that will plug right in. Ideally, I want to use the sharkfin just like OEM.
Read this to get the FAKRA that you need: http://vwnavi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7561

You are too close to do this (although I would have bought the complete OEM Harness for iDrive if I were you and just replaced your current harness, old E46-style of Nav Retrofit) so I would advice you to find one very friendly dealer service advisor or even one of the techs and spend one whole afternoon in the shop with all the tech books and the computer. Installation is nothing compared to programming these MOST gates and there's a lot of programming to be done -hey, it is even adding a damn OEM alarm system and sometimes the tech can't even program that sucker into the system for shit- for all the system devices to be talking to each other.

So get all the main physical connections done and just try to get some computer time on your time, unless you find somebody that really want to help you and know what have to be done.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #82
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

But remember, the Fakra plugs are put on so you can't put the wrong plug on the wrong connector, you can however add the smb cable to the fakra socket if there is no fakra connector on the end of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #83
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Would you do me a favour and see what happens when you hook it up but without the optical cables in the harness??

I am trying to figure out what the optical sends the unit? I know it speakes to the amp, cd changer, ipod and bluetooth, but speed pulse and everything else needed for the nav is over can bus.
Unfortunately, I put my car all back together on Wednesday...it was undrivable it being all apart, so my testing has stopped [for now.] I think you are right though - the MOST carries all of the media data to all the modules. From my reading, the K-Can carries speed pulse, reverse, CID data, i-drive controller data. Supposedly the JBE is a link between the F-Can & PT-Can bus which carries the steering wheel buttons and DSC data to the K-Can bus. Holy cow..the engineering!

That really was the most data I have ever seen on the Fakra connectors! hah! Who knew? I've been super busy at work, so I haven't even looked to figure out which ends I need and approximate a length of cable I need. I may buy the $10-15 antenna to get the system going until I figure out exactly what I need for the proper retrofit.

I am gonna have to buddy-up with a service advisor and/or shop foreman and walk thru this programming process. I dread paying two hours of labor for them to be scratching their heads on this cluster-mess. However, I don't think changing the harness is really necessary (at this point.) Like I said before, the only modifications I see is to create the 4-pin connector for the i-drive controller, the 3-pin connector for the CCC fan, and the gps antenna cable...hardly worth installing (much less purchasing) an entire audio system harness. Yikes..that thing goes through the whole car too..

I ordered a salvage dash yesterday that I will pickup next week. I'm hoping its as pristine as the dash I have in the car now or I will reject it....at $350, the price was right.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #84
steaman
Enlisted Member
Rep

The retrofit set, upgrading from Business Navi to Professional Navi has some of these parts, It might be possible to buy parts of the set as single items instead of making your own harness?

Retrofit kit navigation professional
Part number: 65 90 0 415 350 Set

http://bmwfans.info/part-65900415350/
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #85
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

The i-drive controller will take a cd audio connector, the one that hooks up a cd rom to the sound card, it is a perfect fit. I would then use hard drive/cd rom power cables as plug as play cables.
All have 4 wires and they slot together nicely, plus you have 1 into 2 adapters readily available.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #86
hkkuf
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 Monaco Grey Step

Facsinating thread.

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but you might be able to get some parts off this listing on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

I mean it looks like sh1t but some of the wire connectors and other smaller components may have survived the crash. The car definitely had an iDrive.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 02:59 AM   #87
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well...my double-scoop dashboard has been delayed. I guess the salvage guys didn't realize that if the passenger airbag is deployed, it destroys the dash. I'm on "hold" until I get a (perfect) dash in my hands. When I get the dash, I'm planning on starting the swap. I will take pictures and notes along the way. Once swapped, I will have to make this thing work - I will be fully committed.

My concerns at this point:

a) Coding - hopefully coding will pull all the loose ends together, including audio output, telephone interface, country coding. Hopefully one of my "smart" BMW friends (here or at the stealership) can confirm this!

b) I still need to locate a "aluminum" center console bezel - it appears that the idrive controller mounts to the bottom of it (but I'm not positive, as I don't have one), but it looks as if the the controller does not mount to the car as I once thought...it mounts to the trim.

c) Antenna cable / routing. I got some great ideas from the previous posts, but have been super busy so have not yet addressed this issue with the cable itself and issue with the TCU.

d) Steering wheel - anyone pull one off on these cars to upgrade to the M-Sport??? Do I need a puller or does the steering wheel pop off?

e) The unknowns. I'm gonna be super pissed if I get this all apart and realize that I cannot put my car together due to some minor nonsense or am going to have to pull the dash again for something dumb. I hope I don't need some special tool that will delay me for hours..

Also, I wonder if I can "sneak" the dash out without pulling out the A-Pillar airbag curtains...its sure looks like they don't interfere, but the manual I read said to pull them out. We'll see....

Any other concerns I should have ??? (LOL)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 03:08 AM   #88
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

a) Yeah any radio has to be coded to tell it where you are and what it is going into and what is going into it.

b) Yeah, the controller is heldonto the under side of the trim with 4 hex bolts.

c) Still think you're mad not to use a better/faster SirfIII antenna tucked just behind the screen under the dash.

d) Just pops off.

e) I don't see why you need to pull the curtains, unless you have to lift the back of the dash up and out.

How much is a salvage guy charging you for the dash?? It is only around $350 new from BMW.
Appreciate 0