E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

10-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #947
oldnail
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotty View Post
Well they have had a look at it and it now needs another full set of coils etc, as a good will getsure I need to stump up the first £200.
I'm afraid I lost my cool slightly as in effect they are replacing the one that got "replaced" in April !.
I am being told that BMW now insist on all 4 being replaced with updated Bosch coils which has only just been decided.
So I am stuffed I have to pay for a car that is 10 weeks out of warranty, when I calmed down I was told that it couldn't be FOC as it would upset all those people wise enough to take out extended warranty.
I left my 318i into the dealer on Monday after experiencing some misfires and chugging (although no engine management lights). Got it back yesterday and the dealer had changed 4 coils, 4 plugs, one injector and completed an engine management system software upgrade. Luckily it was under warranty (the warranty is up in December). Haven't experienced any misfires since I picked up which is good, but I am concerned about what will happen 6 months/1 year etc. down the line should something go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #948
burgemaster
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Does anyone have a part number for the new "Bosch" coils?

12 13 7 594 937 <-- I guess this is the BMW part number and does not reference whether it is the "New" type?

Also can these coils litterally be unplugged and swapped out? Nothing else needs maybe "resetting" in the ECU does it?
For £26 each or £104 for a set this surely must be the first step for an out of warranty 320i with juddering?

Thanks

Last edited by burgemaster; 10-27-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #949
alistairgd
Rep
Drives: E90 318 ES Edition Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
Does anyone have a part number for the new "Bosch" coils?

12 13 7 594 937 <-- I guess this is the BMW part number and does not reference whether it is the "New" type?

Also can these coils litterally be unplugged and swapped out? Nothing else needs maybe "resetting" in the ECU does it?
For £26 each or £104 for a set this surely must be the first step for an out of warranty 320i with juddering?

Thanks
I am about to request a printout of my first 3 years service history, so I'll post up those part numbers for you soon.

Bad news is, you will still need a computer reset because it is likely fuel will have been cut from the affected cylinder.
      10-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #950
burgemaster
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairgd View Post
I am about to request a printout of my first 3 years service history, so I'll post up those part numbers for you soon.

Bad news is, you will still need a computer reset because it is likely fuel will have been cut from the affected cylinder.
thanks for this...
My Engine Man light went back out and it back to 4 cylinders?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #951
SmallWave
Rep
Drives: 09' E90 LCI

Just out of warranty my car got Engine light on, shuddering and loss of power.
Turned out the coil of cylinder 3 went wrong, got replaced and now car runs fine.
Also fuel consumption (BC display) is back to normal under 8l/100km
(prior to incident about 9l/100km in same conditions).
BMW was not willing to replace all coils :-(, but agreed to pay for the part/man-hour.
For info, 320i of 2009 July. Incident occurred after merely 2 years and 2 months
and at 25000km.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #952
burgemaster
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok,
Ive just purchased 4 x new coils for my 2007 320i....
P/N 12 13 7 594 935

I went to follow the DIY guide on here and my engine is completely different!
I have this engine:

Can anyone please see a guide for the coil (or plug) removal ????
Or maybe explain what I need to do on this engine.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by burgemaster; 10-28-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #953
burgemaster
United Kingdom
Rep

I carried on and managed to change them all myself... They don't make it easy.

I will write a guide later...
It turned out that the coil I was having trouble with was made in Jan 2007 and a different colour to the new coils (this one was dark black, new ones are grey), all the other coils were the same colour as my new coils and were dated around 2010 so I just changed one and we are back on the road !!!!!
The other 3 will be returned to BMW asap for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #954
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Well 2 weeks on and the car is totally different and a dream to drive, they changed all. coils, plugs and packs software update etc. my car is 3 months out of warranty and it has cost me £220 as my contribution. Miffed me off this wasn't detected fully sooner but I am told that BMW have only recently sent out the updated and supposed new coil packs.

My advice is to get it done ASAP you will not believe the difference
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #955
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 33I M-Sport Dec'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotty View Post
Well 2 weeks on and the car is totally different and a dream to drive, they changed all. coils, plugs and packs software update etc. my car is 3 months out of warranty and it has cost me £220 as my contribution. Miffed me off this wasn't detected fully sooner but I am told that BMW have only recently sent out the updated and supposed new coil packs.

My advice is to get it done ASAP you will not believe the difference
Ditto. My car was so much better once the coils, plugs etc were changed. Its been perfect for the last year without a glitch
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #956
burgemaster
United Kingdom
Rep

According to the dealer tech i spoke to, these coild have been out for around 3+months. They have replaced a part to copper?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #957
nik_uk
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Latest addition and update

hello all - My good lady own a 05 320i (56k) Auto - and to be honest sounds like a cheap far eastern diesel without sound deadening -

So please welcome me and what is the latest with the united front?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #958
johnfm
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
I carried on and managed to change them all myself... They don't make it easy.

I will write a guide later...
It turned out that the coil I was having trouble with was made in Jan 2007 and a different colour to the new coils (this one was dark black, new ones are grey), all the other coils were the same colour as my new coils and were dated around 2010 so I just changed one and we are back on the road !!!!!
The other 3 will be returned to BMW asap for a refund.

When you checked your coil, was it working fine at idle?

I just did a quick test unplugging a coil, one at a time.

Each time I unplugged a coil, the engine idle went lumpy - so at idle the coils are working.

Is the 'bad coil' issue while running under load?

Should I replace all 4 of the coils anyway? Its 'only' £110.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #959
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 2009, 320i

I have just had a temporary (one and a half days on and then off) "yellow engine light warning" and the dealer asked me to leave the car for diagnostic check. He now tells me that my Oxygen sensor is faulty and the CO2 values are too high. He hopes that the BMW will repair those under the exhaust value malfunction gaurantee. I wonder what that means in terms of the extent of fault and cost. The car is only two and a half years old and has done only 30,000 Km. Is BMW quality that bad? I have owned Toyotas before and have had no problem for years and years with their cars! My car is a BMW E91 320i from 2009.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #960
atariboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 33I M-Sport Dec'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj55 View Post
I have just had a temporary (one and a half days on and then off) "yellow engine light warning" and the dealer asked me to leave the car for diagnostic check. He now tells me that my Oxygen sensor is faulty and the CO2 values are too high. He hopes that the BMW will repair those under the exhaust value malfunction gaurantee. I wonder what that means in terms of the extent of fault and cost. The car is only two and a half years old and has done only 30,000 Km. Is BMW quality that bad? I have owned Toyotas before and have had no problem for years and years with their cars! My car is a BMW E91 320i from 2009.
I had the same fault when my car was 18 months old. My dealer covered it under the warranty
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #961
raj55
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 2009, 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atariboy View Post
I had the same fault when my car was 18 months old. My dealer covered it under the warranty

Just got the car back today. They said that they changed the lambda sensor, Nitrogen sensor and erased the warning and test drove the car to check that all was well. The best of all, NO CHARGE! All covered under the exhaust guarantee.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #962
dude87
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

Hi guys,

I really wished i had read this thread before i brought my 2008 320i coupe just less than 1 month ago.

After 1 week of obtaining the Engine Management Light came on, I immediately had it checked (not by BMW), the following problems were picked up:

1. intake air temp sensor
2. throttle sensor
3. O2 sensor - 2 banks faulty

Currently the car is doing 28mpg, and there is a rev drop at around 2000, its intermittent however annoying nonetheless.

After going through the thread it seems like this could be a coil problem or/and the above listed problems.

i knew i should have got a 325 fml....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #963
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport F20

@dude87

I'm afraid this is how the nightmare starts, oxygen sensor / exhaust issues followed by juddering and misfire and no power then eventually the cylinders go down and if your as unlucky as me, you get it all fixed and then it still judders. 320i = SH*T

1 month, try and reject the car m8, I tried after 4 months and got nowhere so traded the car and I'm now stuck with the finance for 4 more years!!!!!!

I will never, ever buy a BMW petrol again

6 months on and I'm still bitter about it!!! Thankfully I was rescued by a Mini Cooper called Jenson which turned out to be the best car I've owned

Last edited by Mattstorm; 12-07-2011 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #964
dude87
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

@Mattstorm

Thank you for your quick response.

I'm going to try and get everything fixed under the warranty that I have, I'm still in denial about the whole situation and I really hope the problem ends with what has been diagnosed, really HOPE.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #965
maggierev
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i convertible

DUDE87
I had 320i and 2 coils went replaced for free. my car is 2007 petrol engine.
a 3rd coil went in october and I had enough. They said they had already paid for my previous coils and wouldnt pay as a year over warranty. I refused to pay and said I would lay down with a placard in front of the showroom.
they changed my 4 coils to what they said were new ones and that i wouldnt be back and didnt charge me anything. i did have to leave the car in the garage for 4 days though. as i wouldnt pay. so perservere.
needless to say i couldnt go through the stress again so changed the car
so have no idea if it has solved the problem but others here with the new coils seem to indicate it does solve the issues. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #966
Ed90
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i 2009

Hi guys

I would appreciate it if someone could shred some light on my situation

I have a 320i E90 2009 model. I bought it 2 weeks ago. I have long cranks in the morning when the car is off for long period of time. Its still under warranty so last sunday i decided to call bmw assist and they came out and done a diagnostics and said its one of the crank sensors gone and i they took it to bmw dealer as a emergency breakdown. They kept the car for 2 days in which they replaced the sensor and intake tube that they said it was taking in air which it shouldnt have.

Anyways before the car went in for warranty repair I had the following symptoms :

- long cranks when you turn on the engine
- no power for a 170hp
- car hesitating
- idle problems, when i came to a hault it feels like the car is about to switch off as the rpm drop to about 500 then they go back up.

I explained all these problems to the dealer and after 2 days i got the car back, they stated it was all fixed and the re test was fine. I drove out of Bmw enfield and i could the feel the power was there and didnt notice nothing that i had noticed before.

Now today just after 24 hours that i got my car back i tried to turn car on and theres still a long crank there and the idle problem is still there.

I have spoke to bmw assist and they are coming out tomorrow morning first thing and they are taking the car in again.

I would just like to know if anyone could tell me what the problem could be?

I would be grateful

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #967
Mattstorm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport F20

@ Ed90

Well, long cranks for me meant bad oxygen sensor caused by excess fuel going through the car systems I think which damaged the sensor that then locked the car in its homogenous settings hiding the real issue which was the N43 coil issue. I bought the car end of January, within the first month had it back to supplying dealership due to long cranks, it ended up at BMW who changed the o2 sensor. Car then started to utilise the leaner settings "stratespheric" or something and these are the settings where the misfiring happens. I got my first misfire 10 seconds after leaving BMW with my new O2 Sensor. Thankfully I had purchased the BMW warranty within a couple of days of buying the car as it went back due to the misfire. I was told the CAT was blocked so I did a regen down the motorway. It was still misfiring so it went back, misfires had been recorded but we didn't know over what time period, so I drove away with a "reset system" still misfiring, few days later went back to BMW, confirmed misfiring over x miles so 2 cylinders done with coils etc... straight after this I then get a clutch judder on pickup, probably linked to the new coils / software, ignored this at first as I broke down and limped back to BMW, had the remaining 2 cylinders done and drove away. Then carried on suffering the clutch judder but no misfiring, went back to BMW and thay quoted me £400+ to investigate the clucth with worst case it needing to be replaced and no warranty claim so about £1800. This was all within 4 months of buying the car. I thought, know way am I doing this, its not fair, all these problems are linked so I tried to reject the car back to the supplying dealership, I got know where so I traded the car at Mini for a Cherished Mini Cooper. Picked up BMW End of January and swapped into Mini mid June and it all started with long cranks and the initial thought was crank position sensor, oh do I wish it had been! My saga lasted 4 months and has ended up with me being in MASSIVE neg equity through no fault of my own.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #968
SmallWave
Rep
Drives: 09' E90 LCI

A look back at my 2009 320i with coil in 3rd cylinder replaced and now running fine;
I have noticed long before the engine light on and shuddering and power loss,
some early symptoms:
hesitating, full accelerating - instant fuel consumption needle not reaching the full 20L/100km position, above average fuel consumption,...
Next time if I've these symptoms, I know the coil issue will come.
Appreciate 0