E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next GEN I-DRIVE Retrofit

01-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #507
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronics GB View Post
On the rear camera, did you code the CIC(CCC) for reverse camera (ie when you go into reverse is the CIC looking for input on the pins)?
Or do you use a Can Bus signal (from your interface) to tell the CIC (CCC) that the camera is on?

Many thanks for info.

Mark
There's no need to code the CIC as this multimedia interface has two built in methods of reverse gear detection, CAN or 12V (reverse lights).

In my particular M3 (6sp, no PDC) there's no CAN reverse signal so I used the reverse light 12V thru a relay to trigger the camera view. Once triggered the interface simply takes over the display from the CIC. The CIC display is still active and can be set either as an adjustable picture-in-picture (shown in the photo above) or in the OEM split screen view.

For PDC cars the interface will get a CAN message from the car. The cameras/videos display can be turned on using the iDrive controller as well, no coding required either.

You can connect any RCA video device to this interface, including night vision cameras and it will work the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #508
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Nice write-up/photos Technic...gets me amped!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #509
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

CIC Retrofit Update E90/E92/E93

The new CID is now fitted, found original BMW plug so everything very factory.
New Controller is now installed (waiting for upper console to finish).
CIC is installed, USB lead installed into the Glove BOX.
Powered up to see how we stand, unit was as used kit so coding from last car looks like:

TV (not fitted in current car but adding as we speak) so the coding can stay.
L7 was activated (must have been in last car) so that needs to go, this would explain why we have no sound at present.

Gone into CIP and errors have presented themselves (this was expected), as the cars ID (vin number / year) would not expect a CIC so its having a wobble.
This would also be the issue if BMW wanted to generate enabling codes as the car is not expected to see the CIC (this problem needs to be addressed later).

So it all looks great, so the plan is to UPDATE software levels on the new CIC + CON + CID, and then CODE the CIC (+ any relevant modules) to tie it into the spec of the car (E92 M3) . The software guys are working on this now and we await some workaround (watch this *******.

In the meantime we can install new rear antenna booster to allow for the CICs internal DAB tuner & New TV module. Also need to replace roof antenna as this has the L-Band DAB aerial in it (other DAB aerial in rear screen).

Also need to reconfigure the USB/Aux plug, and whilst the cars apart plan wire run for rear camera (will run via tv module in boot).

Will update once software issues are resolved, so we can tidy up the coding/software levels.

So far so good.

http://www.cartronics.co.uk/index.cfm?cID=10890

Last edited by cartronics GB; 01-12-2010 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: pic
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #510
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Are you using Autologic for this?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #511
jreich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: montego blue 335 coupe MT

Quote:

Powered up to see how we stand, unit was as used kit so coding from last car looks like:

L7 was activated (must have been in last car) so that needs to go, this would explain why we have no sound at present.

Gone into CIP and errors have presented themselves (this was expected), as the cars ID (vin number / year) would not expect a CIC so its having a wobble.
This would also be the issue if BMW wanted to generate enabling codes as the car is not expected to see the CIC (this problem needs to be addressed later).

So it all looks great, so the plan is to UPDATE software levels on the new CIC + CON + CID, and then CODE the CIC (+ any relevant modules) to tie it into the spec of the car (E92 M3) . The software guys are working on this now and we await some workaround (watch this *******.

In the meantime we can install new rear antenna booster to allow for the CICs internal DAB tuner & New TV module. Also need to replace roof antenna as this has the L-Band DAB aerial in it (other DAB aerial in rear screen).

Also need to reconfigure the USB/Aux plug, and whilst the cars apart plan wire run for rear camera (will run via tv module in boot).

Will update once software issues are resolved, so we can tidy up the coding/software levels.

So far so good.

This is cool. Seems like if you find a complete system that has similar features as yours, you shouldnt need any coding...this was similar when I found a TCU module on ebay. I hooked everything up and it all worked without dealer coding...same with Sirius. Now if you need a sensor replaced or a software update the software tool wont do it because of the VO has changed and it doesnt like that. I had this conflict about a month ago when I had a sensor go bad that needed dealer programming. I had to buy the proper FZD for progman to update it...apparently progman isnt as picky as there new coding tool.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #512
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Are you using Autologic for this?
Indeed, they are on the job. I believe (could be yourself) a USA customer is awaiting a solution? Once its been tricked out should have some workaround..

I shall keep you updated.

Looks nice, sadly my donor car was L7 enabled so no sound but least this spurs me on to fix!

Found the part number if needed for the CID screen connector (8way).
Also a workable solution for the USB lead (TBC) if you need any info PM me.

Mark@cartronics.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #513
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
This is cool. Seems like if you find a complete system that has similar features as yours, you shouldnt need any coding...this was similar when I found a TCU module on ebay. I hooked everything up and it all worked without dealer coding...same with Sirius. Now if you need a sensor replaced or a software update the software tool wont do it because of the VO has changed and it doesnt like that. I had this conflict about a month ago when I had a sensor go bad that needed dealer programming. I had to buy the proper FZD for progman to update it...apparently progman isnt as picky as there new coding tool.
Correct if you found the perfect match all is good, but unlikely.

Its in the V/O as the CCC so thats not the issue, its the BMW database (now its server side) as the car is listed as not having CIC fitted at that year.

So a little coding is needed (working on this now).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #514
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Indeed, they are on the job. I believe (could be yourself) a USA customer is awaiting a solution? Once its been tricked out should have some workaround..

I shall keep you updated.

Looks nice, sadly my donor car was L7 enabled so no sound but least this spurs me on to fix!

Found the part number if needed for the CID screen connector (8way).
Also a workable solution for the USB lead (TBC) if you need any info PM me.

Mark@cartronics.co.uk
Yes, that's me...

Autologic will set your CIC to the correct analog output with the coding, so that's a non-issue. The issue is still getting the FSC codes from BMW or something custom to enable Nav and Voice Control.

You should post the P/N of the 1-row/8-pin connector and how to create the USB cable as nobody knows here how to get those yet, so that would help a lot those that want to do the retrofit as well. I was lucky enough to get them both with my used parts.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #515
whgmkeller
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 525D-A 2005 (E60)

Quote:

So far so good.

Wow, this is turning into a really exciting story....

Just wondering Mark (Cartronics), if you guys get this to work in a 3-seriers model, can it also be done in a 525D from june 2005? I have the Pro navigation with the DVD, the CCC and the split-screen monitor and I would love to have it upgraded to the new CIC-based system.

Willem (Netherlands)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #516
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

CIC retrofit E60/61/

Quote:
Originally Posted by whgmkeller View Post
Wow, this is turning into a really exciting story....

Just wondering Mark (Cartronics), if you guys get this to work in a 3-seriers model, can it also be done in a 525D from june 2005? I have the Pro navigation with the DVD, the CCC and the split-screen monitor and I would love to have it upgraded to the new CIC-based system.

Willem (Netherlands)
Hi Willem

If it works on the 3 series, then retrofitting the CIC on the E60 would be no different.

Again I will keep you updated, once its coded/updated we can move onto the codes.

mark

PS Willem just as a in between upgrade you can add the NEW controller on your old CCC - that alone is so much easier to use.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #517
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

CIC E90/92 retrofit started

Quote:
Yes, that's me...

Autologic will set your CIC to the correct analog output with the coding, so that's a non-issue. The issue is still getting the FSC codes from BMW or something custom to enable Nav and Voice Control.

You should post the P/N of the 1-row/8-pin connector and how to create the USB cable as nobody knows here how to get those yet, so that would help a lot those that want to do the retrofit as well. I was lucky enough to get them both with my used parts.

Thanks!
Will post the parts when done. The system CIC I have is enabled for Nav so the Voice control is the only enabling code needed (i think).

Is your CIC retrofit car >2007?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #518
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hi Willem

If it works on the 3 series, then retrofitting the CIC on the E60 would be no different.

Again I will keep you updated, once its coded/updated we can move onto the codes.

mark

PS Willem just as a in between upgrade you can add the NEW controller on your old CCC - that alone is so much easier to use.
The new iDrive controller will not work in his 2005 E60, it is only for the 2007 CCC-on (the CCC with the 6-programmable buttons) and latest software.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #519
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The new iDrive controller will not work in his 2005 E60, it is only for the 2007 CCC-on (the CCC with the 6-programmable buttons) and latest software.
Sorry thought yours was a later retrofit, my mistake.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #520
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Will post the parts when done. The system CIC I have is enabled for Nav so the Voice control is the only enabling code needed (i think).

So your used CIC is showing the Nav without any other coding?

My retrofit is in a MY2008 E90 M3, and the CIC is brand new from a BMW dealer (not installed in another car previously).

No Nav or Voice Control are enabled.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #521
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

Could you please send more details on the USB cable solution now ?
I'm missing this part in my installation and would be happy to do it asap.

Thanks,
Patryk
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #522
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So your used CIC is showing the Nav without any other coding?

My retrofit is in a MY2008 E90 M3, and the CIC is brand new from a BMW dealer (not installed in another car previously).
Yep as my unit was used it of coarse had nav installed..

Now I will get back to you about a vigin unit, the Master tech did mention about virgin units.. along the lines of from factory to dealer the nav is NOT enabled. The PDI (pre delivery inspection) guys have some form of enabling code (possibly different or in addition to him enabling the system)?

should be able to confirm in a little more detail next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #523
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:

Now I will get back to you about a vigin unit, the Master tech did mention about virgin units.. along the lines of from factory to dealer the nav is NOT enabled. The PDI (pre delivery inspection) guys have some form of enabling code (possibly different or in addition to him enabling the system)?

I wouldn't be so happy about the Navigation.
It will probably stop working after your restart your car a few times.
That happened to me and other guys that had their used CICs installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #524
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Something is not quite right here, that's the reason I asked that question.

When you get an CIC from a donor's car and install it in another car, both the Nav and the Voice Control will be disabled (see OEM atached document). I know of at least three CICs (new or used, no matter) that after retrofitting to another car the Nav and the Voice Control did not work, and still they do not work to this day.

Yours is the first used unit that I know that the maps are working without the FSC codes. I think that your unit is in some type of temporary state, and once you unit is fully coded then the Navigation will be also disabled like it is supposed to be.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FSC required after CIC replacement.pdf (17.2 KB, 344 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #525
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
I wouldn't be so happy about the Navigation.
It will probably stop working after your restart your car a few times.
That happened to me and other guys that had their used CICs installed.
Intresting, how many times did you have to cycle iginiton? are we talking a few days or weeks?

if true the unit must be checking CAS/LM and not see correct VIN (really the only defining feature between cars) and somehow locking it self ( writing to its own internal self)..

Umh....

Has anyone every popped the lid of the CIC yet?

Proccessor types -?????
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #526
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Intresting, how many times did you have to cycle iginiton? are we talking a few days or weeks?

if true the unit must be checking CAS/LM and not see correct VIN (really the only defining feature between cars) and somehow locking it self ( writing to its own internal self)..

Umh....

Proccessor types -?????
You need the FSC codes, as everybody else trying this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #527
cartronics GB
Cartronics GB
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Something is not quite right here, that's the reason I asked that question.

When you get an CIC from a donor's car and install it in another car, both the Nav and the Voice Control will be disabled (see OEM atached document). I know of at least three CICs (new or used, no matter) that after retrofitting to another car the Nav and the Voice Control did not work, and still they do not work to this day.

Yours is the first used unit that I know that the maps are working without the FSC codes. I think that your unit is in some type of itemporary state, and once you unit is fully coded then the Navigation will be also disabled like it is supposed to be.
Maybe I will cycle the iginton a few times BEFORE i code the car.

OR ......

Thougths on this.

if above is true, ie works until coded (which in effect ties it into the CAS/LM).

When I code the car I will ONLY code relevent parts of the CIC, ie I will not recode the NAV.. I will not recode the Voice (if it works) but code additional
features needed & or remove items not needed .

By doing this the Nav still thinks its coded to the donor card.

?????????????????? Maybe

Thanks for the heads up will check that out as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #528
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:

Umh....

Proccessor types -?????
Usually after 2-3 restart procedures your CIC should deactivate the Navigation. You can send the restart command to your CIC or close the door and wait a few minutes then start the car and if you see the BMW logo the CIC is restarting or you can force your CIC to restart by pressing the power button for 25 seconds.

The VIN in your CIC doesn't match with the actual one. That's why the FSC codes are VIN specific.
Appreciate 0