E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Review: VRSF xi DP, VRSF FMIC, TMS brake kit

10-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Review: VRSF xi DP, VRSF FMIC, TMS brake kit

So I just got my car back from getting some things installed today and figured I would write a review. I had the install done at a shop called ACI Dynamix in Seymour, CT and had them install a few goodies. I had the VRSF DP's, FMIC, and TMS brake kit installed. First thing i'm going to talk about is the shop.

ACI Dynamix & Bryce:

Bryce, the owner, was a great guy to deal with and extremely helpful with answering all my questions regarding the install. He kept me updated throughout and was very detailed with his install. He even pointed out some things he discovered as he worked on the car which helped me find out about my cars history… Apparently the dealership we bought the car from forgot to mention it was the front bumper had been repaired . Anyways I dropped my car off Saturday morning and picked it up Monday afternoon. Throughout the install process Bryce texted me pictures and provided me with updates on what was done and what would be done the following days. The shop is really organized and the prices are extremely reasonable which was my main goal since this is a pretty big install. Anyways thanks again Bryce, I hope I didn't annoy you too much with the constant texts and questions.

VRSF DP's and FMIC:

I have an Xi and because of that there aren't many options in regards to our downpipes. I've been waiting for an affordable set to come out that's still good quality and I knew that would be the VRSF's.

When I received the pipes I looked over the welds and they seemed very nice especially considering these were a test fit set, not a production set. The FMIC also looked very well constructed and came with everything needed to install.

After getting the car back today I did a few pulls on the way home and definitely noticed a difference. Boost was building up much faster than it did before and the car was pulling much harder up top. It was also nice to be able to do repeated back to back pulls without the car heatsoaking. The DP's also added a good amount of sound.

I was actually surprised at how much of a difference they made to the exhaust note since I have an E90 with secondary cats and resonators. They also made the turbo's much more audible then they were before and I can now hear them spool up even during normal driving.

VRSF:

As many other reviewers have stated, VRSF is great. Tiago is a great guy to deal with and always responds very quickly when you email him. I asked him tons of questions throughout the process and he always replied with no issues. I hope I didn't annoy you too much Tiago . I'm very happy with the quality of the products I ordered and the price you can get them at. There really is finally a quality company that sells quality products without the "BMW tax." I will definitely order from VRSF again and i'm looking forward to adding more of their products to my car such as the exhaust.

TMS Brake Kit:

I opted for the slotted rotors, HPS pads, SS lines, and ATE blue fluid. Before the install my brakes were squeaking pretty badly to the point where it would turn heads when I was pulling up to a red light. After getting in the car after the install it will definitely take some getting used to but i'm happy with the way it feels. I lost the initial bite of the OEM brakes but its now a much nicer progressive feel. The first thing I thought about when I got in was how similar the braking felt to my friends STi with the Brembos. Along with the improved performance I also think the brakes look a lot better than they did before even though I know i will get flamed for the ///M decals… I was a strong believer in not putting M logo's on a non-m car but after seeing the pictures from the guy I bought them from I liked how it looked. If I did it over again I would probably do "BMW Performance" instead.

Since the fluid reservoir is shared with the clutch fluid, I also noticed a difference in my clutch pedal feel. It's a little bit less stiff and the engagement seems like its smoother.

Pictures/Videos:

Here's some pictures of the pipes and FMIC before install, during install, and after install. The video isn't the best but I just wanted to get home and record a quick video for everyone to hear. I was in the garage and only revved the car to around 3-4k but I think you can obviously tell the difference from the stock exhaust. The downpipes made it a bit deeper with more turbo noise. I'm hoping to get some better video soon and when I do i'll update this thread. Anyway here's the pictures and video:

Edit: Took a quick video showing a start when the car is warmed up and some revs outside. A bit louder and deeper than the stock exhaust in my opinion. The note really changes when its under load like in the second clip of my first video.

Edit 11/14/12: Finally got a chance to take some logs today so I figured it would be a good idea to graph them and post them. The 3 runs from today were done with all the mods I have now and 93 octane. I don't remember the weather but I think it was around 50 degrees. I basically did 3 pulls in a row with very little cool down time. All I really did was pull over, save the files, and then hop back on the road to take another.

I also overlayed a stock run just for comparison although I don't know how fair it is... The stock FMIC run was taken from 9/22/12 and i'm pretty sure the temperature was somewhere in the 60's maybe even hotter. I used the 3rd pull for the VRSF and the 4th pull from 9/22 since it was my cleanest out of all the pulls that day. Below i'll post all the regular logs and graphs.

Run 1:

Run 2:

Run 3:

VRSF Vs. Stock:

More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ

Last edited by psmitty95; 11-14-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Great review thanks for taking the time....
It won't be long when VRSF will take over the aftermarket parts world here
Those welds look fantastic......
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
bmwm3redblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW E92 335Xi

Yes great review, thanks for the info!
So is it a great difference between just tune and tune, dp's+fmic???
      10-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
bmwm3redblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW E92 335Xi

10-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

Nice review. Quick question, are you running o2 sensor spacers or did you code out the lack of cats with the tune?

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Antonio1988
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3

Great review, thanks for taking the time to write it
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Turbo SVT
Rep
Drives: Looking for a 335

Looks great man! Those are some nice welds.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #8
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
looks great! i will be going with their products when i have the $
      10-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio1988 View Post
Great review, thanks for taking the time to write it
Thanks and no problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo SVT View Post
Looks great man! Those are some nice welds.
That's what I said when I saw the pipes. They're especially nice considering these were test fit pipes not production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
looks great! i will be going with their products when i have the $
Thanks i'd definitely recommend them, big difference in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
Nice review. Quick question, are you running o2 sensor spacers or did you code out the lack of cats with the tune?
Nope i'm using the jb4 to clear the codes automatically but i'm thinking about going with the dp fix so it doesn't delete codes i want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
Thanks! I noticed a pretty big difference. As i said the spool up was quicker along with more power up top. I's say the power difference also felt similar to when i ran E85 mixes but maybe a little less than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario0573 View Post
Great review thanks for taking the time....
It won't be long when VRSF will take over the aftermarket parts world here
Those welds look fantastic......
Thank you. Yea I think its nice that someone finally sells good quality items for an affordable price.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Another video my buddy took today of me driving away. Shows how it sounds under load. I would recommend turning up your speakers because he was far away and it was filmed with an iPhone.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nice review!
If you ever want more sound, you can remove the resonator( which would basically be an e92 exhaust) or the sec cats and leave the res. Either way, the car should be a beast now
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Nice review!
If you ever want more sound, you can remove the resonator( which would basically be an e92 exhaust) or the sec cats and leave the res. Either way, the car should be a beast now
Thanks! I thought about doing that but decided I didn't really want to chop up the oem exhaust... I think i'm just going to get the VRSF exhaust when it comes out. I should have a better driving away video coming later today that my friend filmed.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Last video, I promise.... Same friend who's taken most of these took one after I dropped him off today but he got closer to the car and made it so you could actually see the car. This video's worth it cause i'm pretty sure somehow it shot a flame... If you look a few feet behind the car right at the start of the acceleration theres a flash of light

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Bump for logs of FMIC added at the bottom of OP. I'll also add them here in case thats easier

Run 1:

Run 2:

Run 3:

VRSF Vs. Stock:

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Wow, your timing looks terrible in those logs considering you have an FMIC and cool weather, even at peak 13psi. What gas are you running?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Wow, your timing looks terrible in those logs considering you have an FMIC and cool weather, even at peak 13psi. What gas are you running?
It was mobil 93 octane on map 5. I filled up with 93 but it could have been 91 or 87 considering the gas shortages here . I thought everything was back to normal so I threw in some 93... Maybe I should adjust open loop?

Main reason i went out to log today was to see if everything was running well since i'm planning on going to a dyno saturday so any other feedback on settings i should change or whatnot would be appreciated. I keep debating between dynoing with 93 or 50/50 E85. Only reason idk if i want to go with E85 is i kind of want to find out what numbers the car pushes on a daily basis and I also heard that in the winter gas stations change the E85 mix?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
It was mobil 93 octane on map 5. I filled up with 93 but it could have been 91 or 87 considering the gas shortages here . I thought everything was back to normal so I threw in some 93... Maybe I should adjust open loop?

Main reason i went out to log today was to see if everything was running well since i'm planning on going to a dyno saturday so any other feedback on settings i should change or whatnot would be appreciated. I keep debating between dynoing with 93 or 50/50 E85. Only reason idk if i want to go with E85 is i kind of want to find out what numbers the car pushes on a daily basis and I also heard that in the winter gas stations change the E85 mix?
Your trims are fine so open loop isn't the issue, it's your gas quality no doubt. If map 5 is tuning to 13psi and you are FBO, and your timing is looking like that, I would mix in some e85. If you are going to dyno your car, you don't have to leave it on map 5. You can use a custom map6, or if you don't want to mess with that I would just run map 1.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your trims are fine so open loop isn't the issue, it's your gas quality no doubt. If map 5 is tuning to 13psi and you are FBO, and your timing is looking like that, I would mix in some e85. If you are going to dyno your car, you don't have to leave it on map 5. You can use a custom map6, or if you don't want to mess with that I would just run map 1.
I think it was peaking in the 14's in the CSV for some of the logs so wouldn't map 5 be better to dyno? I think i'm going to throw a 50/50 E85 mix in and do 2 pulls with E85 and 1 pull on Map 2 since that's what FBO cars should run, right?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

your videos make me a lil dizzy .. hahah alot of movement

the DP and FMIC are very nice. Those are on my list. good work
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by demontwinz View Post
your videos make me a lil dizzy .. hahah alot of movement

the DP and FMIC are very nice. Those are on my list. good work
Hahaha sorry all were filmed on an iphone... The ones of the car on the highway and going under the bridge were filmed while my friend was driving the other car so he couldn't really focus on keeping it that smooth
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
I think it was peaking in the 14's in the CSV for some of the logs so wouldn't map 5 be better to dyno? I think i'm going to throw a 50/50 E85 mix in and do 2 pulls with E85 and 1 pull on Map 2 since that's what FBO cars should run, right?
Honestly even if you were peaking 14psi, you are still pulling timing with an FMIC on map 5 (indicates fairly bad fuel). I would lay off the dyno until you can clean up that timing, either with better gas or a small E85 mix, because your engine isn't happy. Besides if you dyno now you arn't going to see yout max power potential.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly even if you were peaking 14psi, you are still pulling timing with an FMIC on map 5 (indicates fairly bad fuel). I would lay off the dyno until you can clean up that timing, either with better gas or a small E85 mix, because your engine isn't happy. Besides if you dyno now you arn't going to see yout max power potential.
I'm have to dyno Saturday since i already have an appointment so i'll clean it up with an E85 mix. I plan on doing 50/50 E85 then doing 2 pulls with map 5 and 1 pull map 2 just to give an idea what power I should have without E85.
Appreciate 0