E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > OHYEAH.JPG (my bluetooth works now)

08-30-2014, 01:45 AM   #45
tim_melgin
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

First off, thanks to alexwhittemore for getting me pointed in the right direction and for all the information regarding wiring. It is with his initial knowledge that I was successful in adding bluetooth to my car.

Respectfully, I believe I have discovered a better and safer way to activate/code bluetooth in cars that are being stubborn. This method does not involve resetting/processing the entire car. I was very reluctant to reset all the modules in my car for fear of having a problem and because I had no desire to lose all my custom coding. As well, it was my belief that modules like the airbag module should not need to be touched to add bluetooth. Finally, coding with a blank .man file is considered bad form. Here's my alternative.

1) Add $644 to the VO with FA_WRITE. This needs to be written to the CAS and the NFRM. These two modules both hold the VO for redundancy and both need to match.

2) The MULF2 and the 2URAD are on the optical MOST loop which is inaccessible using a DCAN cable from NCSEXPERT. This means coding these modules directly is out of the question. They can be reset with NCSEXPERT though, and if the VO of the car has changed, they can be updated to reflect the new options.

3) To reset module defaults and to avoid coding with a blank .man file, you need to make a new profile in NCSEXPERT. Start with revtors profile or expertmode profile and under file, select edit. The password is repext. Click "FSW/PSW" and uncheck "FSW/PSW Manipulate with FSW/PSW.man file", Click OK. Click "profile info" and give the profile a unique name (I chose "reset defaults"). Click OK and then under the file menu select save as, and give the new profile a new file name.

*almost done*

4) Load your new profile (it should already be loaded from the last step, so this isn't strictly necessary). Press F1 then F3, choose your chassis, press OK, press F6. Select F4 (process ECU) and select 2MULF. With the jobname set to SG_CODIEREN, execute the job. You will get an error that the job didn't work, fear not. Change the ECU to 2URAD and again execute SG_CODIEREN. You will get errors again. Don't worry.

5) Change job to SG_RESET and execute the job. You will notice your stereo screen go blank. While it is resetting and the screen is blank, quickly change the ECU to 2MULF and make sure the job is still SG_RESET. Execute the job.

6) You should now have the TEL option in your radio menu, and you will still have all your previous custom coding (if any). If you do not, try SG_RESET on the 2URAD and 2MULF again, and do them quickly back to back. There should be no need to have the car "sleep." If you are successful, it will be right away.

There you have it. Blank .man files should be avoided. Step 4 from above is the preferred method for defaulting any module, because NCSEXPERT will rebuild the .trc file and upload it based on the values it reads from your VO. Make sure your daten files are up to date, as this will eliminate the root of many coding issues people experience. At the time of this writing, I am using v50.2. (I think there may be even newer, but this one is still recent to 2013).

P.S. I know it's bad form to resurrect an old thread, but this one is the one that comes up when searching for how to code an e90 for bluetooth. Best to put this info where people will see it.

Last edited by tim_melgin; 08-30-2014 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:48 AM   #46
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Nice, that procedure looks great! More importantly, detailed and repeatable
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #47
RSguy
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp Sold, 128i

Success

Worked for me as well, great work.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:45 AM   #48
jtriana
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i N55

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Ulf Coding Success

Thanks Tim for the procedure. After trying multiple guides to get my radio and ULF coded, your guide was the one that worked.
The only issues I have are:
my voice command button doesn't do anything.
The audio is too loud and can't be adjusted.
The radio display for last8, calls and missed doesn't stay displayed when I press the corresponding button. It just flashes the names & numbers for a second and then displays no entries.

I have a 2008 328i with an aftermarket amp installed, which I'm guessing may be the reason for the loud volume.

Anyone know if you have to code for iPod if you retrofit a USB/AUX port?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #49
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

Thanks Tim! Your instructions worked perfectly on my '08 335i logic 7 radio that already had the MULF2. Now I just need to wire up the antenna and mic.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #50
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphor1989
Thanks Tim! Your instructions worked perfectly on my '08 335i logic 7 radio that already had the MULF2. Now I just need to wire up the antenna and mic.
There is actually a retrofit mic cable sold as a bmw part but its only really long enough to go behind. The HU
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #51
julienjj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

I did the same on my canadian E82 135i and it worked ( it has the mulf2 and a 2urad professional radio). I had the $6FLA and $640 phone prep already installed in the car from the factory

I added the $620 package (voice control) and $644 for bluetooth. Did the sg_reset on both unit and booom: Bluetooth is now in the radio options. The steering wheel button is working as well now.
Gone : 135i 2008 | Gone : 2008 535i Touring|
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 04:19 AM   #52
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

thanks for this. I will try this tomorrow.
Appreciate 0