E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Finally!! Oil catch can installed!

01-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #23
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Do you have any other shots by the way? I'm still curious about where the line actually ends into the valve head, still haven't taken the cover off to look for myself.
      01-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #24
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Do you have any other shots by the way? I'm still curious about where the line actually ends into the valve head, still haven't taken the cover off to look for myself.
Yea here are the rest...I figured they weren't as clear to see what was going on, so I didnt post them. The pictures go in order from somewhere near the start to the finish. Obviously, the steps mentioned/pictured in the beginning are left out.

Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #25
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Bleh, it was the last one but the stupid firewall brace is in the way.
      01-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #26
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post

I was wondering where you were. I posted it just for you and midlife since you both seemed so interested.

I was in a 3 hour continuing education class to keep my real estate license active......it was a freaking blast .
      01-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #27
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bleh, it was the last one but the stupid firewall brace is in the way.

I figured that was the one you needed most. Better than nothing, lazyass.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #28
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post

I was in a 3 hour continuing education class to keep my real estate license active......it was a freaking blast .
Yea. I was going to put up a teaser thread last night...but, I wouldn't do that to you guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #29
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post

I figured that was the one you needed most. Better than nothing, lazyass.
Hey, it's not THAT lazy, it's a pain in the but to get that cover off.
      01-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #30
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

nice setup that doesn't have a 200% mark up
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #31
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, it's not THAT lazy, it's a pain in the but to get that cover off.
LOL. So you miss 30 minutes of Oprah...big deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #32
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
nice setup that doesn't have a 200% mark up
It was $103 for the catchcan - that includes shipping from LA to FL. Install was $50 and $10 for the tubing. So $163 for the whole ordeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #33
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Looks really good. Keep us posted as to how much you find in there on a weekly basis. If you could get all of it out each time and measure it, maybe even keep a chart that would be awesome.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #34
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Looks really good. Keep us posted as to how much you find in there on a weekly basis. If you could get all of it out each time and measure it, maybe even keep a chart that would be awesome.
I will probably take a look at it this Friday. I will try to measure it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #35
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Great work!! Im gonna get those covers off and see if i can custom fab something like you are running... Anyone know the part number for the hose that gets cut?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #36
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
Great work!! Im gonna get those covers off and see if i can custom fab something like you are running... Anyone know the part number for the hose that gets cut?
It's in here somewhere http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108437
      01-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #37
x7original4x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

nice job man, thanks for taking that step forward for those who have been looking for a solution.........who installed it for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:53 AM   #38
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

I was going to venture myself, but glad you did it first.

This was one of the first things done in my evo. It will save you from finding puddles of oil in your IC pipes and will save your FMIC from getting coated over time with oil.
      01-30-2008, 04:08 AM   #39
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
Oil catch cans, or tanks, collect the oil, moisture and blow-by gas that causes carbon and sludge build-up in the intake system and engine to keep them clean especially under harsh driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by de.abeja View Post
Buloooski, Engines have something called a positive crankcase ventilation valve (PCV).
- Piston rings are really good at sealing the combustion chamber but are not perfect, especially when boost is added.
- As a result of the imperfect sealing small amounts of combustion get into the crankcase pressurizing it slightly.
- This pressure has to go somewhere and because we cannot legally vent to air we use the intake vacuum to suck out the pressure.
- The pressurized air from the crankcase carries fumes from the hot oil, and burnt fuel etc.., these fumes can leave an oily residue on boost pipes and the intake manifold.
- The oily residue is an undesired effect because it retains heat(Bad), collects and can become little gummy nasties that fly off into the cylinder like blood clots into your brain (bad), these increase the likely hood of knocking (really bad).
- Catch cans operate as an interceptor of the vaporized oils, by being a slightly cooler chamber (some have plates inside) the oil condenses and collects in the bottom of the can where it can be simply drained out.
- The catch can significantly reduces the oil in the intake tract (Good) by "catching" it.
Hope this was helpful.

Thanks a lot guys for the info...i had no clue that all of this happened when you increase boost.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #40
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
I was going to venture myself, but glad you did it first.

This was one of the first things done in my evo. It will save you from finding puddles of oil in your IC pipes and will save your FMIC from getting coated over time with oil.
if one was to install a catchcan with say 5,000 miles already on the car,
how do you clean out any oil and other sh*t that is already in the IC and IC pipes?
...is a "cleanup" necessary? or does the IC and IC pipes slowly clean themselves up???

rideelement...congrats!!... and keep us posted on maintenence, oil pickup and other details.

thanks

btw, i see i am mentioned in this catch can thread, i am very interested,
but in the middle of a few car projects right now....
BUT I AM DEFINITELY GONNA DO THIS CATCHCAN MOD!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #41
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
if one was to install a catchcan with say 5,000 miles already on the car,
how do you clean out any oil and other sh*t that is already in the IC and IC pipes?
...is a "cleanup" necessary? or does the IC and IC pipes slowly clean themselves up???

rideelement...congrats!!... and keep us posted on maintenence, oil pickup and other details.

thanks

btw, i see i am mentioned in this catch can thread, i am very interested,
but in the middle of a few car projects right now....
BUT I AM DEFINITELY GONNA DO THIS CATCHCAN MOD!
I wouldn't say a cleanup is totally necessary. Of course you won't be able to clean the FMIC, but you'll notice if you need to clean up the IC pipes or not. The oil will be collected usually in the lower bends of the IC pipes. You'll see a little puddle and you can usually just wiipe it clean with a rag.

This goes to the guys with many miles...
Have you guys seen oil build up in the IC pipes? If so, was it a lot or very minimal?

I'm interested in seeing how much oil is collected in the OP's can over the next few weeks. My evo did collect some oil in the catch can over the course of 15,000mi, but it wasn't even a 1/4 cup of oil.
      01-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #42
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep

Bought the vent hose from BMW today so now im waiting on a catch can to come in that i ordered off Ebay and im gonna take off the cowl and put one in as well!! Thank you very much OP for being the first!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #43
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
admins, can we add this to the mod list or DIY section?
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #44
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
Bought the vent hose from BMW today so now im waiting on a catch can to come in that i ordered off Ebay and im gonna take off the cowl and put one in as well!! Thank you very much OP for being the first!!
Which did you purchase?