Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Noob's questions on rims... and life.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LMB '09 E90 M3

Noob's questions on rims... and life.

This is the first time I've thought about re-shoeing my ride and the first time I've been in a position to do it. Just looking though posts I'm starting to learn a good bit about the process, but there are some things I haven't been able to come up with answers to, even though I've searched. I understand some of the basics, such as how to read tire sizes (255/35-18, etc), the difference between cast and forged wheels (but not which is better and when it's better), run-flats suck and the fact that CSL's are drop dead sexy. However, once you get past that, I'm a little lost. Without further ado, lets rock and roll:

1. What's a staggered (v. non-staggered) setup? It seems like our cars come factory with a staggered setup, but at some sites, you can buy staggered or non-staggered. Any advantages to either?

2. What is offset, how is it measured?

3. Where do eye boogies come from?

4. Are stock BMW rims cast or forged? Why are the factory BMW rims so expensive aftermarket?

5. From the pictures in a post called 'To buy or not to buy Iforged? Everyone reply please..' it looks like the Iforged wheels are made by welding a center to a rim. I haven't seen the back of a set, but judging by the way the spokes blend into the rim on some wheels, it looks like they're machined from a solid chunk of that good ol' 6061-T6. I'm thinking of something like Morr's, for example. Is this true? Are there two different ways to make a forged rim?

7. Are some makes of rims banned at tracks? Are forged better than cast for general driving and track duty? I only want to know this to help better advise others. I would never take my car to a track or drag strip, according to BMW, this is sin #1.

8. What happened to #6?

9. Would anyone feel like making a sticky 'Wheels FAQ' type of thing? Heck, in exchange to answers to these questions, I'll type it up if someone wants to proof-read it before I post.

10. What's the meaning of life?

11. Am I out of questions?
-Yes, for now.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

2. From the center of the rim to the hub (contactpoint between the rim and the car).

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooreski View Post
1. What's a staggered (v. non-staggered) setup? It seems like our cars come factory with a staggered setup, but at some sites, you can buy staggered or non-staggered. Any advantages to either?
Staggered = wider wheels in rear compared to front. Looks nice and aggressive. But usually more costly.
Non-staggered = width of wheels same in front and rear. Able to rotate tires front and rear. Theoretically less understeer as well.

Quote:
2. What is offset, how is it measured?
Basically offset will effect how far your wheels will be pushed in or out from the center of the car.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...urrentpage=107

Quote:
3. Where do eye boogies come from?
Particulates left after the water from your eye fluids have evaporated.

Quote:
4. Are stock BMW rims cast or forged? Why are the factory BMW rims so expensive aftermarket?
Most OEM rims are cast. Some rims (usually only found on ///M cars) are forged.

BMW rims are expensive because the dealer knows they can mark up prices and the average BMW driver will not know any better and will just buy them.

Quote:
5. From the pictures in a post called 'To buy or not to buy Iforged? Everyone reply please..' it looks like the Iforged wheels are made by welding a center to a rim. I haven't seen the back of a set, but judging by the way the spokes blend into the rim on some wheels, it looks like they're machined from a solid chunk of that good ol' 6061-T6. I'm thinking of something like Morr's, for example. Is this true? Are there two different ways to make a forged rim?
Forged wheels can be made via different methods. A design can be CNC cut from a blank (solid chunk of aluminum...or magnesium if you're really fancy). This is a very solid way of making a wheel. Some manfacturers call this monoblock forged or even 1-piece wheels. MORR calls it "Monoforged" and is a trademarked term.

Forged wheels can also be made out of several pieces. This can be where the barrel of the wheel is made from some other process and the center is made from forged material. There are 2-piece and 3-piece wheels. Some are riveted together. Some welded. That's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Quote:
7. Are some makes of rims banned at tracks? Are forged better than cast for general driving and track duty? I only want to know this to help better advise others. I would never take my car to a track or drag strip, according to BMW, this is sin #1.
Cast = cheaper but usually heavier than forged

Forged = more expensive...but usually stronger and lighter than an equivalent sized cast wheel.

In general terms, a forged wheel is better. It will reduce wheel mass and theretically help with handling, braking and acceleration.

Some users of multi-piece forged wheels (such as HRE and iForged) have complained of stress cracking from using these wheels on the track. I have heard rumours on E90post that some tracks banned HRE. I don't know how true this is. Lots of happy HRE and iForged users out there.

If you really want a multi-piece forged wheel for track driving...consider the BBS LM-R. Light and used by racing teams around the world. Or go with a monoblock forged wheel.

Having said that...I would bet most people tracking their BMW will use a 17" or 18" cast wheel instead of a 19" forged wheel. First of all...cast wheels are cheap. And if they are small (17" for example) they are light too. Also they can get cheaper tires too.

Quote:
8. What happened to #6?
Don't know.

Quote:
9. Would anyone feel like making a sticky 'Wheels FAQ' type of thing? Heck, in exchange to answers to these questions, I'll type it up if someone wants to proof-read it before I post.
I was going to do this (like my Shift Knob thread ) but I keep running out of time or decide to do other things.

Quote:
10. What's the meaning of life?
Self fulfillment.

Quote:
11. Am I out of questions?
-Yes, for now.
Self answered question.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
Mooreski
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LMB '09 E90 M3

Awesome, thanks for the answers. Very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]