E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > EBC, Cool Carbons or ?

06-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
Rickstir
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xI Couple

EBC, Cool Carbons or ?

My 2009 E92 is ready for new front brakes @ 75K miles. I have a dealer warranty set of rear pads replaced about 15K miles ago, but I am prepared to replace them as well to ensure I have consistency for the front and rear braking.

My driving is primarily a 20 mile one way commute of which 16 is highway and depending on traffic it can go from 70 to dead stop in an instant. I live in the mid atlantic area so summers are 90's and winters are 20's and snow.

My 3 main needs are
1, Reduced dust as compared to the OEM pads
2. Firm braking no matter the condition
3. quiet brakes, no squealing !

The rotors are in great shape and do not require replacing and if at all possible I would like to avoid replacing them.

Research has led me to Cool Carbons or EBC Reds.
the Cool Carbons seem to have had problems in the past, but they have been corrected as near as I can tell.
The EBC's do not have a lot of reviews so it is hard to determine if they are good or bad.

Looking for some feedback in the next week so I can get on with my purchase.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Would love to know as well. Subscribed.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I recently switched from OEM to CoolCarbon, little over 1k ago. Initial bite is less but next to zero dust. I drive the car everyday, 30 to 50 miles on average, went on one track event as well and no complains.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Ran some Cool Carbons for 3k miles. Less dust than OEM and Hawks. But terrible at the track. They started falling apart and squeaking after one HPDE. Wound up switching them back out for Hawks, happy ever since.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Ran some Cool Carbons for 3k miles. Less dust than OEM and Hawks. But terrible at the track. They started falling apart and squeaking after one HPDE. Wound up switching them back out for Hawks, happy ever since.
What Hawks pads are you running for track events?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
But terrible at the track. They started falling apart and squeaking after one HPDE.
I didn't find them terrible but then again I have F30 brakes
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I didn't find them terrible but then again I have F30 brakes
His car is tuned and running on ethanol, making about 400whp with all the engine mods, in comparison to your stock engine at 270-280whp.

Not exactly a fair comparison, especially when comparing the stock 348mm rotors to your 380mm F30 M-performance rotors.

Hybrid street-track pads sucks, just like all season tires, they aren't good at anything. They are noisy on the streets and don't work that well in the cold, and would fall apart on the track once you start to pick up pace.

EBC yellow I tried last year squeal quite a bit when it was new and only got worse after I beat on it on the track (fell apart after I start pushing them, no good). Those things squeal louder than my PFC08 pads that I have now...

Look into Hawk HPS 5.0 or the Performance Friction Z-rated pads if you want a quite but well performing street pads with low dust. Personally, I would just stick with the OEM Textar pads for the good bite and pedal fell, and just deal with the brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
270-280whp.
if that, highly doubt it.
Quote:
OEM Textar pads for the good bite and pedal fell, and just deal with the brake dust.
brake dust is too much and these Apex wheels aren't the easiest to clean

I king of disagree with you that how brakes will perform depends a lot of the vehicle output having in mind that we go to the same tracks and the cars weight about the same. Both of your cars are a lot faster than mine but we all start braking down from roughly about the same top speed, your cars just get to that speed quicker than mine. Please don't tell me that you brake from 150mph and I brake from 120mph. I know we are comparing apples and oranges but honestly the only variable that makes a lot of difference here is the rotor size: 345mm vs 370mm and driving/braking style. Because of their size they aren't getting overwhelmed, not because the car is slow. My comment was solely based on comparing the stock OEM vs CoolCarbon. Other than less brake dust and little less initial bite CoolCarbon are good considering the price you pay for them. The OEM pads lasted me one full year and about 10 track day. I expect the same form the CoolCarbon

...yours is AT as well, which demands more form the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
if that, highly doubt it.

Stock 335i dynos at 270-280whp, look it up it you don't believe me. And I have dyno sheets from my car to prove while it had intake valves cleaned last year

brake dust is too much and these Apex wheels aren't the easiest to clean

Not an issue if you use paint sealant and wash the wheels regularly, instead of just letting them sit for weeks while it gets caked on from the heat generated by the brakes on track

I king of disagree with you that how brakes will perform depends a lot of the vehicle output having in mind that we go to the same tracks and the cars weight about the same. Both of your cars are a lot faster than mine but we all start braking down from roughly about the same top speed, your cars just get to that speed quicker than mine. Please don't tell me that you brake from 150mph and I brake from 120mph. I know we are comparing apples and oranges but honestly the only variable that makes a lot of difference here is the rotor size: 345mm vs 370mm and driving/braking style. Because of their size they aren't getting overwhelmed, not because the car is slow. My comment was solely based on comparing the stock OEM vs CoolCarbon. Other than less brake dust and little less initial bite CoolCarbon are good considering the price you pay for them. The OEM pads lasted me one full year and about 10 track day. I expect the same form the CoolCarbon

Please explain how a less powerful car is able to retain the same top speed as as a car that has 100hp more, assuming the same corner exist speed. It is not like any of our cars are aero limited, with giant front spoiler and rear wings limiting the top speed... What you said is against physics. When I run stock boost earlier this year, my car is noticeably slower at the straight, down by 10-20mph by the time I reach the braking zone, comparing to 15 psi tune that I usually run on tracks. I have piles of data logs to prove this. Remember kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass of the vehicles * velocity^2, so the extra 10-20mph makes a noticeable difference on the heat generated on the braking system.

...yours is AT as well, which demands more form the brakes.

This is about the only part I agree with (~50lbs heavier than a MT car if I remember correctly, and less engine brake at decel. due to the torque convertor instead of a clutch), sorry
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
What Hawks pads are you running for track events?
HPS
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #11
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Stock 335i dynos at 270-280whp, look it up it you don't believe me. And I have dyno sheets from my car to prove while it had intake valves cleaned last year.

I was talking about mine. I don't think mine puts down 270/280hp at the wheels

Not an issue if you use paint sealant and wash the wheels regularly, instead of just letting them sit for weeks while it gets caked on from the heat generated by the brakes on track

If clear coat that is not needed since the wheels are power coated. Only teflon spray ( that I know of) is heat resistant. I have tried that but found out that wd-40 works better. You need to get your hands in there and there are just too many spokes. Is not like you can just hose it off. If was a 5 spoke design I wasn't going to complain of brake dust.

Please explain how a less powerful car is able to retain the same top speed as as a car that has 100hp more, assuming the same corner exist speed. It is not like any of our cars are aero limited, with giant front spoiler and rear wings limiting the top speed... What you said is against physics. When I run stock boost earlier this year, my car is noticeably slower at the straight, down by 10-20mph by the time I reach the braking zone, comparing to 15 psi tune that I usually run on tracks. I have piles of data logs to prove this. Remember kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass of the vehicles * velocity^2, so the extra 10-20mph makes a noticeable difference on the heat generated on the braking system.

It would be a lengthy answer and we should move this discussion. OP might not appreciate us polluting this tread.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I have performance friction Z up front and hawk performance ceramics for rears. Both dust less than oem but I wouldn't say either is "low dust". The PF Zs were quiet after install but now squeak a little when cold, at the last moment of a complete stop. I like the PF Zs in spite of the noise as they seem to stop really well for autox and street. I don't think they're recommended for track.

I experimented with Opticoat on two wheels and in does help with cleaning. I've also used the armor all wheel sealant and the results are good for 4 to 6 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Hawk HPS 5.0. Is really good when you need it, but less bite at the beginning.

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0