E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW CODING success

07-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #4137
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

CCC, 6FL, XM, BT coding

Hi guys!

I have just retrofitted CCC, 6FL, XM and BT to a 2008 328xi, but I'm getting stuck in coding. After reading through many threads, I think the best method to code these is to change the VO first in the CAS and NFRM, and then process car-> code car. I can code the CAS, NFRM, CAAPL, and KOMBI fine (using Ediabas 7.2, v45 daten, NCSExper 3.1).

I am having lots of problems trying to "code car", which I have posted here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=49 and here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=52

I've read through many threads, and in the process helped myself along (as you can see from the updates), but I'm still getting IFH0009 no response from control unit for TCUM, 2MULF, and probably others too.

Has any coded the 2MULF, TCUM, XM, as well as CCC?

I assume if I connected the MOST connectors wrongly, then nothing should work, since the ring would be broken. But Navigation is indeed working fine, never had a problem. "Just" no audio, or BT, voice control, USB, XM...

Some threads seem to suggest that the MULF or TCUM has to be coded using OPPS, and not DCAN. Some others suggest that DCAN is just fine.

Would autologic units be capable of such coding too? If so then I might just take it to an indie shop.

Thanks,
D
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #4138
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylim View Post
Hi guys!

I have just retrofitted CCC, 6FL, XM and BT to a 2008 328xi, but I'm getting stuck in coding. After reading through many threads, I think the best method to code these is to change the VO first in the CAS and NFRM, and then process car-> code car. I can code the CAS, NFRM, CAAPL, and KOMBI fine (using Ediabas 7.2, v45 daten, NCSExper 3.1).

I am having lots of problems trying to "code car", which I have posted here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=49 and here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=52

I've read through many threads, and in the process helped myself along (as you can see from the updates), but I'm still getting IFH0009 no response from control unit for TCUM, 2MULF, and probably others too.

Has any coded the 2MULF, TCUM, XM, as well as CCC?

I assume if I connected the MOST connectors wrongly, then nothing should work, since the ring would be broken. But Navigation is indeed working fine, never had a problem. "Just" no audio, or BT, voice control, USB, XM...

Some threads seem to suggest that the MULF or TCUM has to be coded using OPPS, and not DCAN. Some others suggest that DCAN is just fine.

Would autologic units be capable of such coding too? If so then I might just take it to an indie shop.

Thanks,
D
It does sound like you may have a misconfigured MOST bus. Those are all symptoms of an open MOST loop. Nav will work fine since the CCC/NAV unit is the gateway from which all other MOST devices connect.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #4139
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
I haven't seen any success stories with "code car" even after updating daten files and ediabas to the latest versions. I believe certain modules can't be coded using the D-CAN cable. After investigating the hardware hookups as GenePoole suggested I would try to read and reset the error memory using INPA and then individually code those modules that still have errors.
      07-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #4140
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
It does sound like you may have a misconfigured MOST bus. Those are all symptoms of an open MOST loop. Nav will work fine since the CCC/NAV unit is the gateway from which all other MOST devices connect.
Hi GenePoole,

Thanks for the reply. So IFH0009 with TCUM and 2MULF, as well as SAT
radio greyed out in idrive, is due to the open MOST loop?

I did use a flash light to check which cables correspond to which. I had the
TCU and SAT cables in the trunk, so those should be ok. I added the MULF
high's MOST cable (tested ok) to the distributor, is that the wrong way to
do it?

Without flipping the MOST blocks over, I did the following to the bottom MOST block:

Original:

green/black CCC
|
|
[-------]
[ ]
[______]
|
|
green CCC

Changed to (pic only shows adding tcu, but the rest is similarly "staggered"):

green/black CCC
| |tcu...
| |
[-------]
[ ]
[______]
| |
| |
tcu green CCC

(EDIT: wow the ascii art is really messed up. This is what the cables look like before:
CCC
CCC
and after:
CCC TCU MULF XM
TCU MULF XM CCC
)

Regardless of which side is the input, the loop should be closed... Am I totally wrong?

Thanks,
D

Last edited by dylim; 07-27-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #4141
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
I haven't seen any success stories with "code car" even after updating daten files and ediabas to the latest versions. I believe certain modules can't be coded using the D-CAN cable. After investigating the hardware hookups as GenePoole suggested I would try to read and reset the error memory using INPA and then individually code those modules that still have errors.
Hi JimVR4,

Thanks for the reply. Oh... ok. If that's the case, how come the "correct" way listed in the threads to change VO is to use Expertmode to FA_WRITE CAS and FRM/NFRM, then SG_CODIEREN whole car?

I tried SG_CODIEREN in expertmode, works for CCC/CAAPL at least, but still no audio. I guess I should change to the FSW PSW MAN profile and change the audio settings in the CAAPL trc file, save as MAN, then SG_CODIEREN CAAPL for audio to work (the donor car had L7, I have hifi). But I didn't want to do that yet since "code car" seems to be more correct instead of going through each module and tweaking the MAN files...

Thanks,
D
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #4142
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Certain cars with base packages don't have the modules that error out.
I go through and code each module 1 by 1 instead of code car (still in expert mode NO BLANK MAN FILES!).
When people say code car assume that it's a way of saying code all of the modules.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #4143
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Hi GenePoole,

Thanks for the reply. So IFH0009 with TCUM and 2MULF, as well as SAT
radio greyed out in idrive, is due to the open MOST loop?

I did use a flash light to check which cables correspond to which. I had the
TCU and SAT cables in the trunk, so those should be ok. I added the MULF
high's MOST cable (tested ok) to the distributor, is that the wrong way to
do it?

Without flipping the MOST blocks over, I did the following to the bottom MOST block:

Original:
Code:
 green/black CCC
 |
 |
[-------]
[          ]
[______]
 |
 |
 green CCC

Changed to (pic only shows adding tcu, but the rest is similarly "staggered"):

green/black CCC
 |  |tcu...
 |  |
[-------]
[          ]
[______]
 |       |
 |       |
tcu   green CCC
(EDIT: wow the ascii art is really messed up. This is what the cables look like before:
CCC
CCC
and after:
CCC TCU MULF XM
TCU MULF XM CCC
)

Regardless of which side is the input, the loop should be closed... Am I totally wrong?

Thanks,
D
Your routing looks OK. I must have misread your post. I thought the modules in question weren't even showing up which would seem indicative of an open MOST loop, but if they are there and just won't take coding, then that's something else (and I don't know what it might be). Are you sure the VO reflects all the added modules?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #4144
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant@DetailAddict View Post
Certain cars with base packages don't have the modules that error out.
I go through and code each module 1 by 1 instead of code car (still in expert mode NO BLANK MAN FILES!).
When people say code car assume that it's a way of saying code all of the modules.
Hi Grant,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think the no blank MAN files part is clear, thanks to you and many others who point that out in many threads. In fact that is why I'm reluctant to use the FSW PSW MAN profile to code the CAAPL in order to get audio back (right now, no audio, as well as no BT, XM, USB, etc). Instead, I wanted to continue looking into using SG_CODIEREN in expertmode to code the modules properly, by changing the VO.

By "code car", I think it's just instead of choosing "f4 process ecu", choose "f3 process car". Then do SG_CODIEREN by using "F1 code car".

In my case, I have added those modules that currently error out - TCUM, 2MULF. Instead of code car, I have also tried to code them directly, but still getting IFH0009 no response.

Thanks,
D
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #4145
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I understand that. That's why I say instead of "code car" I do all modules one by one.

With your interface you will not be able to by default settings.
Some people have been able to use Tools32 to switch the diagnosis device to OBD K+DCAN and been able to code them after that.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #4146
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenePoole View Post
Your routing looks OK. I must have misread your post. I thought the modules in question weren't even showing up which would seem indicative of an open MOST loop, but if they are there and just won't take coding, then that's something else (and I don't know what it might be). Are you sure the VO reflects all the added modules?
Thanks for confirming! As far as I can tell, these VO changes should reflect the addition of CCC, XM, TCU, MUFL high:

I followed the change vo instructions to:

1. remove :
$693 Xm prep
$640 phone prep
$663 radio pro

and added

$609 NAV
$620 voice control
$655 XM
$6AA bmw teleservices
$6AB control for "
$6FL USB
$6UH traffic update
$664 US std mobile phone

I added the voice control, teleservices, and traffic updates since the donor car had them. Some threads said that we should add $644 for BT, but those seem to be mostly when using MULF high for BT. In my case, since I had the TCU, according to the docs that Technic and others found, the TCU should be used instead. Not exactly sure when VO to change, but $664 is indeed called the "US std mobile phone".

Also, all these modules are from the same donor car...

Coding is a bit difficult for me since I don't have a garage, so no power source, and thus can only try out one or two things at a time. When I was doing the idrive retrofit, I had to work with a flashlight for several hours before I could get it done!

Thanks,
D
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #4147
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant@DetailAddict View Post
I understand that. That's why I say instead of "code car" I do all modules one by one.

With your interface you will not be able to by default settings.
Some people have been able to use Tools32 to switch the diagnosis device to OBD K+DCAN and been able to code them after that.
Oh... thanks Grant! I'll search around to see how people do that. Though, using Tools32 seems to risky at my level of "understanding". Hopefully using it to change the interface won't be that risky.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #4148
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh... thanks Grant! I'll search around to see how people do that. Though, using Tools32 seems to risky at my level of "understanding". Hopefully using it to change the interface won't be that risky.
Tried the Tool32, from the help->about, I see that the interface is already stdbd. Not sure what else can be done...

*UPDATE: Took Grant's advice and coded the modules individually, and now I have audio back Still no TCUM, 2MULF, or XM related functionality or codablity- always get IFH0009 no response.

I did not code the following, as they seem unrelated, is working, or is a critical system I do not want to mess up:

ABG (air bag),
BDSC (DSC related, TPMS, etc),
EGS (gear system),
EKP (fuel pump),
FAS (driver's seat module),
FZD (roof module, don't want to code since I don't want the SOS warning),
IHK (climate control),
RLS (rain light sensor),
VGSG (transfer case control unit, prevents AWD related motor overheating)

Last edited by dylim; 07-29-2012 at 06:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #4149
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (e92)

I'm just wondering about some coding experiences from everyone. I use a PC running Windows 7 64-bit. So I'm running a virtual Windows XP. I experience frequent connection issues both in INPA and NCSExpert. Has anyone had communications issues running a virtual machine? I've had occasions where values changed have not been written out to modules.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #4150
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc1880 View Post
I'm just wondering about some coding experiences from everyone. I use a PC running Windows 7 64-bit. So I'm running a virtual Windows XP. I experience frequent connection issues both in INPA and NCSExpert. Has anyone had communications issues running a virtual machine? I've had occasions where values changed have not been written out to modules.
Don't use the Virtual XP mode where the apps running in the VM appear as if they were running on your computer; use the traditional virtual machine mode where you can see the VM's desktop and such. Then just make sure you've got the latest drivers for the cable and have changed your Latency setting to 1 under its Device Manager properties > Port Settings > Advanced. I've never had issues running that setup.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #4151
dylim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Don't use the Virtual XP mode where the apps running in the VM appear as if they were running on your computer; use the traditional virtual machine mode where you can see the VM's desktop and such. Then just make sure you've got the latest drivers for the cable and have changed your Latency setting to 1 under its Device Manager properties > Port Settings > Advanced. I've never had issues running that setup.
+1, that's what I have been using too.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #4152
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I am currently running Windows XP in a Virtual Machine where I see the Windows XP desktop. I should check my drivers again if I do have the latest, but where would the drivers be for the One stop shop cable? I will double check my latency settings but I thought those were set correctly as well.

On occasions I've tried to read a module like for example the NFRM, then it would take some time and then I would get a error having to do with disturbance.

I usually and plugged in and not running on my battery. I also changed the power settings to make sure all USB peripherals are always on.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #4153
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Has anyone here experienced coding the LCI Retrofit for an E92 from 2007-2010 using +MUEB and having it work correctly without errors, flickering, or fast blinking signals?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #4154
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Has anyone here experienced coding the LCI Retrofit for an E92 from 2007-2010 using +MUEB and having it work correctly without errors, flickering, or fast blinking signals?
Why would you need to do that? Just turn off the warm and cold checks and its works perfect
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #4155
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Why would you need to do that? Just turn off the warm and cold checks and its works perfect
Yeah I know. I finally got the retrofit coding working by just turning off the warm and cold checks I just had some communications issues with the laptop/cable/car and it wouldn't write my changes to the NFRM.

But I was just curious if anyone has done it. If those checks are turned off and any of those lights go out, then you wouldn't know right?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #4156
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Yeah I know. I finally got the retrofit coding working by just turning off the warm and cold checks I just had some communications issues with the laptop/cable/car and it wouldn't write my changes to the NFRM.

But I was just curious if anyone has done it. If those checks are turned off and any of those lights go out, then you wouldn't know right?
yes that is correct...you would not know unless you physically inspected
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #4157
Yngvejos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325i, E87 118d

Is this power supply suitable to update modules?
http://www.pjbox.co.uk/product/MAAS-...PPLY/4117.html

Last time I updated, I used an intelligent 15A charger that adjust from 0.2A-15A depending on the load and stop charging when the battery is fully charged. This was not powerfull enough, but It worked when I combined it with jumpercables from a running car.

I don't want to let my other car Idle for 7 hours while updating the cappl module. Do you think it will work with the power supply I found combined with the 15A charger?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #4158
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i xDrive GC (F06)

Hi,

This is a big post and I was wondering does anyone have put together instruction on how to code for the Front&Rear PDC. I am planning to do the install and want to make sure I have instructions on how to do the coding. Or can lay it down for me in lame words. I believe I need to add the VO $507 and $508 and them program some modules, again I dont want to mess up the car so if someone can assist in this it will be helpful

I use INPA and NCSEXPER. I did some beginner coding but by no means an expert but if I have instructions then I can follow them.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

RB