E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Accounting 200, Online?

11-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Accounting 200, Online?

All you college grads/college students... Registering for spring sem here and have a little scheduling dilemma..

Would any of you recommend taking a basic accounting class online? How difficult is it to grasp your self (teaching your self) ?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

It's not rocket science but it's still a new subject that (I'm assuming) you have no previous knowledge of. I probably wouldn't reccommend it, especially if you have to take another accounting class afterwards since it will build on itself
      11-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Basic intro to accounting is pretty easy, but I did get a undergrad and masters in accounting and teach it while I was in school, so my opinion might not be the best.

It really depends on how far the class is going to go. Depending on the school, some intro classes are more in depth that others. But for the most part you are going to learn about credits and debits, assets and liabilities, prepaid items, owner's equity, expenses, revenues, bonds, and maybe some other random things like intangibles. Overall, it really doesn't go deep into the concepts, for instance with a sale of inventory you will likely just use the original cost of the item for cost of goods sold, you won't get into fixed and variable costs or special order pricing, etc.

If you keep up on the material and actually learn it you should be fine. But there is a reason that accounting is one of the most failed business classes (at least where I went) because if you don't keep up and actually LEARN concepts you'll be screwed. It all builds on each other and if you don't understand one concept it's going to hurt you when you move further down the road.
      11-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Basic intro to accounting is pretty easy, but I did get a undergrad and masters in accounting and teach it while I was in school, so my opinion might not be the best.

It really depends on how far the class is going to go. Depending on the school, some intro classes are more in depth that others. But for the most part you are going to learn about credits and debits, assets and liabilities, prepaid items, owner's equity, expenses, revenues, bonds, and maybe some other random things like intangibles. Overall, it really doesn't go deep into the concepts, for instance with a sale of inventory you will likely just use the original cost of the item for cost of goods sold, you won't get into fixed and variable costs or special order pricing, etc.

If you keep up on the material and actually learn it you should be fine. But there is a reason that accounting is one of the most failed business classes (at least where I went) because if you don't keep up and actually LEARN concepts you'll be screwed. It all builds on each other and if you don't understand one concept it's going to hurt you when you move further down the road.
I did some more looking, sounds like the course is more busy work than anything.

My only worries about taking an online course is the material turning out to be entirely conceptual and hard to understand with just a text book.. Doesnt sound like that will be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
I did some more looking, sounds like the course is more busy work than anything.

My only worries about taking an online course is the material turning out to be entirely conceptual and hard to understand with just a text book.. Doesnt sound like that will be an issue.
You could argue that accounting is mostly conceptual. Most of the math involved is basic addition, multiplication, division, and subtraction. The large bulk of it is remembering what to do in each situation and what accounts it affects.
      11-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

I tired taking it online and it wasn't good for me at all. I was doing terrible in the class and had to drop it. I am taking it in the classroom now and understand it and have a 99.6% Messed up a little on my last test, previous to that I had 100% in the class.

I recommend taking in the classroom.
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

From my experience, and I've only taken a couple gen.ed type classes online, they were all busy work and bullshit, Plus, they add even more bullshit to it to make up for not having to go to the classroom. I would personally show up to a class for a couple hours a week over ever taking another online class.
Appreciate 0