E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Alberta Members Thread (#2)

04-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #177
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Guys keep me posted with cruises!
I'm in Calgary, I just my COBB unit today! I'll be installing it on Saturday. Car goes into dealer tomorrow for Dinan stage 1 suspension to work with my new H&R Lowering springs

Something is wrong with your JB4, I would post in the main engine tuning thread on these forums as there are many users that can help you out..

Could it be that your vehicle has not auto adjusted to JB4 yet? If its like Vishnu you have to do 5 back to back highway pulls up to 120MPH in order for it to adjust to your vehicle and give you max performance.

Ie, cruise along at 60K, then floor it until 220K, slow back down to 60K, floor it to 220K, and repeat 5 or 6 times.

Other then that I can't help you! I went ahead and got COBB instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #178
bigup
Random Car Person
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow M3

Garage List
I'm running on a custom map (based on map 1, but with higher boost down low) .. set to peak at 13psi .. but my boost gauge and logs are showing more like 14 psi. No apparent timing drops, but I'm no expert with this.

It felt much faster tonight .. I had a little play outside the city on some quiet roads. Still not quite where I want it to be though. Maybe it is just slow to adapt?

I think I'll plan on a dyno session soon; that's the only way to be sure of my numbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #179
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep

Where can I buy 93 octane fuel in Calgary? I'm in the N.W, Panorama???

--- PS We really need to set up a meet, I want to get to know the other BMW enthusiasts in Calgary. Possibly start a new thread?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #180
bigup
Random Car Person
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Vader View Post

--- PS We really need to set up a meet, I want to get to know the other BMW enthusiasts in Calgary. Possibly start a new thread?
Mohawk Husky sells 94 octane at various stations around the city.. but with 'up to' 10% ethanol. I've just started testing with it .. so far, it feels much better than Shell V-Power 91.

Some people say the ethanol content damages our fuel pumps, but mine still started to fail after a year running pure V-Power. I've just had it replaced under the recall program.

I still think a BMW-only cruise, out into Bragg Creek or Canmore would make for a good meet. Not sure if I have the time to organize though .. LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #181
AspenWhite335
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i AlpineWhite E92

Quote:

Go to Scenic Acres Husky close to Crowfoot station they got I think 94 but honestly I tried it on my last fill and didn't notice anything. I went back to Petro 91 feels pretty nice to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #182
AspenWhite335
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
I'm running on a custom map (based on map 1, but with higher boost down low) .. set to peak at 13psi .. but my boost gauge and logs are showing more like 14 psi. No apparent timing drops, but I'm no expert with this.

It felt much faster tonight .. I had a little play outside the city on some quiet roads. Still not quite where I want it to be though. Maybe it is just slow to adapt?

I think I'll plan on a dyno session soon; that's the only way to be sure of my numbers.
Forgot to ask but I hope you have your summers or stock RFT on because since I switched out my winters its a pretty noticeable difference in ride. A lot more go now.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #183
bigup
Random Car Person
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenWhite335 View Post
Forgot to ask but I hope you have your summers or stock RFT on because since I switched out my winters its a pretty noticeable difference in ride. A lot more go now.
Putting them on within a couple of weeks! Still on LM-60s, which are by no means best for performance testing.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #184
miguex@ecuprogram
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 M

Anyone here with a White e92 335i who tried to race with my M5 on Deerfoot (by Anderson) last weekend?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #185
bigup
Random Car Person
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguex View Post
Anyone here with a White e92 335i who tried to race with my M5 on Deerfoot (by Anderson) last weekend?
I have a white e92 335i .. but it wasn't me
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #186
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep

I would run 94 Octane because I can then run the COBB map for 93 Octane, I imagine it gives me an addional 15 - 20WHP. I would definitely notice a difference!
But, if those gas stations are far and few between, and its a hastle to allways find 93 Octane I'll just stick with my 91 Octane map.. I dont want to be stuck with filling up at a 91 octane pump, and not have my COBB AP to change maps back to 91 octane right after I gas up haha...

Has anybody seen my car cruising around the N.W? Black 335i Sedan. Tinted windows, tinted tail lights, headlights, black front grill, dropped about 3" I'll have my summer wheels on this weekend and it will really look nice!
Miguex, I'd love to race your M5 when I get my COBB tune, I am curious to see what speed you will start pulling on me and destroy me!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #187
AspenWhite335
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
Putting them on within a couple of weeks! Still on LM-60s, which are by no means best for performance testing.
Yeah wait till you have your summer set on before playing to much with it I've noticed a huge difference in performance after taking the winters off the car felt heavier and didn't roll smoothly as it does now.

Quote:
I would run 94 Octane because I can then run the COBB map for 93 Octane, I imagine it gives me an addional 15 - 20WHP. I would definitely notice a difference!
But, if those gas stations are far and few between, and its a hastle to allways find 93 Octane I'll just stick with my 91 Octane map.. I dont want to be stuck with filling up at a 91 octane pump, and not have my COBB AP to change maps back to 91 octane right after I gas up haha...

Has anybody seen my car cruising around the N.W? Black 335i Sedan. Tinted windows, tinted tail lights, headlights, black front grill, dropped about 3" I'll have my summer wheels on this weekend and it will really look nice!
Miguex, I'd love to race your M5 when I get my COBB tune, I am curious to see what speed you will start pulling on me and destroy me!

I totally forgot you had the COBB you should try it and let us know the difference. With Dinan 2 I'd say 94 is a waste of money from my experience. Now that the roads are starting get cleaned up its been a lot of fun driving once again.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #188
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep

I'm so excited to try the COBB! I will install it on Friday night or Saturday morning when the cars back from the dealership.

I threw on H&R Lowering springs, and it completey f*** my ride.. the drop is wonderful, between 2 - 3" I dont know exact, but it bounces and does not feel like a solid car any more. I'm getting the Dinan stage 1 suspension kit but with my HR springs when I go to the dealer Thur / Fri for my transmission warrenty work * Steptronic stopped working right *

I as well have had alot more fun driving my car!! However with my Nokian Hakkoppolitta's I have NOT been able to drive very hard.. I dont want them to melt.

With summers you'll notice a HUGE difference with your JB4 tune due to the fact that traction control wont be limiting your power as much.

I will definitely let everybody know how the COBB works when I get it installed, and when we can organize a mini meet or cruise on weekend I can take you guys for a spin! Thus you can decide if you want to go the COBB route.

Up until today the quickest car I have owned was my 300HP Skyline years ago, I have no Idea how hard my car is going to pull with the COBB and my AFE DCI, I'm thinking it will be ridiculous!!!

What part of the city is everybody in?
I almost think we should make some sort of FB page for Calgary BMW enthusiasts with E90 ETC so we can get a regular group together! I know I'd love to stay in touch with a few other local BMW enthusiasts so I can see how different mods work, and share experiences ETC ETC

so what does everybody do for work? How long have you owned your Bimmers for?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #189
mad villain
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm so excited to try the COBB! I will install it on Friday night or Saturday morning when the cars back from the dealership.

I threw on H&R Lowering springs, and it completey f*** my ride.. the drop is wonderful, between 2 - 3" I dont know exact, but it bounces and does not feel like a solid car any more. I'm getting the Dinan stage 1 suspension kit but with my HR springs when I go to the dealer Thur / Fri for my transmission warrenty work * Steptronic stopped working right *

I as well have had alot more fun driving my car!! However with my Nokian Hakkoppolitta's I have NOT been able to drive very hard.. I dont want them to melt.

With summers you'll notice a HUGE difference with your JB4 tune due to the fact that traction control wont be limiting your power as much.

I will definitely let everybody know how the COBB works when I get it installed, and when we can organize a mini meet or cruise on weekend I can take you guys for a spin! Thus you can decide if you want to go the COBB route.

Up until today the quickest car I have owned was my 300HP Skyline years ago, I have no Idea how hard my car is going to pull with the COBB and my AFE DCI, I'm thinking it will be ridiculous!!!

What part of the city is everybody in?
I almost think we should make some sort of FB page for Calgary BMW enthusiasts with E90 ETC so we can get a regular group together! I know I'd love to stay in touch with a few other local BMW enthusiasts so I can see how different mods work, and share experiences ETC ETC

so what does everybody do for work? How long have you owned your Bimmers for?
i would defs love to know how the COBB is....been considering it for a bit it but am pretty happy with how fast the car is rite now (only had it since december) but COBB definitely seems like a good choice cuz it looks so easy to tune and de-tune the car!

will defs have to take you up on that offer to go for a spin at the next meet!
      04-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #190
bigup
Random Car Person
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On dry roads, I always turn off the traction control .. found it far too intrusive and cut power aggressively when it didn't need to.

On wet roads .. icy roads .. well I drive it like a Toyota Prius
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #191
CalgaryX3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i / 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
I've seen ya up by the Royal Oak Walmart on Country Hills Blvd. Your car certainly looks different from the ordinary.

I also live not too far from there myself.

A
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #192
miguex@ecuprogram
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To be honest, I have raced several 335i and 135i from stock to heavily modded even with DINAN/JB4/DPS/Exhaust. My tuned M5 destroyed all them. From light to light sometimes the tuned N54 will take the lead or even until 60 to 100 km/h depending of the driver factor. From rolls at 80-100 km/h specially on Deerfoot / Stoney Trail, forget it, you will be faded out in my mirrors in seconds. haha.

Sure, if you like to race with me to test your cobb, just pm me.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #193
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep

I have not been up that way since I dropped my car! Wait till you saw it now, its so low!

- Bigup, does traction control really affect the acceleration that much? To be honest I have never really turned it off and tested it!... I only had my all seasons on for 2 months before I threw winters on anyways.

I don't know if I would turn traction and stability control off just because I don't need to melt my tires or risk spinning out and hitting anything, but DTC limited is a good option?

Up until 7 days ago, I did not even know about the DS Sport mode for my transmission and always drove it in straight auto! Thats also being fixed at the dealer as I tried it and it wasn't working right. Seems like this summer I can finally see the full potential of my car especially with the tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #194
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguex View Post
To be honest, I have raced several 335i and 135i from stock to heavily modded even with DINAN/JB4/DPS/Exhaust. My tuned M5 destroyed all them. From light to light sometimes the tuned N54 will take the lead or even until 60 to 100 km/h depending of the driver factor. From rolls at 80-100 km/h specially on Deerfoot / Stoney Trail, forget it, you will be faded out in my mirrors in seconds. haha.

Sure, if you like to race with me to test your cobb, just pm me.
Haha, yah I would't doubt it man! M5's are serious business!
I have never had a chance to drive passenger in one though, let me know if you'd be up to showing me your M5, what mods are done?

I'm seriously interested in an M5 or M6 next year if when I ride in one I feel the performance is up to par.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #195
miguex@ecuprogram
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha, yah I would't doubt it man! M5's are serious business!
I have never had a chance to drive passenger in one though, let me know if you'd be up to showing me your M5, what mods are done?

I'm seriously interested in an M5 or M6 next year if when I ride in one I feel the performance is up to par.
You are welcome to ride the M5 and show you how it performs.

Mods done: RPI Scoops, RPI Pulley, ECU tuned.

In this year I hope to get a RPI Full Exhaust and headers or the new ESS Supercharger (it is not released yet and it will debut at Mfest (California) in this May 12).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #196
bigup
Random Car Person
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I'd be careful not to pick on an E60 M5. I've experience driving them, and stock, down low .. a tuned (and well-driven) 335i might take it, but once those things get moving, they are pretty much unstoppable!

As for the DTC / DSC ... on dry roads, I hold down the button for 4 or 5 seconds to completely disable it. Just be careful on corners; the tail end goes out very easy under load .. but I find it very predictable. But be aware that you have no safety systems covering your ass if you overcook a corner.

If you have it on default mode, or DTC, and see the light flashing -- your car is cutting power and even braking, so yup .. certainly can affect acceleration. I also felt it cutting power without flashing the light. Once or twice I had it kick in so much, I almost went through the windshield. At least I know where I stand with it all turned off!

I want to go wavetrac, but I'll also wave bye bye to warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #197
E90Vader
Banned
Canada
Rep

Sounds good, I'd love to see the M5, next time we get together at a meet!

- Thanks for the info about the traction control. To be honest I would really like to find a good road to test my car with it completley off, see how the car feels, see when the rear kicks out and how to get it back under control ETC * Maybe start in a parking lot? * Once i have had experience I'll adapt and learn very quickly * Any advice on good roads?

The rest of the time I may keep Stability on but traction off, just to stop the power cut out.

Bigup and I are planning on getting together one night next week at 6 or 7 at the Canadian tire in Panorama. Weather permitting would any of you be down?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #198
CPI
403_e39
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 ///M5

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds good, I'd love to see the M5, next time we get together at a meet!

- Thanks for the info about the traction control. To be honest I would really like to find a good road to test my car with it completley off, see how the car feels, see when the rear kicks out and how to get it back under control ETC * Maybe start in a parking lot? * Once i have had experience I'll adapt and learn very quickly * Any advice on good roads?

The rest of the time I may keep Stability on but traction off, just to stop the power cut out.

Bigup and I are planning on getting together one night next week at 6 or 7 at the Canadian tire in Panorama. Weather permitting would any of you be down?
I live up by that area! I'll come. Don't have my e92 anymore but ill bring my e39.

||KWVI Coilovers||Matte Black Grille||28% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||H&S Exhaust||Exotics Tuning Lip||Slimmbones Rear Diffuser II||AngelIBright V3 Angel Eyes|| Fog light covers||UUC RK6 Shift Knob||
Appreciate 0