E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52: Clutch Upgrade suggestions?

02-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

N52: Clutch Upgrade suggestions?

The car is past the 108k miles mark and it will be going for a major service soon (100k+ maintenance). The clutch needs replacing and I'm considering upgrading to a Stage 2 kit. All I can think of is clutchmasters so far, not sure if UUC makes a kit for the N52. Do they?

Anyone have any recommendations for what kit to go with? The car will be mostly driven in the street, it won't see the track at all. Driving style is not overly aggressive, but definitely like to push 1st & 2nd gear hard... hehe

Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone? No...?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Act, Uuc Or Oem

I went OEM.
Had it done at the dealer -- result = Best Clutch has ever felt & dealer tech says it is the best he has ever driven ..... being smooth and engagement
flexibility. The CDV delete helps.
If not oem then ACT and UUC in that order
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Coupe

Can you do the CDV mod And not void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icoupe View Post
Yes, get an ice pick and stick it in the small end of the CDV then give it a whapp. A rubber and metal piece will pop out. When you look through the CDV again it will be much larger. Then reinstall the CDV. No one will know but you so warranty won't be voided.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
BMW335icoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icoupe View Post
Yes, get an ice pick and stick it in the small end of the CDV then give it a whapp. A rubber and metal piece will pop out. When you look through the CDV again it will be much larger. Then reinstall the CDV. No one will know but you so warranty won't be voided.
Ok, thanks so much!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

DO NOT GO AFTERMARKET/STAGE ___

I've had other cars where I have tried 3-4 brands of clutches and they ALWAYS make the car ride like shit. The only reason you should ever get anything other than the OEM clutch is if you have too much power for the OEM clutch.

I hate to be a negative nancy, but no one on these forums, even the SC'd N52s are making too much power for the OEM clutch. You will hate driving the car and see NO gains from a performance clutch. It will be a 100% negative move. Trust me on this one.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
DO NOT GO AFTERMARKET/STAGE ___

I've had other cars where I have tried 3-4 brands of clutches and they ALWAYS make the car ride like shit. The only reason you should ever get anything other than the OEM clutch is if you have too much power for the OEM clutch.

I hate to be a negative nancy, but no one on these forums, even the SC'd N52s are making too much power for the OEM clutch. You will hate driving the car and see NO gains from a performance clutch. It will be a 100% negative move. Trust me on this one.
agree, unless your clutch slips from too much power, no need to upgrade.

however a lightweight flywheel will improve 1st-3rd performance and throttle response. I had it on my old 1.8t gti and that thing flys on second gear, its just the flywheel chatters in neutral.

I think flywheel and clutch need to be replace at the same time, so you might consider the whole kit if you dont mind some chattering.
      02-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5988 View Post
agree, unless your clutch slips from too much power, no need to upgrade.

however a lightweight flywheel will improve 1st-3rd performance and throttle response. I had it on my old 1.8t gti and that thing flys on second gear, its just the flywheel chatters in neutral.

I think flywheel and clutch need to be replace at the same time, so you might consider the whole kit if you dont mind some chattering.

The light flywheel has 2 options. I experimented with those as well. There a slightly lighter one which allows you to rev up a bit faster, but keep in mind that means the revs drop faster as well! Kinda makes the car a bit more jerky and definitely not something I suggest.

Then there are the even LIGHTER like 9lb aluminum ones. Needless to say if this is not a 100% track driven car you would be making a huge mistake in getting one of those.

I had 2 lightened flywheels and can say without a doubt that the lighter you go the worse the car becomes as a daily driver. It is true there are VERY VERY minimal performance gains by revving up faster, but those revs drop down faster too. And there will almost certainly be flywheel chatter which IMO takes away from the solid luxury feel that we all paid so much $ for.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Whats the going rate for OEM parts for a 2006 330i clutch and flywheel? Tischer?

Aftermarket is like $1600

tlaking straight up parts. No warranty on car, no CPO just walk in and buy parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
jc5988
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
The light flywheel has 2 options. I experimented with those as well. There a slightly lighter one which allows you to rev up a bit faster, but keep in mind that means the revs drop faster as well! Kinda makes the car a bit more jerky and definitely not something I suggest.

Then there are the even LIGHTER like 9lb aluminum ones. Needless to say if this is not a 100% track driven car you would be making a huge mistake in getting one of those.

I had 2 lightened flywheels and can say without a doubt that the lighter you go the worse the car becomes as a daily driver. It is true there are VERY VERY minimal performance gains by revving up faster, but those revs drop down faster too. And there will almost certainly be flywheel chatter which IMO takes away from the solid luxury feel that we all paid so much $ for.
which flywheels have you tried so far? and do you notice any gain in 2nd or 3rd gear?

I am kinda running out of option for performance mod, thinking get the flywheel soon...
      02-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #12
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
which flywheels have you tried so far? and do you notice any gain in 2nd or 3rd gear?

I am kinda running out of option for performance mod, thinking get the flywheel soon...
A buddy of mine has an upgraded clutch and flywheel on his e46, it seems unreasonable unless you're looking to only drag race your car. The clutch chatters loud at slow speeds (I.e. getting out of the driveway and going through a drive thru etc.) It feels like you're stepping on a rock with a stage 2 clutch. The flywheel is nice to upgrade but like everyone said, it drops speed just as fast as it picks up. In a sense its like driving with a 2 way lsd where it jerks at slow speeds cuz it just wants to go lol
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #13
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
Whats the going rate for OEM parts for a 2006 330i clutch and flywheel? Tischer?

tlaking straight up parts. No warranty on car, no CPO just walk in and buy parts.
Last time I got a quote from my mechanic... $1255 (including labor) for a genuine BMW clutch. The flywheel was around $900. These were parts being ordered from local dealer though.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It was on a different car so it doesn't matter the brands, but really IMHO you should just skip the flywheel. Just because you have done the other mods, doesn't mean you should throw away lots of money on parts and labor and probably end up regretting it really fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
A buddy of mine has an upgraded clutch and flywheel on his e46, it seems unreasonable unless you're looking to only drag race your car. The clutch chatters loud at slow speeds (I.e. getting out of the driveway and going through a drive thru etc.) It feels like you're stepping on a rock with a stage 2 clutch. The flywheel is nice to upgrade but like everyone said, it drops speed just as fast as it picks up. In a sense its like driving with a 2 way lsd where it jerks at slow speeds cuz it just wants to go lol

Yup this or worse is the typical experience. Seriously unless you are DESTROYING clutches from way too much power (NO ONE HERE does this) then skip the clutch. The flywheel is less of a "car ruining experience" but its still a ton of money for what you will most likely wish you never did. All the negatives of the light flywheel aside, you would be paying over a grand just to rev up slightly faster and it would make almost no difference in any real life situations unless you have a 328i dedicated track car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Btw OP, what mods do you have right now? I think we can give you a few ideas on what's good if you let us know what you already have. Personally, if you'd want your car to be faster I recommend a ecu tune and a race exhaust, its going to be more on point and louder but worth every dime. Or if you don't have enough for both, I say a pbx and a race exhaust or atleast a muffler and resonator delet. It'll be worth your cash and they're both nice upgrades. As far as motor wise, you can go the real good way and get a new intake manifold and a dinan throttle body and some catless headers from gavin@MMW. Remove weight from your car (rear seats, trunk liner, carbon fiber hood, trunk, and fenders[front]) but that's if you really want to get into the track scene and are ready for some serious head turns . Then their are suspension items such as m3 parts(tower struts, rear camber links, BBK, etc.) I can keep going on and on but these are just a few I have in mind to give you an idea
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.

Last edited by kiwi29; 02-08-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
LemonIce
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post

+1
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
rg87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Btw OP, what mods do you have right now? I think we can give you a few ideas on what's good if you let us know what you already have. Personally, if you'd want your car to be faster I recommend a ecu tune and a race exhaust, its going to be more on point and louder but worth every dime. Or if you don't have enough for both, I say a pbx and a race exhaust or atleast a muffler and resonator delet. It'll be worth your cash and they're both nice upgrades. As far as motor wise, you can go the real good way and get a new intake manifold and a dinan throttle body and some catless headers from gavin@MMW. Remove weight from your car (rear seats, trunk liner, carbon fiber hood, trunk, and fenders[front]) but that's if you really want to get into the track scene and are ready for some serious head turns . Then their are suspension items such as m3 parts(tower struts, rear camber links, BBK, etc.) I can keep going on and on but these are just a few I have in mind to give you an idea
The car is fairly stock. Most of the mods have been cosmetic. Here's a mod list so far....

Engine: Simota CAI
Suspension: Bilstein PSS9
Ext Body: M3 rep body kit
Wheels/Brakes: Avant garde 19'', Bav Auto Cross drilled rotors

There hasn't been much mods lately to the car engine wise or anything to add more HP. This was a daily driver, and I was planning for an ECU tune & exhaust down the road, but I just recently got rid of the car. So looking for another E90 330 for a project!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #19
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg87 View Post
The car is fairly stock. Most of the mods have been cosmetic. Here's a mod list so far....

Engine: Simota CAI
Suspension: Bilstein PSS9
Ext Body: M3 rep body kit
Wheels/Brakes: Avant garde 19'', Bav Auto Cross drilled rotors

There hasn't been much mods lately to the car engine wise or anything to add more HP. This was a daily driver, and I was planning for an ECU tune & exhaust down the road, but I just recently got rid of the car. So looking for another E90 330 for a project!
If you want to see some good gains, I suggest a euro air box, straight pipe (no resonator, not cats, preferably no muffler as well[muffler delete]) but just for the average joe, I hear that the pbx is the cheap route for tuning. While it doesn't do too much as a tune would its cheap and has good resale value and you can change it while in the car with the press of a gas peddal. If you want to drive normal just start your car as you normally would and drive if you want to be a bit sportier, hold the throttle down for 3 seconds and choose an option. The combo I see a lot of people do is k&n drop in filter with a set of air scoops, muffler delete and pbx piggy back tune. If that's not enough power, go supercharged with gavin@mmw. He's a great guy and not to mention lifetime warranty on it! And there's always meth or nitrous inject if you really want power gains. But with all mods you'll pay a price. Nos will corrode your motor really fast, meth and water do the same but not as bad. Supercharger will also do the same but not as bad either. The best bet is if you want a fast car get a 335I and jb4 it or tune the sh*t outta it lol!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Clutchmasters makes a stage 1 kit that would be good for an NA engine if you want a performance upgrade. It does have an aluminum flywheel included, but it's an organic clutch so you don't have to worry about driveability with a segmented kevlar clutch (had one a long time ago, never again!)

Just an option, but more than likely stock will serve your purposes just fine.

http://clutchmasters.com/shop/?page=...c7b790f5c9c5f6
Appreciate 0