E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2011 328 transmission - different than 2007?

12-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #23
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

If you are trying to accelerate, redlining at 7k is no help, not only your lower gear will slow you down, but the torque peaks at 5k.

The fastest take off is to shift after passing 5k.

BTW nothing to do with which tranny, it is the software.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
Hou*E92
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5erman View Post
dude get over it-you have a low end gm tranny unfortunately-get on with life.
To whom is this comment directed? My 2011 328i has a ZF transmission, the GA6HP19Z. And so does the OP, it seems.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #25
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfp View Post
Quote:
dude get over it-you have a low end gm tranny unfortunately-get on with life.
To whom is this comment directed? My 2011 328i has a ZF transmission, the GA6HP19Z. And so does the OP, it seems.
How do I tell which tranny? Not that I am not happy with it, GM or ZF.

As for 5er, he is just not happy with his 5, that's all
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #26
5erman
Banned
Rep
Drives: black 5 series

Quote:
um no you dont sorry-but if you want to believe that.

and people completely wrong again spouting off information.

Shifting at 5k in this car you will never get anything out of it-you shift peak hp, not torque for one. These cars rely on high revs to get power as they dont have torque at all.

Then even once you are past peak hp-depending on how fast it trails down, you still benefit by being in a lower gear since torque transferred to the wheels is extremely dependant on which gear you are in. Example is
1st-ratio is say 4
2nd is 3
3rd is 2

(not accurate numbers just illustration-they are close enough and you can look the real ones up)

That means from gearing alone 1st gear is providing a multiplication factor of 50 percent more power and torque at the wheels compared to 2nd.

So even if you are below peak HP in 2nd gear, as long as it is not so low that the 50 percent factor doesnt make up for it, you are still putting down more power in 1st than 2nd even if you are not at your peak hp

So in these cars you are best shifting at redline for max power and acceleration

Funny if you shift at 5k all the time-guess you dont know how to drive-hope you havent had your car for years and been driving this way-that would be painfully boring

This is the most basic information and you can read it on the net if you dont wanna take my word for it-or keep shifting at 5k and enjoy yourself.

People dont understand it is torque at the WHEELs-not the engine that matter. Torque at the WHEELs is made by Engine torque timse engine RPM (speed)-which is why that is what HP equals pretty much.

So people that say torque is the only thing that matters dont know much. Our cars depend on the 7k (6.8 for me and 6.5 for your 328) plus the modest engine torque to put down that much power and turn the wheels (which is torque at the wheels.)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #27
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yes professor, now tell all the stupid dyno testers to start using the 2nd gear, rather the 4th gear (at least for our cars 3,000 lbs to 3,500 lbs) to obtain power numbers at the wheels. What have they been so stupid all these time?

On a low gear, your engine flies through the entire RPM band so fast the better designed intake and exhaust resonance your BMW engineers spent so much time to achieve, can never be useful to get the max power out of the engine. For your technique to work, you must stay on the 2nd gear long enough to maximize the designed max engine power output at the wheels, have you been doing this all the time when you launch your car from 0 to 60, doing so all in the 2nd gear from the start to finish?

I would agree when you do 0 to 60, redlining at each gear ASAP is the right thing to do, but stick to a low gear? The drag alone will kill you.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #28
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:

UM, NO. Catch a clue... your post is completely ignorant.

The sticker says transmission source = GERMANY. GM transmissions are not made in Germany. Period.

In fact, this makes a lot of sense. The 6spd AT is being phased out. Especially now that production has ended on the E83 X3... there is suddenly less need for new 6spd ATs. Legal battles with the French plant aside, production is ramping down on the 6spd anyway and they may have had a backlog of ZF trannies laying around, and/or may have decided the remaining production demand would be met by the ZF plant only.

BMW is certainly entitled to make production changes like this without a PSA...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #29
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernHero View Post
UM, NO. Catch a clue... your post is completely ignorant.

The sticker says transmission source = GERMANY. GM transmissions are not made in Germany. Period.

In fact, this makes a lot of sense. The 6spd AT is being phased out. Especially now that production has ended on the E83 X3... there is suddenly less need for new 6spd ATs. Legal battles with the French plant aside, production is ramping down on the 6spd anyway and they may have had a backlog of ZF trannies laying around, and/or may have decided the remaining production demand would be met by the ZF plant only.

BMW is certainly entitled to make production changes like this without a PSA...
Who provides the new 8spd AT?

I am not too sure about the benefit of the 8spd though, a lot of shifting if you like to use the manual mode, or do they allow you to skip gears?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #30
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Finally was able to find the window sticker of my car. It was assembled in S. Africa, both engine and tranny are German made. The bulid date is 5/10.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #31
Hou*E92
Private
Rep

Quote:
um yes. Take a look at the following link.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...id=52123&hg=24

See the part labeled "AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION GA6HP19Z"? That is a German-made ZF automatic transmission in a 328i.

In fact, if your 5-series is a 2004-2005 E60 525i or 530i, it is the same transmission you have in your car.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the only one guilty of this in this thread is you. Please do us all a favor and stop polluting this thread with your ignorance. You're embarrassing yourself and causing confusion for others.

Last edited by Hou*E92; 06-12-2011 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Toned it down
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #32
5erman
Banned
Rep

I challenge any of you to post your VIN searched realoem and you will see none of you will bring up a Zf tranny if you own a 328--you can search via vin on realoem and you will see for yourself

And clearly you lack common sense that do you not think you accelerate faster in 1st than you do in 4th? or 2nd or 3rd etc. A dyno machine is a completely different ball game. It is not measuring actual torque at the wheels literally. 1st gear the actual torque at the wheels of a car are much higher than the rated engine torque since the gears multiply torque by a factor of whatever gear ratio you have on the tranny and final drive.

When a dyno machine calculates a cars power-take a dynojet for example which simply measures F= ma. The m is the mass of the dynojet rollers and the acceleration is how fast the rollers are accelerating. (actually the mass is not the literal mass of the rollers-since that equation assumes linear mass-such as pushing a box across the florr. this is rotational mass so it is a factor of the actual mass-but for example doesnt matter)

Once the machine gets a Force from those measurements. It can calculate Work-which is Horsepower which is Force times Distance

So just a simplified example-there are many calcuations amongst these in order to achieve those values but take this
1st gear-Applies 2 timse the Force due to gear mulitplication and that causes the drum to acceleration 2 times

4th gear will apply 2 times LESS force due to less gearing advantage thus the drum will accelerate 2 times less.
F equals ma so 2F=m(2)a for 1st gear-the 2's simply negate each other
or for 4th the 1/2F=m1/2A-then the 1/2 negate and you end up with the same F=ma regardless of gear

This is why gears dont matter.

4th is used because as a 1:1 ratio it has the least parastic losses through the drivetrain because it loses less energy through having to have more parastiic losses-the fast the drive train spins-which the higher the gears-the faster the shaft spins and thus the most parasiitc losses occur. So 1st gear has much more loss through the drivetrain than 4th and thus 4th will show a slightly HIGHER power output than 1,2, 3 and 4 but it will be almost identical.

Dyno measures the estimated engine horsepower--it does not measure direct wheel Torque-as this is what changes with gear

Have some common sense-1st accelerates you faster than 5th-doesn meant the engine HP changed-but the amount of that HP that is sent to the wheels sure does because gears multiply power favorably.

That is as simple as I can describe-you can believe whatever you like-I only cared to post this for others who may read and care so they understand things and dont spew off garbage like you have
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #33
Hou*E92
Private
Rep

I didn't mention anything about gearing, acceleration, or dynos. I merely confirmed for the OP that certain MY2011 328s have ZF transmissions, including his and mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #34
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I challenge any of you to post your VIN searched realoem and you will see none of you will bring up a Zf tranny if you own a 328--you can search via vin on realoem and you will see for yourself

And clearly you lack common sense that do you not think you accelerate faster in 1st than you do in 4th? or 2nd or 3rd etc. A dyno machine is a completely different ball game. It is not measuring actual torque at the wheels literally. 1st gear the actual torque at the wheels of a car are much higher than the rated engine torque since the gears multiply torque by a factor of whatever gear ratio you have on the tranny and final drive.

When a dyno machine calculates a cars power-take a dynojet for example which simply measures F= ma. The m is the mass of the dynojet rollers and the acceleration is how fast the rollers are accelerating. (actually the mass is not the literal mass of the rollers-since that equation assumes linear mass-such as pushing a box across the florr. this is rotational mass so it is a factor of the actual mass-but for example doesnt matter)

Once the machine gets a Force from those measurements. It can calculate Work-which is Horsepower which is Force times Distance

So just a simplified example-there are many calcuations amongst these in order to achieve those values but take this
1st gear-Applies 2 timse the Force due to gear mulitplication and that causes the drum to acceleration 2 times

4th gear will apply 2 times LESS force due to less gearing advantage thus the drum will accelerate 2 times less.
F equals ma so 2F=m(2)a for 1st gear-the 2's simply negate each other
or for 4th the 1/2F=m1/2A-then the 1/2 negate and you end up with the same F=ma regardless of gear

This is why gears dont matter.

4th is used because as a 1:1 ratio it has the least parastic losses through the drivetrain because it loses less energy through having to have more parastiic losses-the fast the drive train spins-which the higher the gears-the faster the shaft spins and thus the most parasiitc losses occur. So 1st gear has much more loss through the drivetrain than 4th and thus 4th will show a slightly HIGHER power output than 1,2, 3 and 4 but it will be almost identical.

Dyno measures the estimated engine horsepower--it does not measure direct wheel Torque-as this is what changes with gear

Have some common sense-1st accelerates you faster than 5th-doesn meant the engine HP changed-but the amount of that HP that is sent to the wheels sure does because gears multiply power favorably.

That is as simple as I can describe-you can believe whatever you like-I only cared to post this for others who may read and care so they understand things and dont spew off garbage like you have
You don't have to write an article, I know the 1st gear accelerates faster than the 5th gear, no one start off the line on 4th or 5th gear. Did you get kicked out of the 5 forum or something?

People often don't start at the 1st because it flies by the full RPM so fast you must quickly switch to the 2nd, the gear change action alone wastes more time than the better acceleration of the 1st gear you gain.

BTW, what did you mean we don't have the ZF tranny when it is already pointed out to you based on the part number it is the ZF tranny? Personally I don't really care if I have a ZF or GM, but what is it that you see the need to nose in our 3 forum anyway? Your 5 lost to the 3 in the 0 to 60 contests too many times?

Last edited by dtc100; 12-04-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #35
5erman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
You don't have to write an article, I know the 1st gear accelerates faster than the 5th gear, no one start off the line on 4th or 5th gear. Did you get kicked out of the 5 forum or something?

People often don't start at the 1st because it flies by the full RPM so fast you must quickly switch to the 2nd, the gear change action alone wastes more time than the better acceleration of the 1st gear you gain.

BTW, what did you mean we don't have the ZF tranny when it is already pointed out to you based on the part number it is the ZF tranny? Personally I don't really care if I have a ZF or GM, but what is it that you see the need to nose in our 3 forum anyway? Your 5 lost to the 3 in the 0 to 60 contests too many times?
cool enjoy your GM tranny-glad you dont mind because it sucks but its cool to see someone that doesnt care-hey its a bmw!

Apparently I did have to write an article because you told me its better to shift at 5k rpm showing me you knew nothing. I could care less about you-I care for others reading this so they dont get wrong information as many people read these roums and take info at face value-which I also tend to do.

You can test for yourself-get a g timer and do a couple runs shifting "your" way and then "my" way which is redlining it in every gear-you willl see

No need to argue about something that is so readily available-its not my ideas its just the way cars work-if you dont understand it my point is just dont bother posting information that is easily refuted by using google-that is a poor arguement if someone can use google to refute you.

Enjoy your GM tranny thought-that is the topic of the thread Go GM You could have saved half your money and gotten a camaro with a better tranny!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #36
5erman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I didn't mention anything about gearing, acceleration, or dynos. I merely confirmed for the OP that certain MY2011 328s have ZF transmissions, including his and mine.
no they dont-post a VIN and prove it-you cant because they dont exist-IN europe only did they use ZF. US got GM-its not up for arguement just type in your VIN and see for yourself .. why argue about it when an answer is so easily attainable!

GM is cool--I mean just cause the Ford Focus has the same tranny it takes nothing away from your car man.. no worries
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #37
Hou*E92
Private
Rep

Quote:
no they dont-post a VIN and prove it-you cant because they dont exist-IN europe only did they use ZF. US got GM-its not up for arguement just type in your VIN and see for yourself .. why argue about it when an answer is so easily attainable!

GM is cool--I mean just cause the Ford Focus has the same tranny it takes nothing away from your car man.. no worries
Ah, didn't realize you were just trolling.

In any case, to humor you, I tried punching in my VIN, but it wasn't recognized. It's a September build, so maybe it's too new? If you manually browse 3 E92 LCI, 328i, N52, 9/10 build date, you will see the ZF tranny. Check link I posted earlier. 328i is a North American model so it's not a US vs Europe thing.

Also, as mentioned earlier, 328s with the ZF say Germany on the sticker. The GMs say France.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #38
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

So what's the problem if I have a GM tranny? Someone'd rather have a German made HPFP in his 335, even if it means spending most of his life sitting in the service department. Do you care to race your 5 with a GM Corvette or even a Camero? Why are you using the Ford Focus as an example? How about the new Mustang? Are you ready to go head to head with a new Mustang GT in your 525?

Also can't totally rely on RealOEM anyway, for the longest time I tried to find out how much is to buy an US airbox, but the RealOEM site only lists the Euro airbox for my US built 328.

Last edited by dtc100; 12-04-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #39
der_kommissar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Midnight Blue X1 xDrive28

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Let's stop feeding the troll and let him move on to the Focus forums.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #40
micah_675
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
First off, the focus is a FRONT wheel drive car. Our BMW's are rear wheel drive. It is physically IMPOSSIBLE for us to have the same tranny as any FWD car. As for the bolded words. GM does not = Ford. In fact they are 2 completely different companies owned by different entities. Going completely different directions with the whole building cars thing. As for having a GM tranny, I for one am just happy it wasn't made by Mitsubishi or Chrysler or Dodge. (by far the worst manufacturers of transmitions)

Why must you always start stuff with people. Is it because your compensating for something?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #41
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_675 View Post
Why must you always start stuff with people. Is it because your compensating for something?
He does so often with bad info too, for example he considers it a nagitive the DS mode does not go to the 6th gear on the freeway Well during freeway crusing, you use D, why use DS? Besides if you really like DS, stay on the 5th, there is really no big MPG difference anyway.

And what was he talking about not able to manually downshift until the car slows down enough? I manually downshift from time to time to brake my car, never had any issue of not able to downshift manually at any speed. The ECU kicks in only if what you are doing can damage the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #42
5erman
Banned
Rep

I can downshift at 55mph in 3rd down to 2nd even though 2nd tops out at 60. Your car wont let you downshfit to you are at 40 or less to get into second even though your gear tops out at 55-.

the ZF tranny lets you have control to shift down even if that means putting it at redline. Yours does not.

I like being able to keep DS on the whole time and when I happen to be in a place where 6th will kick in-great. It does have better mph by 3 or 4mpg.

No point in sstaying in 5th since these cars are too slow in 5th to do any passing or driving and it would require a downshift to 3rd or 4th to accelerated on the freeway which would take a depression of the pedal and it will shift down from 6th to 4th anyway.

My preferences that is all-i am glad you like yours-we are both happy.

I was simply trying to correct ignorant information about what gearing does. You actually had the thought that gearing did nothing to the wheels torque-and there is only one right answer that should be clear as day-that of course gearing amplifies torque. Now if you can understand such simplicity I am wasiting my time having any further conversation so I concede and you win.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #43
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If you need to downshift to pass on the freeway, that is your 525's problem not my 328, especially after my DIY air scoop mods (which you also laughed at), I pass cars left and right no sweat, never had to manually downshift to reach redline to pass. On the other hand the manual mode on my 328 let me redline anytime I want to. What I don't understand is why you need to downshift to reach redline all the time, maybe your 525 needs some checkup.

As far as the torque issue, I have already said if you want a 0 to 60 run, yes you need to redline at every gear, but not beginning with the 1st as you said, rather at 2nd. I can do so in manual no problem, but for daily driving, no need to redline all the time, my 328 has plenty of passing power, again you might have some problem with your 525 you need to have it checked.

Keep in mind your 525 is probably the slowest BMW one can get. If you are worried about 3 or 4 MPG, don't drive in DS, use D, better yet drive a Prius, not only will you do much better on the MPG, you can get stuck on your beloved redline all the time
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #44
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
the ZF tranny lets you have control to shift down even if that means putting it at redline. Yours does not.

I was simply trying to correct ignorant information...
NO. Only one person is being ignorant, as far as I can see. Why do you continue to ignore direct evidence that 328s are now receiving ZF transmissions?? That's what this thread is about... not your nonsensical drivel about how you perceive the GM to be inferior. YES... everyone knows the lowly 328 previously recieved GM transmissions, but that doesn't appear to be the case now.

Explain to us then, how a GM transmission can be maufactured in GERMANY. We are waiting... *tap tap*

Last edited by PostModernHero; 12-05-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0