E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Near death motorcycle accident... love life, drive safe everyone

10-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
daheechang
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 m3

Near death motorcycle accident... love life, drive safe everyone

Hello, to start out I live in Seattle Washington, where recently the weather has gotten very cold, but still clear skies suprisingly. So last night, October 27, 2007 myself, and several other of my church going buddies were volunteering at our church for a kid's haunted house we throw every year. The event was a success and we decided to reward all the young youth group volunteers by treating htem out to applebees at about 10:15. On our way to applebees, myself in my e90 330i, my buddy on his yamaha r6 and another buddy in his subaru legacy gt were in the carpool lane when we were stuck behind a truck going only 55mph in the carpool lane smh. well the subaru went first in passing him, then went the r6. while my buddy in his r6 was passing around, he had to go all teh way to far right lane to pass several cars. He was goign around 85 mph on his bike to pass the cars, but right as he was makign his move on the far right lane, an SUV decided to merge into his lane. He slammed on his front brake panicking and flipped over his bike. This is where i thank God with all my heart because ths saved his life. He flipped over his bike, landing on the black suv, breaking his fall, and bouncing off onto the shoulder of the road where he was away from on coming traffic which was very heavy. At this point, because i was still going at the 55mpg speed behind the truck, i saw all this and pulled over to the far left shoulder and just ran across the highway, not caring about oncoming traffic which by that time slowed down enough for me to cross knowing i must have been involved. My friend on his bike amazingly did not break any bones, nor have any deep cuts. just some road rash and hellish back pains, head ache and a soar neck. I dont know if many of you on this forum are religious but this is also where it gets even more miraculous. He just recently started coming to our church to change his life of previous substance abuse and wild lifestyle, and so he'd been truly trying to seek out God's grace. And found in his jacket, was a St. Christopher pendant, who we still dont know who placed it in there. St. Christopher we find out later, in our catholic faith is the saint for protection on the road and long trips. my buddy was released from teh hospital at about 4:30 am and was able to walk out himself. I truly believe this to be a miracle for him to be going at least 85 mph and crash and walk away from hospital. I thank god for having protected my friend's life and for him being alive today.

For legal matters, my friend will be cited for wreckless driving, and get this, some guy decides to pull over and report that we were street racing because he saw my two buddies pass by me at high speeds. Well, when passing by cars, you generally have to go at a respectably high speed to safely pass. Also, when this happened, i was stuck behind the truck going at 55mph and even when this happened, i parked my car behind the scene of the accident only possible if i were further behind his bike, espeicaly going at freeway speeds. So now i have to contest this in court and pay for an attorney etc. i dont understand who or why someone, especially after one of my best friends gets into an almost assuring deathly experience comes up and tells the police and writes a statement saying we were street racing. also keep in mind my car was full of young kids, one even being 9 years old, and of course i would never endanger the lives of my youth group kids. I'm infuriated by his gesture of thinking we were street racing when my friends were just passing the truck, and i was stuck behind a truck, going a constant 55mph. They even go the distance of sticking me in the back of the cop car for 45 minutes because I was accused of street racing, not cuffed however. I believe that this is illegal though, false imprisonment i think. After they clear teh scene a little bit and talk to more witnesses and about 2 hours after the accident, they take me out and tell me i'm being cited for wrecklass driving and possible racing.

This morning, after not having slept at all last night, i went to church. i prayed, and cried like i was 8 years old again. I cant get out of my mind the picture of my friend flipping over his bike. Being that close to having lost my best friend. I still cannot fathom the amount of luck and grace we recieved to have Scott breathing today.

As much as it sucks that i have to appear in court i'm honeslty just so thankful that my friend is safe and did not die or get seriously injured. Any legal advice would be much appreciated. Never fly faster than your guarding angel and always ride safe and drive safe. I hope everyone on e90post drives safely this winter season and also for your friends. God Bless.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

That's amazing that he survived the accident! Talk about divine intervention or something. Regarding the dumbass who claimed you were racing, I say you contest that BS...anyways, it's great to see that your friend is also changing his way of life for the better.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
daheechang
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank for your support and kindness. Yea i'm contesting that guy and I'm almost certain that thing will be ok. just hate going to the inconvenience for somebody who had the nerve to make one of the worst days of my life even worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

You're the second person telling me of a motorcycle accident in the past 24 hours. A person I know was in an accident last week on his motorcycle (car in middle lane cut him off). He also survived with only minor injuries...

Your friend is really lucky.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:29 AM   #5
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Glad that you guz are fine! I got be careful on riding my motorcycle now.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
its ray den
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda6s

God saved your friend, not the pendant or St Christopher.

And i hope you guys win the fight over this racing citation. that is BS and people who have nothing else to do but talk about something they don't know about should learn to shut up and mind their own business. although in NY, passing on the right is a violation, i suppose that is better than being cited for racing. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #7
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

People should forget what motorcycle is. Forever.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
That is not the way it is though. I started on a motorcycle at age 6. Rode dirt and street until about 26. That's when my older brother almost died from a lady running a stop sign. I went down a week later. Have not been on a bike since. I dream of riding, literally. I just decided never to get back on. Riding is in your blood or it isn't. Obviously you have never been on a bike or ever will.
      10-29-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
daheechang
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I dont know if motorcycles are all that bad either. i just think it's made to ride during certain times of the day as well as with a certain mentality of safety. My friend was obviously going faster than the speed limit and he knows that he can only blame himself for the accident.

I know that the pendant nor st. christopher saved him, and that it was God himself, but i do acknowledge that he must have been watching over him as his guardian angel. I dont want to debate over relgions on this post, but i do apreciate everyone's support. ride safely e90post!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

so lets see, your buddy swings across 2 or 3 lanes passing on the right, well above the speed limit and runs in to the back of someone. Just before this other people in the group pass a truck on the right (i'm guessing also above the limt) and you wonder why people thought you were street racing???

i'm glad you friend is ok, but it sounds like he made a dumb decision and got lucky.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 02:44 PM   #11
daheechang
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
so lets see, your buddy swings across 2 or 3 lanes passing on the right, well above the speed limit and runs in to the back of someone. Just before this other people in the group pass a truck on the right (i'm guessing also above the limt) and you wonder why people thought you were street racing???

i'm glad you friend is ok, but it sounds like he made a dumb decision and got lucky.
Yes he is VERY lucky, but his decision to pass is something i would have done myself, given that the truck in front of m ewas going at a constant 55mph in the carpool lane with noone in front of him. Also, i dont see how people would make the assumption that we were street racing, when the subaru went around the truck before the r6 and slowed down to a safe speed once in front of the truck. nothign out of hte ordinary as far as passing another vehicle. THe r6 did get very lucky and he was going very fast. he did make a regrettable decision but once again, he was safe in his lane, when the suv did not see him and cut him off causing him to slam his brakes and flip over.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I am glad that your friend is OK, but frankly you don't need divine intervention to understand that when you have a "bunch of young kids" in your car 55 is enough!!

Enough said.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 03:28 PM   #13
Jeepster
Thats how the cookie crumbles
Rep
Drives: 335i

Being 18 and first transportation was a 2006 Cbr600RR. Don't give me wrong bikes are fun. Friday night ill stand outside just to see the bikes fly by in groups, drooling wish I had one. So eventually I bought one 2 months before my 19th birthday. Big brother had a 2006 CBR1000RR I had the CBR600RR. Every biker knows there going to go down either way. Every week was a close call for me. It got to the point that I didn't care going to take my chances. I was the type that would run from the cops on the highway, lane split in front of traffic, and speed. One night I was riding getting ready to go in the next lane because of slow driver in a car, something told me just stay and do the speed limit. Next traffic light ahead turn red everyone slows down, the lane I was going to get into got rear ended by a female driver who wasn't paying a attention texting on her phone. Another time I was on the highway doing like 65mph getting ready to gear down and gun it down south beach. Another sign or what the heck to call it told me just turn back & go home so eventually I did. Riding home doing the speed limit dude wave me down saying I had a flat rear tire. Was riding with a buddy going down Fort Lauderdale A1A strip typical me always speeding so I gear down and did 60mph in a 35mph zone. Ahead Valet fucker parking customer car went out in the road went into another lane suddenly he cuts into my lane, I was coming up FAST 10-18 feet was the car. I always told myself don't always break try to maneuver out the way. So to my right was a small bicycle lane I cut off my left shoulder hit the rear view mirror off clean. My friend pulled up next to me me & told me to pull over. He thought I died that night.

Next month I bought a G35 and sold the bike on ebay. I knew I was going to kill myself on the bike it all depends on when. I've had more close call than that even speeding wasn't involve just doing the speed limit minding my own business.
I do miss the attention & girls hoping on the back of my bike on the weekends. Life is more important than dieing on a motorcycle. Friends begging me to sell it. Parents worried every night if ill return home.
At the end, everything happen for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
Emergency Room and Neurosurgeons don't call them "donor-cycles" for nothing.
Many organs come from Donorcycle riders.
      10-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #15
daheechang
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
I am glad that your friend is OK, but frankly you don't need divine intervention to understand that when you have a "bunch of young kids" in your car 55 is enough!!

Enough said.
i agree. i dont think you read it thoroughly enough. I was going at a constant 55 because i had kids in the car. my friend was by himself on his bike.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #16
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Right-it was my impression from reading that all three cars (you included) were getting ready to pass the 55-in-fast-lane driver when the accident occurred.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #17
isabayo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50i M Sport

I'm glad your friend is ok. The power of God truly is amazing. It is way too easy to be stupid on a bike. Within a month of getting mine I hit close to 140mph on the highway and after 2 months of riding I lost control because I got too confident going into a corner. I was lucky as well, I lost control of the bike and was heading towards oncoming traffic but I stopped sliding before it and got away with a very painful hip contusion. Thats why I'm selling my bike and my car and getting a 335i now. I'm sure I'll be able to have fun in the 335i while staying much safer.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #18
PMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daheechang View Post
He was goign around 85 mph on his bike to pass the cars, but right as he was makign his move on the far right lane, an SUV decided to merge into his lane.
I know this was posted a little while back, just ran accross your post as I was searching for something else. I hope your legal stuff is worked out and I'm glad your friend was alright. But I have to be honest that passing cars on the right on a motorcycle at night going 85 mph is pretty foolish. Those little things are hard to see, and it is worse at night and much worse when they are darting around and going extremely fast. I've been to Seattle quite a bit and I'm not familiar with any freeways with that kind of speed limit, so I suspect you were mad at a guy who was driving at around the speed limit and felt the need to pass him by going 155% of his speed.

Sorry if I seem judgemental, but I've seen two body bags next to motorcyles who passed fast on the right -- just glad this isn't a story about the third.
Appreciate 0