E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Starting A Club..

10-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #1
SanT335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 Vert

Garage List
Starting A Club..

Ive read about, seen, and watched autocross. Cars are my passion but school is my current profession. I grew up watching racing shows, car building shows, and was in the family of mechanics.
I started college two years ago, bought my 335i a year after. Im involved with a couple clubs around campus, but nothing serious.
Then i came up with it...and autocross club. Its safe (enough) the only money the school would need is cones, and some track time (local airport is used for many school events). The cars would obviously be the responsibility of the student/member. We have an SAE Formula 1, and a Formula Electric team on campus, they know about safety and can provide lessons, as far as they said.

Do you think this would appeal to other car enthusiasts? A good stress relief is always appealing. Would the school be open, or is the insurance task too large? Im open to all critique or suggestions.

This should probably go in the tracking section, but oh well this will get more views here.

For the record i go to a school in Missouri, not Mizzou fyi.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 06:49 AM   #2
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I go to the gun range for stress relief, from the stress obtained by owning an N54 lol.. But good luck with your idea, sounds like it could be fun..
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Sounds like a good idea for a club which should be fun.
However, to start a club in your school, there is an application process you have to go through to get it officially licensed or registered as a club. You’d have to talk to the leaders of those other campus clubs to find out what they did. I’m sure you will need to provide a mission statement of the club, list of officers or board of directors (Pres, VP, Sec, treas, etc.) and a sponsor/advisor which is someone who is a staff member of the school (i.e. professor, college advisor, etc.).
Once you have the club officially approved, then you need get the word out (i.e. FB, Twitter, fliers/handouts, word of mouth, etc.) and build up members which could take time.
It’s tough to do it all by yourself when you first start something like that because it’s almost like a job so you need a good base peeps who share the same passion which you can count on for assistance and support so the club can grow and keep going year after year well after you have graduated.

26 years ago I helped support/start a cultural student organization at my local university and was a member of the executive board during the inaugural year 1990/91. It was tough to recruit new student members because, at that time, we didn’t have FB or any kind social media that we have today. There were struggles in those early years, but today (26 years later) the club has grown and evolved and become a very big organization now which me and my fellow former board members are proud of.
Hopefully things will be much easier for you in this day and age.
Good luck!
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

The BMW Car Club of America has lots of autocross events and instructors. Check out your local chapter at BMWCCA.org.
      10-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
I go to the gun range for stress relief, from the stress obtained by owning an N54 lol
LOL I do the same thing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
LOL I do the same thing
Haha, nothing like squeezing the trigger to make the day more tolerable..
Appreciate 0