E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HELP WITH ER Charge pipe/Synapse BOV

01-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
TheSoCal335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

HELP WITH ER Charge pipe/Synapse BOV

Ok whats up everyone so my 335 has a er charge pipe with a synapse bov on it. i started putting my car back to stock put the stock intake back but left the Charge pipe cause i thought the dealership wouldnt notice it and they didnt but now the BOV stopped working about a week after i got it back, so i took the stock intake box off and put my dual cone intakes back on and it helped the bov work alittle better but still not 100%. So my question is whats wrong with my BOV im thinking maybe it needs to be relubed??? or do we not have to lube them.... other then that i cant think of anything else thats could be causing it. But there is some oil around the BOV tip but thats usually for turbos no? my 240 does that also and all my friends with turbod cars said its normal but idk about BMWs.... so whatever info you guys go will help thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoCal335i View Post
Ok whats up everyone so my 335 has a er charge pipe with a synapse bov on it. i started putting my car back to stock put the stock intake back but left the Charge pipe cause i thought the dealership wouldnt notice it and they didnt but now the BOV stopped working about a week after i got it back, so i took the stock intake box off and put my dual cone intakes back on and it helped the bov work alittle better but still not 100%. So my question is whats wrong with my BOV im thinking maybe it needs to be relubed??? or do we not have to lube them.... other then that i cant think of anything else thats could be causing it. But there is some oil around the BOV tip but thats usually for turbos no? my 240 does that also and all my friends with turbod cars said its normal but idk about BMWs.... so whatever info you guys go will help thanks
Did you check the vacuum lines that hook up to the BOV? Make sure they are secure...might have some pinches in the line preventing vacuum
      01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
Did you check the vacuum lines that hook up to the BOV? Make sure they are secure...might have some pinches in the line preventing vacuum
+1

Double check vacuum lines

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
TheSoCal335i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
+1

Double check vacuum lines

Mike
yes ive softly slid my hand on all 3 vaccum lines to make sure they were intact and not pinched or twisted and they all seemed fine
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

You say the bov is not working, but what exactly is the symptom? I have the er pipe with same bov. The internal preload spring has broken several times resulting in poor response and/or surging. Synapse will tell you that you can run it without a pre load spring, but in my experience that's no good and almost dangerous because the boost rises so fast when the bov finally closes. Synapse sent me a replacement spring fur free the first time it broke, then they wanted $15 the next time for 1 spring! I bought a 5-pack of better springs from mcmaster for like $7.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #6
TheSoCal335i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
You say the bov is not working, but what exactly is the symptom? I have the er pipe with same bov. The internal preload spring has broken several times resulting in poor response and/or surging. Synapse will tell you that you can run it without a pre load spring, but in my experience that's no good and almost dangerous because the boost rises so fast when the bov finally closes. Synapse sent me a replacement spring fur free the first time it broke, then they wanted $15 the next time for 1 spring! I bought a 5-pack of better springs from mcmaster for like $7.
I totally get what your saying about all the boost that builds up so fast thats why im trying to fix this before it blows my turbos or my wastegate cause thats where all the excess boost is going out instead but when boosting i can hear it spooling then when at about 4k boosting i let off the gas no surge noise when usually there was supposed to be. Then when i boost hard to 6k the bov works alittle bit but nothing like it used to is that what happened to you? and ill check into that spring part
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Not exactly what happened to me. For me, the symptom after the spring broke was when letting off the gas after building some amount of boost I would get compressor surge like "whoosh.. whoosh.. whoosh... whoosh" instead of one big "whoooooshhh". It was very noticeable when it happened after a 2-3-4 WOT pull with hard shifts. When I got home I took the BOV apart and the broken spring was obvious. For me, I think the broken spring was getting jammed sideways or something because you can run the BOV completely without a spring, but you get poor response like I described in my post above... I'd take apart the BOV and check on that spring. If it looks OK then the BOV might not be the problem as it seems pretty robust otherwise. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
tcw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

After upgrading that spring, does the BOV close now with the car at idle or is it open at idle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Not exactly what happened to me. For me, the symptom after the spring broke was when letting off the gas after building some amount of boost I would get compressor surge like "whoosh.. whoosh.. whoosh... whoosh" instead of one big "whoooooshhh". It was very noticeable when it happened after a 2-3-4 WOT pull with hard shifts. When I got home I took the BOV apart and the broken spring was obvious. For me, I think the broken spring was getting jammed sideways or something because you can run the BOV completely without a spring, but you get poor response like I described in my post above... I'd take apart the BOV and check on that spring. If it looks OK then the BOV might not be the problem as it seems pretty robust otherwise. Good luck!
2008 335I E92, AW, VFF700, 18" Forgestar F14, M3 front/side, M-tech rear, AMS IC, H&R Touring Cup Kit suspension, HID AE, ER Charge Pipe & Synapse BOV, CIC Retrofit, Quafie, DSS, Defiv Lockdown, SPEC 2+/Steel SMFW, Walbro 450
Appreciate 0