E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Fuel Injector Replaced

04-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Fuel Injector Replaced

Diesel Brothers,

My SES came on this past Friday. I figured it was EGR or SCR related like usual until I noticed a very rough idle as well as very rough revs from idle to 1200rpm. At first I was worried about my little turbo being in trouble (since I read on here someone had a small turbo replaced on theirs)

The car ran fine on the highway when it was above 1700rpm. I did notice it was prematurely downshifting and sometimes felt like it was low on power down low. Eventually the roughness went away.

My Service Advisor called me today and told me that I needed a new fuel injector. Not sure which one or if they’ll open a new one but a PUMA case has been opened so far. I should have my car tomorrow. No word on any other injectors being replaced or a fuel pump. I asked my SA to look into carbon build up as well.

I’ll keep you guys posted with all the info as I get it.

I have 42,000 miles on my d. She’s a build date October 2009 as a model year 2010.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
A few guys have had this and it's turned out being DDE related.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Can you get the code from the SA?
If the code is for "Zero Volume Adaptation", your injector is most likely NOT the problem.

Too many injectors are being blamed as a problem in these cars when they really are working fine.

I will be posting a long report on this issue as soon as I get my car back from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
DunkinV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d Carbon Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
If the code is for "Zero Volume Adaptation", your injector is most likely NOT the problem.

Too many injectors are being blamed as a problem in these cars when they really are working fine.
I agree with this. I had 6 injector replacements and many read as Zero Quantity Volume Adaptation errors. The issues cleared up when my DDE was replaced.
      04-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
A few guys have had this and it's turned out being DDE related.
Gonna ask my SA today about that when he calls me.

Quote:

I will be posting a long report on this issue as soon as I get my car back from the dealer.
I figured that much. If my injector had an issue it would run like crap all together. It ran fine on the highway when up in the RPM. it was down low and at idle it ran rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinV View Post
I agree with this. I had 6 injector replacements and many read as Zero Quantity Volume Adaptation errors. The issues cleared up when my DDE was replaced.
Just reread your thread as I have heard before on here as well that the DDE may be the issue.

I'll keep you guys posted!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

The DDE software errors were discovered sometime is 2010 for the Zero Volume Adaptation at Min. I would be surprised if your DDE wasn't replaced or updated yet for this fix...

So if the DDE fix does not do it, insist them to inspect the cylinder head for excessive soot + tar build up.

Tell them to also run injector tests to verify injector is functioning to spec.

First confirm the code(s) is for Zero Volume Adaptation at Min.

Attached is the SIB for the DDE software issue. I'm not sure if it is the latest SIB...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SIB 13 07 10.pdf (154.0 KB, 2336 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
chau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had an SES light come on at 48,xxx miles. Turned out to be injector 1 fault. The code was cleared and I drove 1000 miles without the SES coming back. Still, I took it in and told the service advisor what the issue was. They went ahead and replaced my injector with no code stored and SES light at the time of service. It just sucks that dealerships don't carry diesel parts in stock and you usually have to wait 2-3 days before getting the car back.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

On my car, injector #2 keep failing. On the 3th time, they updated the software and did not replace the injector. So far, so good.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got my car back today and boy does it feel good to be back in a real car. I had a bare bones 328i loaner. No premium, no sport, NOTHING and the MSRP was $39,500. I cannot understand how someone would spend that much money on such a piece of garbage. It rides nice, it's quiet, smooth but it was no sport whatsoever. The ride is VERY bouncy and it understeers all day. It's very bad. The engine did impress me. Lots of power especially at redline. It doesn't fall off at all, no lag. One of the best turbo 4 units I've experienced. Better than Audi/VW's turbo 4. I drove the hell out of it and still got about 29mpg which is impressive. It is a quick little car in the straight line for sure.

Now to the news about my car. Injector #2 was replaced for a fault code of 4AE6 stored in the DDE. The injector test did indeed result in Zero Volume Adaptation at Min as stated by others on here.

What's interesting is the pdf that 135i_vs posted.

"When driving downhill (coasting off-throttle) at higher altitudes (above 3,300 feet) with cold external temperatures, the "MIL" or Service Engine Soon lamp comes on. The engine idle quality may then be somewhat erratic."

March 24th, about a week before the SES came on, I was skiing in Vermont which would constitute the altitude and cold external temperature....as well as a lot of coasting downhill....

I guess we'll see if this continues to happen or not.

I'm glad to be back in the D. I missed her a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Diesel View Post
I drove the hell out of it and still got about 29mpg which is impressive.

Now to the news about my car. Injector #2 was replaced for a fault code of 4AE6 stored in the DDE. The injector test did indeed result in Zero Volume Adaptation at Min as stated by others on here.

I guess we'll see if this continues to happen or not.
I haven't been able to get over 21-22MPG out of the N20 motor (Had a loaner 328 x-drive for 1 month, had another 328 x-drive for another month, now have an X1 over a month). My driving is about 61 miles a day, city+highway mixed.

Let us know how it goes...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Deed
Rep

Guys

I traded my d in last December and miss it every day. I have been keeping up with this forum hoping for a conclusive fix to the injector/carbon/dde issues. I will buy another one as own as I am confident these cars will handle high mileage.

This thread triggered something that may help others. Of my multiple injector failures (cant remember how many now), at least half through a mil and went into limp mode while going downhill, coasting, at high altitude and cold temps. Seems like a strange coincidence...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deed View Post
Guys

I traded my d in last December and miss it every day. I have been keeping up with this forum hoping for a conclusive fix to the injector/carbon/dde issues. I will buy another one as own as I am confident these cars will handle high mileage.

This thread triggered something that may help others. Of my multiple injector failures (cant remember how many now), at least half through a mil and went into limp mode while going downhill, coasting, at high altitude and cold temps. Seems like a strange coincidence...
Maybe you'll have a better experience with the new line of diesels that are going to be released soon, especially the 535d.

What are you driving now?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
Deed
Rep

Really hoping for a permanent fix for the 335d. I drive about 80k a year and don't want to buy new as depreciation is brutal.

I did buy a new car in December though and it was a significant departure for me...a GTI. Drove a TDI Touareg for a couple of years and it was great, but only averaged about 25 mpg (don't believe other numbers you hear). The TDI VW 4 bangers are absolute dogs...I don't care what anyone says.

When the weather is good, traffic is light, and the roads are twisty, the GTI is a great little car. Clearly, it is no substitute for the 335 however and I don't anticipate keeping it long. MPGs are rated at 33 but my all highway avg is barely 29. Worst yet it is still quite slow compared to most everything else I have ever owned.

If VW does bring the rumored GTD over...that might be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deed View Post
Really hoping for a permanent fix for the 335d. I drive about 80k a year and don't want to buy new as depreciation is brutal.

I did buy a new car in December though and it was a significant departure for me...a GTI. Drove a TDI Touareg for a couple of years and it was great, but only averaged about 25 mpg (don't believe other numbers you hear). The TDI VW 4 bangers are absolute dogs...I don't care what anyone says.

When the weather is good, traffic is light, and the roads are twisty, the GTI is a great little car. Clearly, it is no substitute for the 335 however and I don't anticipate keeping it long. MPGs are rated at 33 but my all highway avg is barely 29. Worst yet it is still quite slow compared to most everything else I have ever owned.

If VW does bring the rumored GTD over...that might be interesting.
Holy moly that's a lot of driving! I should stop whining about my 50 mile daily work commute in brutal LA traffic.

I hear nothing but good things about the GTI but not much good things about VW, especially their reliability record.

I'm looking forward for the GTD to come to the land of the free someday but I'm more looking forward to a true 335d successor. A 1-series diesel would be even more awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
The DDE software errors were discovered sometime is 2010 for the Zero Volume Adaptation at Min. I would be surprised if your DDE wasn't replaced or updated yet for this fix...

So if the DDE fix does not do it, insist them to inspect the cylinder head for excessive soot + tar build up.

Tell them to also run injector tests to verify injector is functioning to spec.

First confirm the code(s) is for Zero Volume Adaptation at Min.

Attached is the SIB for the DDE software issue. I'm not sure if it is the latest SIB...
Thanks for the info. Performance BMW Chapel Hill, NC states this is not covered under my BMW Gold Warranty Package. I have 80k. What are my options. Invoice attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf not_covered_BMW_Performance.pdf (288.5 KB, 218 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
Atlas1
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW 335d

I have this zero quantity adaptation thing. My car has been in 4 times in 6 months. Injectors replaced multiple times. Now my car is back in the shop and I'm waiting for a new cylinder head to come in. I have a damn 328i that shuts off at stop lights and it's 100 degrees here!

This is depressing.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1 View Post
I have a damn 328i that shuts off at stop lights and it's 100 degrees here!

This is depressing.
You can turn off the start/stop function you know. I know I was also depressed with a F30 328i loaner.

100 degrees huh? We'll be hittin' the triple-digit temperatures over here real soon except we won't have the humidity like y'all do in the South!
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1
I have this zero quantity adaptation thing. My car has been in 4 times in 6 months. Injectors replaced multiple times. Now my car is back in the shop and I'm waiting for a new cylinder head to come in. I have a damn 328i that shuts off at stop lights and it's 100 degrees here!

This is depressing.
No way that it is the injectors after multiple changes. DDE for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #19
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Now I have 46,000 miles and 3 months later, my SES came on during a long road trip on the way home. Appears to be the same as last time. Rough idle down low, feels like i have less power.

Car still managed 33mpg and runs fine up top (a bit more turbo lag, feels a bit slower)

Gonna set up an appointment and see whats up.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

2 things, you better get the extended warranty lol
and get that dde replaced, the chances of an injector failing with that few miles are pretty low
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas1 View Post

This is depressing.
Contact BMW Customer Relations. For some reason, they think i'm the only one with this issue. Anyone know how to verify if PuMA cases exist for this 335d issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got my car back. They had it for almost a week. Same Fuel Injector went out with the zero adaptation fault. They replaced that injector again and this time they re-calibrated/reprogrammed the DDE. Did a software update on it to make sure everything is up to date and good to go.

Lets see how she holds up.
Appreciate 0