E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Proper Detail

08-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
dsimoes1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325i Sport package

Proper Detail

Can I get a step by step on detailing. Ill show you the steps tell me if im missing a step. I have a black car also need to remove swirls and a few screeches
-Wash the car
-Clay bar
-Compound
-Wax
Is that it or am i missing a step?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
I do not want to be a sticky police but I was in the same position as you last week and found that the sticky on the top of this sub-forum contains a whole crapton of information that answered a lot of my questions.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

Check it out. It gives you a play by play. I went and bought all of the mats online and am going to tackle this job this weekend. I also have a black BMW so it's going to be a pretty fun experience, haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Decontaminate (both above and sub-surface) the paintwork and then use a polish to remove scratches, bird stains, water marks, swirl marks, machine buffer marks, and holograms, cob- webbing and micro-marring and restore the paintwork to its original colour if it has faded. Once the paint surface is smooth and level it will enable proper light reflection.

Paint renovation detailers need to control the amount of paint being removed from a vehicle. An electronic paint thickness gauge (PTG) can be used to identify areas of thin paint or determine the depth of paint damage. With this knowledge, you'll know what areas of the vehicle to avoid or where to tread gently when removing imperfections

1. Wash
2. Detailer’s clay (surface contaminants) and then light wash / rinse or
a) Chemical Paint Cleaner
3. Paint Decontamination (below surface contaminants) and then light wash with an alkaline (pH 9) wash concentrate
4. Dry paint surfaces
5. Tape protection (edges, emblems, panel edges, etc)
6. Check paint thickness (PTG) if not within ‘safe’ parameters use a Glaze and then proceed to 10
7. Test Panel Process, dependent upon results proceed to (a) ( b) or (c)

a) Compound
b) Polish
c) Wet-sand

8. Paint inspection wipe down
9. Final polish
10. Apply paint protection

Within these articles you’ll discover the ‘How’ and ‘Why’ and find pretty much everything you need to know about detailing; if you do your research correctly. TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html
Appreciate 0