E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > E90 Xenon Retrofit in place of Halogen.

08-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
undermine
UnderminE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

E90 Xenon Retrofit in place of Halogen.

This isn't an exact write up but if anyone needs any help with a retrofit on an E90, I can offer insight of how to get it done successfully. Finally reset my password my 2015, 435M Gran Couple arrives at the dealer on Monday, Tuesday finally!

The 2011 e90 3-series was a great car, it will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah1
Hi, I read your post about coding for xenon retrofit,

Basically I have a e90 lci uk car,
This has halogen headlights at the moment I have bought some bi xenon lci headlights, but I'm not sure what I need to connect this to the car I I have seen bmw wiring harness listed in the bmw retrofit guide I can buy but not sure it will fit my lci car??
Also I don't know if I need a new form module or not
Any ideas on these mate?

Thanks Leah
Sorry for the delayed response, I have been very busy and finally got my password reset. I just bought a 435M Gran Coupe in the final stage of shipment from Germany, will receive it Monday, Tuesday, after waiting a few weeks!

To answer your question, yes you will need a harness, it can be made, it's not very hard, if you don't care about money then buy it, I can find out the cost for you if you need and have it shipped, it might be cheaper locally, I can also provide the diagram, there are retrofit PDF's on the internet that you can find, I can also email it to you.

Here is your list of required material.

Harness, (can be made or bought)

FRM3 Max Brose (provides AHL and Adaptive)

Level Sensors front and rear

Of course the complete headlamps themselves with Ballast, Bulbs, LED, and SMC.

You will need Tool32 to code your VIN to the FRM3 Max Brose, after that then you will need NCSExpert to update your VO, (Vehicle Order) with the appropriate codes, $522.

If you're going to take this on it becomes a project if you make it one. You can do a lot of this work as preparation, like make or purchase then install the harness, purchase the FRM3 Max Brose, once the harness is installed and you have a new FRM you can then install the FRM and proceed to coding as long as you have a laptop setup with BMW Standard Tools and can connect to your car. Get the laptop test connectivity before anything and most important, make a (BACK UP) before you write anything so if you screw up you can load the file back onto your car.

Also BMW modules communicate with each other, the following modules, NFRM, FRM, CAS, (FRM) I believe is your original settings, I can't remember it's been a while but.

You will code your updates/modifcations to NFRM and CAS, must be coded to two modules for it to update. When you read from a module with NCSExpert it will produce a .TRC file, this is what you edit, save as TRC and MAN, when TRC and MAN files match you can successfully upload, if they don't match it can throw an error. There are methods to follow if you haven't done this so if you have a question ask, there are a lot of knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0