Bimmerpost for iPhone and Android have just been updated with a host of bug fixes. If you've ever had trouble logging into it in the past, give it a try now!

E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i warm up!! How long should it take

01-10-2018, 02:06 AM   #23
46m3csl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Its your thermostat , its stuck open . Had it happen to me as well , having the same problems now. Just change,your t stat
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:53 AM   #24
unrulyteach
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by my335bmwXdinan View Post
My 335 oil be taking forever man... shitty part of owning one I think. Like you said sometimes 15-mins has passed or 15 miles ..plenty heat/warm coolant.. and I'm still rocking like 170 or less. When I switched to Liquid moly oil it took less time..very noticeable. What does/did ur 335 get up to at its avg temp? Has/did urs every go warmer than usual.. The manual says 210 is optimal and also gives a range around 210... but my whip has like neverrrr gone higher than 220-225 which was literally once when my belt tensioner decided to require maintenance while owning a brand new m4 on this major curve in the freeway ..lol on I-94 ;(.. m4 boy had madddd straight away speed tho. He certainly drove right past me just after that corner.

Anyway, maybe you don't own it anymore.. or not around. I didn't see the date of ur message. However, if you, OR ANYONE, can let me know what ur avg oil temp e90/92 335i is. I don't mean those bad weeks/months when check engine light is Fcking with you either or emissions issues etc. But when you feel it is running really well. usually happens in 3-6 month intervals wit bimmer ;(.

Bmw emphasizes the urgent need to seek a professional when your oil temp climbs above that range even once. I cant remember what upp the high end was... I think optimal range is 200-230. My beast won't touch 230 unless something catastrophic goes down. Is this true for others?? I know issues and climate will skew the avg a bit but again when u feel ur car is running well...whats the normal oil temp. 230 is high affff to me but u?

good look!!

Bryan
e92 335xi coupe Weiss
e60 525i Schwartz
e39 525i Sterlinggrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1-10 View Post
I purchased my 335i back in September. Ever since the perches I've notice that the car takes a long time to warm up compared to other cars I've owned. Well here in the northeast the weather has turned colder, around 30F-40F. I was driving the other night and even after 15 minutes it wasn't at resting point.. Is that normal?
That's normal temp for normal weather but not summer. My oil temp be damn near close to 250
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:44 AM   #25
jeddo45
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by my335bmwXdinan View Post
My 335 oil be taking forever man... shitty part of owning one I think. Like you said sometimes 15-mins has passed or 15 miles ..plenty heat/warm coolant.. and I'm still rocking like 170 or less. When I switched to Liquid moly oil it took less time..very noticeable. What does/did ur 335 get up to at its avg temp? Has/did urs every go warmer than usual.. The manual says 210 is optimal and also gives a range around 210... but my whip has like neverrrr gone higher than 220-225 which was literally once when my belt tensioner decided to require maintenance while owning a brand new m4 on this major curve in the freeway ..lol on I-94 ;(.. m4 boy had madddd straight away speed tho. He certainly drove right past me just after that corner.

Anyway, maybe you don't own it anymore.. or not around. I didn't see the date of ur message. However, if you, OR ANYONE, can let me know what ur avg oil temp e90/92 335i is. I don't mean those bad weeks/months when check engine light is Fcking with you either or emissions issues etc. But when you feel it is running really well. usually happens in 3-6 month intervals wit bimmer ;(.

Bmw emphasizes the urgent need to seek a professional when your oil temp climbs above that range even once. I cant remember what upp the high end was... I think optimal range is 200-230. My beast won't touch 230 unless something catastrophic goes down. Is this true for others?? I know issues and climate will skew the avg a bit but again when u feel ur car is running well...whats the normal oil temp. 230 is high affff to me but u?

good look!!

Bryan
e92 335xi coupe Weiss
e60 525i Schwartz
e39 525i Sterlinggrau
My oil starts warming up after about 3 miles of regular driving. When I'm hammering her in sport/manual mode, 250 easy. Never gone higher than that. I do have a stage 2+ tune as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:12 AM   #26
Alloyed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 N55

My 335i (xDrive, automatic) takes perhaps 15 minutes of driving to reach a stable temp.

When it's freezing outside, and after extended driving, it settles around 230-240F according to the gauge.

On a hot day (100F) I have seen it hit 250F on the gauge. If I had a heavier foot, perhaps it would go even higher, but 250ish is the highest I have ever seen it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #27
Tim_354841
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan (N55)

You can access the coolant temp in the “secret menu” without special equipment- just a few button presses. Low risk and easy to do.

There are YouTube videos, but here’s a recap

Three main steps:
1: Access the menu & calculate your unlock code
2: Unlock the hidden menus
3: Select the coolant temp menu

Three basic commands:
- Very Long Press to access the menu
Once inside:
- Short press to move between items inside a category
- Long press to move the selection to the categories, then short presses to move between categories

Part 1: Access the menu & calculate your unlock code

Note: Your unlock code is the last 5 numbers of your VIN added together (insurance card, etc)

1.1 Hold the trip computer button down for about 20 seconds
- Trip odo resets to zero, then returns to the original number (keep holding)
- Yellow triangle is displayed (keep holding)
- Next maintenance is displayed (keep holding)
- 01.___ is displayed ("___" indicates the category menu is selected). Let go at this time
- 01.01 is displayed (selection is now inside the category)
- Your VIN is displayed here

1.2 Add the last 5 digits to for your unlock code

Part 2: Unlock the hidden menus

Once in the "long press" menu (above steps)

2.1 Hold the button down for a few seconds until 01.___ is displayed

2.2 Press the button (short press) until you reach menu 19.___

2.3 Wait a second for LOCK to appear, then "Code 00"

2.4 Press the button (short press) until your unlock code is displayed

2.5 When accepted, you will be returned to the 01.___ category

Part 3: Select the coolant temp menu

3.1 Hold the button down for a few seconds until 01.___ is displayed

3.2 Press the button (short press) until you reach menu 7.___

3.3 Wait for the menu 7. information to be displayed

Notes
- Temperature is in C
- Cannot enter the menu while the car is moving
- Most of the category names are hidden and locked when you first enter the system
- If you access a category name before the unlock procedure, the secret menu will be closed, and you will have to re-do the long press to gain access again (starting over)
- To exit the menu after unlock, turn off the car
- Once you've done this a few times, it's pretty easy to do

Last edited by Tim_354841; 01-10-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #28
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Yeah it takes about 15 minutes of light driving or about 10 minutes of moderate to heavy driving for the oil to reach operating temps.

A bit quicker in the summer but yeah it takes some time to warm up in thee winter.

It's normal
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #29
Lifelike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Owner's manual says it's better to just drive the car to get it to warm up rather than letting it idle. As for oil temp I'm not sure, I'd start it up and just drive and go easy on it for a while.

Maybe you don't want your oil too hot if it doesn't need to be?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #30
asiflicious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 6AT 135i

You guys are nuts lol
Appreciate 0