Bimmerpost for iPhone and Android have just been updated with a host of bug fixes. If you've ever had trouble logging into it in the past, give it a try now!

E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Possible? Muffler delete with valve control?

01-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
Spongeb0bRoundPants
spicy nacho
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
Possible? Muffler delete with valve control?

Hey, i was thinking about doing a muffler delete on the left side only, so that I can still turn the valve on and off. Is this possible? Or will removing the muffler also remove the valve? I'm new to this kind of stuff, so sorry for so many questions, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #2
Makeuwunder
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Removing the muffler removes the valve. The valve is only closed during cold start and once the car warms up it opens. I guess you could cut half off and plug the cross pipe but I personally think it would sound like crap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
Spongeb0bRoundPants
spicy nacho
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeuwunder View Post
Removing the muffler removes the valve. The valve is only closed during cold start and once the car warms up it opens. I guess you could cut half off and plug the cross pipe but I personally think it would sound like crap.
Thanks for the info! I don't think I'll cut it in half if it's gonna sound like shit lol. How much louder is a muffler delete in just one side? I've been watching many YouTube videos, but I honestly can't tell from those.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 11:46 PM   #4
Makeuwunder
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

To me a straight muffler delete without resonators is pretty loud and has lots of drone but others do not mind a muffler delete. It is all about what you like. I have super 10s on mine and the drone drives me nuts to where I'm thinking of going back to my P.E. Modded muffler which sounded pretty good.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #5
Spongeb0bRoundPants
spicy nacho
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeuwunder View Post
To me a straight muffler delete without resonators is pretty loud and has lots of drone but others do not mind a muffler delete. It is all about what you like. I have super 10s on mine and the drone drives me nuts to where I'm thinking of going back to my P.E. Modded muffler which sounded pretty good.
Just looked up the P.E mod. I think I might go that way as well. Do you know how much louder the modded exhaust is than the standard n54 335i? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #6
Makeuwunder
Second Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep

It is louder but in a good way. It has a nice tone to it and it does not have any drone. Look at it this way, P.E. Mod is like a nice rock bass and muffler delete is like heavy rap bass and stock is like kids music. The P.E. Mod is also a good starting point. If it's not loud enough for you, you can always chop it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
Shotputted
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i Le Mans Blue

You can keep the valve if you cut the tips off including the valve and then weld it to the straight pipes. My car had a muffler delete set up this way when I bought it and having the valve engaged made cold start and low rpm cruising a little more civil sounding. It was a noticeable difference and sounded quite a bit better than when the valve was disengaged. I did notice that there was some rattling of the valve, either due to the valve getting old or the higher pressure exhaust overwhelming the valve because of the absence of the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
RGP-N54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i e92

I like my muffler delete, it's an affordable nice sound. Nothing amazing or top of the line but it's good for the price. Maybe resonators in exchange for cats might make it sound nicer.
Appreciate 0