E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > how often do you add oil



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #23
hassmaschine
Brigadier General
United_States
1090
Rep
4,219
Posts

Drives: "NBO" 330i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

yeah but we never had a 2.5l here. the 325i is still a N52B30.

I think Canada got the 2.5l but they call it a 323i.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #24
avin83
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2006 323i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Aren't the 325 2.5L known to burn oil?

I have a 328, 3.0L with 100,000 km burns zero oil so far.

http://mywikimotors.com/n52b25/

1. The most common problem in N52B25 is high level of motor oil consumption. This is due to thin oil rings which are carbonized rather fast. At the same time valve stem seals goes out of order rather often. Such problems may occur even after 100,000 km (~60 000 miles) of mileage. The only solution to this problem is replacement of damaged components.
New N52NB25 version did not have such problems. It was firstly introduced in 2007 and has black cap.
Interesting. My car has N52B25(2.5L I6) and I like to know more about "thin oil rings" which might be the reason of high oil consumption. I have fixed OPG, VCG and OFHG in the last 2 years... no oil leaks but burns oil every 2000-2500km.

Also, the wiki from the link mentions:

"If you do not solve the problem of oil consumption as soon as possible, it may result in polluted catalysts. It will lead to additional costs of their replacement. Catbeck may turn out to be a good alternative to catalyst."

Not sure what catbeck means

Last edited by avin83; 01-04-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #25
mecheng77
Second Lieutenant
mecheng77's Avatar
28
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i JBlk , Volvo S70 T5
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
yeah but we never had a 2.5l here. the 325i is still a N52B30.

I think Canada got the 2.5l but they call it a 323i.
We had both the 323i and 325i in 2006. In 2007, they got rid of the 325i and upgraded the HP of the 323i from 175hp to 201hp. Basically in Canada, avoid the 2006 models 2.5L, due to low power or oil burning.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #26
mecheng77
Second Lieutenant
mecheng77's Avatar
28
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i JBlk , Volvo S70 T5
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avin83 View Post
Interesting. My car has N52B25(2.5L I6) and I like to know more about "thin oil rings" which might be the reason of high oil consumption. I have fixed OPG, VCG and OFHG in the last 2 years... no oil leaks but burns oil every 2000-2500km.

Also, the wiki from the link mentions:

"If you do not solve the problem of oil consumption as soon as possible, it may result in polluted catalysts. It will lead to additional costs of their replacement. Catbeck may turn out to be a good alternative to catalyst."

Not sure what catbeck means
Do you have a grey or black valve cover?

The solution is not what you want to hear, rebuild engine with new rings. I would just switch to a thicker oil. I had a Prelude VTEC which burned oil like crazy even though it never produced any smoke. I just learned to add cheap thick oil every 2nd gas fill; drove great.

Are they trying to say Cat Back exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #27
avin83
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2006 323i
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Do you have a grey or black valve cover?

The solution is not what you want to hear, rebuild engine with new rings. I would just switch to a thicker oil. I had a Prelude VTEC which burned oil like crazy even though it never produced any smoke. I just learned to add cheap thick oil every 2nd gas fill; drove great.

Are they trying to say Cat Back exhaust?
It's a 2006 model - gray valve cover. Lower horsepower compared to 2007+ 323i model... but 2006 323i has ZF tranny.

Anyways, I changed from 5w30 to 0w40 oil but still burns oil every 2000-2500km. Obviously I don't want to rebuild engine at this point... not sure if there anything I should do anything since I don't see any smoke or noticeable driving issues for 1.5 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #28
jt335i
Captain
jt335i's Avatar
113
Rep
971
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Bought my 2010 E92 335i brand new and I change oil once a year. As of today, 1/4/2018 @ 95,300+ miles, not once have I had to add oil due a low oil notification.
__________________
2010 BMW 335i: Monaco blue metallic/Premium+Sport Auto-Steptronic, BMW PE, Cobb Stage 2
2005 Mustang GT: Redfire metallic/5-spd/Ford Racing (Axle backs, silver Bullitt wheels)/K&N CAI/ Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
1997 Toyota Corolla
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #29
hassmaschine
Brigadier General
United_States
1090
Rep
4,219
Posts

Drives: "NBO" 330i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
We had both the 323i and 325i in 2006. In 2007, they got rid of the 325i and upgraded the HP of the 323i from 175hp to 201hp. Basically in Canada, avoid the 2006 models 2.5L, due to low power or oil burning.
yes, but your 325i was an N52B30 just like ours. I know, because I bought one from Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #30
gT-BMW
Private
United_States
6
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 06' 325i 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

well i just added a another quart because the low oil light came on and then i added lucus oil stabilizer,pour all of it in there. So guess well see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #31
Chappers 71
Colonel
Chappers 71's Avatar
United Kingdom
947
Rep
2,545
Posts

Drives: E92 335i SE
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Depends how hard you drive it. Have had my 335i for 5 1/2 years & over that time 1 litre top ups have consistently been between 1700/3400 miles dependant upon how much of a spanking I give it
__________________
E92 335i SE
E36 328i sport coupe
E39 540i 6SP manual
E34 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc '67 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #32
mecheng77
Second Lieutenant
mecheng77's Avatar
28
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i JBlk , Volvo S70 T5
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
yes, but your 325i was an N52B30 just like ours. I know, because I bought one from Canada.
You came all the way up from Florida? Are you an expat or snowbird?

According to this website the 325 is a 2.5L


http://bmwserieshistory.blogspot.ca/...es-e90_26.html
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #33
Pladi
Private First Class
18
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Depends how hard you drive it. Have had my 335i for 5 1/2 years & over that time 1 litre top ups have consistently been between 1700/3400 miles dependant upon how much of a spanking I give it
This is very true. You lose more oil the harder you drive it. This has to do with the crankcase pressure and ventilation. This is more true with turbo cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #34
hassmaschine
Brigadier General
United_States
1090
Rep
4,219
Posts

Drives: "NBO" 330i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
You came all the way up from Florida? Are you an expat or snowbird?

According to this website the 325 is a 2.5L


http://bmwserieshistory.blogspot.ca/...es-e90_26.html
I don't live in florida?

that site is also wrong, we definitely never had a 2.5l 325i in the US or Canada. the US and CA 325i's are the same car. This is easily confirmed in the ETK database, not worth arguing further.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #35
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
2744
Rep
10,202
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
Neither. I have 325i

7 quarts. the dash oil level didnt even read max level but it was close.
The reason I asked was some people will fill the engine with less than 7 quarts and when the CBS shows 1 quart low sometime soon into the new oil fill, it because they didn't start off with a full 7 quarts in the sump. On a side note, you may have checked the oil right after the oil change, and the CBS gave you the previous oil level reading. It doesn't update right away, but if the engine is still warm from the pre-oil change warm up, the e-dipstick shows the last known oil level.

Anyway, that oil consumption seems a bit high. My '06 325i when it was new used a quart in 16,000 miles. The first oil change was at 17,000. Since new the engine slowly started using more oil between oil changes. It started out as 1 quart between 15,000 OCIs (i.e it was 1 quart low at the oil change), then got to 1 quart every 12,000 miles or so. Now at 300,000+ miles it uses 1 liter per 3,200 miles.

Maybe the PCV system on you engine needs to be looked at. I plan on replacing all the parts of the system on my car here soon, as I'm going to replace the starter in a few weeks. Since the IM will be out and the PCV system basically crumbles to pieces once you touch it...
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #36
mecheng77
Second Lieutenant
mecheng77's Avatar
28
Rep
220
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i JBlk , Volvo S70 T5
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I don't live in florida?

that site is also wrong, we definitely never had a 2.5l 325i in the US or Canada. the US and CA 325i's are the same car. This is easily confirmed in the ETK database, not worth arguing further.
I don't argue, I discuss. Interesting info.

What model years did the US have the 325i? Was
It 215hp? It was only available in Cdn market
For 2006.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #37
gT-BMW
Private
United_States
6
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 06' 325i 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The reason I asked was some people will fill the engine with less than 7 quarts and when the CBS shows 1 quart low sometime soon into the new oil fill, it because they didn't start off with a full 7 quarts in the sump. On a side note, you may have checked the oil right after the oil change, and the CBS gave you the previous oil level reading. It doesn't update right away, but if the engine is still warm from the pre-oil change warm up, the e-dipstick shows the last known oil level.

Anyway, that oil consumption seems a bit high. My '06 325i when it was new used a quart in 16,000 miles. The first oil change was at 17,000. Since new the engine slowly started using more oil between oil changes. It started out as 1 quart between 15,000 OCIs (i.e it was 1 quart low at the oil change), then got to 1 quart every 12,000 miles or so. Now at 300,000+ miles it uses 1 liter per 3,200 miles.

Maybe the PCV system on you engine needs to be looked at. I plan on replacing all the parts of the system on my car here soon, as I'm going to replace the starter in a few weeks. Since the IM will be out and the PCV system basically crumbles to pieces once you touch it...
yes i agree, im starting to think its an ccv problem. the other day i got p0171 and havnt driven the car since. Ive been driving my trusty old honda. The bmw was suppose to replace that. anyways I ordered a smoke machine so i can find out if i have a vaccum leak. I'm pretty sure its going to lead me to a ccv hose since over time they do get brittle and crack.

If the smoke test does lead to a ccv hose, i'll want to replace everything concerning the ccv, the oil seperator including that little mesh thing thats integrated in the valve cover. from what ive been reading, that too can also deform and that i'll have to replace the valve cover to fix that. is there a way to replace that one thing?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #38
CTinline-six
Winning
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
775
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: 2000 Jeep XJ, 2006 BMW 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Change every 10,000 and it usually reminds me to add a quart over that period of time. Slight oil pan seep. Castrol Edge Euro 0w40.
__________________
Josh
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #39
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Bob Shiftright's Avatar
21
Rep
419
Posts

Drives: E91 Schleppwagen
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PRNJ

iTrader: (0)

Randomly, 1/2 a quart over the last 10 years. Hasn't happened since I began using a BMW specialty shop vs the dealer.

The pattern makes me think that the car wasn't always filled completely after every oil change. Without a dipstick...

(THANK YOU BMW Senior VP of Engineering-Designs-That-Make-Owners-Ask-What-Were-They-Thinking-When-They-Did-That????)
__________________
E91 Sports Wagon 27K miles, 6-speed, RWD, (reportedly 1 of 429 built for the US market), Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 rear headrest mount and built-in remote display, Cocomats (back to the 1970s!), $10 clutch stop mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #40
gT-BMW
Private
United_States
6
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 06' 325i 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Shiftright View Post
Randomly, 1/2 a quart over the last 10 years. Hasn't happened since I began using a BMW specialty shop vs the dealer.

The pattern makes me think that the car wasn't always filled completely after every oil change. Without a dipstick...

(THANK YOU BMW Senior VP of Engineering-Designs-That-Make-Owners-Ask-What-Were-They-Thinking-When-They-Did-That????)
yes it would be nice to have a dipstick. cars that do have a dipstick comes with serviceable pcv system. I suspect bmw wanted to go with a sealed ccv system for emissions. Oil given enough time will deteriorate anything.

After driving mostly sports car for most of my life when i purchased my first bmw the first thing that came into mind was this car was designed for old ladies. Systems information in the idrive "OK" oh everything OK so it must be OK. but its not OK..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #41
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
2744
Rep
10,202
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
yes i agree, im starting to think its an ccv problem. the other day i got p0171 and havnt driven the car since. Ive been driving my trusty old honda. The bmw was suppose to replace that. anyways I ordered a smoke machine so i can find out if i have a vaccum leak. I'm pretty sure its going to lead me to a ccv hose since over time they do get brittle and crack.

If the smoke test does lead to a ccv hose, i'll want to replace everything concerning the ccv, the oil seperator including that little mesh thing thats integrated in the valve cover. from what ive been reading, that too can also deform and that i'll have to replace the valve cover to fix that. is there a way to replace that one thing?
About 6 months ago I priced up the CCV components. Turner sells all the parts as a refurb kit, but I buy a lot of OEM parts on line and pick them up at my local dealer (he's a TradeMotion parts re-seller). Anyway, the CCV parts with the 20% discount the TradeMotion service provides was about $40 cheaper than Turner. Now that doesn't include shipping, so if you have to have the parts shipped it may be a wash.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #42
opjose
Lieutenant
opjose's Avatar
61
Rep
533
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Md

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52UNED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
How much oil did you refill the engine with at the oil change?
This.
This.

After some oil changes I find that it SEEMS like oil consumption goes up.

I may have to add oil after a while.

But after doing so there is no change what so ever for the next 6k miles or so.

It could be that the system was not properly registering the amount of oil added initially and you were actually a bit low from the start.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #43
gT-BMW
Private
United_States
6
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 06' 325i 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
This.

After some oil changes I find that it SEEMS like oil consumption goes up.

I may have to add oil after a while.

But after doing so there is no change what so ever for the next 6k miles or so.

It could be that the system was not properly registering the amount of oil added initially and you were actually a bit low from the start.
hmm. Im now worried about the accuracy of my oil level sensor. Is there a way to test with ista?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #44
tlow98
Lieutenant Colonel
371
Rep
1,950
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
hmm. Im now worried about the accuracy of my oil level sensor. Is there a way to test with ista?
From most experiences on here, it either works perfectly or it's broken. Sort of binary in that way.

Faults via codes normally indicate if it's still doing the job correctly.
Appreciate 1
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST