E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Inconsistent boost

07-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Inconsistent boost

I have been working a lot of hours, so I have not had the time to log a bunch of data. Since there is so much knowledge on this forum, I was hoping someone can figure this out before I invest a lot of time troubleshooting.

There are times (especially in the morning) that my car feels extra powerful. Like starting out at a light and at 20-30% throttle it throws me back in the seat. Normally I like that kind of power, but when you’re not expecting that, it’s not preferred. Then when I really want the power, sometimes it seems week like stock. My biggest issue is I never know what I’m going to get when I push on the gas pedal.

I recently switched from linear throttle to standard throttle and it seems to reduce the turbo lag feel, but does make the gas pedal more touchy.
Does anyone else experience this or any ideas? I haven’t driven any other tuned E90’s, so I don’t know how this should feel.

Thanks, Doug
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure View Post
I have been working a lot of hours, so I have not had the time to log a bunch of data. Since there is so much knowledge on this forum, I was hoping someone can figure this out before I invest a lot of time troubleshooting.

There are times (especially in the morning) that my car feels extra powerful. Like starting out at a light and at 20-30% throttle it throws me back in the seat. Normally I like that kind of power, but when you’re not expecting that, it’s not preferred. Then when I really want the power, sometimes it seems week like stock. My biggest issue is I never know what I’m going to get when I push on the gas pedal.

I recently switched from linear throttle to standard throttle and it seems to reduce the turbo lag feel, but does make the gas pedal more touchy.
Does anyone else experience this or any ideas? I haven’t driven any other tuned E90’s, so I don’t know how this should feel.

Thanks, Doug
My recommendation would be to go back to the linear maps that way you know that your right foot correlates with what you should expect in power. I think of all the tunes I noticed the cobb was a bit more touchy and it depends on which map your running of course. Not necessarily a bad thing as it feels very responsive.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

I don't see a way to avoid logging. You need to know if you're not getting full boost, or if you are but are just pulling a bunch of timing. Highly likely to be one or the other. Once you know you can start chasing down the reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
I don't see a way to avoid logging. You need to know if you're not getting full boost, or if you are but are just pulling a bunch of timing. Highly likely to be one or the other. Once you know you can start chasing down the reason.
I pulled some logs like a 2 months ago and posted them, and no one saw any issues. Since then I added the FMIC and re-flashed my Cobb to include that, and now the Inconsistent boost is even more apparent. I will try to find some time to do some more logging.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Bavarian Black
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonecure View Post
I pulled some logs like a 2 months ago and posted them, and no one saw any issues. Since then I added the FMIC and re-flashed my Cobb to include that, and now the Inconsistent boost is even more apparent. I will try to find some time to do some more logging.
Weird, since you added the FMIC. It may be time to add a boost gauge, then you can really find the culprit and at what time n temp.

Best of luck.

BB
08 335i MSPORT & PR PKG/aFe St2 DCI/AA BOV kit +DP/SprintBooster Stage 2/Avant Garde 19 rims/ HNK V12 Pro Tires/BMS Wheel Spacers/ E92 M F n B kit incl blk kidney grills and sensors/Afe mach Exhaust. M3 skirts, DNA map 3
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
My recommendation would be to go back to the linear maps that way you know that your right foot correlates with what you should expect in power. I think of all the tunes I noticed the cobb was a bit more touchy and it depends on which map your running of course. Not necessarily a bad thing as it feels very responsive.
I'm used to normally aspirated V8 power (I'm sure you can relate to that Mr Vett owner). That is why for 8 months now I have been running the linear map. People on this forum seem to like LT for 6MT, and ST for 6AT. Since I have a 6AT I decided to try the standard throttle. It does feel much more responsive and I am starting to get used to that, but the inconsistent boost is still there.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
tennis_pr0
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2--7 BMW 335i coupe

Do you have an fmic? If not and its hot, you can and will get a reduction in power. The stock throttle is hot or kiss sometimes. It tries to guess what you want, so sometimes you get a sudden bolt of acceleration where other times you dont get as much as you want. This is most likely what you are feeling and it is very normal. The linear throttle would fix this as it does exactly what your foot does on the throttle, very predictable
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

I had a similar issue with the OTS map but PTF tuned it out for me with their pro tune. They said it was something to do with throttle and torque management. I have not had that issue come back since.
      07-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis_pr0 View Post
Do you have an fmic? If not and its hot, you can and will get a reduction in power. The stock throttle is hot or kiss sometimes. It tries to guess what you want, so sometimes you get a sudden bolt of acceleration where other times you dont get as much as you want. This is most likely what you are feeling and it is very normal. The linear throttle would fix this as it does exactly what your foot does on the throttle, very predictable
Yes, I have a VRSF 7" intercooler. Just this week I switched from linear to stock throttle, so that is not the issue. I agree with you that the ST is much quicker to go to higher boost than LT.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazze90 View Post
I had a similar issue with the OTS map but PTF tuned it out for me with their pro tune. They said it was something to do with throttle and torque management. I have not had that issue come back since.
Glad to hear I'm not alone and that your running good now. Having my car pro-tuned sounds expensive.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Nonecure
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had to take my car to the stealer today for the battery cable recall, so I removed my tune, and wow does my car drive nice! OK, I can't live without the extra power, but my daily commute drive was very nice. Since my Cobb wasn't the cheapest option, why do I need get a pro-tune just to have some extra power? I'm not trying to bash Cobb, I just don't understand.
Appreciate 0