E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Ticket Disobeyed traffic control device

11-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
pepsih
Captain
Rep
Drives: f02, e24

Ticket Disobeyed traffic control device

Hi all,
On Wednesday I traveled from NY to Canada, unfortunately, the cop caught me driving 88 on a 65 zone (it was 3 am ok.. highways were empty.. but never mind).

The cop told me that i was speeding ...
Them he asked if I have a radar detector, because he saw me slowing down when i got flashed.. I said yes them he asked me some questions about my dashcam, actually he liked it.
He also looked at my tow hook license plate and said that he has an M3 and he is going to do the same thing ;D.

He took my licence and came back with a "traffic control device Disobeyed 1110" ticket.
I already feel lucky because i know how many points i could loose drivine 20mph over the limit.
Now my question is ...
Should i fight this ticket?
(I risk 2 points and +/- 200 fine)
If Yes do you guys know any good lawyers?

Again sorry for my bad English/ if someone could translate that into real English i would appreciate lool
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsih View Post
Hi all,
On Wednesday I traveled from NY to Canada, unfortunately, the cop caught me driving 88 on a 65 zone (it was 3 am ok.. highways were empty.. but never mind).

Them he asked if I have a radar detector, because he saw me slowing down when i got flashed.. I said yes them he asked me some questions about my dashcam, actually he liked it.
He also looked at my tow hook license plate and said that he has an M3 and he is going to do the same thing ;D.

He took my licence and came back with a "traffic control device Disobeyed 1110" ticket.
I already feel lucky because i know how many points i could loose drivine 20mph over the limit.
Now my question is ...

Again sorry for my bad English/ if someone could translate that into real English i would appreciate lool

It seems that you got a deal there... just pay and move on, not worth getting layers involved over BS traffic violation.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Hi all,

Now my question is ...

dude hooked you up. if you fight it, and you take it to court, he will present his notes to your speeding and then you get fucked.

how is this something you need advice on?
      11-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

If its no points, why are you even wasting key strokes.. There's nothing better than a tint ticket when you get pulled over doing 80+

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocka1212 View Post
If its no points, why are you even wasting key strokes.. There's nothing better than a tint ticket when you get pulled over doing 80+
there is two points.

but its 6 points vs 2 points.
      11-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

2 points is nothing, no driver assessment, minimal insurance impact after a dd course, just pay the ticket and move on with life
      11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

Do a "Trial by Written Declaration". I've gotten my last 2 out of 3 speeding tickets dismissed like they never happened

You turn in a copy explaining to the judge that you weren't breaking the law. The cop is supposed to turn in a copy as well explaining his side of the story but great thing is, is that if the cop doesn't submit his statement within a given period of time (month or two), your ticket automatically get dismissed! FYI: you have to pay the full ticket amount when submitting your declaration but if the ticket gets dismissed, you'll receive a check with your full amount shortly after you receive word you're not quilty.

Or since it sounds like the cop let you off easy, maybe just pay it and move on...
      11-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
shocka1212
Philanthropist
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
2 points is nothing, no driver assessment, minimal insurance impact after a dd course, just pay the ticket and move on with life
Points are points. OP should try getting that dropped to an unsafe operation ticket. You'll prob end up paying in the 300 range after court fees but you might walk away with no points, which are the best points.

The 2011 3-Series coupe offering the infamous "Harmon Kardon Badging"
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
pepsih
Captain
Rep

I already have 4 points on my licence due to an asshole cop that gave me ticket for tint and follow to close on the LIE friday around 5-6PM...
i did my defensive driving course so on my licence i have 1 and my insurance still4.
good thing is that the car is registered on my wife

but

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Do a "Trial by Written Declaration". I've gotten my last 2 out of 3 speeding tickets dismissed like they never happened

You turn in a copy explaining to the judge that you weren't breaking the law. The cop is supposed to turn in a copy as well explaining his side of the story but great thing is, is that if the cop doesn't submit his statement within a given period of time (month or two), your ticket automatically get dismissed! FYI: you have to pay the full ticket amount when submitting your declaration but if the ticket gets dismissed, you'll receive a check with your full amount shortly after you receive word you're not quilty.

Or since it sounds like[b] the cop let you off easy, maybe just pay it and move on..[/b}.
yes the cop was really nice... hopefully he don't change his mind next time if he catch some speeding BMW drivers and give a speeding ticket because an asshole (me) was trying to explain to the judge that he weren't breaking the law ( DRIVING 88 mph...)
I assume... even if i think driving at 88mph is safe in a bmw at 3am...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
badfish718
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F30 335i M-Sport EB2

i have an 11 point speeding trial coming up in a few weeks, and i was going slower than you on a highway, why couldnt i have gotten your cop?

id pay your fine and take the course to knock down the pts in heartbeat

Prev:
07 E92 335i Montego/Saddle - Stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
Mike L
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Sure, plead not guilty. The cop already gave you one break, call him a lier andwatch him really give it to you in court...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

I had something happen to a "friend of mine" similar to this

My "friend" was at an outdoor public range shooting a brand spanking new upgraded Ar-15. The DEC rolled up and checked us all out. My friends Ar had a collapsable stock on it, which is very illegal in NYS. DEC could have arrested him with a felony and took the gun but the guy does not like the gun laws in NYS himself and just wrote a ticket for destroying breakable targets which was very nice. If my friend would have plead not guilty.... well you get the idea. Plead guilty and just pay up
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
pepsih
Captain
Rep

thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Roman-dude
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Hi all,
call the court and ask what the protocol is to be put in touch with a DA to plead it down. It's a win-win for you and them. I wouldn't go (well, I didn't) go with a lawyer - it's ~$400 and no guarantees. They are likely to reduce it a little further and slap a fine on you, which is a function of your record - the cleaner the record, the lower the penalty.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
pepsih
Captain
Rep

like i said i already have 4pts. for follow to close, last year
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #16
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Just pay the fine and move on. I got pull over for going 104 in a 45 (everyone does 70 on this road). The cop knocked it down to a 75. I shook his hand and paid the fine.
      11-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Hi all,

Now my question is ...

You don't need a lawyer for this one, just go to the court date, and ask the cop before you see the judge if you can have a no point ticket, then pay the fine.

They will reduce it to a non moving violation.

the ticket will increase your insurance since it's a moving violation, best to fight it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
SCS15
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

I love how you were wrongfully speeding, got caught, the cop gave you a break and your still trying to weasel out of it.
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
citg0
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3DIRTY5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
dude hooked you up. if you fight it, and you take it to court, he will present his notes to your speeding and then you get fucked.

how is this something you need advice on?
Can they do that? Would the speeding stuff even be admissible, as it was not included in the ticket, and is completely irrelevant pertaining to the case at hand (traffic control device Disobeyed 1110)?

Genuinely curious, as I'm no lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
AGood22
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006

I just got pulled over sunday doing 92 in a 65.. i saw the cop and new he was going to pull out so i actually pulled over before he turned his lights on.. it pays off to be honest sometimes.. he walked up and didnt know what to say.. he said i was the first person to ever do that to him.. and he just asked for my license to make sure i didnt have a ticket in the past year. he came back with a "obedience to traffic-control device violation" $110 and no points. IMO pay and move on cop did you a favor
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
Roman-dude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
Just pay the fine and move on. I got pull over for going 104 in a 45 (everyone does 70 on this road). The cop knocked it down to a 75. I shook his hand and paid the fine.
are you sure it's all you shook?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #22
Roman-dude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by citg0 View Post
Can they do that? Would the speeding stuff even be admissible, as it was not included in the ticket, and is completely irrelevant pertaining to the case at hand (traffic control device Disobeyed 1110)?

Genuinely curious, as I'm no lawyer.
the speeding notes are likely in the deposition. remember, you still are on the hook for speeding - you disobeyed the sign with the max speed posted on it. it's just that he decided to give you a break, that's all.

I see no fault with trying to plead it down - you still get penalized and they still get paid (and save judge's time). Not to mention the fact that a lot of speeding tickets are nothing but a revenue generator for the municipality..
Appreciate 0