E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > cockpit recording Flight 1549

02-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #23
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Thanks. I still haven't figured out how to embed here. The other forum I go to is so much easier.
it's pretty EZ...just take the video ID (the portion after the = sign) and put it between the [u2b] tags

HTML Code:
[INVALIDYOUTUBE]lHB80CiAmQQ&[/INVALIDYOUTUBE]
equals

[u2b]lHB80CiAmQQ&[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #24
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limited_slip View Post
I don't know what the big fuss is? what he did wasn't a miracle or amazing or anything.

jets are design to safely land on water during an emergency. proof: ever see the pre-flight hand out regarding water landing?
Man ...are you seroius?
Simulation and real life situation is not the SAME. He had made great decisions, and controlled himself like no one else with masterful skill.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #25
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
dude if it is so hard then why did we have a second successful water landing recently?

everyone is doing it dude
Did you know that he was hovering over the city instead of open ocean?
Do you really think it's easy as you think to make decisions and aviate when you are gliding down over the major cities?
And how easy is it would be to glide down on to the shallow river with suspended bridge?

Come on man, give me a break, all this guy saw was countless highrises and highways unlike you see the open water in recent water landing. Yet, he managed to barely clear the brigde and safely glided on the river that is so shallow you can even swim across.

Give credit to people who deserves it. Nothig is easy as it seems.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #26
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Dude..fine but don't call it a miracle. A miracle is when Hellen Keller blindness was cured before she died. Landing a jet in calm water is not a miracle. It is considered standard operating precedure.
SOP???
      02-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #27
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dude..fine but don't call it a miracle. A miracle is when Hellen Keller blindness was cured before she died. Landing a jet in calm water is not a miracle. It is considered standard operating precedure.
"Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to New York. Please stay seated until the rafts are inflated. Don't forget your life vests while leaving the aircraft. Please check your connections on NY ferries while you're on the rafts.
Thank You for flying with us and enjoy the freezing temperature in Hudson River."
      02-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #28
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

It doesn't surprise me how calm he was. His background is amazing, he is a damn good pilot, former Air Force.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #29
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeak View Post
DAM i would be freaked out.
You would have hit the trees in the Hudson....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #30
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegacy View Post
It doesn't surprise me how calm he was. His background is amazing, he is a damn good pilot, former Air Force.
I thought I read he flew F-14s, which would be Navy. I figured it was his experience as a navy pilot that helped him make that landing, all those carrier landings must give you nerves of steel.
      02-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #31
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I thought I read he flew F-14s, which would be Navy. I figured it was his experience as a navy pilot that helped him make that landing, all those carrier landings must give you nerves of steel.
No he was an air force academy grad. He flew F-4s....but I can understand getting confused with f-14.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 04:20 PM   #32
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

So what is going to happen to the plane? I read that the NTSB is going to probably keep it for 12 to 18 months. Do you think once they release it back to US Air they'll chop it up and sell it as scrap, will they make it into some kind of monument to honor the crew's skill and bravery, or will they seriously consider trying to salvage at least part of the airframe and put it back into service?
      02-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #33
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So what is going to happen to the plane? I read that the NTSB is going to probably keep it for 12 to 18 months. Do you think once they release it back to US Air they'll chop it up and sell it as scrap, will they make it into some kind of monument to honor the crew's skill and bravery, or will they seriously consider trying to salvage at least part of the airframe and put it back into service?
most likely they will salvage some parts that can be refurbished from the old airframe.....and scrap the rest of it since its been in sea water for a few days.....it is goign to take lot more money to completely check for corrosion and internal damages (from the rescue boats ramming on it)....plus two new engines....they might just gonna scrap it airframe....
      02-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #34
Hawker 800XP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Transcript
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #35
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

What's hard is landing in the water and then successfully taking off again.
      02-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #36
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What's hard is landing in the water and then successfully taking off again.
I dun really see the point to build an airport near the water...
      02-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #37
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I dun really see the point to build an airport near the water...
It keeps the house builders away.

Look at Reid-Hillview Airport in San Jose, California. At one time it was all alone in a field. Now there are houses on three sides and a shopping mall right across the road from the end of the runway.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #38
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post

Look at Reid-Hillview Airport in San Jose, California. At one time it was all alone in a field. Now there are houses on three sides and a shopping mall right across the road from the end of the runway.
Now I can see a Cessna has its engine out and landed on the mall's parking lot...
      02-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #39
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
After the NTSB is done studying it, it will be released back to US Airways and the insurance will pay out the claim and handle the aircraft from there...or US Airways may keep the scrap if they decide to and pull parts off of it, send it out to be overhauled and used on other aircrafts.
I can see the landing gear may be salvaged.
Wings, tail, fuselage, engines def gonna be scrapped. the fuselage may be used for FA training...who knows exactly yet...

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #40
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777ER View Post
After the NTSB is done studying it, it will be released back to US Airways and the insurance will pay out the claim and handle the aircraft from there...or US Airways may keep the scrap if they decide to and pull parts off of it, send it out to be overhauled and used on other aircrafts.
I can see the landing gear may be salvaged.
Wings, tail, fuselage, engines def gonna be scrapped. the fuselage may be used for FA training...who knows exactly yet...
i would suspect the airframe has been heavily corroded ....just speculations tho....but seems logical to just salvage some parts and use the airframe for other purpose....
      02-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #41
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
love this pic...

Last edited by E90SLAM; 01-17-2011 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #42
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post

Also note HPN was there first then a developer decided to build houses...now the new owners are complaining of the noise.
End result? Andrew Spano imposed a curfew for no flights from midnight to 6am.
Feds went apeshit and cut the airport funding in half...to quailfy for full federal funding, the airport must be open 24/7.

Funny is that coporate jets keep taking off and landing during the curfew hours...either they pay the fines or have good lawyers that fight
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #43
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i would suspect the airframe has been heavily corroded ....just speculations tho....but seems logical to just salvage some parts and use the airframe for other purpose....
The hudson river is not salt water...its brackish.

I'm sure not much corrosion has taken effect when it was in the water for a few days but once they pulled it out and let it sit or leave it like that as it air drys...corrosion takes place at a faster rate.

There are alot of chromate, zinc...etc. It's the green 'paint' you see when you open up panels or the interior of the aircraft.

That stuff is poisonous during application and if you get chips or pieces into your mouth or bloodstream.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #44
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Now I can see a Cessna has its engine out and landed on the mall's parking lot...
One happened on 1 September 2007. I seem to recall a small aircraft struck Eastridge Mall in the early 1980s.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0