E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Cylinder 2 misfire

01-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
jim.e.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

Cylinder 2 misfire

Was driving on highway, all of a sudden CEL came on. Got off highway, scanned the car and got p0302 cylinder 2 misfire.

Cleared the code, turned the car back on and it's running fine now. Should I be worried? I got a code for O2 sensor the other day (p0420 & p0430); they've been cleared and haven't come back since.

I have a BMS PBX connected on map 3 (throttle and performance), thinking of shutting it off and it potentially causing issues in the cold.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Order a spare ignition coil. They're cheap enough and most likely you'll end up using it. But it's good just to have one in case.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

First things first, swap out ignition coil with another cylinder and see if missfire follows.

If it follows then it's your ignition coil. If misfire remains in cylinder 2 then you know its either spark plug or injector.

When i had a misfire (undr hard acceleration only) cylinder 6, the issue was the plugs.

I'm assuming you weren't under hard acceleration and were just cruising on the highway, so your issue may be the coil or the injector.

While i was doing search for my issue i've read up a few guys saying they had O2 sensor code pop up with thier misfire, and replacement of the sensor took care of the misfire. Considering you had O2 already pop up, i would replace it simply because once they start acting up its inevidable that sooner or later they will fail.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
ziftekar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Hey so I'm having a similar problem. My car has 125000 miles on it. About 3 weeks ago I was on the highway going about 100 mph in fourth when the car started shaking and there was a loss in power and SES light came. Slowed down and after a few minutes the misfire resolved. and the SES light went away. But now every few days my car car throws a hard SES light at me for a misfire on cylinder 2 (P0302) but the car isn't misfiring. However, on a cold start the car rocks a bit for the first few minutes then it settles and is smooth. But the shaking on a cold start isn't as bad a full on misfire so I'm thinking it might be intermittently misfiring? The spark plugs were changed at 99k and the ignition coils were replaced at 120k miles. I again changed the ignition coil and spark plug at 2 when it started misfiring. I also started to think it might be a dirty fuel injector so I ran 3 bottles of Techron back to back to back then did an oil change. But the SES light keeps coming back every few days. Any idea what the issue might be? Also, I live in Chicago and it's cold here so idk if that might be a factor. PLEASE HELP ME
Appreciate 0