E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > small engined diesels whats the point?

03-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #67
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
At what kind of speed though? My 35d can do 40+ at a steady 70mph...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Whatever speed the car in front was doing....!
In the interests of science, and taking the hire car back showing 'full' , I did the last 30 miles on the motorway in the 118d at 75-85 and it averaged 53 mpg. A bit more like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #68
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
In the interests of science, and taking the hire car back showing 'full' , I did the last 30 miles on the motorway in the 118d at 75-85 and it averaged 53 mpg. A bit more like it.
That is more like it... BTW, how did you get a BMW out of AVIS? I'm having to make do with a Peugeot 3008, since my car was recovered.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #69
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Fiat have a major complaint about the consumption on their latest 'twin air' diesel engine.
It's a petrol

We were looking at that for Mrs R, decided on the 1.2 engine instead (variety of reasons).

There's another reason that seems to have been mostly overlooked in all this - call it crazy but some people may just choose to have a smaller engine in a nice car. I could have a 335i if I wanted but most of my daily driving just wouldn't make use of it. There's only so fast you can go sprint/brake-ing along the M62 'fast' lane.

Likewise I could have a bigger house than we're currently in, or I could have a 72" TV instead of a 40". It's all about choice and BMW manufacture according to the demand.

Many people have many and varied reasons, even if some of you can't fathom those reasons
      03-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #70
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
That is more like it... BTW, how did you get a BMW out of AVIS? I'm having to make do with a Peugeot 3008, since my car was recovered.

HighlandPete
First contact (at Mondial) said they would try to get me in an equivalent car, Avis then then came back with the offer of a fiesta. I told them to shove that.

They came back with offer of a 118d sport or a 2.0 insignia.

Thought, that'll do. Save some ££ on the miles and see if the 1 series are any good.

Not seen you mention your car being off the road, whats up with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #71
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
It's a petrol

We were looking at that for Mrs R, decided on the 1.2 engine instead (variety of reasons).
Just reread my comment.... didn't mean diesel... obviously got diesel on the brain. Fiat are working on the small diesel, understand there is some new 'air flow' technology on that as well.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #72
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Quote:
Just reread my comment.... didn't mean diesel... obviously got diesel on the brain. Fiat are working on the small diesel, understand there is some new 'air flow' technology on that as well.

HighlandPete

The Twin-Air's an interesting engine, and some people are managing to improve the economy as the engine starts to loosen up. We decided we'd prefer to see some long-term track record before going for it, especially as the Fiat warranty isn't the greatest (2 yr mfr, 1 yr dealer)

Insurance group is quite a bit higher too.

Last edited by the_rangdo; 03-15-2011 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: Dodgy spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #73
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
First contact (at Mondial) said they would try to get me in an equivalent car, Avis then then came back with the offer of a fiesta. I told them to shove that.....

Not seen you mention your car being off the road, whats up with it?
My nearest AVIS didn't have a BMW on site, and they are over 70 miles away, so a car is a car.

My car broke a front spring. No incident, possiblly over night. I sensed something wasn't right going up my lane, even got out and looked around but couldn't see anything wrong, It completely let go and started dropping as I turned out on the main road, started rubbing and that was it after a few metres.

Simple thing like an OEM spring is on back order, so delayed fix. Happened last Thursday, but the garage had no track on the spring earlier today. So still waiting.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #74
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

I had a 316d ES for a few days as a 'courtesy car' last year (not very courteous if you ask me...) that I think I only got into 6th gear twice*...
The second time just to check it wouldn't feel comfortable for long at 50mph, like the first time I tried it.....

*rarely get on a motorway on my commute (yes, it varies), so mainly A roads.
Appreciate 0