E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > How to activate DRL on E92?

08-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Toshi
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i xDrive Coupe (G15)

Question How to activate DRL on E92?

I am pre-LCI E92 335i owner from Japan and I want my angel eyes run as Daylight Running Light.
But unfortunately Japan-spec E92 does not have DRL feature and I cannot activate/deactivate it through iDrive or OBD.
(I would appreciate if someone could post the pic of iDrive DRL menu... I've never seen it.)
Do you think direct coding can activate DRL or enable DRL menu on iDrive?

As an alternative approach, I installed Daeos DRL system to supply power directly to angel eyes.
It worked fine at first but my LED bulbs got broken after a few minutes.
Looks like LED chips were burned out due to overdrive. I had to replace them.
(Actually Nick@JleviSW advised me that they have no experiences with Daeos on E92 because DRL feature is already activated from the factory in the US.)
I guess E92 supplies different/lower voltage (lower than 12V) to angel rings when it runs DRL only.
Am I correct?

BTW, I use BREX LEDs that called "M3 Doping Edition". It's the best Angel Eye LED in Japan. Very tough to install, though. (You need to remove the factory reflector.)
See the pics posted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
I am pre-LCI E92 335i owner from Japan and I want my angel eyes run as Daylight Running Light.
But unfortunately Japan-spec E92 does not have DRL feature and I cannot activate/deactivate it through iDrive or OBD.
(I would appreciate if someone could post the pic of iDrive DRL menu... I've never seen it.)
Do you think direct coding can activate DRL or enable DRL menu on iDrive?

As an alternative approach, I installed Daeos DRL system to supply power directly to angel eyes.
It worked fine at first but my LED bulbs got broken after a few minutes.
Looks like LED chips were burned out due to overdrive. I had to replace them.
(Actually Nick@JleviSW advised me that they have no experiences with Daeos on E92 because DRL feature is already activated from the factory in the US.)
I guess E92 supplies different/lower voltage (lower than 12V) to angel rings when it runs DRL only.
Am I correct?

BTW, I use BREX LEDs that called "M3 Doping Edition". It's the best Angel Eye LED in Japan. Very tough to install, though. (You need to remove the factory reflector.)
See the pics posted.
Wow, those AEs look great. More info/pics?

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Daeos harness, it was designed for E90 NA-Spec applications only.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
simonsingh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 640d

DRL is 14V and 12V with headlights on in the UK. Can be activated through AutoLogic or any other coding.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
Toshi
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Jlevi SW View Post
Wow, those AEs look great. More info/pics?

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Daeos harness, it was designed for E90 NA-Spec applications only.
Yep, I knew it because Nick from your company told me so. I just wanted to take a gamble with my E92 but it didn't work unfortunately...
My AE LED is called "White Ring - M3 Doping Edition" from BREX. It may be only available in Japan at this time.
You need to remove the factory reflectors but they light up even outer rings brightly. It's much better than Bellof or Racing Dash. The intensity is more than 1400 lumen.)

Here is the link. (They have no English web site.)
BREX Web site

However, I don't know whether this LED supports DRL of US/EU spec E92.
As I posted, they were burned out when I used Daeos and somebody told me that US/EU spec E92s illuminate AEs brighter when they turn on DRL.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
Toshi
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsingh View Post
DRL is 14V and 12V with headlights on in the UK. Can be activated through AutoLogic or any other coding.
Hmm.... It's weird....
I tried Daeos DRL system harness that supplies 12V directly from the battery but it burned out my LEDs.
So I guess AE with headlights on is less than 12V like 10V, 8V or ...
I got confused.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
simonsingh
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
Hmm.... It's weird....
I tried Daeos DRL system harness that supplies 12V directly from the battery but it burned out my LEDs.
So I guess AE with headlights on is less than 12V like 10V, 8V or ...
I got confused.
Any time the AE are on (apart from DRL) will be 12V. This is a new feature we've only just getting in the UK. Came programmed in from factory.
Can't see any reason why it would burn out the LEDs, maybe low quality connections in?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Toshi
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsingh View Post
Any time the AE are on (apart from DRL) will be 12V. This is a new feature we've only just getting in the UK. Came programmed in from factory.
Can't see any reason why it would burn out the LEDs, maybe low quality connections in?
I believe it's not product/connection quality matters.
Obviously, AEs were brighter than normal state when they ran as DRL with Daeos harness.
Actually they glowed brilliantly for the first 5 minutes, then turned to bluish color, started flickering and finally blinked out. This is very typical sequence/symptoms of LED overdrive.
I didn't try it with normal halogen bulbs because I have removed the factory reflectors to install these BREX LED boards.

BTW, my dealership couldn't find DRL coding menu in their system and they said BMW Japan may eliminate the feature completely from Japan-spec E92.
Third-party system like Autologic does handle even hidden feature/coding? I am not familiar with Autologic.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Toshi
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain