E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How sick am i? Please be honest!

05-31-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Red face How sick am i? Please be honest!

Ok guys well i have always known that i am a bit of a car addict but lately my wife has begun to question if i am a little bit nuts or obsessed. I have decided to describe some of my usual car behaviours to try to figure out if there is more people like me out there.

-I have owned 26 cars and i am 26 years old so if you average it i have owned 1 car per year of my life. Currently planning on adding to the collection an E46 M3.

-Im not intrigued by how much a car cost's, how much power it has, or how it looks, i am more intrigued by how much of a soul it has and how it drives.

-My garage looks like a mini dealership (Tools,Lift,Compressor,AC,Decoration)

-I always notice nice cars on the road and almost always mention the specs of it to my wife which she has no interest in hearing.

-I have a collection of about 500 car magazines and hold subscriptions to CAR & Driver, Automobile, European Car, and Road and track.

-I have a 32 die cast car collection in my homes studio, i have tried to find every car i have owned in die cast but have only managed to find 15 of the 26.

-My office is decorated with a martini racing poster, Lamborghini Countach, racing decorations (piston paper weight etc).

-Sometimes when i am bored taking a shower i make rally blow off valve noise with my mouth and imagine the echo actually being the mountains.

-I probably go on the internet to search for car related stuff around 1-2 hours daily

-Shopping cart = drift car in my eyes. I have probably been caught more times than i would like by a stranger randomly making tire noises and drifting into a supermarket aisle.

-Forza Motorsports is a must play at least two hours a week.

-Im a Track Rat, I try to attend the track at least twice a month. If i dont have to much work one week i will load the race car in the trailer and go across the country for a track day just to drive a different track.

-Sometimes i walk into my garage and just stare at my cars without saying a word.

-I get bored when there is no car talk in a conversation.

-At least one of my items i wear daily is car related, Be it my Save the manuals wristband, Racing Heritage Watch, Iphone BMW M case, M laptop bag, BMW F1 sunglasses, etc.

-When i shop for shoes i always make sure the sole is not too thick so i can have a good pedal feel.

-Randomly go on ebay and autotrader looking for the perfect car im not going to buy.

-Randomly go on performance parts websites and start seeing what parts are available for different cars to help me decide on a future car project.

-Bob Bondurant on high performance driving is my bible.

-I record and watch every F1, V8 supercars, and DTM race

-Traveling to Germany with the wife, had to include Nurburg on our stop list. When we went to Japan i made her go to super autobacks, tsukuba, and a highway meet at midnight to check out the cars in Tokyo.

-Every single car i own has to at least have one aftermarket or oem performance part. Even my truck has a diablo programer and k&n filter.

-Ayrton Senna is my Role Model. He helped brazil so much and united them like crazy, and dont even get me started on his driving skills.

Well the wife has caught me doing all of this stuff and thinks i am either obsessed or just plain nuts. Weird thing though is it all feels normal to me but isn't that what crazy people say when they ask them if they are crazy? Ever since i was a kid 90% of my toys were cars or car related, i begged to go go-karting and loved to watch racing on TV even though i did not understand it yet. Everyone always told me that i would out grow it but im glad to admit i am 26 years old and i still play with cars (real ones now) . So please guys just let me have it and be honest am i nuts or is this all normal?

Last edited by track_warrior; 05-31-2013 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

My 10 year old son does everything on your list except owning real cars and the garage. Did i mention he is 10?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapoloco View Post
My 10 year old son does everything on your list except owning real cars and the garage. Did i mention he is 10?
This is not looking good for me.
      05-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Bah, no point in growing up and becoming a boring old man. Fuck that, so many get wrapped up in this idea that they have to act a particular way just to fit in with the other stuffed shirt, miserable, Douche Suit wearing zombies. Souls long dead, killed by this notion of "grow up", "adult", "mature"...

It's why I play public courses. If I play a private course with friends there's going to be a collection of ass-clowns somewhere tssk tssking their displeasure. Wrong clubs, wrong shirt, OMFG spoke to loudly... It reminds me a Caddy Shack only these folks are funny by accident...

SO roll with it. If you have a career, are taking care of your responsibilities, and getting on with life with a smile and a serving of goofy bastard go for it. I spent years in Federal Service, a couple alphabet agencies, then Booz Allen, Sverdrup, etc. etc. etc. NEVER was I looked at sideways cause I was a professional, doing the job in an immaculate fashion. Doesn't mean I had to loose myself to some misguided notion of "grown up". All "grown up" means, all "adult" means, is that someone has forgotten how to play, how to laugh at themselves, and how to actually have fun.

Fuck that, handle your auto addiction, keep playing, have fun. Cause if you aren't having fun? Might as well go play in traffic.

Also, don't be the obnoxious guy, nobody likes that guy. If you don't know who the obnoxious guy is at work? I've got bad news.
      05-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Same on me. I spend few hours on browsing m3post and other car related webs every day
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post

-I have owned 26 cars and i am 26 years old so if you average it i have owned 1 car per year of my life. Currently planning on adding to the collection an E46 M3. Only 8 cars for me in 38 years, but 3 supras and 4 M3s

-Im not intrigued by how much a car cost's, how much power it has, or how it looks, i am more intrigued by how much of a soul it has and how it drives.
The soul is a great way to describe it. It's a must have for me.

-My garage looks like a mini dealership (Tools,Lift,Compressor,AC,Decoration)Ditto

-I always notice nice cars on the road and almost always mention the specs of it to my wife which she has no interest in hearing. Ditto, except my wife is interested

-I have a collection of about 500 car magazines and hold subscriptions to CAR & Driver, Automobile, European Car, and Road and track. This used to be me, but at about 33 i started ditching them. They all say just about the same thing, in every issue of every mag.

-I have a 32 die cast car collection in my homes studio, i have tried to find every car i have owned in die cast but have only managed to find 15 of the 26. We have 26, except they are in our living room on display. The majority of them belonged to my wife before we met.

-My office is decorated with a martini racing poster, Lamborghini Countach, racing decorations (piston paper weight etc). Similar

-Sometimes when i am bored taking a shower i make rally blow off valve noise with my mouth and imagine the echo actually being the mountains. Not so much.

-I probably go on the internet to search for car related stuff around 1-2 hours daily Close to it

-Shopping cart = drift car in my eyes. I have probably been caught more times than i would like by a stranger randomly making tire noises and drifting into a supermarket aisle. Ditto

-Forza Motorsports is a must play at least two hours a week. Not enough time any more

-Im a Track Rat, I try to attend the track at least twice a month. If i dont have to much work one week i will load the race car in the trailer and go across the country for a track day just to drive a different track. Used to be a track junkie.

-Sometimes i walk into my garage and just stare at my cars without saying a word. Not so much anymore.

-I get bored when there is no car talk in a conversation.I'm much more interested in conversations if there is car talk. But car talking with the average person is annoying.

-At least one of my items i wear daily is car related, Be it my Save the manuals wristband, Racing Heritage Watch, Iphone BMW M case, M laptop bag, BMW F1 sunglasses, etc. Negative. I have the black E36M3 GT car shirt, but i don't wear it anymore. It has holes in it.

-When i shop for shoes i always make sure the sole is not too thick so i can have a good pedal feel. Not a primary concern but a consideration. Especially since i heal & toe by habit every time i down shift.

-Randomly go on ebay and autotrader looking for the perfect car im not going to buy. Nope

-Randomly go on performance parts websites and start seeing what parts are available for different cars to help me decide on a future car project. Nope

-I record and watch every F1, V8 supercars, and DTM race I used to do this as well.

-Traveling to Germany with the wife, had to include Nurburg on our stop list. When we went to Japan i made her go to super autobacks, tsukuba, and a highway meet at midnight to check out the cars in Tokyo. Going to Austria next year and part of the plan is to get a decent rental and hit the Ring.

-Every single car i own has to at least have one aftermarket or oem performance part. Even my truck has a diablo programer and k&n filter. I've never owned a car that didn't have full suspension, exhaust, wheels, etc... Even the land rover.

-Ayrton Senna is my Role Model. He helped brazil so much and united them like crazy, and dont even get me started on his driving skills. Can't argue with this. His video autobiography is on my apple TV.

Well the wife has caught me doing all of this stuff and thinks i am either obsessed or just plain nuts. Weird thing though is it all feels normal to me but isn't that what crazy people say when they ask them if they are crazy? Ever since i was a kid 90% of my toys were cars or car related, i begged to go go-karting and loved to watch racing on TV even though i did not understand it yet. Everyone always told me that i would out grow it but im glad to admit i am 26 years old and i still play with cars (real ones now) . So please guys just let me have it and be honest am i nuts or is this all normal?Several years ago my mom bought my father and me each a "Still plays with cars" t-shirt. No, i don't wear it.
Not too bad in my opinion. At least you're not obsessing over meth.....
      05-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
!JGunz_325
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 325i Sport

I thought Spool was dying again when I read the tittle.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Probably the worst place to ask.
      05-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by !JGunz_325 View Post
My thoughts exactly
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Nothing's wrong with you, almost half of us do the same things hahaha post pics of the garage!!!
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Spool is like a cat, he's got nine lives.

I figure we've got at least another 7 near death threads to be started by him.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

Quote:
Me too
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

You have a wife. You're good. In all seriousness though, tone it back a taaaaaad bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
-I have owned 26 cars and i am 26 years old so if you average it i have owned 1 car per year of my life. Currently planning on adding to the collection an E46 M3.
I'm nowhere near that only having owned 5 different cars but plan to add either an E39 M5 or Z4 M Coupe to the collection eventually.

I'm right there with you on how a car drives and makes you feel.

-My garage looks like a mini dealership (Tools,Lift,Compressor,AC,Decoration)
I'm working on it.

-I always notice nice cars on the road and almost always mention the specs of it to my wife which she has no interest in hearing.
I also notice what's around me on the road but rarely mention it if someone is riding with me.

-I have a collection of about 500 car magazines and hold subscriptions to CAR & Driver, Automobile, European Car, and Road and track.
I also have subscriptions to Car and Driver, Road & Track, European Car, Roundel, and occasionally pick up a copy of Evo or Top Gear magazine.

-I have a 32 die cast car collection in my homes studio, i have tried to find every car i have owned in die cast but have only managed to find 15 of the 26.
I've been collecting Matchbox, Hot Wheels, and 18th scale models since I was a kid but rarely buy anything these days unless it is unique.

-My office is decorated with a martini racing poster, Lamborghini Countach, racing decorations (piston paper weight etc).
Similar with mine.

-I probably go on the internet to search for car related stuff around 1-2 hours daily
I'll peruse a car forum at least once a day, though usually not on the weekends.

-Shopping cart = drift car in my eyes. I have probably been caught more times than i would like by a stranger randomly making tire noises and drifting into a supermarket aisle.
Ever try drifting a pallet jack?

-Forza Motorsports is a must play at least two hours a week.
I probably average an hour of playing Gran Turismo each week.

-Im a Track Rat, I try to attend the track at least twice a month. If i dont have to much work one week i will load the race car in the trailer and go across the country for a track day just to drive a different track.
I usually only make it to a track a few times per year.

-Sometimes i walk into my garage and just stare at my cars without saying a word.
I've done that before.

-I get bored when there is no car talk in a conversation.
I usually only talk cars with a few friends who also enjoy it. Other people just don't care.

-Randomly go on ebay and autotrader looking for the perfect car im not going to buy.
I do that every now and then as well.

-I record and watch every F1, V8 supercars, and DTM race
I try to watch as much WRC as I can.

-Traveling to Germany with the wife, had to include Nurburg on our stop list. When we went to Japan i made her go to super autobacks, tsukuba, and a highway meet at midnight to check out the cars in Tokyo.
I also went to the Nurburgring when I was in Germany.

Well the wife has caught me doing all of this stuff and thinks i am either obsessed or just plain nuts. Weird thing though is it all feels normal to me but isn't that what crazy people say when they ask them if they are crazy? Ever since i was a kid 90% of my toys were cars or car related, i begged to go go-karting and loved to watch racing on TV even though i did not understand it yet. Everyone always told me that i would out grow it but im glad to admit i am 26 years old and i still play with cars (real ones now) . So please guys just let me have it and be honest am i nuts or is this all normal?
While your wife may think you are obsessed or crazy, at least she lets you do what you enjoy doing. Several of my female friends and wives/girlfriends of my male friends have told me there is no reason to own multiple cars, spend money working on them, and that if they were with me, they would force me to sell all but one car. Their line of thinking absolutely dumbfounds me. Why keep someone from enjoying their hobby or passion unless it is causing a serious financial or time impact on their lives?

Quote:
That was my first thought as well.
      05-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

if I could i'd buy all sorts of cars, honestly I can appreciate all cars jdm to American, but since I only have money for a few I only go for the best, EURO
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
...question if i am a little bit nuts or obsessed...I have decided to describe some of my usual car behaviours to try to figure out if there is more people like me out there.... I... my... I... my... I...
You are not nuts. You seem to be narcissistic, and you seem to feel that people do not pay enough attention to you. To compensate for that you like to talk about yourself in public, while pretending that you are doing it for some genuinely objective reasons (like made up claims that you want to "try to figure out if there is more people like me").

There's noting wrong with it, to a certain limit. But I would normally expect a 26 year old to already develop a considerable level of quiet self-respect, self-esteem and modesty, i.e. something that would naturally prevent you from engaging into extended monologues heavily riddled with the pronouns "I" and "me". I'd say: less Forza, more literature, and you'll be all right. Some might say that at 26 it is already too late, but I personally think there's still time.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

14 cars here but I'm 45.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
You are not nuts. You seem to be narcissistic, and you seem to feel that people do not pay enough attention to you. To compensate for that you like to talk about yourself in public, while pretending that you are doing it for some genuinely objective reasons (like made up claims that you want to "try to figure out if there is more people like me").

There's noting wrong with it, to a certain limit. But I would normally expect a 26 year old to already develop a considerable level of quiet self-respect, self-esteem and modesty, i.e. something that would naturally prevent you from engaging into extended monologues heavily riddled with the pronouns "I" and "me". I'd say: less Forza, more literature, and you'll be all right. Some might say that at 26 it is already too late, but I personally think there's still time.
The douche is strong in this one.....

All jokes aside I do go out to dinner and bars on the weekends and i enjoy a good book, but 80% of the time i have something that has to do with motorsports in my head when im not working. For example im on my lunch break right now and im on the forum
      05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

This

Quote:
Please be honest!
followed by this

Quote:
The douche is strong in this one.....
Is a solid undeniable proof that my analysis is spot on. Bullseye.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
lmao
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
you are one sick puppy.

one of my relatives is also a car collector and has over 2 dozen pontiacs in some godforsaken part of riverside..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

You really do that when you go to make groceries?
Appreciate 0