E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > About to order a Porter Cable 7424 kit - Suggestions please

07-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

About to order a Porter Cable 7424 kit - Suggestions please

Hey guys so I finally decided I want to order a porter cable and be able to do things on my own. I think i'm going to order from the autogeek kit since they include 5 Lake Country pads, and then have a nice list to select from other products. Basically i'm looking for suggestions on what pads I should get and what other products... Here's the link to the site with the list http://www.autogeek.net/ccs-polishing-how-to.html

So far here are my ideas for what to order. For pads I was thinking 2 whites, 1 yellow, 1 gray, and 1 orange. For wax I remember reading about the P21s a few places. Should that be the wax I get or should is something else better on that list? The part I really can't decide what to do on is all the other components like the polish and compound. Haven't really heard of any of those products so don't know which one is the best. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: For the compounds, polishes, waxes, etc if theres something that's better but for a good price and not on that list i'll order from other places like amazon. Really trying to basically get a really good quality set of products that aren't insanely priced
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ

Last edited by psmitty95; 07-17-2013 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
FI PETE
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 328i E90

Get a Rupes 15ES if you can afford it, a bottle of Sonax Perfect Finish, a bottle of Scholl Concepts S3 Gold Compound. For protection I highly recommend Blackfire paint sealant or GTechniq C2v3.
This package will be higher than most out there, BUT if you're shopping based on QUALITY instead of price this is the way to go.

Last edited by FI PETE; 07-18-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

I would suggest getting the Griot's Garage 6" Polisher. You can get it when they have 10-15% sale with no exclusions. You can also try Advance Auto Parts and see if you can apply a 20-40% coupon. It has worked before but I think they have fixed it.

I had the PC 7424XP before and upgraded to the Griot's Garage 6" polisher and was very happy I did. The GG is a lot smoother and more powerful DA polisher. It's pretty close in price with the PC XP too so might as well spend the extra $20 to get this instead.

If you do a search there's a lot of suggestions on where to get pads. I order mine from Auto Detail Solutions. They have the best prices for pads.

Check this thread out http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846729
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
I would suggest getting the Griot's Garage 6" Polisher. You can get it when they have 10-15% sale with no exclusions. You can also try Advance Auto Parts and see if you can apply a 20-40% coupon. It has worked before but I think they have fixed it.

I had the PC 7424XP before and upgraded to the Griot's Garage 6" polisher and was very happy I did. The GG is a lot smoother and more powerful DA polisher. It's pretty close in price with the PC XP too so might as well spend the extra $20 to get this instead.

If you do a search there's a lot of suggestions on where to get pads. I order mine from Auto Detail Solutions. They have the best prices for pads.

Check this thread out http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846729
Ok thanks for the help. I'm gonna do some research on the GG now and read up in that thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIPAD View Post
Get a Rupes 15ES if you can afford it, a bottle of Sonax Perfect Finish, a bottle of Scholl Concepts S3 Gold Compound. For protection I highly recommend Blackfire paint sealant or GTechniq C2v3.
This package will be higher than most out there, BUT if you're shopping based on QUALITY instead of price this is the way to go.
Hmm only ever heard of blackfire. I'll search those and see how much. I am shopping mostly based on quality but don't need anything over the top expensive
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

The griots also comes with a lifetime warranty. Very smooth and powerful DA compared to the PC.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
jbnery6465
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

For pads: it really depends on what you're going to be working on? I would skip the yellow pad unless you plan on doing some heavy cutting/compounding. Otherwise I would suggest getting 2 orange and 2 whites as your compound and polish combo, and 1 gray to apply sealant or waxes. Also look into the pad cleaning brush.
      07-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The griots also comes with a lifetime warranty. Very smooth and powerful DA compared to the PC.
Yea after looking into it I think i'll be going with the griots although one of my friends wants to sell me his Flex. The deal he's offering is $220 for his flex with 10 lake country hydrotech pads... I've been trying to get him down to $200 though

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
For pads: it really depends on what you're going to be working on? I would skip the yellow pad unless you plan on doing some heavy cutting/compounding. Otherwise I would suggest getting 2 orange and 2 whites as your compound and polish combo, and 1 gray to apply sealant or waxes. Also look into the pad cleaning brush.
I guess i'm not going to really be doing heavy cutting/compounding but I figured it would be good to have just in case. 2 orange, 2 white, and a gray sounds like a good combo though

Edit: What does everyone think of the deal on the Flex I posted above? Also for compound/polish what do you guys think of the M105/M205 combo? I've heard good things about it although my friend with the flex says he prefers menzerna
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Get the flex. It is much more powerful than GG or PC. You will spend $60 for 5 pads anyways so it will cost you the same to get the flex as the GG. M105/205 is a great combo, however 105 does dust quite a bit, but you can minimize it by spritzing the pad with some QD or water. I saw Oreilly's sell the 16oz bottles of 105/205 for around $12-15 a bottle which is ideal if you are just working on your car. As for wax, I'd skip the wax and get Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant. This stuff protects as long as sealant, but beads and feels slick like wax.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Yea after looking into it I think i'll be going with the griots although one of my friends wants to sell me his Flex. The deal he's offering is $220 for his flex with 10 lake country hydrotech pads... I've been trying to get him down to $200 though

Edit: What does everyone think of the deal on the Flex I posted above? Also for compound/polish what do you guys think of the M105/M205 combo? I've heard good things about it although my friend with the flex says he prefers menzerna
For $200 with all the pads is a great deal. Why is your friend selling it???? Is he upgrading it to the Rupes????

The Flex 3401 is a great machine but it is a force rotation polisher. If you are new to machine polishing....you might find this machine to be a bit hard to deal with. The power it provides allows you to tackle just about anything but it has a steep learning curve. If you have the basics down from a DA then this is a machine you graduate to. Many novices jump to this machine without the solid fundamentals and soon discover the unforgiving nature of the 3401 (they claimed that it walks on them). As for me....I love it. I can practically stand on it and it will still spin. Ever since I got the Flex, my Makita rotary has been on the side line and my PC 7424XP has been demoted to a wax spreader. My GG still see some action but rarely.
      07-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
For $200 with all the pads is a great deal. Why is your friend selling it???? Is he upgrading it to the Rupes????

The Flex 3401 is a great machine but it is a force rotation polisher. If you are new to machine polishing....you might find this machine to be a bit hard to deal with. The power it provides allows you to tackle just about anything but it has a steep learning curve. If you have the basics down from a DA then this is a machine you graduate to. Many novices jump to this machine without the solid fundamentals and soon discover the unforgiving nature of the 3401 (they claimed that it walks on them). As for me....I love it. I can practically stand on it and it will still spin. Ever since I got the Flex, my Makita rotary has been on the side line and my PC 7424XP has been demoted to a wax spreader. My GG still see some action but rarely.
He's selling it to get a rotary I guess. I am new to machine polishing but am usually a quick learner. I used his flex to wax my car over the weekend and it felt fine although I was only using it on the low speed setting 1 or 2 I believe. Is it really that hard to learn on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangsta View Post
Get the flex. It is much more powerful than GG or PC. You will spend $60 for 5 pads anyways so it will cost you the same to get the flex as the GG. M105/205 is a great combo, however 105 does dust quite a bit, but you can minimize it by spritzing the pad with some QD or water. I saw Oreilly's sell the 16oz bottles of 105/205 for around $12-15 a bottle which is ideal if you are just working on your car. As for wax, I'd skip the wax and get Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant. This stuff protects as long as sealant, but beads and feels slick like wax.
I used the blackfire wax on my car over the weekend and loved it so i'd assume the sealant is as good. I'll definitely be giving that a try. As long as it feels slick, shines, and beads/sheets I am a fan of the product
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIPAD View Post
+1

These are not OTC products. These items have the latest technologies and many believes that they are the best the industry has to offer at this time.
      07-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He's selling it to get a rotary I guess. I am new to machine polishing but am usually a quick learner. I used his flex to wax my car over the weekend and it felt fine although I was only using it on the low speed setting 1 or 2 I believe. Is it really that hard to learn on?
No... it is not hard. It takes some practice and patience. To fully engage the paint, moderate pressure should be use and this is where a lot of people run into trouble. You have to keep the pad flat to the surface or it will run away from you. With the power it generates, you often can use a lesser aggressive approach to get your results.
      07-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No... it is not hard. It takes some practice and patience. To fully engage the paint, moderate pressure should be use and this is where a lot of people run into trouble. You have to keep the pad flat to the surface or it will run away from you. With the power it generates, you often can use a lesser aggressive approach to get your results.
He accepted my deal. So i'm getting the flex with 10 LC pads for $200. So I guess I shouldn't have my car be the first one I detail and practice on? hahaha
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He accepted my deal. So i'm getting the flex with 10 LC pads for $200. So I guess I shouldn't have my car be the first one I detail and practice on? hahaha
Hey... it is a start. If you like, try it on your washing machine.

I was bored one day and I did exactly that. I also wrote a mini-review on it on another forum. I am now the proud owner of the shiniest washer in my neighborhood.

Close up of the defect.

With B&S MF cutting pad

With purple wool foam pad.

Side by side.

After

07-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey... it is a start. If you like, try it on your washing machine.

I was bored one day and I did exactly that. I also wrote a mini-review on it on another forum. I am now the proud owner of the shiniest washer in my neighborhood.

Close up of the defect.

With B&S MF cutting pad

With purple wool foam pad.

Side by side.

After

Hahaha that's actually a pretty good idea. I'll either do that or a little spot on my sisters jeep
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Anyone use any wolfgang products? thinking about getting the wolfgang swirl remover and polish since they seem relatively easy to use, inexpensive, and very effective. A lot of the autogeek videos use them and they seem to work perfect. I would probably pair those two up with the blackfire sealant
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Anyone use any wolfgang products? thinking about getting the wolfgang swirl remover and polish since they seem relatively easy to use, inexpensive, and very effective. A lot of the autogeek videos use them and they seem to work perfect. I would probably pair those two up with the blackfire sealant
Wolfgang Swirl remover was developed by Menzerna for Wolfgang (PBMG). Wolfgang's version of a finishing polish is call Finishing Glaze. I worked with the Swirl remover before and it is a good product. I much prefer the Blackfire SRC compound and SRC polish if we are to keep it in the PBMG family.

Here is a test/review Todd Helm did regarding the best 1-step polish.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-showdown.html
      07-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

The Flex is a great deal with the pads. I suggest practicing on something first before using it on your car though. Watch some videos and read a bit. Search for Junkman on Youtube or Autogeek. They got tons of videos covering everything you need about detailing.

These are the two I'm using

Menz SIP 1500

Menz SF 4000

Use coupon "MEN30" for 30% off on all Menzerna products. There's also the a free shipping code on orders over $95 "AGO2013" if thats better for you.

Also make sure you pick up some decent towels for polish/wax removal.

edit:

Menz seem to be cheaper at Auto Detailing Solutions. Even cheaper with their 15% off coupon "MENZERNA15"

Menz SIP 1500 $26.99 - 15% off = $22.94

Menz SF 4000 $28.99 - 15% off = $24.64

Last edited by Zero_09; 07-18-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Also here's the rest of the coupons that should work on Autogeek

dodo30: 30% off DoDo juice
cgp25: 25% off Chemical Guys
sonax20: 20% off sonax
agcoupon: 10% off

Last edited by Zero_09; 07-18-2013 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #20
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wolfgang Swirl remover was developed by Menzerna for Wolfgang (PBMG). Wolfgang's version of a finishing polish is call Finishing Glaze. I worked with the Swirl remover before and it is a good product. I much prefer the Blackfire SRC compound and SRC polish if we are to keep it in the PBMG family.

Here is a test/review Todd Helm did regarding the best 1-step polish.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-showdown.html
Ok gonna read that link now, thanks again for all the help so far!

Quote:
The Flex is a great deal with the pads. I suggest practicing on something first before using it on your car though. Watch some videos and read a bit. Search for Junkman on Youtube or Autogeek. They got tons of videos covering everything you need about detailing.

These are the two I'm using

Menz SIP 1500

Menz SF 4000

Use coupon "MEN30" for 30% off on all Menzerna products. There's also the a free shipping code on orders over $95 "AGO2013" if thats better for you.

Also make sure you pick up some decent towels for polish/wax removal.

edit:

Menz seem to be cheaper at Auto Detailing Solutions. Even cheaper with their 15% off coupon "MENZERNA15"

Menz SIP 1500 $26.99 - 15% off = $22.94

Menz SF 4000 $28.99 - 15% off = $24.64
Quote:
Also here's the rest of the coupons that should work on Autogeek

dodo30: 30% off DoDo juice
cgp25: 25% off Chemical Guys
sonax20: 20% off sonax
agcoupon: 10% off
Thanks for the info and links! Those are what i'll probably end up with. I've been watching a ton of autogeek videos and think I have a general idea but I won't be doing my car first. I think those two menzerna products might be my best bet then I can do the blackfire sealant and some sort of wax? Really only looking to get 4 good core products right now that can be used on the majority of cars. Compound, polish, sealant, and wax. Also this might be a dumb question but still want to ask it... Is it worth it to apply a wax after a sealant or not really? I already have a ton of chemical guys microfiber towels. Just checked and realized that I ordered 3 packs of 12 accidentally... Whatever, guess these should last a while
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #21
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok gonna read that link now, thanks again for all the help so far!

Thanks for the info and links! Those are what i'll probably end up with. I've been watching a ton of autogeek videos and think I have a general idea but I won't be doing my car first. I think those two menzerna products might be my best bet then I can do the blackfire sealant and some sort of wax? Really only looking to get 4 good core products right now that can be used on the majority of cars. Compound, polish, sealant, and wax. Also this might be a dumb question but still want to ask it... Is it worth it to apply a wax after a sealant or not really? I already have a ton of chemical guys microfiber towels. Just checked and realized that I ordered 3 packs of 12 accidentally... Whatever, guess these should last a while
For a compound you can use Menz FG400

You can also use Menz Power Finish for a 1 step. I've heard great things about it and haven't use it myself.

As for the wax over sealant. I've heard tons of people do that so I assume its fine. Just make sure you're not doing a sealant over a wax. Always sealant first then wax. This is usually the combo people go for to protect the vehicle in the winter.

Menz Power Lock is a sealant if you want to stick with Menz

I personally haven't used it. For a wax I use Bouncer's Vanilla Ice for the summer and Collinite 845 for the winter. As for sealants you can stick with the Blackfire Wet Diamond or use the Blackfire Crystal Sealant. Also Opti-Seal and Utima Paint Guard is very similar but BF is a lot easier to use from what I've read.

Last edited by Zero_09; 07-19-2013 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For a compound you can use Menz FG400

You can also use Menz Power Finish for a 1 step. I've heard great things about it and haven't use it myself.

As for the wax over sealant. I've heard tons of people do that so I assume its fine. Just make sure you're not doing a sealant over a wax. Always sealant first then wax. This is usually the combo people go for to protect the vehicle in the winter.

Menz Power Lock is a sealant if you want to stick with Menz

I personally haven't used it. For a wax I use Bouncer's Vanilla Ice for the summer and Collinite 845 for the winter. As for sealants you can stick with the Blackfire Wet Diamond or use the Blackfire Crystal Sealant. Also Opti-Seal and Utima Paint Guard is very similar but BF is a lot easier to use from what I've read.
Ok awesome, thank you for all the links and the help. Those two seem like good products. So I assume if paint is in really bad condition then I use the FG400 otherwise just use the power finish, right? Should I follow up the FG400 with power finish or don't even need to? I think for now i'll go with powerlock for sealant since i've read the wet diamond has a bit of dusting and the powerlock seems to get good reviews

Last edited by psmitty95; 07-19-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0