E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > help me with a suspension clunk

03-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #45
MCOChuck
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
In my experience, if there’s a rattle or a clunk, it’s usually a bushing. (or a missing bolt, yakes!) Dead shock could also be doing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #46
Stucks
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriston View Post
a few members in the Canada forum also have the same problem.

Do you think its because of the colder weather? I have the same issue, Dropped on FK silver line X's. After around 15K KM. I started to get a clunking noise from my front passenger suspension. Only on uneven roads/parking lots.
I have the same problem. started happening about 600-700 miles after my kw v1 coilover install. Sounds like its coming from the driver side front wheel area. Only happens on uneven roads/parking lots. Usually when i first put the car into drive and begin to move slowly forward. Doesnt really happen as much once i have driven the car for a while and it is warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #47
Ltboogz
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stucks View Post
I have the same problem. started happening about 600-700 miles after my kw v1 coilover install. Sounds like its coming from the driver side front wheel area. Only happens on uneven roads/parking lots. Usually when i first put the car into drive and begin to move slowly forward. Doesnt really happen as much once i have driven the car for a while and it is warmed up.
this is exactly what happened to my st v1 coilovers around the same amount of miles after install. Front driver side only clunks when i first start to drive slowly an over bumps then after a while of driving goes away. Have u found a solution yet? Im goin to the shop tomorrow hopefully it gets fixed
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #48
jrdnlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Anyone found a solution to this yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #49
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

I had this problem once while going up Mulholland drive, I had a baseball sized rock sitting on my control arm. Every turn I took it rocked back in forth and scared the shit outta me cause I had no idea what it was till I got under my car and witnessed this rock wedged between my spring and control arm. You probably don't have the same problem though lol
      03-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #50
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

i have the same noise. All has been checked and is fine. my shop told me is probably the end links which are worn out . I have ordered HP autowerk one. Will see after installation if the noise disappears.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #51
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
We are taking turns bumping this thread when we encounter the same problem. I have had the infamous clunking sound in the front driver's side when going over speed bumps diagonally, especially with left wheel first. I hear the clunk when the left tire goes over the bump; it also happens when the right rear tire crosses the bump.

Suspension: KWV2, H&R Sway Bars front and rear, M3 bushings, control arms/tension rods.

We changed the KWV2 struts, the top hats, the front sway bar end links, (M3 components are new), and it still makes the noise. Not sure what to think, but I'll recheck the inner front sway bar bushings, and confirm the position of that top hat washer #7 everyone has talked about.
      04-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #52
hartge33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

I have the same problem. Sorry for the newbie question but what is the sway bar end link and how do I know it needs to be replaced. The clunking started for me after installing h and r's. The nut on top of the strut first appear to be the problem
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #53
hartge33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

Not sure if this matters but I can hear my noise if I press down on the car manually.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #54
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

I have the same problem...

So I have Bilstein PSS9, they've been installed for about 14K miles. Recently I've started experiencing loud clunkin noise from both front wheel areas. It happens whether I turn or not on bumps and uneven road surfaces. It seems like it is getting worse, not sure what to do except maybe return suspension to stock, then I can at least have dealership work on it.

I took into BMW Northwest (Tacoma) a week or so ago and they hooked up sound sensors in various places and found that it is in fact coming from top hat area. Because I had the Bilstein coilovers, they were reluctant to even remove them. The techs there did some awesome work and brought me into the work bay and showed me a couple of things. First he recomended getting some aftermarket camber plates that are slightly thicker that may help. Second he stood on the brace over my radiator with hood open obviously and had me put my finger on the big nut on the top of the strut tower. While he bounced up and down, I could literally feel the clicks/ clunking with my finger. It made it very apparent to me that this is definately where the noise is coming from.

Shi**y part is, no one has given me a definitive answer on how to fix it. Do I buy some camber plates and give that a shot, I'm not sure. I'm going to take it to a different care place in Woodinville for a second opinion today.

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated!
      04-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #55
DANMACINSD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Suspension "clunking" noise--FIXED

Just got my car back from Woodinville Sports Car. They specialize in BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Good shop, knowledgeable techs, great customer service. They were probably the most responsive place I've ever had service. I explained to them what BMW found and suggested to help prevent potential hours of re-troubleshooting what they already did. The got down to business and checked a couple of things and suggested it may be the upper strut mounts. I've included a couple pics below. The removed the coilover assy on both sides and took out the upper strut mounts. Look at the differences in the pics below, mine is the more silver colored one on the left. You can clearly see how much more compressed the rubber bushing on it is. They believe the compressed mount caused the clunking noise. So they replaced using part number 31 30 6 775 098 and put everything back together. Low and behold, I have zero knocking or clunking noises now. They said they've seen this problem before. For my installation, I had stock "sport" suspension on for 19K miles at which time I put on my Bilstein. I now have 37K on my car total. It was theorized that the stiffer springs and suspension could have accelerated the wear, but there is no proof that is what caused it. He said it appeared they were installed correctly.
Attached Images

04-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #56
ruthless
Rep
Drives: 325i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANMACINSD View Post
Just got my car back from Woodinville Sports Car. They specialize in BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Good shop, knowledgeable techs, great customer service. They were probably the most responsive place I've ever had service. I explained to them what BMW found and suggested to help prevent potential hours of re-troubleshooting what they already did. The got down to business and checked a couple of things and suggested it may be the upper strut mounts. I've included a couple pics below. The removed the coilover assy on both sides and took out the upper strut mounts. Look at the differences in the pics below, mine is the more silver colored one on the left. You can clearly see how much more compressed the rubber bushing on it is. They believe the compressed mount caused the clunking noise. So they replaced using part number 31 30 6 775 098 and put everything back together. Low and behold, I have zero knocking or clunking noises now. They said they've seen this problem before. For my installation, I had stock "sport" suspension on for 19K miles at which time I put on my Bilstein. I now have 37K on my car total. It was theorized that the stiffer springs and suspension could have accelerated the wear, but there is no proof that is what caused it. He said it appeared they were installed correctly.
I replaced the top mounts several times and it'd only good for a week or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #57
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

resurrecting this thread. I have this problem. About 2 months since I had new bilstein HD and top hats installed and then the clunking started. Is it possible that the compression can be accounted for if you just tighten the hell out of the top nut?

FIXED! I figured out my issue. The passenger side fsb end link where it attaches to the strut was loose. It was snug but when I tried to tighten it, it would just turn, I ended up taking an impact gun to it which tightened it enough to where I could then take a ratchet/socket to it and tighten it without it turning. Clunk is gone and car handles better now that I am getting the full value out of the front sway bar!

Last edited by cdgatti; 07-27-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #58
chiaobaby
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Having this issue as well changed all 4 to b6 on my E90 335I after 1000 miles of driving I have clunking noises took my wheels off and checked the endlinks thy are tight the only other thing I changed was the sway bar I installed a M# sway bar.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #59
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaobaby View Post
Having this issue as well changed all 4 to b6 on my E90 335I after 1000 miles of driving I have clunking noises took my wheels off and checked the endlinks thy are tight the only other thing I changed was the sway bar I installed a M# sway bar.
I had the same issue after 1000 miles when I changed to B6s, E93 M3 sway bar, and Meyle HD endlinks. Although the upper endlink nuts *looked* tight, they were not. I jacked the car up until the front tires were in the air, put a 2x4 under the tire (using a 4x4 as a fulcrum) and moved the wheel up and down through the entire suspension travel. It was only then that I noticed the upper endlink bolt wasn't tight enough and was allowing the sway bar to move up and down with the strut; creating the clunking noise.

CN: retighten ALL of your endlink nuts.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #60
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I have a totally stock setup. If this is suspension/break related would my CPO extended warranty cover the repair? End link, or such? Work pads of course are on me but if its suspension related?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 06:06 PM   #61
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

I had the clunking rattling issue and fixed it. It was my caliper brake pad clip it had fallen off bought a new one and fixed the issue
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #62
Fitz335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Estoril Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
would someone mind posting a picture of these end links, also should I tighten them with the wheels on/off? Thanks. Finished putting new Rotors/Pads on last night and now I have a clunk, everything from the brake job seems to be attached firmly.
Appreciate 0