E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need some help,clunking noise kw v1 (video)

11-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Need some help,clunking noise kw v1 (video)

Hey guys,I have install my kw v1,and I have this clunking noise when I turn the wheel either side,now I notice something today when I lift the car to check the noise,I notice that on the pass side when I have the car on the lift am able to move the spring with the strut mount altogether,but on the driver side it wont move,but when I move the entire wheel on the driver side the strut mount with the spring move find together with the strut,but on the pass side wants to skip when I move the wheel causing the clunking noise,so my question is,the pass strut mount is not good or what,please let me know if I need new strut mount (guide support),and if any body experience some like this,and let me know if you guys understand what am saying,if not I will make a video so u guys can see what am saying, in ,I know someone say on another tread,that something the nut is not tie right,but I check and is right,and if I tie the strut nut like really tie,then the clunking noise get worse because when I tie the strut nut really hard,and I lift the car the strut mount and the spring wont move,but it will skip more,so I dont know I may do a video late today and post it in here,but if someone is experience this and find a solution please let me know,another thing,I replace the lower control arms,and I didn't have much of a clunking noise,maybe once in a while,but now after I put the lower control arms in both side is much worse,and is only on the pass side,before when I have the clunking noise once in a while it was on the pass side also,well on the pass side all the way,thanks in advance.

Note:how can I tell if my strut mounts are gone,like if I pull pull the coilovers out how can I tell?
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...

Last edited by avenger2540; 11-18-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bump!!! now with the video,I hope I get some advice...
09 e92 335xi Alpine White, Saddle Interior, Sport pkg, Cold pkg, Comfort pkg, Premium pkg, Adactive Headlights, Black Kidney Grill, M3front, Mtech rear, M3side skirts, CF Performance spoiler, Kw v1, 19" M6 Replicas Hankook Ventus v12 evo...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Man,I cant believe that nobody hasn't post anything yet...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
From the vid I'd say your strut top mount has been wrongly fitted and is seized. The lower perch is allowing a little movement, but the top is clearly locked. Possibly been wrongly assembled..?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

did you text that write up with your elbows?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
From the vid I'd say your strut top mount has been wrongly fitted and is seized. The lower perch is allowing a little movement, but the top is clearly locked. Possibly been wrongly assembled..?
I did it my self,and I put everything back together like on the driver side,I may have too take out the pass side and double check,now when I lift the car the spring comes loose with the strut mount and I can even move it with my hands left and right but not the strut,but not on the driver side,so I dont know why may be u right,I may need to double check,thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
did you text that write up with your elbows?
No,I have someone inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Am open to more advices if someothers wants to help also...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger2540
Hey guys,I have install my kw v1,and I have this clunking noise when I turn the wheel either side,now I notice something today when I lift the car to check the noise,I notice that on the pass side when I have the car on the lift am able to move the spring with the strut mount altogether,but on the driver side it wont move,but when I move the entire wheel on the driver side the strut mount with the spring move find together with the strut,but on the pass side wants to skip when I move the wheel causing the clunking noise,so my question is,the pass strut mount is not good or what,please let me know if I need new strut mount (guide support),and if any body experience some like this,and let me know if you guys understand what am saying,if not I will make a video so u guys can see what am saying, in ,I know someone say on another tread,that something the nut is not tie right,but I check and is right,and if I tie the strut nut like really tie,then the clunking noise get worse because when I tie the strut nut really hard,and I lift the car the strut mount and the spring wont move,but it will skip more,so I dont know I may do a video late today and post it in here,but if someone is experience this and find a solution please let me know,another thing,I replace the lower control arms,and I didn't have much of a clunking noise,maybe once in a while,but now after I put the lower control arms in both side is much worse,and is only on the pass side,before when I have the clunking noise once in a while it was on the pass side also,well on the pass side all the way,thanks in advance.

Note:how can I tell if my strut mounts are gone,like if I pull pull the coilovers out how can I tell?
Yes it's your upper mounts I had same problem with mine. Once you change the upper mounts slowly lower the car down so it's sits properly on the upper mounts.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy328I View Post
Yes it's your upper mounts I had same problem with mine. Once you change the upper mounts slowly lower the car down so it's sits properly on the upper mounts.
So u think that my strut mount are wrong sitting,or u think my strut mount are gone,and I need to replace it?

Last edited by avenger2540; 11-19-2012 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Any other advice before the weekend?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
MHE90M3
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I am having the same problem with my KW V1 as well. The clunking sound is coming out from the front left suspension. Any solution???
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
avenger2540
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc-e93 View Post
I am having the same problem with my KW V1 as well. The clunking sound is coming out from the front left suspension. Any solution???
Yes,I fix it,I bought a strut mount,and after I bought it,I find out that I put the big washer in the wrong spot,the big washer going between the strut mount and the upper spring plate,and I put it on underneath of the upper spring plate in top of the shock absorber ,so that's why it was causing the clunking noise,the strut mount was stock in top of the upper spring mount,so didn't have enough room to move freely cousing that crazy noise,so I return the strut mount,and the clunking noise is gone,so double check ur suspension and look that everything is correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
MHE90M3
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger2540 View Post
Yes,I fix it,I bought a strut mount,and after I bought it,I find out that I put the big washer in the wrong spot,the big washer going between the strut mount and the upper spring plate,and I put it on underneath of the upper spring plate in top of the shock absorber ,so that's why it was causing the clunking noise,the strut mount was stock in top of the upper spring mount,so didn't have enough room to move freely cousing that crazy noise,so I return the strut mount,and the clunking noise is gone,so double check ur suspension and look that everything is correct.
Ok! I will double check mine! Thanks alot.
Appreciate 0