Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Flat tire warning won't go away

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-31-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
cgmb16
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Flat tire warning won't go away

Yesterday was the first time we have had freezing temps so far this year (at least at my house), and I know that cold weather/air affects air pressure in tires. I got in, started the vehicle only to get a huge red tire ! symbol. I knew what it was and checked the pressure in all 4 tires. Everything seemed to be normal. I reset the system and 30 mins later the same thing happened. This went on all day long. On the way home from work, I finally got it to go away and this morning it was back on again. I have checked the air pressure 3 different times. All of the tires have normal pressure and none of the tires appear to be flat. I called the dealer and they said it may be a faulty sensor. Does anyone know of this being a problem? I am taking it in tomorrow morning.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151760
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
speedgod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

I had the same issue with cold weather. I had my car in at the dealer and told them about this with another problem it was in for. They found nothing wrong on the TPM's.
They said if it does it again to call and bring it in. Such a pain though as the weather has been nice it will not do it. Guess I wait for the colder temps to come back and keep fingers crossed.

SG

-Taylor Knox
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
have to ask, but you're sure you're resetting the system correctly.
      10-31-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
2007_E93
Captain
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmb16 View Post
Yesterday was the first time we have had freezing temps so far this year (at least at my house), and I know that cold weather/air affects air pressure in tires. I got in, started the vehicle only to get a huge red tire ! symbol. I knew what it was and checked the pressure in all 4 tires. Everything seemed to be normal. I reset the system and 30 mins later the same thing happened. This went on all day long. On the way home from work, I finally got it to go away and this morning it was back on again. I have checked the air pressure 3 different times. All of the tires have normal pressure and none of the tires appear to be flat. I called the dealer and they said it may be a faulty sensor. Does anyone know of this being a problem? I am taking it in tomorrow morning.
what is you PSI reading? I had 30 psi and sensor said low tire pressure warning light. Then, I inflated to about 36-38 psi as per driver manual's recs for driving over 100 mph. I dont always drive over 100 so I split the difference between the manuals recs for under 100 (~32-35) and over 100 (~38-40). Mine went away after I did that and reset it. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Deveray
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i X-Drive Touring

I got the same warning on the first cold morning too. My pressures were about 28psi all round so I put them all up to 33 and it was fine. I guess there are 2 possible causes of your problem a) you pumped the tires up fine and there is a faulty pressure sensor b) your tire gauge is faulty and the tires are at a lower pressure than you think they are, and the car's pressure sensor is correct
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
cgmb16
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
have to ask, but you're sure you're resetting the system correctly.
Yeah....I assume that I am because when I do it, it shows a clock symbol moving....then all the lights go away. Then about 10-15 minutes later it pops back on.

As for the other post about checking the pressure. I checked the pressure with three different gauges. They all read the same thing. The pressure that was listed on the door is what the gauges read. That is why I think it could be a bad sensor or something.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

Quote:
my car did that when the rear tire had a slight leak...everytime i checked the pressure it was at 36 so I kept resetting and ignoring...I gave it a few days checked the rpressure and it was so low the guage couldn't read it....now I fill it every morning while i am waiting for my new wheels and rubber.
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
ZBMW
Black Forest Bimmerphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Having had this problem every Fall with my 350Z I wasn't surprised to get a low pressure signal recently. Filled them all to factory spec (one was down to 28.5) and did the reset thing. It didn't react the way the manual said it would so I tried holding it longer. Finally decided to ignore it and take it to the dealer when I got a chance.I drove about 15 miles, the last 5 at freeway speeds and the warning disappeared.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #9
My1stbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 Sapphire Blk loaded

Had the same problem with front driver side front tire for about a week. reset it checked it filled it and so on one day I filled all four tires to Recommened tire pressure and it stopped haven't had it since then.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
clc5174
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 'vert

Do a search. I recall seeing information (here or on bimmerfest.com) about a service bulletin regarding TPM. I think it's a software fix. Have also seen a thread where the root cause was a bad antenna?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
cgmb16
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc5174 View Post
Do a search. I recall seeing information (here or on bimmerfest.com) about a service bulletin regarding TPM. I think it's a software fix. Have also seen a thread where the root cause was a bad antenna?
I searched for a good 30-40 mins. All I found was people wanting to know the difference between the FTM and the TPMS. I just got a call from the dealer. They reset the system with a computer in the shop. He said that the way the manual says to reset doesn't work right all the time. All I know is, I hope it is fixed and doesn't happen again! Thanks for everyones input!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
clc5174
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 'vert

Quote:
I searched for a good 30-40 mins. All I found was people wanting to know the difference between the FTM and the TPMS. I just got a call from the dealer. They reset the system with a computer in the shop. He said that the way the manual says to reset doesn't work right all the time. All I know is, I hope it is fixed and doesn't happen again! Thanks for everyones input!
Found a few threads that might provide more info/background. Sorry I didn't have time to look before. Hope your problem's solved.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235890
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231147
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
Senres
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc5174 View Post
Do a search. I recall seeing information (here or on bimmerfest.com) about a service bulletin regarding TPM. I think it's a software fix.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

This happened recently to my E90 328i. The flat tire warning poppped up but the pressure on all four tires was fine. I took it to the dealer and they checked the tire pressure and tried resetting the system. Turns out there was a service bulletin about it and it just required a software upgrade.
      03-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
eppisgood
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i

Had the same issue on Saturday when we had a cold storm come through, red alert that all 4 wheels were low pressure. Checked it and had 30-31 PSI readings on all 4 wheels, put a little air into it to bring it up to 33 PSI. But the thing is on the TPM screen RESET is greyed out/can't select it. Perhaps this is the service bulletin that I couldn't find using the search feature.
      10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

My 2006 330xi is giving me warnings with the temp fluctuations here in Michigan. Its near freezing in the morning and 60's in the day. All my tires are fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
Ryballz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

It's going off in the morning because the pressure is low. You're supposed to check/fill them while cold. Before you get in, check them and fill to required pressure on the door sticker.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
jacobsed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryballz View Post
It's going off in the morning because the pressure is low. You're supposed to check/fill them while cold. Before you get in, check them and fill to required pressure on the door sticker.
Yes I am aware of all that. Turns out my driver's side rear tire was flat. The inside edge started to shred. Funny thing is the car felt and drove fine...haha. The runflat is pretty amazing. I'm currently shopping for non RFT tires. Seriously considering the Hankook V12's.
Appreciate 0