E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > PBX vs AA

01-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
DJRIS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray E92

PBX vs AA

im trying to do some work under the hood on my n52... first things first i was thinking about throwing a chip in it... now i know powerbox is under 300... but is the 500 dollars i will spend for the active autowerkz mod be that much worth it? i was also thinking about an intake... what would u recommend for me ? thanks alotttt
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
As far as intake goes, just do a carbon filter delete and get an afe drop in and scoops. Cold air intakes sound good but don't do much.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
eurostylz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328

AA is better then PBX .. AA is a real tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

2 things you should automatically shit can from your mind right now: PBX and CAI.

I just UNINSTALLED an aFe stage 2 CAI because I lost a ton of power with it on my car. I removed the PBX after 3 weeks because it made absolutely no difference at the track.

If you want to get some real power go for the AA or OE tunes. Personally I would do exhaust before either of those. Contact Craven 328 on this board from MMW and ask for pricing on his headers and muffler. Sweetest sounding and best bang for the buck. After you do that you can get the tune modified for running with the free flowing exhaust setup you're running, that way you can maximize your gains.

As Anthony said, Carbon Filter Delete, Scoops, and K&N Drop in for your intake. That's all you need. Unless you decide to do a 3 stage manifold swap. Gotta shell out some serious cash for that though.

Hope this helps.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Only annoying problem about a flash tune, is that every time BMW does an 'update' - they erase your custom tune and it needs to be reloaded

In the case where you have to send your ECU in for aftermarket flash, since you are not local to tuning company, this is a real PITA

I've never before seen a car company that has such a love for reprogramming the car every frackin time you bring it in. I have it in writing in my service records that no reprogramming can be done without my signature 1st. But sooner or later there is gonna be an update that I will prolly need to have done.

Hell, I've had my custom tune in my GM's (and constantly tweak them) for 10 yrs without ever having to worry about it being overwritten.

With my GM's I have the tuning software - so actually I could reload it at will if I ever needed to...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Only annoying problem about a flash tune, is that every time BMW does an 'update' - they erase your custom tune and it needs to be reloaded

In the case where you have to send your ECU in for aftermarket flash, since you are not local to tuning company, this is a real PITA

I've never before seen a car company that has such a love for reprogramming the car every frackin time you bring it in. I have it in writing in my service records that no reprogramming can be done without my signature 1st. But sooner or later there is gonna be an update that I will prolly need to have done.

Hell, I've had my custom tune in my GM's (and constantly tweak them) for 10 yrs without ever having to worry about it being overwritten.

With my GM's I have the tuning software - so actually I could reload it at will if I ever needed to...
You didn't happen to be on LS1tech before this, were you? Could swear I've seen your T/A before on there back when I had mine.

Anyway, once the EZflash module gets released, its gonna make this PITA a hell of a lot easier to deal with. Stupid stealerships...
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Actually, yes I spent a lot of time over the years on that forum - same car in my sig, same handle.

I still have that car and after 35k+ in mods over the $27K I spent on the car, I pretty much am done and have it where I want it. Especially after the Lingenfelter built 427 install

I still love the design of that car and the power/handling - not gonna ever get rid of it. It's now 11 yrs old with only 34k miles on it & you don't see many of them at the car shows any more. I told my wife to just bury me in that car in one big box...

Who were you over there & what did you have? Why'd you get rid of it?

I currently have the PBX, and happy with it for what it is - but obviously would go for a full out tune if it was EZ to reload yourself. After years of playing with the LS tuning software & getting good at it - I don't think I could go through that again with BMW tuning.

I understand there's only so much you can do with the N52, but I'm not looking to go to great extremes on the BMW as I did on my LS cars as it is simply my DD.

What's this EZFlash you speak of? 1st I heard of it
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:

To be honest they would have to deliberately flash the ECU. You will not lose your tune if they just do a firmware/ software update. I hear this so many times, and it is simply UNTRUE. Please don't worry guys, you would have to have an ECU/ engine specific issue in order for them to mess with that aspect of your modding.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
2 things you should automatically shit can from your mind right now: PBX and CAI.

I just UNINSTALLED an aFe stage 2 CAI because I lost a ton of power with it on my car. I removed the PBX after 3 weeks because it made absolutely no difference at the track.

If you want to get some real power go for the AA or OE tunes. Personally I would do exhaust before either of those. Contact Craven 328 on this board from MMW and ask for pricing on his headers and muffler. Sweetest sounding and best bang for the buck. After you do that you can get the tune modified for running with the free flowing exhaust setup you're running, that way you can maximize your gains.

As Anthony said, Carbon Filter Delete, Scoops, and K&N Drop in for your intake. That's all you need. Unless you decide to do a 3 stage manifold swap. Gotta shell out some serious cash for that though.

Hope this helps.
+1. NIGHT and DAY difference from the piggyback PBX and the AA tune. Owned both. AA FTW
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
My bad

I guess I'm old school and so used to working on cars that only have ONE ECU that controls the engine - therefore any flash would overwrite the engine parameters.

Our cars have many modules to program that could be updated that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual engine parameters so updating them would have no effect on engine tune
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, yes I spent a lot of time over the years on that forum - same car in my sig, same handle.

I still have that car and after 35k+ in mods over the $27K I spent on the car, I pretty much am done and have it where I want it. Especially after the Lingenfelter built 427 install

I still love the design of that car and the power/handling - not gonna ever get rid of it. It's now 11 yrs old with only 34k miles on it & you don't see many of them at the car shows any more. I told my wife to just bury me in that car in one big box...

Who were you over there & what did you have? Why'd you get rid of it?

I currently have the PBX, and happy with it for what it is - but obviously would go for a full out tune if it was EZ to reload yourself. After years of playing with the LS tuning software & getting good at it - I don't think I could go through that again with BMW tuning.

I understand there's only so much you can do with the N52, but I'm not looking to go to great extremes on the BMW as I did on my LS cars as it is simply my DD.

What's this EZFlash you speak of? 1st I heard of it

Meet Alice. '99 Trans Am A4. Sold her with just over 44K miles on the clock because I couldn't get around in the winter time. I was in high school then and couldn't afford a second car for the winter. What a mistake that was. I still think its been the best car I've ever owned. BMR Drop Springs, Suncoast WS6 hood and box, 30th Anniversary Stripes, Blacked out turn signals, sidemarkers, and 3rd brake light, Polished Center piece, Custom Dyno Tune, C6 Corvette 18" Black Chrome wheels, Vredestein Ultrac 275 rubber on all 4 corners, CETA Bumper. Was mostly a show car. Had plenty of power for me then. My handle is Heartbreak1 on Ls1tech. I still go there to look at the random pics thread. lol
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The AA is a customized tune that is optimal if you have aftermarket bolt ons. The PBX is a great off the shelf option but for a true tune, go with AA.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
335imax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Everything he says is Golden...

I AGREE HERE
Quote:

Hope this helps.
      01-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Meet Alice. '99 Trans Am A4. Sold her with just over 44K miles on the clock because I couldn't get around in the winter time. I was in high school then and couldn't afford a second car for the winter. What a mistake that was. I still think its been the best car I've ever owned. BMR Drop Springs, Suncoast WS6 hood and box, 30th Anniversary Stripes, Blacked out turn signals, sidemarkers, and 3rd brake light, Polished Center piece, Custom Dyno Tune, C6 Corvette 18" Black Chrome wheels, Vredestein Ultrac 275 rubber on all 4 corners, CETA Bumper. Was mostly a show car. Had plenty of power for me then. My handle is Heartbreak1 on Ls1tech. I still go there to look at the random pics thread. lol
God that car is gorgeous
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
The AA is a customized tune that is optimal if you have aftermarket bolt ons. The PBX is a great off the shelf option but for a true tune, go with AA.
I agree the PBX is good too, of course it is not designed for anyone to gain any edge at the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi/2002 ws6

hey im on ls1tech same name as well. Modded WS6 to play with and a 2007 E92 328xi for the daily. im not planing on doing any tuning but will put the K&N drop in and carbon delete plus the bmw performance exhaust. here are my rides.

01-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Well, since we turned this into a T/A pic fest - here's mine:

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

niceeee
      01-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #19
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
That's the Steelers Black n Gold Tribute

What times do you run with those slicks? I can't get out of the 11's with those street tires shown - course I don't like to warm them up properly either since they're $300/tire
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #20
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well are you in the 11 with those street tires...i say that pretty fast. i was doing 12.30s when i was stock with a nitto. now with all my mods and the slicks its high 10s off the bottle
      01-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #21
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's the Steelers Black n Gold Tribute

What times do you run with those slicks? I can't get out of the 11's with those street tires shown - course I don't like to warm them up properly either since they're $300/tire
You need drag radials or slicks on different wheels for the track. Wouldn't hurt to have a set of V6 rear springs lying around to throw in when you want to go run either. Not real hard to swap rear springs on those cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #22
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerflash View Post
well are you in the 11 with those street tires...i say that pretty fast. i was doing 12.30s when i was stock with a nitto. now with all my mods and the slicks its high 10s off the bottle
I had a sweet dual bottle NOS system at one time - decided not to install and went with a NA LS427 instead.

I don't take it to the track that often, so I'm no expert with the car in that aspect at all. Not very much traction off the line.

If you're running 10's with the stock size engine + NOS that ain't bad
Appreciate 0