E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modify OEM exhaust to sound like PE exhaust

12-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #331
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
PS How come you didn't remove 100% of packing from right side, instead of the 75% you chose to?
I had no idea what the result would be, so I played it safe
      12-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #332
Airdanny
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan335i View Post
Just got back from the shop... Here's the cliff notes

1. Mufflers had packing in both sides (e90)

2. Left stock resonator there to control rasp

3. Removed 95% of packing left only a handful in each muffler. Just enough to coat the bottom of the muffler

4. Didn't touch any piping

5. Zero drone (6at so I'm very happy)

6. Brought some more growl in the bottom end but really haven't got enough seat time to give an honest review.

7. Tomorrow/Saturday expect a new thread that will include videos and pictures

8. I am very happy with it so far no regrets
Want to hear video!!!
      12-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #333
TigOn.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 CZP,07 e90 335 FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan335i

3. Removed 95% of packing left only a handful in each muffler. Just enough to coat the bottom of the muffler

6. Brought some more growl in the bottom end but really haven't got enough seat time to give an honest review.

Can't wait! Hopefully you won't disappear like the last guy that said he was going to post videos and a thread for everything.
Im assuming thats me you talking about lol

I been busy but im here at the muffler shop right now getting the moddified mufflers installed.

*They replaced all perforated pipes with ss pipes.
*replaced the mini muffler inside with ss pipe.
*left all packing inside the mufflers intact and everything else as it was for that matter.

Videos will be up next.

Garage///2013 e92 M3 ZCP ///2007 e90 335 FBO///
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #334
TigOn.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey ya'll sorry about the delay but i been busy with work. Im now dealing with what i think is a boost leak after installing a CPE charge pipe AFTER installing the modded exhaust so i havent wanted to take out a video until all is running great again.

for those that want to expedite the exhaust videos and want to help i get the half engine light momentarily when going full throttle however power does not seem to be affected. i cant locate a leak in the throttle body? Maybe boost sensor got fucked up in the install...

So to recap the exhaust shop.

*Replaced all perforated pipes with stainless steel one (4 total)
*Took out the mini muffler/resonator inside the mufflers
*Put all packing material back inside
*left everything else as it was.

My initial reaction was.... Wow this is not loud AT ALL and i was a bit disapointed at that, however im coming from Magnaflow mufflers (very deep and loud sound!) so i think my ears are now fucked up from the Magnas
The exhaust gurgles back again now (didnt after Magnaflow muffler install) and its got an aggressive tone however imo it needs to be louder. I like the fact that there is 100% no drone now, which i did have with the Magnaflows. For those on the App that cant see my mods im basically FBO on JB4 map5 running 50/50 e85/93.

Yesterday night on my drive back home right before the CPE CP failed install i did get to take the car for a drive and thats when i started to really appreciate the sound, basically the sound i had when i had my OEM mufflers untoched with DPs and fully FBO but better, more aggressive and gurgley.

So i really like the exhaust mod sound but i want it louder! Im thinking on replacing the resonator on my e90 with a X-pipe to see if i can bring out the sound even more.

For those of you thinking that replacing the perforated pipes with solid pipe is basically a muffler delete, well its not, nothing like a muffler delete. Not nearly as loud and NO DRONE.

I will try to get my charge pipe/ boost issues resolved this weekend so i can post some videos and i will post some pics of the modded cans as well.

Is anyone with a BMW PE willing to meet in the South Florida area so that i can compare the sound? also anyone thats FBO, golf tee mod and untoched OEM cans so that we can compare and take vids.

late.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #335
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

^ Sorry about your issue! Hope you get that fixed. From your description the modded muffler seems to have a good sound, do you think it would be loud if you removed some packing? I'd imagine it would make it a bit louder. Also, good idea on trying to get comparisons it would really be nice if you can get that together. Anyway, good luck on fixing your problem!
      12-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #336
TigOn.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
^ Sorry about your issue! Hope you get that fixed. From your description the modded muffler seems to have a good sound, do you think it would be loud if you removed some packing? I'd imagine it would make it a bit louder. Also, good idea on trying to get comparisons it would really be nice if you can get that together. Anyway, good luck on fixing your problem!

I dont know but i suppose that it would be louder without the packing however the muffler tech recommended i keep the packing for rattling, heat, drone issues and so far i have none of those.

I think that replacing my resonator with an X-pipe will finally bring the sound im looking for.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #337
Airdanny
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i

^ Sorry to hear about your problem, hope you get it fixed soon! On the other hand, aside from the muffler mod, what else have you done to your exhaust(catless dp, 2nd cat delete)? Currently I have 3" catless downpipes, X pipe insetad of resonator, secondary cats and OEM muffler... I know it might be difficult for you to compare, but how does my exhaust sound compare to yours? I deffinately want mine louder, so am debating whether to remove secondary cats and remove the mini resonator inside the muffler...
Thanks!!

12-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #338
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigOn. View Post
Hey ya'll sorry about the delay but i been busy with work. Im now dealing with what i think is a boost leak after installing a CPE charge pipe AFTER installing the modded exhaust so i havent wanted to take out a video until all is running great again.

for those that want to expedite the exhaust videos and want to help i get the half engine light momentarily when going full throttle however power does not seem to be affected. i cant locate a leak in the throttle body? Maybe boost sensor got fucked up in the install...

So to recap the exhaust shop.

*Replaced all perforated pipes with stainless steel one (4 total)
*Took out the mini muffler/resonator inside the mufflers
*Put all packing material back inside
*left everything else as it was.

My initial reaction was.... Wow this is not loud AT ALL and i was a bit disapointed at that, however im coming from Magnaflow mufflers (very deep and loud sound!) so i think my ears are now fucked up from the Magnas
The exhaust gurgles back again now (didnt after Magnaflow muffler install) and its got an aggressive tone however imo it needs to be louder. I like the fact that there is 100% no drone now, which i did have with the Magnaflows. For those on the App that cant see my mods im basically FBO on JB4 map5 running 50/50 e85/93.

Yesterday night on my drive back home right before the CPE CP failed install i did get to take the car for a drive and thats when i started to really appreciate the sound, basically the sound i had when i had my OEM mufflers untoched with DPs and fully FBO but better, more aggressive and gurgley.

So i really like the exhaust mod sound but i want it louder! Im thinking on replacing the resonator on my e90 with a X-pipe to see if i can bring out the sound even more.

For those of you thinking that replacing the perforated pipes with solid pipe is basically a muffler delete, well its not, nothing like a muffler delete. Not nearly as loud and NO DRONE.

I will try to get my charge pipe/ boost issues resolved this weekend so i can post some videos and i will post some pics of the modded cans as well.

Is anyone with a BMW PE willing to meet in the South Florida area so that i can compare the sound? also anyone thats FBO, golf tee mod and untoched OEM cans so that we can compare and take vids.

late.
^^This. I did take out the packing though. And changed the lag fix on my JB4 to 80, which makes it sound SWEET! I get compliments all day when I go to meets!
      12-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #339
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz_335i View Post
^^This. I did take out the packing though. And changed the lag fix on my JB4 to 80, which makes it sound SWEET! I get compliments all day when I go to meets!
Heard it yesterday, it just gurgles everywhere. Sounds awesome

Also, don't know if you guys have seen/heard this one before:
      12-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #340
Radioactivem3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Coupe M/T

I Just purchased the BMW Performance exhaust yesterday and installed it today! It is INCREDIBLE! Really happy with it! catless downpipes are my next venture but i need to get on my Techs goodside so i dont have to take them out everytime because it is a $300 uninstall+ putting them back in afterward. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #341
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shim! View Post
Heard it yesterday, it just gurgles everywhere. Sounds awesome

Also, don't know if you guys have seen/heard this one before:
Thanks Shim! Was definitely nice to meet you! Hopefully we all do one or two more meets before everyone starts selling!
      01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #342
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Here is my very late contribution lol

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13310950

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #343
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:

Thanks for doing the vid, though I would have also loved to get sound clips from INSIDE the car, since that's where I am normally when I hear the exhaust sounds, and not sitting on the trunk lid!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #344
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Thanks for doing the vid, though I would have also loved to get sound clips from INSIDE the car, since that's where I am normally when I hear the exhaust sounds, and not sitting on the trunk lid!
Ill do one just for you soon

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #345
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan335i

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for the in cabin video.
      01-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #346
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:

Was this a shop in orlando? Ive been thinking about doing this. Will you be at the UCF meet on the 11th? I'd like to hear what it sounds like.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #347
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xborndaballx View Post
Was this a shop in orlando? Ive been thinking about doing this. Will you be at the UCF meet on the 11th? I'd like to hear what it sounds like.
Yea the shop was near UCF and ill be at the meet just lemme know ill take you for a ride.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #348
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Yea the shop was near UCF and ill be at the meet just lemme know ill take you for a ride.
Sounds good man, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #349
unoriginal
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Do you mind saying how much they charged you? I'm near UCF as well, and looking to get it done.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #350
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoriginal View Post
Do you mind saying how much they charged you? I'm near UCF as well, and looking to get it done.
$250

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #351
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

So what happened to most of the people saying they were going to post videos but havent lol
      02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #352
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
So what happened to most of the people saying they were going to post videos but havent lol
Its to damn cold to get me in the garage and start working on mine lol.
Appreciate 0